Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I made millions when Bozja first came out. For an hour and a half of cluster farming in a group, you could farm enough clusters to buy the robot mount, which you could put up on the market board and sell for 3-4 million a piece. Prices fell over the course of the first 2 weeks. By the end of the 2nd week, when prices began dipping below 300k, that's when I stopped cluster farming.

I was hoping that with Zadnor, a new hairstyle or mount would be introduced that could be bought with easily farmed clusters and sold on the market board. Alas it did not come to pass. Better hope next time for Endwalker.
    Oh. I wish I could enjoy that content enough to farm it, but I just don't want to get into another separate, grind-heavy progression system like Eureka was.

I just picked this up since my brother started playing it and it’s not bad at all. Was a pain getting all my layout set up but once I got it set I was having fun. Only real problems so far was figuring out what to play as and when I finally did, I was getting teased for being a Hrothgar and being called “cat daddy”. >_<

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    I just picked this up since my brother started playing it and it’s not bad at all. Was a pain getting all my layout set up but once I got it set I was having fun. Only real problems so far was figuring out what to play as and when I finally did, I was getting teased for being a Hrothgar and being called “cat daddy”. >_<
    I changed race on my ninja so many times now. went lalafell, hrothgar, miqo'te, Roegadyn and now I landed back on Hrothgar. Never been called cat daddy yet though. I wouldnt mind :P.
    I love this game and I cant believe how much content there is... its absolutely insane, I have played for 3-4 hours every night for weeks and theres still SOOOO much left to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyw View Post
    I changed race on my ninja so many times now. went lalafell, hrothgar, miqo'te, Roegadyn and now I landed back on Hrothgar. Never been called cat daddy yet though. I wouldnt mind :P.
    I love this game and I cant believe how much content there is... its absolutely insane, I have played for 3-4 hours every night for weeks and theres still SOOOO much left to do.
    Oh it wasn’t a bad thing okay XD explain all the pats then. What I am a bit miffed about is having to level as some just to switch latter to be what I really want to play as.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive View Post
    WoW is killing itself. No one is doing that for them. They are, literally, killing off themselves. Yoshi P said he isn't trying to compete with WoW.

The mass exodus of players leaving wow is cause players want to play a game that is fun...........NOT with chores like WoW is.
    I agree that WoW is literally killing itself with all these bad writers and boring mechanics overhauls every single expansion.

However I do not agree that a producer of and MMO game does not want to steal the audience of another MMO that's not how gamedev (especially GaaS) works xD He says that because for some reason their PR department wants to make him look like Jesus in the eyes of western audience. That is all that is to it. I call it BTS marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    I struggle to stay at 100k gil, idk how the hell anyone has a million or more.
    What are you spending all your money on? And what are you doing with all the stuff that falls into your inventory? Are you vendoring EVERYTHING?

I'm consistently at ~2-4 million. Almost entirely from ventures, selling items on the MB (just basic stuff, nothing HUGE, just anything that sells for more on the MB than to the vendor), and quest rewards. Rarely, I'll do other content that drops some rare material or item that I'll sell (like maps) and make a tidy profit from, but I haven't done that since Stormblood and was at below 2 million at the start of Shadowbringers and am now back up to ~3.5 million. The main money maker? Materia. I get so much of it from roulettes and the random drops in dungeons that I'll never use, or at least not nearly enough to warrant hoarding them, that I sell a LOT of them. The ones that don't sell well on the MB still vendor for ~1k or more each. Multiply that by a few dozen and you've got 100k+ gil.

The most I've ever had was 8 million back in HW when I purposely went and looked for things to make money from, mainly crafting. But it was a LOT of work, consistently, and incredibly frustrating. Not even close to worth it for me. I can't say it enough, but fuck undercutting morons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Oh it wasn’t a bad thing okay XD explain all the pats then. What I am a bit miffed about is having to level as some just to switch latter to be what I really want to play as.
    Yeah, they got better about this.

The core jobs, for which there are guilds in the major cities for, only require you to get to level 10 and finish your level 10 job quest on the job you chose to start. That's like 2-3 hours of work, maybe, which isn't bad.

