Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    their handling of the PS5 has been nothing short of a shit show in terms of availability of the console. Add to that a global pandemic when people actually have time to play the games they are selling.
    Just like it was last generation. And just like it was (and sometimes still is) for Switch through its first few years of launch. Just like it is for Xbox One (though to a lesser extent since there's less demand).

Sony can't just magically spin up enough production to meet demands. You're basically mad that they're not doing the manufacturing equivalent of opening dozens of servers at an MMO's launch to handle the initial rush, only to see most of that money wasted as players stop playing often or quit the game and they're left with empty servers.

They don't "owe" people increased production milestones just because there's a pandemic, and if anything that further complicates supply chains.

But yeah, whatever, they aren't satisfying every unrealistic demand so they're clearly the assholes.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Just like it was last generation. And just like it was (and sometimes still is) for Switch through its first few years of launch. Just like it is for Xbox One (though to a lesser extent since there's less demand).

Sony can't just magically spin up enough production to meet demands. You're basically mad that they're not doing the manufacturing equivalent of opening dozens of servers at an MMO's launch to handle the initial rush, only to see most of that money wasted as players stop playing often or quit the game and they're left with empty servers.

They don't "owe" people increased production milestones just because there's a pandemic, and if anything that further complicates supply chains.

But yeah, whatever, they aren't satisfying every unrealistic demand so they're clearly the assholes.
    Lol what the hell.

We were talking about upgrading ps4 GAMES to ps5 because of production supply issues. Not that they should give them away

You know that thing called being aware of a problem and acknowledging it with good service

And they absolutely could have done more to combat bots from buying out stock so please save me the pity party
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ask and ye shall receive. Horizon is getting a free PS5 upgrade for PS4 owners: https://www.ign.com/articles/horizon...s4-ps5-upgrade

15+ Year Old Account
    https://blog.playstation.com/2021/09...ions-detailed/

Lol. I still haven't even beaten 1 so i don't have much interest but at least they did the right thing

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    It's from the dev that brought us the shittiest playing FF game in the series, XV. I expect absolutely nothing from that.
    Hey, XV was good, just teeny bopper-ish. But I was a teen when I played the "good FFs" so it's all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Hey, XV was good, just teeny bopper-ish. But I was a teen when I played the "good FFs" so it's all the same.
    No joke XV easily stands along side my favorites in the series. Yeah the plot has some holes and underdeveloped characters but the main characters are great with a story that has a solid beginning, middle, and end.

Combat is too easy thanks to the broken item system but I enjoyed it enough that I would love to see a more refined version of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only think I hated about XV was the last two chapters or so that were completely on rails with weird pacing. Made it obvious that DLC was intended. Then the DLC rollout got messy. I heard the complete edition is good but never bothered with it.

I'm surprised no one had really been talking about the 'new' PS5. Runs the same but supposed to be easier to manufacture. Most of have seen were misleading claims about it being worse because it gets like 2 degrees hotter.

- - - Updated - - -

Horizon upgrade will be free. Future first party upgrades will cost $10.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Geez Sony is really determined to get that extra $10.

https://www.alanwake.info/2021/09/remaster.html

Hard to find good creepy gothic Americana in games.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Right?! Imagine a for-profit organisation trying to get people to give them money. Sickening!
    smart delivery says hi

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    smart delivery says hi
    Smart delivery does jack shit when 1) 3rd parties can and are opting out of it and 2) all of the first party games are on gamepass to begin with so pointless for them to even try to charge $10 extra for next gen games. Any 3rd party game that supports smart delivery on Xbox is also a free upgrade on PS. You literally fell for a buzzword.

Congrats you fell for the marketing of another corporation and think they're you're friend. In reality it's just different schemes of trying to part you from your money and of course the non market leader is more desperate to get a piece of the pie.

In reality it's just different schemes of trying to part you from your money and of course the non market leader is more desperate to get a piece of the pie.
    This. It's little different than when PSN allowed for free multiplayer during PS3. Part of it was that PSN is kinda not great (and still isn't), but it was a selling point to try to get more folks to buy PS3's while Sony was losing that generation. They'd evened things out by the time next-gen came around and had momentum so that "perk" was dropped since Sony felt confident enough to start charging for online like Microsoft was.

Same reason why Microsoft dropped Gold requirements for online programs like Netflix and shit. They could afford to gate that behind Gold while they had the momentum, but as expectations changed and they found themselves looking for more ways to attract folks to the platform that gate was opened up.

