Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mbit View Post
    failed mmo development is failed mmo development. Keep coping.
    Lol. Yes you're right, FF is the mmo that failed and had to be relaunched. I think you're the one that is learning to cope with this fact.

failed mmo development is failed mmo development. Keep coping.
    In that case FFIV was "failed MMO Development" because they had to re-launch the entire game.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread is full of so much cope, damn....

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    In that case FFIV was "failed MMO Development" because they had to re-launch the entire game.
    Of course. Didnt i say that? They both failed. The difference is ff fail is farther in the past and they are doing fine now apparently even growing while blizz is failing.
    FF is too casual/slow for me but the company is doing much better than blizz. Their fans seem to be largely fawning over them while blizz has a lot of people like me fed up with their constant fuckups.

Of course. Didnt i say that? They both failed. The difference is ff fail is farther in the past and they are doing fine now apparently even growing while blizz is failing.
    FF is too casual/slow for me but the company is doing much better than blizz. Their fans seem to be largely fawning over them while blizz has a lot of people like me fed up with their constant fuckups.
    Both of those "failures" are so far in the past now they don't mean anything. They both evolved those failed projects into something much more successful. At best, it's a wash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Without expressing any kind of opinion about what should and should not be covered here there's always been a sort of tension between the site name and the fact that for the most part it's a fan site for a single MMO.
    That's always been kind of odd.

On-topic: If they do so, it should be like the OW/HotS/HS news, where you have to click over for it (possibly include an option in the account settings for which you want the homepage to default to, if it's not already there). They should only do so, however, if they think it's worth the time and investment to set up and get people trawling for and posting newsposts related to the game; IIRC most players just go to the Lodestone or YouTubers like MrHappy, Meoni, and Speakers Network for updates.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Real question: What news of FF14 would even be there? Outside of stuff revealed at fan fests and the occasional letters from the Producer? Like there isnt any datamining nor is there the same amount of focused coverage on events/resets to FF14.

It would be like an article one every 3-4 weeks at most. There isnt any datamining in FF14. Not really any weekly changes or hotfixes.

End of the day MMO-C already struggles to keep up with the games that it covers now....adding another game is just gonna put more stress on the foundation.

There are sites that cover FFIV news already.

Both of those "failures" are so far in the past now they don't mean anything. They both evolved those failed projects into something much more successful. At best, it's a wash.
    i think it will continue to chase them and kill the chance for a new mmo for both of them - actiblizz and ff publisher are similar in other aspects too in that they released both different games with lower development cost making more money which will decrease the willingness to take a risk with another mmo. Though you got that riot studio developing Palia with lots of blizz devs which supposedly want to do something completely different than another standard mmo. So we kinda will still get a new mmo with blizz devs.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    You should look up what that word means in its native language

WoW is animated. Family guy is an anime.
    That's not really how language works. We're not speaking Japanese, we're using a term re-derived from the Japanese one, which refers specifically to the Japanese style of animation. You might as well argue that claymores, rapiers, and scimitars "are katanas", because katana is a general reference in Japanese, not the specific sort of sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuttle View Post
    It's pretty astounding that MMO-C hasn't started covering XIV or New World. Seems like a no brainer business move to me.
    I mean they have the numbers on their side to see what is and isn't popular on their site. Odds are it's not gaining enough traction to worry about. Case in point, where did the Rift news go? It's still alive and has an active albeit small player base, yet no news? They never covered wild star to my knowledge and it had way more players than Rift did, what about SWOTR?

Point is, people only want FF14 news because it's the first and only game to "rival" wow, and I use that loosely because the sh*t show at blizzard is the only reason it's gotten that far. Had the issue with Afrisabi never come to the forefront, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
    Last edited by Keristrasza; 2021-09-12 at 08:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Have you seen my posts over the past few days? You should be asking yourself why I'm alive, not why I don't have friends.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

i think it will continue to chase them and kill the chance for a new mmo for both of them - actiblizz and ff publisher are similar in other aspects too in that they released both different games with lower development cost making more money which will decrease the willingness to take a risk with another mmo. Though you got that riot studio developing Palia with lots of blizz devs which supposedly want to do something completely different than another standard mmo. So we kinda will still get a new mmo with blizz devs.
    The "failures" aren't what's keeping them from making new MMOs....it's their successes that are doing that. Why put all the time and resources into making a new MMO that's just going to end up competing with the one you already have?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm of the camp that if we borrow words we shouldn't change their meanings.

I mean you could successfully argue that.
    Thing is though...Anime is already a borrowed word. It was borrowed from the english word animation...and then borrowed back.

The "failures" aren't what's keeping them from making new MMOs....it's their successes that are doing that. Why put all the time and resources into making a new MMO that's just going to end up competing with the one you already have?
    For an extreme example i dont think eve online is competing with wow. The games are too different. I think they were going with a similar mindset at titan doing scifi as an alternative to fantasy wow. Secondary consider how you felt about ultima online - thats how the next gen of kids will feel about wow&ff. So there's definitely room to develop new games.

Yes but it still meant the same thing. They didnt change the meaning of the word
    Well, we wouldn't need to borrow the word "anime" back if we didn't change the meaning to refer specifically to japanese animation. We already have a word for animation in general.

Except they didn't both fail. Titan has nothing to do with WoW. At all. FF failed and had to shut down and relaunch. WoW has not shut down. Stop trying to promote a false narrative. It is embarrassing.

I'm of the camp that if we borrow words we shouldn't change their meanings. Language works however we want it to really.

I mean you could successfully argue that.
    That is quite literally impossible since the meaning of any given word is partially derived from its cultural context and you're going to have a different cultural context than whatever language you're borrowing from. Also, there wouldn't be a borrowing of "anime" if it had a general meaning, it would be pointless because we already have words for animation or cartoons, it only has a function because it is being used as a specialized meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Keristrasza View Post
    I mean they have the numbers on their side to see what is and isn't popular on their site. Odds are it's not gaining enough traction to worry about. Case in point, where did the Rift news go? It's still alive and has an active albeit small player base, yet no news? They never covered wild star to my knowledge and it had way more players than Rift did, what about SWOTR?

Point is, people only want FF14 news because it's the first and only game to "rival" wow, and I use that loosely because the sh*t show at blizzard is the only reason it's gotten that far. Had the issue with Afrisabi never come to the forefront, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
    I mean, we also have the numbers.

FFXIV's subforum on MMO-C has fewer viewers than the druid specific subforum.

It's not impossible? We do it in english all the time.

I mean we dont do the same for any other countries animation? We could just admit they came up with a better word for it, and use it.

Anyway king of the hill is my favourite american anime.
    No, we don't. We use words to similarly, not the same.

They didn't come up with a better word for it, they have a word we attribute to the specific unique visual style of the thing that comes from that country.

I dont think we needed to borrow the word in the first place. You're right we already have a word for it.
    Well, you can argue that we shouldn't have changed the meaning of the word...but it's kind of pointless to do so because we already did.

I don't wanna be all "Urgh FF is too weeb for me" But I like legit just don't like the artstyle? And yeh, it kinda correlates to the specific aesthetics eastern MMO's seem to rely on.

A bummer tho, because the designs themselves are great, but the artstyle just doesn't do it for me.

Also I just can't with elezen proportions.

If I say king of the hill is a great american anime, you would understand what I meant. Most people would, some people might get a little confused, but theyd understand that I think king of the hill is a good cartoon.
    If you say that King of the Hill is a "great american anime" what you are actually saying "King of the Hill is a Great American Japansese Animation".

You might as well refer to a knife as a spoon because they are both silverware.