Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I do think Elder is good for Newsom. It gives him somebody to run against.

According to the latest count, 25% of eligible voters had already mailed their votes in. That is not good news for the GOP.

Newsom may be a smarmy kind of guy, but ultimately, with the exception of the French Laundry thing, he has done okay.

Unlike during Gray Davis' governorship, the state does not have a budget crisis. In fact it has a budget surplus and ever increasing revenue.

No energy crisis either. No rolling blackouts for at least 2 decades. No, 2020 does not count as rolling blackout. It was limited to 2 million customers in Northern California, and lasted only one hour on Friday and minutes on Saturday.

As for Covid, by any metrics (case number, hospitalization, death and economy) California is doing a lot better than the other 3 large states.
    I think the GOP is relying on democratic voter apathy to hand them an undeserved victory, rather than any overarching grievance Californians at large have with newsom.

Here’s hoping they’re wrong.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    then maybe, just maybe you should do some research before sharing your opinion with the class?
    but then he can't feign ignorance later on when shown how stupid his choice is.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    In California we often get badass conservative governors. Ronald Reagan, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and maybe Larry Elder is next. I just looked at his policy positions, he wants to lower taxes and shrink government. I'm not very familiar with him but it seems he would make an excellent political leader as long as he's not a super religious person, imo.
    often would be more than 2 over 40 years

and Arnold is persona non grata among the GOP now
    and Reagan, well his legend is beloved in the GOP, reality would have been hunted like Pence on the 6th.
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I do think Elder is good for Newsom. It gives him somebody to run against.

According to the latest count, 25% of eligible voters had already mailed their votes in. That is not good news for the GOP.

Newsom may be a smarmy kind of guy, but ultimately, with the exception of the French Laundry thing, he has done okay.

Unlike during Gray Davis' governorship, the state does not have a budget crisis. In fact it has a budget surplus and ever increasing revenue.

No energy crisis either. No rolling blackouts for at least 2 decades. No, 2020 does not count as rolling blackout. It was limited to 2 million customers in Northern California, and lasted only one hour on Friday and minutes on Saturday.

As for Covid, by any metrics (case number, hospitalization, death and economy) California is doing a lot better than the other 3 large states.
    He is lucky there really aren't any better candidates cause the dude has no fucking integrity at all. As someone whos family lost multiple properties in the Paradise fire fuck this dude. https://www.axios.com/gavin-newsom-w...ed84f58bb.html

California Gov. Newsom (D) misled the public about the progress his office had made in shoring up wildfire prevention according to an investigative report by CapRadio and NPR’s California Newsroom.

Why it matters: The revelations come just as drought-stricken California gears up for a devastating fire season that could prove to be the worst on record.

The state of play: Newsom has underscored the importance of wildfire prevention since his first day in office in 2019, when he signed an executive order overhauling the state's fire prevention efforts.

Shortly thereafter, Cal Fire launched 35 "priority projects" to protect 200 communities especially vulnerable to wildfires.
    In January 2020 Newsom announced that the 35 priority projects had successfully targeted 90,000 acres of land with fire prevention efforts, such as fuel breaks.
    The big picture: The report states that there is "little evidence" that Newsom had accomplished these goals and had, in fact, reduced funding for wildfire prevention programs.

The investigation found that while Newsom claimed the priority projects successfully treated 90,000 acres, state records show the number to be 11,399—an exaggeration of 690%.
    "But the data analyzed by CapRadio and NPR’s California Newsroom show that Cal Fire treated a small fraction of that amount, 11,399 acres, or about 13% of the amount cited by Newsom," it noted.
    In 2020, Newsom cut about $150 million from Cal Fire’s wildfire prevention budget, slashing it from $355 million to $203 million.

California's fuel reduction output also dropped by half in 2020, the report added.
    In 2019, the "overall amount of wildfire mitigation work carried out by Cal Fire" totalled 64,000 acres but in 2020 that figure had plunged to less than 32,000 acres.
    The report notes that Newsom's office did not respond to a request for comment.
    What's more: The head of Cal Fire, Chief Thom Porter, admitted in the report that Newsom had misrepresented his accomplishments.

In fact, according to Porter, California was never in the position to treat 90,000 acres in 2019.
    “We didn't have all of the environmental clearance that we were going to need to do all of that work,” Porter said. “Nor did we have all of the agreements with landowners completely in place.”
    He should lose his job for this ^, the only thing that may save the shithead is that the other options will only lead to more death.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    He is lucky there really aren't any better candidates cause the dude has no fucking integrity at all. As someone whos family lost multiple properties in the Paradise fire fuck this dude. https://www.axios.com/gavin-newsom-w...ed84f58bb.html

He should lose his job for this ^, the only thing that may save the shithead is that the other options will only lead to more death.
    Oh, by all means, vote him out next year. He wasn't my first choice when he ran, and I'm not super thrilled with the job he's done since. But at least then we won't end up with a MAGA cultist in charge for a year.

