Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Well, if last night was any indication, the influx isn't slowing down yet. One run of Sastasha I was the only one who wasn't new, so that was an experience. Cleared the whole place because the tank went everywhere except killing clams, so I learned that when you don't kill clams those little shade seekers keep spawning. Tank got excited at the colored coral, "Ooh, dungeon puzzle?" It was also the first and only time I've seen anyone kite the last boss over to the bubbling areas, either I'm imagining things or those do a decent chunk of damage. I'm used to Sastasha taking about 15 minutes, my food buff had run out before we finished.

Second run of Sastasha, 2 of the group were new and I felt so bad for the tank because the healer was a returning player who kept pulling all the things and the tank had never been there and didn't know what to do. He died at one point because he was overwhelmed and asked what he did wrong. I was >this close< to saying the healer's being a jerk and over pulling, but the healer copped to it. What a mess that was. Tank died, thaumaturge died, I'm doing my best as a lancer to stay alive fighting 4-5 mobs while the healer is casting raise on the tank.

I was extremely hesitant to run Copperbell after that because I did not want to be in an all newbie group on that slime boss and, despite running it as many times as I have, I still don't know where all the firesand is (or photocells in Toto-Rak, I should probably start paying attention).

One little pet peeve though, is when new tanks stand around because they don't know where to go. 1) It's a fairly straightforward dungeon. 2) There's a map. 3) Anyone else running ahead to show them where to go is going to pull aggro and they're going to be less willing to do so with a fresh tank. 4) They could've checked a guide in the time it took to start the dungeon. :P
    Haven’t noticed. I’m new myself and of the 5 dungeons I’ve run and the group just speed cleared. I didn’t even have time to really check out the surroundings and had me worried about watching the cinematics for fear of slowing the group down.
    Luckily, when I was in Copperbell the people knew how to do it and told me what to attack and what not to, which lets us clear it pretty quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if last night was any indication, the influx isn't slowing down yet. One run of Sastasha I was the only one who wasn't new, so that was an experience. Cleared the whole place because the tank went everywhere except killing clams, so I learned that when you don't kill clams those little shade seekers keep spawning. Tank got excited at the colored coral, "Ooh, dungeon puzzle?" It was also the first and only time I've seen anyone kite the last boss over to the bubbling areas, either I'm imagining things or those do a decent chunk of damage. I'm used to Sastasha taking about 15 minutes, my food buff had run out before we finished.

Second run of Sastasha, 2 of the group were new and I felt so bad for the tank because the healer was a returning player who kept pulling all the things and the tank had never been there and didn't know what to do. He died at one point because he was overwhelmed and asked what he did wrong. I was >this close< to saying the healer's being a jerk and over pulling, but the healer copped to it. What a mess that was. Tank died, thaumaturge died, I'm doing my best as a lancer to stay alive fighting 4-5 mobs while the healer is casting raise on the tank.

I was extremely hesitant to run Copperbell after that because I did not want to be in an all newbie group on that slime boss and, despite running it as many times as I have, I still don't know where all the firesand is (or photocells in Toto-Rak, I should probably start paying attention).

One little pet peeve though, is when new tanks stand around because they don't know where to go. 1) It's a fairly straightforward dungeon. 2) There's a map. 3) Anyone else running ahead to show them where to go is going to pull aggro and they're going to be less willing to do so with a fresh tank. 4) They could've checked a guide in the time it took to start the dungeon. :P
    Parts of the map are hidden the first time you go in there. Also a lot of the earlier dungeons are not straightforward. They become pretty linear later on but dungeons like Toto-rak have several split paths. Also expecting people to look up a guide for a MSQ dungeon

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Parts of the map are hidden the first time you go in there. Also a lot of the earlier dungeons are not straightforward. They become pretty linear later on but dungeons like Toto-rak have several split paths. Also expecting people to look up a guide for a MSQ dungeon
    Toto-Rak is a nightmare of its own, but every time I've opened the map for Sastasha it's looked straightforward to me and, apart from side rooms, there aren't any places to get lost. Also, yes, if you're literally going to stand at the entrance of the dungeon for 5 minutes (not watching a cutscene) because you don't know where to go or what to do, look it up instead of wasting people's time. I assume anyone going into a group activity blind likes the adventure, not that they're going to not even pull the first two mobs until someone instructs them. Go in as a job other than tank if you're going to do that.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

10+ Year Old Account
    Toto-Rak is a nightmare of its own, but every time I've opened the map for Sastasha it's looked straightforward to me and, apart from side rooms, there aren't any places to get lost. Also, yes, if you're literally going to stand at the entrance of the dungeon for 5 minutes (not watching a cutscene) because you don't know where to go or what to do, look it up instead of wasting people's time. I assume anyone going into a group activity blind likes the adventure, not that they're going to not even pull the first two mobs until someone instructs them. Go in as a job other than tank if you're going to do that.
    Bro you're literally doing one of the first dungeons in the game. Let people get more comfortable with their job. If you really want to avoid these situations then queue with a premade group. It's fine to vent about these situations from time to time, but ultimately you gotta let people learn. If you're going to advocate for only experienced players to play tank, then be prepared to sit in queue forever as a healer or dps.

