Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    First up. You are having an opinion, a very narrow and short sighted one. Second up, I've already playied SWTOR years ago (I hit max level on the beta at that), it was "ok", it was also a WoW style MMORPG that shares little in common with KOTOR. Your post/opinion isn't original and it isn't going to sway anyone, by all means you believe what you want but you're not the person who gets to decide whether they can or cannot make KOTOR3.
    No, it's not an opinion. It's a fact. It's the same universe. "The old republic".

You are the one that has to be more specific on what they are asking for. If what you want is a new Star wars single player RPG, you should say that.
    If you want to call it KOTOR or TOR, the story continued. So, you have to tell us what a KOTOR3 is for you. Cause a 3rd KOTOR as a continuation of KOTOR 1 and 2 story line has already happened and that is a fact.
    Oh and btw it extends all the way to a major story update we got this year on SWTOR. I really don't understand people who stand here and ask for a KOTOR 3 when that game exists under the name SWTOR. What do you want from this "KOTOR 3"?
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-09-11 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    It's gotten to the point where if I even see someone use the word "woke" I automatically ignore whatever it is they are saying and move on. It's not worth even conversing with those kinds of people.
    I've gotten to the point that I see SJW or woke associated with a game, and I automatically just don't buy it. These people are incapable of putting good story and gameplay first, thanks to their blinkered and evil worldview. I actually don't care that they have that worldview as such, I don't care about the writers of any piece of media more than I have to. Unfortunately, people with those labels repeatedly prove themselves to be absolutely miserable, writing complete tripe.

If this is your reaction, then, grand.You care little for a good game, and more about feeling virtuous.

When people use the word SJW and Woke in a serious manner, you know they’re on something strong. Who even walks around trying to identify what’s woke and what isn’t? Fuck me. Imagine walking around the world going ‘that’s right wing’ and ‘that’s toxic’. Go live life and stop complaining that things aren’t exactly the way you like them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    I've gotten to the point that I see SJW or woke associated with a game, and I automatically just don't buy it. These people are incapable of putting good story and gameplay first, thanks to their blinkered and evil worldview. I actually don't care that they have that worldview as such, I don't care about the writers of any piece of media more than I have to. Unfortunately, people with those labels repeatedly prove themselves to be absolutely miserable, writing complete tripe.

If this is your reaction, then, grand.You care little for a good game, and more about feeling virtuous.
    Cool, and what about situations when peeps start labelling things as "woke" for some w/e bullshit reasons, as we explained here before? Like when they see female protagonist? Or when they said Dark Phenix is woke, because of one sentence in entire movie: "Women save men here so often that maybe X-Men should be re-named X-Women". Or with current Mortal Kombat game, when Jax Tower ending (one of many alternate endings in game) made him become an evil tyrant, getting revenge on white people for mistreatment of his brethren? I saw plenty of tards screaming "woke" and condemning entire products because of these tine parts. Would you do the same?
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2021-09-11 at 10:30 AM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    I find it amusing that people can call some developers lazy for reusing assets, content, etc. Blizzard, for instance. Yet people get hyped for a remake.

Just makes little sense, is all.
    Tbh reusing assets is nowhere near the same as a fully fledged remake. Especially since fully fledged remakes don’t use the…same assets. They use narrative, core art type and core gameplay mechanics, but then make it into a modern generation game as far as tech etc is concerned. Like, if World of Warcraft did a modern remake from Classic onwards, I’d absolutely play it, even if I’ve done the story before. Because it would be sexy.

Hoping for the best. Expecting the worst.

Hopeing for the following.

-That Darkside characters are not just assholes. Seriously. All the "good" Darkside characters are following that path for a reason and that reason is not be rude to everyone but to achieve a goal or they get slowly corrupted into it without knowing. Unlike Kotor, were Darkside Revan is just Darth Edgelord.

-More gametime, Quests and levels.

-The removal of the whole man the turret when landing somewere.

