Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    It's funny how good features that are fun get copyrighted, while loot boxes were added in every fucking game ever conceived with nobody daring to copyright that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    It's funny how good features that are fun get copyrighted, while loot boxes were added in every fucking game ever conceived with nobody daring to copyright that.
    Well, they surely try! We had this famous case from 2017 of Activision patenting matchmaking based on possessed shop items: “For example, if the player purchased a particular weapon, the microtransaction engine may match the player in a gameplay session in which the particular weapon is highly effective”.

They seemed to do nothing with it....yet!
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Well, they surely try! We had this famous case from 2017 of Activision patenting matchmaking based on possessed shop items: “For example, if the player purchased a particular weapon, the microtransaction engine may match the player in a gameplay session in which the particular weapon is highly effective”.

They seemed to do nothing with it....yet!
    Either this patent didn't go through then or it is easily loopholed, most big budget mobile games (or even smaller ones, not hard to implement) use this filthy trick.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Either this patent didn't go through then or it is easily loopholed, most big budget mobile games (or even smaller ones, not hard to implement) use this filthy trick.
    Oh it went through in 2017, it got number US20160005270A1. Was pretty big news back then. And Acti patented it to be the one and only that's using it, they just didn't (at least official) started doing it. And I don't know if others are already been utilizing the trick, kinda hard to prove that matchmaking is being fixed around MT gear.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2021-09-06 at 09:56 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Oh it went through in 2017, it got number US20160005270A1. Was pretty big news back then. And Acti patented it to be the one and only that's using it, they just didn't (at least official) started doing it. And I don't know if others are already been utilizing the trick, kinda hard to prove that matchmaking is being fixed around MT gear.
    Well, a lot of mobile games can be easily-ish decompiled, especially when they are build on commercial engines like Unity. It's not hard to get to the bowels of some of the more crappy-working matchmaking systems (that are partially programmed in the frontend of the application) and find that such ideas are being used. And yeah, it literally costs the dev nothing to implement a thingy that makes your hidden matchmaking rating a bit more "lenient", for instance, after you make a store purchase. You know, psychological stuff, player subconsciously starts associating making in-app purchases with victories.

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Well, a lot of mobile games can be easily-ish decompiled, especially when they are build on commercial engines like Unity. It's not hard to get to the bowels of some of the more crappy-working matchmaking systems (that are partially programmed in the frontend of the application) and find that such ideas are being used. And yeah, it literally costs the dev nothing to implement a thingy that makes your hidden matchmaking rating a bit more "lenient", for instance, after you make a store purchase. You know, psychological stuff, player subconsciously starts associating making in-app purchases with victories.
    I think stuff like that will almost always be handled server-side, so that makes the decompile process kinda moot. You already enter search and confiscation warrant territory there.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.