Running around in circles at the entrance saying you've never been there before isn't accomplishing anything other than aggravating the 3 people who had the misfortune of being grouped with you. I would say I doubt anyone would've had a problem going slow and steady, but clearly the healer did because she did the pulling for the whole dungeon.

Maybe it's because it's Labor Day weekend here in the US, but most of the groups this weekend have been rocky. Doing Tam-Tara, I watched as the non-sprout WHM (why is it always a WHM?) just didn't heal the tank. Walked past him tanking 4 mobs and clicked on the orb while he died. This is the stuff that makes me not want to tank roulettes. People are like "trust your healer", not when I see crap like that (it wasn't the first time).

I ended up getting 3 commendations in one run though, which was a first. I was also grouped with a NIN who had female Miqo'te voice #5, which if you've never heard it in combat is hilarious. She said she loved it and I can see why, she sounded like she was having the time of her life.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

This attitude isn't going to fly in FFXIV maybe WoW is a better fit for you. It's the first dungeon and lots of people going into it are likely new (even more so cause of the surge of new players).

If you want perfect/fast runs then go make a pre-made group or play a different game.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro123 View Post
    Anyone know a web page that is able to show me all the armor styles that you can get from Dungeons?
    Use this site. Click on the Japanese flag at the top right of the screen to change the language to English.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    This attitude isn't going to fly in FFXIV maybe WoW is a better fit for you. It's the first dungeon and lots of people going into it are likely new (even more so cause of the surge of new players).

If you want perfect/fast runs then go make a pre-made group or play a different game.
    Expecting people to do something rather than just stand there doing nothing is not a WoW mentality and shouldn't be treated as such. No one asked for a perfect run here, just...DO something and don't just stand there expecting everyone to hand hold you without asking a question.

If you don't know where to go or what to do, say so, and the group will help you....usually, but especially in Sastasha/ the first few dungeons. But don't ever just stand there doing nothing, without saying anything, after accepting the dungeon queue. That's just disrespectful of other people's time.

For real guys, the buff "The Road to 70" is really OP. It's 100% more xp....FROM EVERYTHING!.

That include MSQ, Quests, Fates, Enemies, Dungeons....etc. If you are bored, give it a try to a new race you may be interested in playing + another server that you may want to try (in case yours are crowded), and play it!. Its awesome. Only 1hr and I'm already level 20 on my character and i havent done level 10 MSQ. XD.

To get that buff, just make a new character on a "marked" server and start to play!
    True facts, I got every single job to 70 before it expired, and up to about level 40 you can take 3 jobs (4 if SCH/SMN) along the MSQ with very little additional grinding.

Only 1hr and I'm already level 20 on my character and i havent done level 10 MSQ. XD.
    Yeah, I got 'called out' (nicely) about not having my DRG job stone equipped and I had to explain that I couldn't even get the job quest before Sylph Management. They didn't know job quests are blocked by the MSQ. (This was in Copperbell Mines, so I'm not sure how much difference it would've made. I only have 2 non-cooldown abilities I can use in there.)

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    <snip>
    Thank you.

Yeah, I got 'called out' (nicely) about not having my DRG job stone equipped and I had to explain that I couldn't even get the job quest before Sylph Management. They didn't know job quests are blocked by the MSQ. (This was in Copperbell Mines, so I'm not sure how much difference it would've made. I only have 2 non-cooldown abilities I can use in there.)
    That's ridiculous. Copperbell is a level ~16 dungeon, so a job stone is worthless there anyway. The first dungeon you encounter along the MSQ where you're actually level appropriate to even make use of any of the skills the job stone would give you is Brayflox's Longstop, at level ~31.

That said, it is pretty bonkers that you can so severely over level the MSQ that you can be well above level 30 yet not have completed Sylph Management, which is the pre-req for doing the level 30 advanced job quests.

Thank you.
    No problem =)

That said, it is pretty bonkers that you can so severely over level the MSQ that you can be well above level 30 yet not have completed Sylph Management, which is the pre-req for doing the level 30 advanced job quests.
    Road to 70 is no joke, that's without the EW pre-order earring with another +30% EXP too. The worst part was no chocobo, by the time I finally got mine I was able to immediately make it a combat companion.

