Page 10 of 224 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    A lot of what sets characters apart in WoT is their appearance and their presentation. All of these characters you'd swear were pulled out of an episode of Game of Thrones.
    Yeah see, we know exactly how they look because Jordan was extremely meticulous about it, it's kind of a whole thing

Hell, he was so detailed that I'd be miffed if they got Bela wrong (you know, the farmhorse? Egwene rides her initially, and when Rand is worried that she's falling behind, that's the first time he channels). Kind of needs to stand out beside Mandarb and Moiraine's horse

It's kind of a problem if the writers don't care enough to at least cast someone who actually fits what's written, or have them wear their prominently-described accessories

10+ Year Old Account
    With the bold assumption this show doesn't die on the vine, I wonder which of the Forsaken they'll keep and cut. Ishy and Lanfear are probably safe, and I imagine Graendal is in for sex appeal. Moghedien is a darling and I sympathised greatly with her war against Nynaeve, so I hope she's in. Demandred feels like a sure bet too, and everyone loves Asmodean.

It's that clump of bad guys who dominate books 5-9 I worry for.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2021-08-22 at 11:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please don;t be another sword of shannara tv show, please dear god...
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Please don;t be another sword of shannara tv show, please dear god...
    Pfft... I'm reading comments from the dragonmount forum...seems mixed.
    So...that's supposed to be Shadar Logoth...and the group pic is after that point. A scruffy Mat might make sense since he'll have that damned nasty dagger.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    With the bold assumption this show doesn't die on the vine, I wonder which of the Forsaken they'll keep and cut. Ishy and Lanfear are probably safe, and I imagine Graendal is in for sex appeal. Moghedien is a darling and I sympathised greatly with her war against Nynaeve, so I hope she's in. Demandred feels like a sure bet too, and everyone loves Asmodean.

It's that clump of bad guys who dominate books 5-9 I worry for.
    Considering Demandred is pretty much out of the picture aside from the odd scene with the other Forsaken, it wouldn't be hard to cut him until near the end anyway. Mesaana probably will be cut, she's not in any way a focal character at any point in the series. Balthamel and Aginor will obviously be at the the Eye of the World, however how much screen time they get as Osan'gar and Aran'gar later is to be seen I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Pfft... I'm reading comments from the dragonmount forum...seems mixed.
    So...that's supposed to be Shadar Logoth...and the group pic is after that point. A scruffy Mat might make sense since he'll have that damned nasty dagger.
    Thom should be with them at that point. And the party split pretty much as soon as Mat got the dagger. Seems more like a staged press shot.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post

Hmf...the only "cage" I recall being prominent is the one holding an aiel...(Gaul)
    The guy in the cage is Logain, apparently he is being given a 'bigger' role in the series than the books.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its here....!!! Hype!

I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    On one hand The effects for the one power looks kinda shite, on the other hand I can’t think of any show or movie that has ever done magic weaves well so can’t really hold that against them.

Looking forward to it.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Yeah not impressed by those visual effects. I get the whole weave thing, but it seems very clunky to just have that show up in the air. Wasn't it always described as something you can't actually SEE but more like feel through the power? Could have done that better, I think.

Trailer dialogue is whatever, very on the nose but that's to be expected. Characters seem okay so far, though.

But worried about the non-humans, too, barely visible but they look kind of goofy. Might be different in the actual series, trailer doesn't show it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really a very good trailer to be honest. I am sure it works well enough for people who are already fans of the books, but for everyone else it must seem like the most generic fantasy story ever.

I look forward to reading about how everything is wrong and how they ruined the series in a couple of months.

I'd probably watch it if it wasn't on Amazon, but Bezos isn't getting my money.

Visually, it is very reminiscent of Lord of the Rings. Someone with no knowledge of it could easily mistake it as being somehow related to LotR.

Looks like it is in part being GoTed. Rand and Egwene getting naked together? Nynaeve would have thumped them to within an inch of their lives if they'd even thought of doing that. The Two Rivers was really very conservative in that regards.

Not sure what the coloured water was about. Possibly Accepted training?

Mat and Perrin starting with beards is a bit of a minor quibble.

Not a sign of Loial yet, or Thom either, which is odd, given how prominent they should be in the first book.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    You could forgive anyone who watched that trailer and their biggest takeaway would be that it's a generic fantasy story about women saving the world, despite the fact that isn't their role in the series, even though they contribute to it.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    It looks as though they've gone well beyond book one.

It was a bit of fun, it looks like they're implying Logain is the dark one. It felt very generic to me and not really in keeping with the story. I don't like the fact they've aged everyone up, part of the charm of the story was the village kids going out, growing up and finding their way in the world.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Apparently, they cover book 1 with bits of 2/3.
    I don't even know how you can do that unless the season is going to be like two dozen episodes, unless they really are gutting a lot of parts out that really fill the story in. Not all events in the books run concurrently from what I remember, there are things that happen days or even weeks apart, so nothing can really be told in a linear fashion.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2021-09-03 at 09:19 PM.

I don't even know how you can do that unless the season is going to be like two dozen episodes, unless they really are gutting a lot of parts out that really fill the story in. Not all events in the books run concurrently from what I remember, there are things that happen days or even weeks apart, so nothing can really be told in a linear fashion.
    Well, they don't have to describe fucking Whitebridge every time a new group hits the city. That'll save some time.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Well, they don't have to describe fucking Whitebridge every time a new group hits the city. That'll save some time.
    Yeah, I do agree. Robert Jordan was really bad at filler, but it did help shape his world as well because it made it easier to picture what the settings are like. Thankfully all the skirt smoothing and braid pulling filler or people arguing will not impact the story at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Yeah not impressed by those visual effects. I get the whole weave thing, but it seems very clunky to just have that show up in the air. Wasn't it always described as something you can't actually SEE but more like feel through the power? Could have done that better, I think.
    I think it's both.

I'd have to go reread some parts but I want to say Channelers using Saidar could see the weaves they used, while Saidin were stuck feeling things out alone.... or maybe it was that they're blind to each other

Yeah, I do agree. Robert Jordan was really bad at filler, but it did help shape his world as well because it made it easier to picture what the settings are like. Thankfully all the skirt smoothing and braid pulling filler or people arguing will not impact the story at all.
    Yeah, the old saying about a picture being worth a 1000 words really applies here.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    I think it's both.

I'd have to go reread some parts but I want to say Channelers using Saidar could see the weaves they used, while Saidin were stuck feeling things out alone.... or maybe it was that they're blind to each other
    From what I remember, those who could use the power could see its weaves.

Those who used Saidar could see the weaves of other Saidar user, and those of Saidin could see the weaves of other Saidin users. There were parts of the book that described newer channelers who were particularly adept/smart learning new weaves just by watching others do them, or colleagues working side by side imitating the weaves of those next to them to accomplish the same goal.