-That they can bring Kreia from Kotor2 into Kotor1. Best NPC ever written. She trained Revan after all and her goals in Kotor2 are very.... unique.
    Last edited by Kotuthan; 2021-09-11 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    No, it's not an opinion. It's a fact. It's the same universe. "The old republic".

You are the one that has to be more specific on what they are asking for. If what you want is a new Star wars single player RPG, you should say that.
    If you want to call it KOTOR or TOR, the story continued. So, you have to tell us what a KOTOR3 is for you. Cause a 3rd KOTOR as a continuation of KOTOR 1 and 2 story line has already happened and that is a fact.
    Oh and btw it extends all the way to a major story update we got this year on SWTOR. I really don't understand people who stand here and ask for a KOTOR 3 when that game exists under the name SWTOR. What do you want from this "KOTOR 3"?
    There is no fact, you've decided because the Revan story was told in the MMO that there can't be another KOTOR game in the game universe? Like I said you're narrow-minded and short-sighted in your views. All that needs to happen to create a KOTOR 3 is some numbers show up on an executives desk and he says "ahh yes I like money, lets do this".

None of the baggage matters, not a great success example but just look at the 3rd trilogy of movies, they just did away with the extended universe and George's story ideas. None of what you talk about has any relevance to whether or not a KOTOR 3 can happen, it's just business and that's it.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Considering KOTOR is one of my fav games of all times, am preparing myself to be disappointed. Then again the recent movies have pretty much killed the whole Starwars brand for me, so it's not much lost if this is a dud.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotuthan View Post
    Hoping for the best. Expecting the worst the worst.

Hopeing for the following.

-That Darkside characters are not just assholes. Seriously. All the "good" Darkside characters are following that path for a reason and that reason is not be rude to everyone but to achieve a goal or they get slowly corrupted into it without knowing. Unlike Kotor, were Darkside Revan is just Darth Edgelord.

-More gametime, Quests and levels.

-The removal of the whole man the turret when landing somewere.

-That they can bring Kreia from Kotor2 into Kotor1. Best NPC ever written. She trained Revan after all and her goals in Kotor2 are very.... unique.
    Good luck on the first one. Most make the Dark Sider Murderous Edgelord Psychopaths for the sake of murder, but that is misunderstand the point of the Dark Side (the old EU had a diverse number of Dark Side characters.) The Darkside is the "quick and easy path" and that people start on the path due to fear. Some may go down it because they fear failing, so they do things to avoid losing.

The Light Side is more than "virtuous goody two shoes" as well. Yes, I'll save this one random ass person despite the fact that I am on a time sensitive mission to save millions.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    There is no fact, you've decided because the Revan story was told in the MMO that there can't be another KOTOR game in the game universe? Like I said you're narrow-minded and short-sighted in your views. All that needs to happen to create a KOTOR 3 is some numbers show up on an executives desk and he says "ahh yes I like money, lets do this".

None of the baggage matters, not a great success example but just look at the 3rd trilogy of movies, they just did away with the extended universe and George's story ideas. None of what you talk about has any relevance to whether or not a KOTOR 3 can happen, it's just business and that's it.
    And look at how well yeeting the extended universe worked out for them, considering Disney has effectively tarnished the brand among Star Wars loyalists by shitting on the legacy characters and are hanging by a thread with the remainder because The Mandalorian isn't a complete heaping pile of turd. Just goes to show you that changing things unnecessarily doesn't tend to pay off.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    And look at how well yeeting the extended universe worked out for them, considering Disney has effectively tarnished the brand among Star Wars loyalists by shitting on the legacy characters and are hanging by a thread with the remainder because The Mandalorian isn't a complete heaping pile of turd. Just goes to show you that changing things unnecessarily doesn't tend to pay off.
    To be far the old EU was a mess. Disney really had two options ... try to clean the mess of the old EU or toss it out and restart it.