I am finally a DRG again though, feels good. Now I just need to get back to Ishgard. It's kind of nice doing the DRG quests again, I didn't pay attention to the NPCs the first time and had no idea in HW that I'd met most of them already. One of these days I need to find out how NG+ works. I don't want to go through the whole MSQ, just parts of it if that's possible.

Road to 70 is no joke, that's without the EW pre-order earring with another +30% EXP too. The worst part was no chocobo, by the time I finally got mine I was able to immediately make it a combat companion.

I am finally a DRG again though, feels good. Now I just need to get back to Ishgard. It's kind of nice doing the DRG quests again, I didn't pay attention to the NPCs the first time and had no idea in HW that I'd met most of them already. One of these days I need to find out how NG+ works. I don't want to go through the whole MSQ, just parts of it if that's possible.
    Definitely true, i had to level both rogue and conjurer just to spread the xp out and stay roughly comparative with the msq level. I think i even dipped my toes into a few other classes here and there (archer, pugilist and marauder). I was still about 10-15 levels above the msq until... um, shadowbringers? Even there i dinged 80 in the lahee place around level 73/4 in the story (im gonna mangle its name: 'Rikitaki forest'?).

Guys, What should i do with "Unique" items from Dungeons?. Destroy them for materials or deliver them for seals?. I dont know if there is anything else i can do with them....
    generally yeah, break into mats, sell to GC for seals (stack up dem glam stones, ventures, etc) or if you've finished SB, you can donate them to the Doman Enclave.

The Doman enclave has unlocked lore tiers, the vendor rate steadily increases from 100% to 200% but there is also a weekly limit on how much gil you can get, which also increases with each tier until 40k gil per week.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post
    Definitely true, i had to level both rogue and conjurer just to spread the xp out and stay roughly comparative with the msq level. I think i even dipped my toes into a few other classes here and there (archer, pugilist and marauder). I was still about 10-15 levels above the msq until... um, shadowbringers? Even there i dinged 80 in the lahee place around level 73/4 in the story (im gonna mangle its name: 'Rikitaki forest'?).
    I switch between different classes as one gets too over leveled by MSQ and roulettes. When i initially joined the game I hadnt quite figured this out and by the time my char reached post-HW I had a lvl 72 SCH because I was doing all the roulettes daily like i was still playing WoW back when I left in legion.

I am definately managing my xp earnings more carefully now.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't knew about the "Doman enclave" donations. I will take a look at that....
    You won't be able to get to it based on your previous post saying you just got to the level 36 MSQ. The Doman Enclave is revealed/ accessible after you've completed the Stormblood MSQ, which if you're still not finished with the ARR MSQ, you've got a pretty long way to go.

If I end up in a low lvl dungeon like that and the tank is slow, I don't even wait. I go for the mobs and let the tank get aggro from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    If I end up in a low lvl dungeon like that and the tank is slow, I don't even wait. I go for the mobs and let the tank get aggro from me.
    I'll do the same if they're being egregiously slow. The difference in armor levels between most classes is really small, coupled with the strength of heals at that level make it easy enough to just roflstomp your way through without much regard to who's taking the hits.

This assumes your healer is able to keep up and is willing to heal anyone and everyone. I've been in some dungeons where the healer was the problem, which is more aggravating than when it's the tank because it has a much more profound impact on the groups ability to function and stay alive than the tank at low levels.

All this assumes the players have said absolutely nothing in regards to their skill or comfort level and are just going slow/ doing badly. If they make it known up front (or at literally any point in the dungeon) that they're new, don't know what they're doing, etc... I'll be MUCH more accepting of this behavior and help encourage them because there are very few things in an MMO that are worse than enjoying yourself in your first few hours and the sense of adventure in a new MMO experience and then being completely shit on and bombarded with negativity in a group.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    From a tanking perspective, outside of a few low level dungeons and typically dungeons that aren't part of the MSQ... I'm not sure how anybody could physically get lost in these dungeons.

Trash in dungeons (aside from a couple of them) barely does any damage unless you physically stand in the bad zones, which on trash mobs in dungeons give you an enormous amount of time to get out of. There were only two instances where anybody ever asked me to pull bigger while leveling, and it was basically at the end of Shadowbringers. The only reason why I was hesitant to pull bigger was because half of the dungeons in the game basically gate you from pulling bigger anyways. From my experience it's pretty normal that the most you can normally pull is like two packs, and then get halted by the game waiting for you to kill that second pack before opening the next area. One of those dungeons made no sense to tell me to pull bigger because it was exactly as I described, while the other was one of the few where I could pull basically four packs.