The ones that were terrible were Machinist, Dark Knight and Astrologian where you had to be at least level 50 and have completed the storyline up until you get to Ishgard to unlock them and they started at level 30.

At least with the newer ones you only have ~10 levels to catch up on, but still, that's quite a bit of time to get caught up. Even with a single minded grind session, it could take 6 - 10 hours to do that.

Still beats having to level a completely different character though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethas View Post
    I agree that WoW is literally killing itself with all these bad writers and boring mechanics overhauls every single expansion.

However I do not agree that a producer of and MMO game does not want to steal the audience of another MMO that's not how gamedev (especially GaaS) works xD He says that because for some reason their PR department wants to make him look like Jesus in the eyes of western audience. That is all that is to it. I call it BTS marketing.
    No, he says it because it's not his intention. He's truly not trying to compete with WoW, like competitors in a race or something. It's inevitable given the landscape that MMOs will "compete" with other MMOs, but his focus is just on the game itself and trying to make and deliver a game people want to play rather than intentionally making a game and making design decisions that will compete with WoW.

He never said he doesn't want to steal players from WoW, he just said that he isn't trying to compete with them.

You don't beat competitors in a goods/services market by focusing on the competition itself, you do it by creating and selling a product people want to have and use over the other folks in the market. Or in the case of sports, by focusing on yourself, training and making yourself better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    The highest level materia only vendor for 167 gil and most don't sell for much more on the marketboard. It doesn't add up THAT fast!
    Then what am I thinking of? I promise I'm vendoring some materia for significantly more than 167 gil. Is it demimateria or something else? I'll need to go home and look this up because I swear battle materia I'm vendoring is going for more than that. And the only reason I'm vendoring it is because the MB prices are so close to the vendor price to not make it worth it and the MB prices I'm seeing are higher than just a couple hundred gil.

If you're desynthing drops, you could be getting Clear Demimateria III that vendor for 5,000. Those are pretty nice to get. They won't just be dropping on their own, though.
    I get some demimateria from somewhere, but I don't desynth anything.

I swear it's just regular materia. I think the vendor prices listed on the web pages are off, but I'll go home and check later when I'm off work. Going to drive me nuts otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    What are you spending all your money on? And what are you doing with all the stuff that falls into your inventory? Are you vendoring EVERYTHING?

I'm consistently at ~2-4 million. Almost entirely from ventures, selling items on the MB (just basic stuff, nothing HUGE, just anything that sells for more on the MB than to the vendor), and quest rewards. Rarely, I'll do other content that drops some rare material or item that I'll sell (like maps) and make a tidy profit from, but I haven't done that since Stormblood and was at below 2 million at the start of Shadowbringers and am now back up to ~3.5 million. The main money maker? Materia. I get so much of it from roulettes and the random drops in dungeons that I'll never use, or at least not nearly enough to warrant hoarding them, that I sell a LOT of them. The ones that don't sell well on the MB still vendor for ~1k or more each. Multiply that by a few dozen and you've got 100k+ gil.

The most I've ever had was 8 million back in HW when I purposely went and looked for things to make money from, mainly crafting. But it was a LOT of work, consistently, and incredibly frustrating. Not even close to worth it for me. I can't say it enough, but fuck undercutting morons.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, they got better about this.

The core jobs, for which there are guilds in the major cities for, only require you to get to level 10 and finish your level 10 job quest on the job you chose to start. That's like 2-3 hours of work, maybe, which isn't bad.

The ones that were terrible were Machinist, Dark Knight and Astrologian where you had to be at least level 50 and have completed the storyline up until you get to Ishgard to unlock them and they started at level 30.

At least with the newer ones you only have ~10 levels to catch up on, but still, that's quite a bit of time to get caught up. Even with a single minded grind session, it could take 6 - 10 hours to do that.

Still beats having to level a completely different character though.
    Ya I wanted to be dark knight so I have to grind just to replace it latter maybe..