The new trilogy lacked a focus even in the first movie. Was Rey the main character or was it Finn? There are arguments for both, it is almost like they tested both of them to see which audience liked more. They for some dumb reasons put ticking clocks in all 3 movies something the OT did once and the PT never did and put the entire trilogy into 3 movies where the First Order goes from being a fringe threat not taken seriously to dominating the galaxy in like a week to being utterly destroyed a year later.

The lack of focus hurt the sequel trilogy a ton. But also the Mandalorian gets overblown as "saving Star Wars." Star Wars was been "ruined" so many times that I am pretty much convinced nothing is going to sink the ship. Rise of Skywalker despite its flaw still grossed over a billion dollars and it is the worst of the trilogy for me and the Mandalorian had only been out a month before Rise of Skywalker, you can't build that much good credit that fast.

Empire was said to have ruined Star Wars by some ... now held as the best movie in the franchise.
    Return was said to have ruined Star Wars ... now people only complain about Ewoks.
    The prequels were said to have ruined Star Wars ... now there is an entire group of fans who argue they are better than the Originals.
    The Clone Wars was said to have ruined Star Wars and Ahsoka was a part of that hate ... now fans act like everyone loved her always and love the Series.

I fully expect in less than 10 years, you'll have people complaining about the next thing that ruined Star Wars and pretending the Sequel Trilogy is flawless or potentially meme'ing it like the prequels are.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

It's a remake? Meh, my excitement suddenly dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    It's a remake? Meh, my excitement suddenly dropped.
    A remake with a rewritten script by polar opposites of the people who wrote the original.

Yeah, it's going to be bad.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    A remake with a rewritten script by polar opposites of the people who wrote the original.

Yeah, it's going to be bad.
    Made by people who have only made ports, thus far. Not a single game of their own. They could have acquired some talent, and it could be fine, but I can't help but feel that we are not looking at a mere recipe for disaster, but at the Anarchist's Cookbook.

It should be noted, however, that this is not the first time Aspyr has been working with Kotor 1 and 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspyr

In 2015, Aspyr Media expanded their platform catalog again by releasing an iOS port of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic[8] and later, Bioware's classic-action RPG, Jade Empire - a title they extended to Android as well.[9] In 2015, Asyr updated Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords[10] (native widescreen resolutions up to 5K, Steam Workshop, support for controllers, 57[11] achievements, etc.) and also ported it to macOS and Linux.

So that's something, I suppose?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    When people use the word SJW and Woke in a serious manner, you know they’re on something strong. Who even walks around trying to identify what’s woke and what isn’t? Fuck me. Imagine walking around the world going ‘that’s right wing’ and ‘that’s toxic’. Go live life and stop complaining that things aren’t exactly the way you like them.
    You seem to be ignoring the fact that the head writer is a proven non kotor fan and a huge misandrist and just talking about the opinion of the use of woke.
    The going woke that people hate is the race changing for no real reason, like the lady who wanted to switch Blade from a man to a woman and is the same one that wanted to make Clark's parents black, the same type of woke crowd who ruined the Doctor Who mythos to making it that a bunch of old white dudes syphoned the restoration powers from a little black (obviously) girl ( super obvious). I could go on and on. But never mind all that and just know that we are going to get a game from a writer who clearly has an agenda and an Ax to grind which will surely be use on the game.

And to @Makabreska, Again, no gamer, no real gamer, complains of a lead female protag. Let me know the gamers that complained about the protag of Metroid prime dread, Resident Evil 3, Final Fantasy 13, Overwatch, Parasite Eve, Tomb Raider etc etc and I could keep going, just stop it with your misdirection. The example about sony showcase and some trolls mentioning woke. CONTEXT is everything, feminist have been ruining the game industry so its hard to tell what is a real effort and just pandering to woke twitter.

And by the way Jax didn't go evil tyrant what are you talking about? He just went in time to help out, but he did say he was going woke but that wasn't "going woke" that people hate. Its the one I described above.

