Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    Colour can absolutely be dated based on current trends. Gaming example - the beige PC case.

Similar to trends though, newer mechanics aren't necessarily better. Sometimes they're just different, and the old ones will come back around.
    #bringbackbeige

I'd still like to stuff the guts of my RGB compensator into an old grossly yellowed IBM chassis.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    That doesn't stop the opinions themselves being bad
    Doesn't make their opinions bad, just your interpretation of them. Again, subjective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Daze.

/10c-

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wait gaming in general.

Durability.

The cliche in Pokemon of a damned 8 year old taking down an entire criminal organization singlehandedly. Same vein, a damned 8 year old being charged with saving the fucking UNIVERSE.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    Daze.

/10c-

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wait gaming in general.

Durability.

The cliche in Pokemon of a damned 8 year old taking down an entire criminal organization singlehandedly. Same vein, a damned 8 year old being charged with saving the fucking UNIVERSE.
    Um. You can't even get a trainer license until you're 10. Fake news.

Last edited by Femininity; 2021-09-08 at 05:54 AM.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Uhhhh...

No.

I don't see a single genre that is outdated. Some sell better than others, but that doesn't mean they are outdated.
    Like fashion, genres tend to come and go out of style in a cycle. With games, the market tends to get flooded with whatever the trendy genre is, and the players get overloaded and/or bored of the genre then move onto another genre. Some players may just always stick to a genre despite the popular trends because they enjoy it, and that's perfectly fine.

In terms of actual mechanics... again, it's more of a case of mechanics coming into and going out of style. Most of the mechanics I've seen listed thus farm tend to not be an issue, and seem more of a playstyle preference for individuals. Like the weapon system in BotW: I personally never had issues just picking up weapons as I went along, and I was more conscious of my weapon inventory space instead of the constant flow of weapons (and as someone else said, there's tons of places with free weapons you can just stock up on anyways). I never felt that any one weapon was too special to use, although I did keep certain weapons for specific cases... but that's more strategy and a fear of use. If weapons were rare and didn't just rain down like candy in most cases, I could see weapons breaking being an issue. While the system may be a weaker aspect of the game, it's only weak due to player preference.

If I had a literal mechanical aspect of a game, it would be the always-online aspect of certain games. I used to like Hardcore modes in games... until always online became the trend, and random disconnections and server issues/lag/rubberbanding has you die due to no fault of your own.

For a more gameplay-oriented mechanic, it would be increased difficulty modes trending towards enemies just being massive bullet sponges and/or everything just becomes a one-shot mechanic. If anything, it's easier just to adjust numbers for a difficulty setting with one parameter, but they tend to make the harder difficulties just more annoying than fun. A better implementation is to adjust the AI behavior to where they act smarter or faster or use new abilities, becoming more dangerous in a way where lower difficulties help prepare you... instead of the hardest difficulties just being the exact same game that just take longer. To be fair, increasing the HP of mobs and making their abilities hit harder isn't a bad thing, it's just to the point where there's no thought behind how and why the changes are made. The irony is a bunch of games decades ago did use smarter and/or adaptive AI that changed with difficulty or scaled dynamically depending upon the player within the same difficulty... but most games don't put that effort in anymore, and just slide up the HP scaling or damage output scaling. Considering the tech and tools available nowadays, there's no excuse for a mainstream AAA company to not be able to do a better job at difficulty settings in a game.

I'm trying to think of other gameplay mechanics to call out, but it's almost always a case of bad implementation alongside other games doing it right, not that they're outdated.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2021-09-08 at 07:02 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Respawn

I can understand in old games they didn't have the means to track what enemy you killed and so every screen had every enemy when you come back, even if you just killed them all.
    But nowerdays, respawn is just annoying. I don't want to fight the same enemy time and time again. If needed for the game design have new enemies populate the area after some achievement ingame or something thats different.
    I hate souls games because of that specifically.
    I understand it's needed in MMOs, of course, because everybody has to be the dude that kills the big boss or the pack of wolves that terrorizes the area, but in single-player games it's an outdated and annoying mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    I mean I was working on that assumption this whole time. But given the way people described their experience with the game only a few people actually gave it a go and werent so repulsed by the idea that your weapons break that they stopped playing or ended up playing in a painful way to play and missing half the game.

It feels like people didnt even get to a point where you have "lvled" link up enough for the weapon breaking to become less annoying. I mean just getting to hetsu makes things a lot better.
    But that's just the thing. It can take hours. If you are not enjoying yourself because of the durability mechanic, sometimes there is no incentive to see the rest of the game since you just aren't having fun. This is the subjective part. That the mechanic is such a turn off that you can't get to the next stage of the game. Would it be great if people gave it a chance? Absolutely. One of the best games ever. But I can also understand why somebody wouldn't want to since they are genuinely not enjoying themselves.

Autoattack in action rpgs
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

QTEs.

I shouldn't have to suddenly rush to pick up my controller during a cinematic and suddenly start pressing random buttons to be "immersed" in the scene. No. Just fucking let it play out.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

How the fuck did no one mention turret sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    Durability. There is not a single game that gets better with degrading items.
    This pissed me off no end in Dark Souls 2. Durability on some items was ridiculous. I don't mind it so much if the durability is minor and slow to degrade but it's almost always overtuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    QTEs.

I shouldn't have to suddenly rush to pick up my controller during a cinematic and suddenly start pressing random buttons to be "immersed" in the scene. No. Just fucking let it play out.
    I think totalbiscuit said it best along those lines: QTE work if they let you do something your character usually can't do with the combat. I would add to that it works if it comes straight out of combat. If there was a 5 minute cutscene before and I have put my hads off the input device to rest them, then a QTE is just a total dick move.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I think totalbiscuit said it best along those lines: QTE work if they let you do something your character usually can't do with the combat. I would add to that it works if it comes straight out of combat. If there was a 5 minute cutscene before and I have put my hads off the input device to rest them, then a QTE is just a total dick move.
    I think God of War 4 did it well, you knew when to expect them.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Leveling.

In most MMO or MMO type games which the bulk of its gameplay revolves around the "endgame loop", the leveling process is just a barrier to entry if you will. Just a hurdle to jump over until you can begin the real game.

Back in earlier iterations of MMO's, there was relevant content and even raiding to be done prior to max level.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    How the fuck did no one mention turret sections.
    I find those moments awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Not a mechanic, but generally speaking, stupidly low drop rates... especially in single player RPGs.

Was playing Demon Souls (PS5) recently, finally got my Platinum [100%], going after the Achievement to get all rings. One of it involved trading a gold coin. Said gold coin took me 3 fucking hours of farming for it to finally drop...

It is the absolute laziest way of extending play time in games.
    If it took 5 minutes, you'd cry about that too. There should be rare things in games that take time to get.

Bad UI
    Durability
    Limited equipment space

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    What game mechanics do you consider outdated?
    RNG gearing
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    If it took 5 minutes, you'd cry about that too. There should be rare things in games that take time to get.
    Oh yeah, your idiotic assumption of a comparison of 5 minutes after I said I farmed for 3 hours in a SINGLE PLAYER game for that 1 item...
    Last edited by Daedius; 2021-09-08 at 01:39 PM.

Ammo escarcity in horror games. I just can't deal with that anymore, you either have zero ammo when you need or you are overflowing with them in the end game and you feel you wasted time saving bullets. Unfortunally it seens I am mostly alone in this opinion as horror games that doesnt have ammo escarcity/bullet spounge enemies are usually criticized.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.