Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Developers’ note: With the launch of Shadowlands, we reduced the maximum number of targets that several abilities could hit specifically to address a few gameplay problems related to pulling a large number of enemies in dungeons. Players often refer to these changes as the “AOE target cap.” Our intention was to reduce the effectiveness of burst AOE buttons against large target counts (i.e. 15-20 enemies) while also increasing their effectiveness against fewer targets (e.g. 3-5 enemies) and communicating that strength clearly in the tooltips. The abilities that remained “uncapped” were generally ones that offered lower damage over a longer period of time (e.g. Blizzard or Consecration). Along with other changes, we set out to move away from “pull as many enemies as possible, use all your cooldowns and delete them” as the predominant strategy across various forms of content.
    We’ve received a lot of feedback that these abilities not hitting enemies in their range in any way creates a feel problem for WoW combat but is also an issue for trivial encounters like farming legacy content. For many of the abilities that underwent the change from uncapped to a strict target cap in 9.0, we’re converting the damage to “reduced damage beyond 5 targets.” This means that the ability will deal full damage against 5 targets, then reduced damage to each additional target beyond 5. This means that while the overall damage done by the ability increases with the number of targets, the individual damage done to each target will decrease. This solution means these abilities and their relative classes will still have a very strong niche against packs of 4-6 enemies. As always, tuning will change as a result of this shift over the next few weeks based on your feedback from the PTR.
    Actual translation:

With the launch of Shadowlands, a senior manager advocated that we reduce AoE to fewer targets so we could reduce the number and/or size of VMs needed to do the calculations against large numbers of targets in consideration with already over-consolidating servers together.

While we laughed at the people who thought their argument about the "feel" of the game was affected, now that we find ourselves running with lower numbers of subscribers, we've combed past comments to develop an excuse to kind of put things back to where they were, but with enough of a change that approximately 1/2 of the playerbase will be fooled by this rationale.

Now just put back the third item on m+ like its supposed to be and we are off to a good start, pugging 15s with less than 40% chance to receive some loot feels pretty bad specially when you are after a specific piece

People attribute far more attention to senior management instead of accepting the reality. Senior management is in it for the money. That's the game of capitalism. And especially in the US where the Chicago School of Economics is the institution that has the most influence on capitalistic economic policy. For those unaware, the ideas of the CSoE directly led to the economic crash that was felt around the world and still plagues us today.

This is all Ion and his vision. Understand this, if Ion was a GM of an RPG then he would be the kind of GM that imposes their vision of the game should run on the playersinstead of actually listening to them. He would be "that guy" in GM form.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cena View Post
    PTR 9.1.5 Development Notes[*]Shaman
    • Elemental
      • Storm Elemental’s (Talent) Eye of the Storm

LOL why isn't chain lighting uncapped?
    Chain lightning is not an AoE ability, it's a cleave ability.

Where are the new Druid travel forms?

Quote Originally Posted by Scroolooseuk View Post
    Where are the new Druid travel forms?
    Four new Travel Form appearances are now available.
    Says it in the notes.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

"We've received a ton of feedback blah blah didn't care to listen before blah until everyone started to leave and now we are being yelled at to blah blah blah"

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine selling what should have been done a year ago as a new content update. Like 70% of these patch notes is stuff that should have been changed in the SL beta because of player feedback.

How they have could maintain a playerbase doing this on repeat for 10 years is beyond me and reading these comments, people still eat it up raw.

"Oh thank you blizzard, blizzard you finally listen oh my god best gaming company in the world ooh thank you blizzard. Please sell me a new mount too blizzard, please."

Quote Originally Posted by TyloBedo View Post
    And yet Cleave is literally on the list lol. Cleave must just not be a cleave ability.

Not liking this pvp change.

Would look at that , so they could solve the problems plaguing shadowlands and listen to player feedback

It only takes a massive lawsuit and mass exodus of players, let hope those happen every expansion

10+ Year Old Account
    Too little too late.

These notes are almost the exact list of grievances I had with shadowlands during beta. And I know it was most of the community as well, and it was voiced loud and clear. Unfortunate it took a year losing subs and the state of California dropping a lawsuit on them to finally realize they should make their players happy instead of farming them like cattle.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    And yet Cleave is literally on the list lol. Cleave must just not be a cleave ability.
    Yes the warrior "cleave" ability is no longer a cleave effect. In legion the warrior cleave ability was changed from a targeted ability that strikes additional enemies to be an an area of effect in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaade View Post
    This is also the patch that expresses that they've effectively sidelined Ion as many of the QoL things were stuff suggested in the beta that he chose to make a stand against for his artistic vision. Metaphorically the hill he chose to die on has just been flattened.
    He chose, or wasn't powerful enough of a leader to override his design team when they made these decisions and dug their heels in. I guess it depends on who you believe - some say Team 2 is a group effort, and it's just Ion rubber-stamping their ideas, or he's the power mad tyrant who personally decides every bad thing in the game. Regardless, I do think Ion, as director, has mismanaged Team 2. He's the top boss, it's on him. I would bet he probably disagrees, that from his perspective he's done a fine job. (And that's where the issue really lies.)

What I'm curious about is his attitude, is he resentful having to make these changes? One can assume there are big changes happening internally at Blizzard...was there any meaningful change in the balance of power with Team 2? Has Ion/Team 2 had a change of heart, or is he just complying with the changes to keep his job, after being told to by Mike and Jen, and will return to his old ways when the dust is settled down the road?

9.2 and 10.0 will be the real key here - they have to make new content, and it'll be easy to see what "grand scheme" thinking is still in place.

Yes very nice but where are the druid travel form previews?

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I wanna say something snarky but hell seems like they are finally moving in a better direction. Let’s just hope they fix solo legacy raids. Also Timeworn Keystones is a great idea especially if they add all the older expansions as well id love to m+ some wotlk stuff and get my cheeks beat

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    He chose, or wasn't powerful enough of a leader to override his design team when they made these decisions and dug their heels in.ce.
    Then he would have been more apologetic sounding in his language when he made the posts and interviews defending these positions. He was extremely adamant, which means that this was his vision. In that case, the latter of the two options would be true.

And given that I'd say he was pissed and is laying low and hoping it passes, which is unlikely, so he'll most likely "decide to seek out new opportunities" in a few months due to having worked many years for one company.

Panicking a bit aren't we Blizzard?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TyloBedo View Post
    Same shit. Any ability that allows you to hit multiple targets whether if its aoe or cleave shouldn't be capped. That's just my opinion.