Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Ex-slaveowners after emancipation not only shouldn't have gotten reparations, if they owned a slave plantation, that plantation should have been seized by the government. And I'm not sure that goes far enough.
    It depended how high profile you were, high enough and they take your home and turn it into a national cemetery.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I don’t recall Nina Turner saying anything like that… lies are fun aren’t they.
    did you have fun posting that?

I took 90 seconds to find this
    Nina Turner slammed for claiming she 'didn't lose this race,' 'evil money manipulated' election
    During her concession speech Tuesday night, Turner characterized the election as one manipulated by "evil money."

"I am going to work hard to ensure that something like this never happens to a progressive candidate again. See, we didn't lose this race — evil money manipulated and maligned this election," she said, according to a video posted by Newsweek.

"See, I don’t want you to relent, because it took evil money," she continued. "They took evil money to come in here and do this. Well, I swear to you, that as sure as there is a God in heaven, sister Turner is going to continue working with every fiber of her being until true justice reigns."
    or, if reading is boring and you want video

https://www.newsweek.com/nina-turner...rimary-1615986
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    did you have fun posting that?

I took 90 seconds to find this
    Nina Turner slammed for claiming she 'didn't lose this race,' 'evil money manipulated' election

or, if reading is boring and you want video

https://www.newsweek.com/nina-turner...rimary-1615986
    I did have fun posting it and I have even more fun looking at your poor comprehension skills and inability to tell the difference between:

"This election was stolen by fraud. I actually won"

and

"I didn't just lose this race. I lost this race because monied interests against me"

"We didn't lose this race, evil money maligned and manipulated it"

In what way is that equal to "I'm actually president and won"?

it literally is an argument against money in politics, saying that negative ads from large lobbying groups against her pushed public opinion Which studies show MONEY OFTEN DICTATES RACES

Truly fucking pathetic if this is your "gotcha"

If huge monied interest put out literal lies about a candidate which sours people against them, in what way is that no manipulation? It's legal manipulation but manipulation. Her campaign didn't go negative which was a poor choice.. they could have railed her opposition on awarding her lover contracts worth millions while she was in a position of power... but they didn't do that.

Manipulation is what she said caused her to lose the race, which isn't a fucking radical statement except to magats and weirdo anti progressive people. Are you going to sit here and deny that when a conservative Israeli lobby puts out false advertisements about a person that that isn't manipulation?

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-wo...pending-states

Here you go honey.
    Last edited by Themius; 2021-09-10 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Ex-slaveowners after emancipation not only shouldn't have gotten reparations, if they owned a slave plantation, that plantation should have been seized by the government. And I'm not sure that goes far enough.
    Sure from a moral point of view.

However, if the system you're born and raised into tells you that XYZ is the property and not human. That's all you know. Are you really doing anything wrong? And sure we know how it's quite literally the worst thing we've ever done as a species outside maybe the holocaust and camp 721

I'm absolutely certain there were people who, genuinely without a doubt, believed this was the natural order. And they built their lives on this. Like building your life on a piece of technology and then having that ripped away.

Again I'm not saying they're right...at all. I'm saying; it's an interesting argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Sure from a moral point of view.

However, if the system you're born and raised into tells you that XYZ is the property and not human. That's all you know. Are you really doing anything wrong? And sure we know how it's quite literally the worst thing we've ever done as a species outside maybe the holocaust and camp 721

I'm absolutely certain there were people who, genuinely without a doubt, believed this was the natural order. And they built their lives on this. Like building your life on a piece of technology and then having that ripped away.

Again I'm not saying they're right...at all. I'm saying; it's an interesting argument.
    And?

A lot of Germans under the Nazi Reich went along and supported the Reich because it was what you did. We have a word for Germans who did so.

That word is "Nazi", with every bit of venom and denigration that goes along with it.