Quote Originally Posted by Tietoso View Post
    You seem to be ignoring the fact that the head writer is a proven non kotor fan and a huge misandrist and just talking about the opinion of the use of woke.
    The going woke that people hate is the race changing for no real reason, like the lady who wanted to switch Blade from a man to a woman and is the same one that wanted to make Clark's parents black, the same type of woke crowd who ruined the Doctor Who mythos to making it that a bunch of old white dudes syphoned the restoration powers from a little black (obviously) girl ( super obvious). I could go on and on. But never mind all that and just know that we are going to get a game from a writer who clearly has an agenda and an Ax to grind which will surely be use on the game.

And to @Makabreska, Again, no gamer, no real gamer, complains of a lead female protag. Let me know the gamers that complained about the protag of Metroid prime dread, Resident Evil 3, Final Fantasy 13, Overwatch, Parasite Eve, Tomb Raider etc etc and I could keep going, just stop it with your misdirection. The example about sony showcase and some trolls mentioning woke. CONTEXT is everything, feminist have been ruining the game industry so its hard to tell what is a real effort and just pandering to woke twitter.

And by the way Jax didn't go evil tyrant what are you talking about? He just went in time to help out, but he did say he was going woke but that wasn't "going woke" that people hate. Its the one I described above.
    You seem to be confusing me with someone who is going to give a damn about what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Made by people who have only made ports, thus far. Not a single game of their own. They could have acquired some talent, and it could be fine, but I can't help but feel that we are not looking at a mere recipe for disaster, but at the Anarchist's Cookbook.

It should be noted, however, that this is not the first time Aspyr has been working with Kotor 1 and 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspyr

In 2015, Aspyr Media expanded their platform catalog again by releasing an iOS port of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic[8] and later, Bioware's classic-action RPG, Jade Empire - a title they extended to Android as well.[9] In 2015, Asyr updated Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords[10] (native widescreen resolutions up to 5K, Steam Workshop, support for controllers, 57[11] achievements, etc.) and also ported it to macOS and Linux.

So that's something, I suppose?
    Before passing judgment lets just wait and see, Obsidian was known of making games based on licensed properties of other companies and most people kind of like there product.

In the end the publisher and owner is still Disney/LucasArts and if the product does not meet the minimum amount of expectations they will take away the the rights. THe developer has a blueprint on what the basic story of the game has to be and if the game turns out shit the developer is as much to blame as Disney/LucasArts.

Having said that, you have to be really greedy and stupid to screw up KOTOR at this point. KOTOR needs to be a action RPG and Aspyr just needs to add a bit more story to the game (plus content that was cut) they should aim at a normal playthrough of hopefully 50 or so hours (original is on avg 30 hours).

It's not a sequel and one of the lead devs doesn't even like the game so I'm not optimistic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Before passing judgment lets just wait and see, Obsidian was known of making games based on licensed properties of other companies and most people kind of like there product.
    That's not really the same. Like, at all.

Obsidian made the games, themselves. Using other people's IP, yes, but they were still responsible in building the games. Aspyr, on the other hand, has not really made games at all. Just ported already 100% completed games by other people (including Obsidian), onto other platforms. A good cause, to be sure, as they were responsible for over 50% of the games on MacOS, at some point. But that's basically all they've done. That, and published some as well. I'm sure some of the games they've ported needed more work than others, but in the end, they've only really dealt with games that someone else had already finished. And when you hear this remake is being made from ground-up (whatever that means), it worries a little bit.

Now, as I previously said, there's a good chance that they will still do just fine. Maybe they've acquired some good talent? Who knows.
    Last edited by Santti; 2021-09-13 at 09:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

15+ Year Old Account
    An RPG PC game designed from the ground up for a console with the hardware of a 3 year old PC designed by a company, who's major contribution to the gaming world was a remaster of Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophesy...

I'm not hopeful.