I've had people pull mobs ahead of me before which is absolutely fine. Threat is basically non-existent in the game and unless you're tanking an entire pack as a DPS/Healer for several seconds, there's absolutely no way you can die. There's basically no AoE damage from trash unless you stand in stuff, or are physically getting hit by the pack. From a trash perspective the healer would need to fall asleep to ever let the tank die, or you would need to pull several packs all at once as a tank just not use defensive CDs (which is arguably more dangerous in lower level dungeons).

I'm super mixed on dungeons in FF14 and overall just view them as a neutral experience. Doing them once is actually pretty fun (especially the later ones), but it's not exactly content that's great to repeat IMO. FF14 does do bosses pretty well though, and the includes a good portion of the dungeon bosses as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    From a tanking perspective, outside of a few low level dungeons and typically dungeons that aren't part of the MSQ... I'm not sure how anybody could physically get lost in these dungeons.

Trash in dungeons (aside from a couple of them) barely does any damage unless you physically stand in the bad zones, which on trash mobs in dungeons give you an enormous amount of time to get out of. There were only two instances where anybody ever asked me to pull bigger while leveling, and it was basically at the end of Shadowbringers. The only reason why I was hesitant to pull bigger was because half of the dungeons in the game basically gate you from pulling bigger anyways. From my experience it's pretty normal that the most you can normally pull is like two packs, and then get halted by the game waiting for you to kill that second pack before opening the next area. One of those dungeons made no sense to tell me to pull bigger because it was exactly as I described, while the other was one of the few where I could pull basically four packs.

I've had people pull mobs ahead of me before which is absolutely fine. Threat is basically non-existent in the game and unless you're tanking an entire pack as a DPS/Healer for several seconds, there's absolutely no way you can die. There's basically no AoE damage from trash unless you stand in stuff, or are physically getting hit by the pack. From a trash perspective the healer would need to fall asleep to ever let the tank die, or you would need to pull several packs all at once as a tank just not use defensive CDs (which is arguably more dangerous in lower level dungeons).

I'm super mixed on dungeons in FF14 and overall just view them as a neutral experience. Doing them once is actually pretty fun (especially the later ones), but it's not exactly content that's great to repeat IMO. FF14 does do bosses pretty well though, and the includes a good portion of the dungeon bosses as well.
    Your perspective was interesting as it was not the same as mine as a healer at all. With a few exceptions, the tanks I've had seem to wear paper armor and do not know what defensive cooldowns are. Granted, I'm only level 54 and you may be talking about dungeons above level 50.

I'll do the same if they're being egregiously slow. The difference in armor levels between most classes is really small, coupled with the strength of heals at that level make it easy enough to just roflstomp your way through without much regard to who's taking the hits.

This assumes your healer is able to keep up and is willing to heal anyone and everyone. I've been in some dungeons where the healer was the problem, which is more aggravating than when it's the tank because it has a much more profound impact on the groups ability to function and stay alive than the tank at low levels.

All this assumes the players have said absolutely nothing in regards to their skill or comfort level and are just going slow/ doing badly. If they make it known up front (or at literally any point in the dungeon) that they're new, don't know what they're doing, etc... I'll be MUCH more accepting of this behavior and help encourage them because there are very few things in an MMO that are worse than enjoying yourself in your first few hours and the sense of adventure in a new MMO experience and then being completely shit on and bombarded with negativity in a group.
    The role of the tank at that level is to hold aggro. It's very easy to heal 1 target even though they have basically no mits at that level, but it's very hard to heal 2 targets taking high damage. So when a tank pulls but doesn't slap that AoE button, healers get aggro and now they have to heal 2 people.

I wish more people understood how low level dungeons work. Healers can heal for 50-80% of the tank's HP with each heal, which means you can pull a whole lot. The optimal strategy is to have at least 1 DPS with good AoE (arc/brd, mch, and a few other classes get it really early) along with the tank spamming AoE, pull as much as you can, and the healer does nothing but heal, because they don't have meaningful AoE. I see tanks who get it, but healers who don't heal and are too worried about doing damage probably because they watched a video. I see tanks who pull 1 pack at a time which is annoying, especially in something like DD where you get a free 90% mit in the first half of the dungeon, just pull everything into the purple shit and it's the easiest wall pull of all time. You're also not limited by DPS as much at these levels because the tank can do enough AoE to kill everything pretty quickly on their own.

The only issue is that scholar has major potency issues at low level, but ast/whm can easily handle giant pulls. I've done SV many times where the tank pulls literally everything to the next boss, and that's probably the hardest ARR dungeon to heal.
    Last edited by BiggestNoob; 2021-09-10 at 10:38 PM.