You're defining why they were terrible abusers and deserved to be penalized for their actions. Not providing a defense. I give as much of a shit about their opinion on how "right" they were as I do about how much Dahmer enjoyed the taste of human flesh.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did have fun posting it and I have even more fun looking at your poor comprehension skills and inability to tell the difference between:

"This election was stolen by fraud. I actually won"

and

"I didn't just lose this race. I lost this race because monied interests against me"

"We didn't lose this race, evil money maligned and manipulated it"

In what way is that equal to "I'm actually president and won"?

it literally is an argument against money in politics, saying that negative ads from large lobbying groups against her pushed public opinion Which studies show MONEY OFTEN DICTATES RACES

Truly fucking pathetic if this is your "gotcha"

If huge monied interest put out literal lies about a candidate which sours people against them, in what way is that no manipulation? It's legal manipulation but manipulation. Her campaign didn't go negative which was a poor choice.. they could have railed her opposition on awarding her lover contracts worth millions while she was in a position of power... but they didn't do that.

Manipulation is what she said caused her to lose the race, which isn't a fucking radical statement except to magats and weirdo anti progressive people. Are you going to sit here and deny that when a conservative Israeli lobby puts out false advertisements about a person that that isn't manipulation?

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-wo...pending-states

Here you go honey.
    I never loved you, I only stayed for the children, that don't exist.

and when you finish moving the goalpost, remember to comprehend the post you replied to said
    In the tradition of of Donald Trump and Nina Turner; Elder is trying to discredit the very election he's might lose.
    Nina Turner is unquestionably trying to discredit it

YOU, in a sad attempt to justify calling another poster a liar, are claiming that can only be if she claims its fraud

but, if it MUST be equal to "I'm actually president and won"
    Turner has got you covered!!

"I am going to work hard to ensure that something like this never happens to a progressive candidate again. See, we didn't lose this race — evil money manipulated and maligned this election"
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

10+ Year Old Account

and when you finish moving the goalpost, remember to comprehend the post you replied to said

YOU, in a sad attempt to justify calling another poster a liar, are claiming that can only be if she claims its fraud

"I am going to work hard to ensure that something like this never happens to a progressive candidate again. See, we didn't lose this race — evil money manipulated and maligned this election"
    Her concessions speech was bad enough. But the real gem was her 30 min spiel on the TYT-Members-Only twitch stream. Where she and Cenk talk about how bad dems are, lean into some anti-Semitic tropes about the (((elites))). Nothing about running bad campaigns, blowing huge money and name-recognition advantages.

Imagine, losing Dem primaries after pissing on Dems for 5 years....

Also, she called varies Dem primaries "rigged" in 2016 and 2020 if anyone wants to look those up.

Cosplay Clowns need to realize the 30% strategy only works in the CA Recall vote. Were a whacko like Elder can win a very low plurality if enough dumdum vote Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Yea..if you were born in that era, sure, your perspective could only be what you know and are familiar with. However...the argument is the here and now. We've grown and know we can, and I hope, will do better.

Nina Turner didn't "discredit" the election but pointed out a problem with the elections that doesn't "discredit" them. When a politician win after pouring in 50 million into an area. The statement that "money played a large role in them winning" doesn't "discredit the election results" because the election results aren't what's in question but rather the atmosphere that allows manipulative and false advertising. Again you show us your poor poor grasps of basic comprehension.

They lied, they were a liar. it is a lie to say that Nina Turner and Donald Trump both tried to discredit the election. Trump directly called into question the election; Nina calls into question the way we run campaigns that allow manipulation of opinions Note how these are two different things.

Pathetic truly... you really do show your utter lack of capability and understanding of NUANCE it's a thing that is missing from you and super pro establishment Milch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Her concessions speech was bad enough. But the real gem was her 30 min spiel on the TYT-Members-Only twitch stream. Where she and Cenk talk about how bad dems are, lean into some anti-Semitic tropes about the (((elites))). Nothing about running bad campaigns, blowing huge money and name-recognition advantages.

Imagine, losing Dem primaries after pissing on Dems for 5 years....

Also, she called varies Dem primaries "rigged" in 2016 and 2020 if anyone wants to look those up.

Cosplay Clowns need to realize the 30% strategy only works in the CA Recall vote. Were a whacko like Elder can win a very low plurality if enough dumdum vote Yes.
    Anti-semetic tropes because they used the word elites? Talk about lying bullshit.