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro123 View Post
    Well, the thread is called "A decent MMO plagued by some serious problems that make it unplayable in the long run", which makes me believe that:
    - There is something wrong with the endgame content?
    - Once you are done with the MSQ, there is nothing interesting to keep doing?
    - If you have level 80 on all class/jobs you are more than done?
    - PvP is bad? (I havent tried myself yet...)
    - No more activities to do?

that kind of "problems" i mean....
    PvP is bad. I do it for the daily xp, but honestly just consider it side content.

Anyone claiming there is little to do after MSQ is those that just want to beat the hardest content once and call it done. Getting certain weapon and armor looks takes a good amount of time with relic quests and such. There is the grand company to rank up on. Crafting is a game on its own inside ffxiv and not just something done simultaneously like most MMOs. There's also mounts and housing that have their challenges and grinds to work on.

The game has a lot for players to do.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Well, the thread is called "A decent MMO plagued by some serious problems that make it unplayable in the long run", which makes me believe that:

Once you reach level 80 and finish the MSQ, and do the raid and trial storylines, you've consumed almost all of the meaningful content in the game. The only things left to do are:

• Grind other jobs up so you can see their storylines. Unfortunately the vast majority of job storylines are meh. There are a few "good" storylines, such as the Samurai 50-60, the Gunbreaker 60-70, and Dark Knight 60-70, but I'm not sure if it's worth the time and effort it takes the level grind those jobs up just to see those storylines. If you intend to play those jobs at higher level content, then sure.
    • Do repeatable activities such as the Gold Saucer minigames, PvP, decorating your house, or glamour hunting until you get bored.
    • Grind for relic weapons that will be outdated due to gear treadmill when the next patch hits. Do you want that glowing weapon? Do you want to spend 300 hours grinding for it? No? Then don't do the grind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethas View Post
    I am sorry but that is just anecdotal experience and we have seen this for years on these same forums with every single wow killer which eventually died out.
    Lots of big differences from previous "WoW killers".

1. It's an established game with almost a hundred hours of story content alone. Along with 4 "expansions" worth of transmog, mounts, pet, orchestrion, and much much more to farm and enjoy.

2. Past "wow killers" like LOTRO, SWG, GW2, etc. all released with zero or limited end game content. People would play to the end then go "So... what do I do now?" and then the devs would take 10 months getting any real raiding or grinding content out, at which point players would have already gone back to WoW. Those games had no problem roping players in. The reason they never took off was they could not retain players with zero content to do at end game.

3. FFXIV isn't killing WoW. Blizzard killed WoW. FFXIV just happened to be a convenient and fun game with thousands of hours of potential content ready and waiting to scratch the MMO gamer's itch.

- - - Updated - - -

There's lots of raids to do. Many WoW raiders are going back and doing old raids sync'd with minimum item level to do that content. There's also ultimates, which will always be hard.

Then there is relic grinding, which is a beast for any expansion.

Let's not forget collecting mounts and pets.

You can sink hundreds of hours into gold saucer if you find it enjoyable.

Leveling all of the classes to 80.

Doing side quest stories like Manderville and Scholasticate.

Leveling crafting and gathering.

Joining an FC and playing with everyone in it.

Anyone who says there's nothing to do at end game is the kind of person who will walk up to a refrigerator, look at shelves stacked with food, and say "There's nothing to eat".
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

First, I'll just say that there's nothing wrong with a game where you've done everything you want to do where you can take a break until the next big patch or expansion comes. Especially when you enjoyed your time.

Second, there's a LOT to do in FFXIV. Whether you want to do it or find that content enjoyable is a different story.