Every company wants to extract as much money from you as they can for the most part. Always have, always will. Especially if said company is publicly traded, which all of the platform makers are.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    smart delivery says hi
    Of course, videogames(at the ip level) aren't fungible, that's the reason I even own a PS5. 10 dollars is also not the problem, imo, in this case.

Instead, I think you actually did get the right answer. It isn't smart delivery per se, but rather consistency and education about upgrades that MS did well.

Having a process that is the same each time, static, and known to the consumer is highly valuable when dealing with relatively confusing issues like this. I don't think rushing to price compete while holding a premium product is a good idea, but having consistent tools and marketing across the product array is very valuable to the consumer. Giving that process an easily referable name like "smart delivery" is just good marketing, and provides a sense of both permanence and assurance.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-09-07 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Of course, videogames(at the ip level) aren't fungible, that's the reason I even own a PS5. 10 dollars is also not the problem, imo, in this case.

Instead, I think you actually did get the right answer. It isn't smart delivery, but rather consistency and education about upgrades that MS did well.

Having a process that is the same each time, static, and known to the consumer is highly valuable when dealing with relatively confusing issues like this. I don't think rushing to price compete while holding a premium product is a good idea, but having consistent tools and marketing across the product array is very valuable to the consumer. Giving that process an easily referable name like "smart delivery" is just good marketing, and provides a sense of both permanence and assurance.
    Except its still just as confusing because only some games support smart delivery and most of the major 3rd party releases have stopped supporting it. Its a fucking buzzword dude, no developer is required to support smart delivery. So in the end you have to research if a game supports smart delivery the same way you need to research if a PS5 upgrade is free. You put an Xbox One version of Madden 22 in your Series X and you're playing the Xbox One version, if you want to play the Series X version that will be $70.

Except its still just as confusing because only some games support smart delivery and most of the major 3rd party releases have stopped supporting it. Its a fucking buzzword dude, no developer is required to support smart delivery. So in the end you have to research if a game supports smart delivery the same way you need to research if a PS5 upgrade is free. You put an Xbox One version of Madden 22 in your Series X and you're playing the Xbox One version, if you want to play the Series X version that will be $70.
    At the end of the day, 3rd parties will do whatever they want.

But all 1st party Xbox titles will support smart delivery which means only paying one consistent price for a single version of a game while 1st party Playstation titles will continue to charge you an extra $10 for the ps5 version. It's pretty obvious which option here is better.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post

But all 1st party Xbox titles will support smart delivery which means only paying one consistent price for a single version of a game while 1st party Playstation titles will continue to charge you an extra $10 for the ps5 version. It's pretty obvious which option here is better.
    Sony because they actually have games

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post

All 1st party titles support it because they all support gamepass. It would be entirely irrelevant for MS to have a $10 increase on first party games unless they where going to stop releasing them on gamepass. Barely anyone is buying MS games for $60 anymore with gamepass anyways so again smart delivery is irrelevant for that if you're just getting them from gamepass anyways. If you don't understand the business move here idk what to tell you.

The games you actually have to buy on Xbox that aren't on gamepass day 1, big 3rd party games are starting to mostly not support it cause they want their extra $10 and good guy MS also makes $3 more on a $70 game then a $60 one so they aren't going to fight with them to do it either.

Phil Spencer is not your friend, and he wants to part money from your wallet the same as all video game companies.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-09-07 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Sony because they actually have games
    yea cause PS5 is filled to the brim with exclusive to ps5 games right now...:insert eyeroll:. Also this argument needs to fuck off. Xbox has a lot more exclusive IPs now.

EDIT: Before you try and use a strawman of xbox isn't filled to the brim with games right now either...I understand this...and it's not my argument. So don't try and use that strawman.
    Last edited by RuneDK; 2021-09-07 at 08:00 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    yea cause PS5 is filled to the brim with exclusive to ps5 games right now...:insert eyeroll:. Also this argument needs to fuck off. Xbox has a lot more exclusive IPs now.
    Currently its 6 (of the top of my head) to 0 in favor of sony

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Currently its 6 (of the top of my head) to 0 in favor of sony
    His logic is checkmate. IPs > Games. Guess "we will have games bro we promise" is a better selling point to him then actually releasing games. It sure won RuneDK over.