It's now anti-Semitic to say there are elites? For fuck sakes the most progressive voices are mostly all not elites why do you think that is?

Do you think the fact that congress is extremely rich could be why they're being called elites? When most of them are fucking part of the 1% of the top 0.1%??? The fuck are you on, that you think saying they're elite is now anti-septic.

Democratic Primaries are rigged by their design... like literally that's how they're set up...

Also recall how you lied about the TYT thing and Elder where Ana supports a recall but also said it only works if there's a progressive candidate otherwise the recall is likely to do more harm. You kinda ignored that when you claim everyone is a cosplay clown.

Democratic Primaries are rigged by their design... like literally that's how they're set up...
    *sigh*

They're fuckin not. Or I guess there's some master plan to "allow" the progressives who actually know how to campaign and have gotten elected and are constantly needling at the establishment dems (which is a good thing). Or they were just so good they beat the Democrats rigged game which...for at least a few of them I think we can very confidently say that they didn't, they just won a clean primary and race.

Though we're getting off topic here because right now it's Larry Elder who's not just implicitly calling the election rigged, but more or less explicitly doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    *sigh*

They're fuckin not. Or I guess there's some master plan to "allow" the progressives who actually know how to campaign and have gotten elected and are constantly needling at the establishment dems (which is a good thing). Or they were just so good they beat the Democrats rigged game which...for at least a few of them I think we can very confidently say that they didn't, they just won a clean primary and race.

Though we're getting off topic here because right now it's Larry Elder who's not just implicitly calling the election rigged, but more or less explicitly doing so.
    You're making a lot of assumptions here... the first being that "rigged" must also mean nefarious in some way...the set up of which states go first and why is "rigging" the regionality that is very important to the primaries going in blocks is a form of rigging. Rigging can literally just mean "an apparatus that exist that benefits one particular group more than the other".

Progressives being attacked by establishment democrats to suppress them is a form of rigging since it is part of the apparatus to maintain the structures that keep the establishment already in place. That doesn't mean suddenly elections were invalid or the vote itself is rigged, but it is just how politics and the system works.

Why don't you try to understand what I mean and if you didn't, fucking ask instead of making assumption. I mean usually when I reply to shit people say I usually have a question in there for clarifying purposes unless I've already seen the poster in the past hold a particular view about a particular issue. Now... I don't have a past of saying that elections themselves were rigged against progressives so where did you get off on that?

The senate is rigged against progress, we know this due to rules and the blocking of progressive ideas like... "let's stop lynching black people" getting blocked since the 20s. That's how it works, but it is a form of rigging.

Lobbyist buy interest in our government and exert their will on the masses using their money as the vehicle to do it. That is a form of rigging is it not? Don't fly off the fucking handle because I said rigging when you should idk... think about who you're speaking to first. If I say a word... I usually mean the word in the sense of the word itself.

Rigging refers (or used to before fucking Trump), the setup of the system the system being setup in such a way to do a particular duty. Post-trump and now every person is either throwing out rigged to say stolen, nefariously lost, and imply illegality or wrongdoing instead of using the word to refer to the wider system...
    Last edited by Themius; 2021-09-10 at 05:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rigged

Definition of rigged
    1: manipulated or controlled by deceptive or dishonest means
    a rigged election
    Attempts to pass a rigged repatriation bill are exhibit A of what enrages Americans about Washington and Wall Street.
    — Brent Budowsky
    His reluctance stemmed not from a lack of mercy but from his sense that pardons were a rigged game, tilted in favor of offenders with political connections.
    — Massimo Calabresi et al.
    Cambridge's is about the same

"rigged" has always been dishonest, cheating, etc.
    rigging has only been benign when referring to ropes for suspending things, and it's not reasonable to claim that use here.