10+ Year Old Account

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The fact that he blames Newsome for the hostility he faced is kinda special.
    The Washington Times ran the headline today, "Recanting nothing, Larry Elder becomes the likeliest candidate to replace Gavin Newsom--and the likeliest to let him hold onto his job."

10+ Year Old Account
    In the tradition of of Donald Trump and Nina Turner; Elder is trying to discredit the very election he's might lose.

Larry Elder baselessly raises possibility of election 'shenanigans' in California recall.

Tell me about Dumdum Populism, without telling me it's Dumdum Populism.

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    In the tradition of of Donald Trump and Nina Turner; Elder is trying to discredit the very election he's might lose.

Larry Elder baselessly raises possibility of election 'shenanigans' in California recall.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...edented-crisis

Bitching and moaning about "election fraud" has become the global standard excuse for Fascists when they slip in the polls.

"Even tho I was/am the ruling head of state and control the entire state security apparatus, the elections are rigged if I lose".

I mean in the case of Larry Elder, what sane minded Californian would want to vote for anyone else? Why wouldn't you want to pay reparations to slave owners, abolish sex ed, eliminate the government, bankrupt the state and turn California into a corporate ruled state where half the state is on fire 6 months a year with rampant water shortages and legions of unpaid convicts used as firefighters to shift through the remnants of burned down communities?

But hey....if you're a millionaire, you've got a guaranteed tax cut coming.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2021-09-09 at 05:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...edented-crisis

Bitching and moaning about "election fraud" has become the global standard excuse for Fascists when they slip in the polls.

"Even tho I was/am the ruling head of state and control the entire state security apparatus, the elections are rigged if I lose".

I mean in the case of Larry Elder, what sane minded Californian would want to vote for anyone else? Why wouldn't you want to pay reparations to slave owners, abolish sex ed, eliminate the government, bankrupt the state and turn California into a corporate ruled state where half the state is on fire 6 months a year with rampant water shortages and legions of unpaid convicts used as firefighters to shift through the remnants of burned down communities?

But hey....if you're a millionaire, you've got a guaranteed tax cut coming
    What good is that money if I can't buy an election?
    /s
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

That move will probably be more detrimental to him than Newsom.

Newsom power base is the Bay Area which historically has the highest voters turnout in the state. That's why both CA Senators and pretty much all the state wide officials are from the Bay Area.

Elder power base is Northern and Central California counties, with some in in the inland areas of Southern California. Which historically have low voters turnout. Especially on non-election years. The idea that the election may be rigged against them will depress turnout even more.

I don’t recall Nina Turner saying anything like that… lies are fun aren’t they.

From a certain point of view. He does have a point.

Granted he's wrong. But at the time, they were property and a person built his livelihood around it. That an entire families economy was ripped out from under him isn't his fault per se.

It's an interesting argument, morality aside.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post

Granted he's wrong. But at the time, they were property and a person built his livelihood around it. That an entire families economy was ripped out from under him isn't his fault per se.

This the same people who when thousands of Americans were dying a day from Covid asked "But what about the Economy?"

Yeah. We know what direction their moral compass points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Uhm. Building your wealth on the systemic and violent oppression of an entire race of people is your fault.

It's not like people at the time were oblivious to the immorality of what they were doing, they just handwaved away their concerns sipping sweet tea and enjoying the comforts afforded to them by the labor and suffering of others.

10+ Year Old Account
    From the point of view of the plantation owners and their boot lockers. Thats okay we can safely ignore that point of view.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

10+ Year Old Account

It remains "his fault" for choosing that particular process to base his family's economy upon.

The same way we don't provide reparations for drug dealers' families, or sex traffickers, or arms dealing or the like. If your product and/or your actions in producing/marketing/providing it were egregious enough that the entire product framework had to be strictly regulated to minimize that harm, you don't deserve a damned thing. In fact, what fortunes you have produced through that exploitation are on shaky grounds as it is, and I wouldn't have much issue with government seizures.

Ex-slaveowners after emancipation not only shouldn't have gotten reparations, if they owned a slave plantation, that plantation should have been seized by the government. And I'm not sure that goes far enough.

Rich and powerful people still do things today that they know are wrong. Just because they can get away with it doesn't mean they aren't aware.

Anyone who has ever owned a person as a slave knew very well what they were doing was shitty.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Anyone who has ever owned a person as a slave knew very well what they were doing was shitty.
    Actually, I'd say a big reason that the Civil War happened is that a great many of them truly believed that there was nothing shitty about owning slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Actually, I'd say a big reason that the Civil War happened is that a great many of them truly believed that there was nothing shitty about owning slaves.
    It was literally the number 1 reason.