1) Level other jobs - They all have class stories. Most are decent. A couple are fantastic and some are nothing special. But they ARE story and if you enjoy story, they're fun to see, especially if you enjoy the game play of that class.
    2) Side quests - There's a LOT of them. Beast Tribes have a decent story to go along with them, but take a while to rank up to see it all. Some of them unlock old dungeons, some unlock side content, etc...
    3) Crafting/Gathering - Kind of self explanatory, but there's a lot to do here and it can keep you occupied for a while.
    4) Old raids - Just like in any MMO, you can go and see the old end-game content for the story, for the experience, for the gear.
    5) Gold Saucer - Lots of time wasting to do here if you just want something to do. Can earn currency to buy cosmetic rewards by playing arcade games, doing little events, chocobo racing, playing Triple Triad or Lord of Verminion.
    6) PvP - I won't comment on if it's good or bad because I've done it so little and I'm not a PvP person. I know it's not great, but I know several people who enjoy it. Can earn gear rewards that many times look really cool.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're desynthing drops, you could be getting Clear Demimateria III that vendor for 5,000. Those are pretty nice to get. They won't just be dropping on their own, though.
    Went home, checked prices....I'm going crazy. I have no idea why I thought I was selling materia to vendors. I sell lots of other materials to them, because people are stupid and undercut the market so bad and sell it for less than or equal to what a vendor will take it for. But I apparently sell all my materia on the MB, so long as it's priced above what a vendor will take it for, because I distinctly remember selling a LOT of materia for ~1-2k and the only way that would have happened would be if it was on the MB.

Either way, main point still stands. Check the MB price for EVERYTHING before you vendor it, because all that stuff with a vendor vs MB difference of 50+ gil adds up over time. And sometimes you'll have stuff that sells on the MB for thousands whereas the vendor is significantly less than that.

Also, make sure you're extracting materia from your spiritbound gear, even the low level stuff because even those materia can start to add up.

Since they all blur into each other, im not sure if this is the 'official' complaint thread. But here's a complaint (and something wow does better)... Ive hit level cap, (Grats!), but quests still give me experience as a reward... This wouldnt stand in wow. Im not sure how annoyed i should be by this, but i am kinda annoyed that its not all transfered to gil... i mean, i spent 3 hours last night looking for a clubbing transmog (and realised it was about 6 times the price of my best in slot (on the market board) lvl 80 outfits).

I seriously need gil. I dont need 1.3million xp for finishing a quest when there are no more levels to grind. I NEED gil!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post
    Since they all blur into each other, im not sure if this is the 'official' complaint thread. But here's a complaint (and something wow does better)... Ive hit level cap, (Grats!), but quests still give me experience as a reward... This wouldnt stand in wow. Im not sure how annoyed i should be by this, but i am kinda annoyed that its not all transfered to gil... i mean, i spent 3 hours last night looking for a clubbing transmog (and realised it was about 6 times the price of my best in slot (on the market board) lvl 80 outfits).

I seriously need gil. I dont need 1.3million xp for finishing a quest when there are no more levels to grind. I NEED gil!!!
    Yeah I'd really like more ways to make larger amounts of gil from stuff I'm already doing, like roulettes, dungeons and raids.

Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post

You can get 18 million exp for a triple crafting leve, exp is always easy to get. There are a ton of ways to get gil, so you're going to have to start doing those. You can get 1-2 mil a week just casually playing the game.

The only "serious problem" for me is the lack of Highlander eyebrows. I get the lore and all that, but shaving them should be an option. It's not like they have a "no eyebrows" gene or something.

Ive noticed something about my typing... when i say "im annoyed" or im angry that", im not really either one of those things. At most im slightly less than completely non-plussed. Nothing really irritates me about the game. I only mention it because im prone to dramatics and dont want anyone to think im actually serious (: eta:definitely 1000% this in the spoiler thread (sorry val...). Its stream of conscious mischief.

Apropos of nothing, i am VERY angry that the twins in yx'whatsitsface made me do all their chores. Apoplectic in fact! (Hang on, let me check i spelled apoplectic right?).
    I did. Im less angry but only by a percentile! If they learned anything, its that they have a career in middle management.

Squeeeee!!!! Princess Peach ((im not naming names) is a sorceress! All my birthdays have come at once! Thanks trust system!
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-09-02 at 11:05 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggestNoob View Post
    You can get 18 million exp for a triple crafting leve, exp is always easy to get. There are a ton of ways to get gil, so you're going to have to start doing those. You can get 1-2 mil a week just casually playing the game.
    And what are those casual ways?

Collectables, how annoying you are, some can be turned in while others are just taking up room.
    Currently doing the level 60 botany job quest, waiting for another unspoiled node. Watching, and waiting, on edge of my seat anticipating.

This is a shit take. The game absolutely isn't for you if you don't care about a story. Go play fortnite