Trump changed things, that word ain't one them.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now, back to Larry, he and conservitive media are whining hard that people arent defending him from the egging gorilla woman as a hate crime.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    What is really funny, is that this fucking clown, actually works for fucking Chinese propagandists the Epoch Times. Trumpers hate Chinese anything, but maybe their food. Which is why the Asian hate crimes have gone up so much since Covid hit.
    You realize that the owners of the Epoch Times are actively censored by the Chinese government right? Not making any judgment on the group, you just make it sound like it’s a mouthpiece of the CCP when it’s not.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    You realize that the owners of the Epoch Times are actively censored by the Chinese government right? Not making any judgment on the group, you just make it sound like it’s a mouthpiece of the CCP when it’s not.
    Doesn't change the point of the post. People whine about Chinese anything, and this is no different.

Cambridge's is about the same

"rigged" has always been dishonest, cheating, etc.
    rigging has only been benign when referring to ropes for suspending things, and it's not reasonable to claim that use here.

Trump changed things, that word ain't one them.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now, back to Larry, he and conservitive media are whining hard that people arent defending him from the egging gorilla woman as a hate crime.
    1. Deception or dishonesty means.

Buying up ad space and then "lying" about candidates in negative ads is literally dishonest and deceptive.

Let's go to Oxford shall we:

rig something to arrange or influence something in a dishonest way in order to get the result that you want
    Many systems are exactly like this. The senate is rigged against progress, since the 20s anti-lynching laws have been blocked by the senate with those voting often saying "my constituents xyz" when actually no... no that isn't the case when we look at polling. After Trump people have decided to only use rigged in one particular way while ignoring others.

Arrange or influence something in a dishonest way. Our politics is often dishonest and rigged in such a way to get a particular result which is to maintain the power of those already in power.

Dishonesty and cheating aren't the same fucking thing. If I say "oh that's a beautiful dress Maria" because I want to get Maria's money for some function that is dishonesty, that isn't cheating... If I put out negative ads that are lies about someone that is dishonesty but that isn't cheating.

and if you want to stick with Cambridge:

to arrange an event or amount in a dishonest way:
    to dishonestly influence or change something in order to get the result that you want:

It would have been more correct for me to say "since Trump people have forgotten the other uses of rig and only focus on one". You can't just post a particular definition and then discount the others as if they're "different"

Continue means to go on, just because that's one definition that doesn't now mean that continue can't also mean to stop or pause something.
    Last edited by Themius; 2021-09-11 at 01:45 PM.

This will be a steep climb for GOP. Already 8 million votes turned in out of 22 million registered voters.

California Politics: The recall electorate has changed

The poll also reveals an awakening particularly among Democrats — a 33-percentage-point boost in their interest from the July poll to now. And there’s some real-world data to back that up: The latest report of ballots received by elections officials, compiled by Political Data, Inc., shows that 53% of the ballots that have already been cast came from Democrats.

That share will likely shrink a bit as election day approaches, as the new poll finds a sizable number of Republicans say they plan to vote in person. But the lopsidedness of the early voting in Newsom’s favor could be hard to surmount.

DiCamillo collaborated with the team at Political Data, Inc. to confirm that Californians in the poll who said they had already voted had actually done so, what he likened to “a little version of an exit poll,” the traditional election day surveys used to get an early glimpse of the outcome. Among those voters, the recall was even less popular: 70% of voters who had already cast ballots said they voted to retain Newsom.

“It’s a tall order to make that up” for recall supporters, DiCamillo said.

I guess the lesson here is that this is not 2003 and don't put up a far right shock jock talk show host as a candidate.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-09-11 at 08:40 PM.

If Newsom takes it, he'll be sitting more firmly than he was when he began his term.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If Newsom takes it, he'll be sitting more firmly than he was when he began his term.
    If he gets well over 50%, not only will his statewide stature increase, but so will his national stature increase.

The guy who went up against the far right and won by a landslide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It’s gonna really suck if Larry Elder wins…
    for awhile, but if he won, his failure becomes a cautionary tale that hurts the GOP nationwide

You don't want your policies to be the ones that crater a state known for being the world's 4th largest economy

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It’s gonna really suck if Larry Elder wins…
    Possible. Not likely though. This is still California. Hard to imagine an anti vax and mask mandate, anti abortion, anti just about everything popular in the state can win a governorship. The Democratic voters would have been okay with a moderate like Faulconer. Not Elder.