Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What new Profession in 10.0 would you like to see

Its about time we have a new profession in the game. Its been what, 4-5 expansions without the game getting a new profession?

What types of new professions could we see? If they introduce player housing to the game, maybe a carpentry profession, which you would need mats from that profession to build up your houses. Or maybe a wood cutting profession. A diplomacy profession would be cool that could give you reputation advantages and such, with certain factions.

Lets try to think outside the box as a community and come up with some cool new profession ideas!

i'd rather they fix the shit professions that are currently in the game before adding more considering the last 2 they added are all but dead

Quote Originally Posted by Djanco View Post
    i'd rather they fix the shit professions that are currently in the game before adding more considering the last 2 they added are all but dead
    Well one could argue that professions are in the best place they have ever been in, besides Legion being the top profession expansion. What "fixes" should they do to the professions?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djanco View Post
    This. I very much preferred when you could make somewhat BiS weapons with Blacksmithing, that took time to get the rep to learn, and time to get the mats for. Or sockets on wrists, for example. Maxing out professions is easy and making your own enchants/flasks/missives is piss. The only thing that takes a lot of time or gold is making rank 4 legendary items.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalocy Jim View Post
    Well one could argue that professions are in the best place they have ever been in, besides Legion being the top profession expansion. What "fixes" should they do to the professions?
    I'd like to hear that argument. Look at my above reply as to what I miss about professions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    This. I very much preferred when you could make somewhat BiS weapons with Blacksmithing, that took time to get the rep to learn, and time to get the mats for. Or sockets on wrists, for example. Maxing out professions is easy and making your own enchants/flasks /missives is piss. The only thing that takes a lot of time or gold is making rank 4 legendary items.
    Well the rank 4 legendary items are akin to a bis weapon from TBC or Cata. But I do agree, it would be cool to see a hard to obtain / craft BIS or BIS equivalent weapon from crafting. I think the rank 3 stormhearld mace from TBC required mats from SSC / TK and BT / Hyjal. So that would be cool to do something similar.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well the rank 4 legendary items are akin to a bis weapon from TBC or Cata. But I do agree, it would be cool to see a hard to obtain / craft BIS or BIS equivalent weapon from crafting. I think the rank 3 stormhearld mace from TBC required mats from SSC / TK and BT / Hyjal. So that would be cool to do something similar.
    I agree, something similar would be fun. I don't expect to be able to craft the best weapons in the game without having to put a lot of effort into getting it, but back in TBC when you finally made that rank 3 weapon, it felt like an accomplishment (to me at least). As long as there are options for both people who raid end game, and maybe a little less powerful stuff for people who don't, I can see it being a good thing to add back to the game.

i feel like this is really obvious, but for starters they could make crafted items like the engineer helm and alchemy stone actually relevant every tier like they were last expansion? and how about making professions that arent alchemy and engineering actually have utility? everything should have some kind of benefit or none of them should. jewelcrafting, inscription and enchanting are worthless right now. everything these professions craft can be easily bought for a handful of gold. there is literally no incentive to learn any of them. why does engineering offer all the utility and craft no useful items but every other profession is directly opposite of this? the only saving grace of engineering is the battle res. if not for it, this profession would be borderline not worth taking. getting a new portal and access to a new auction house every expac are nice perks, but that's all it has going for it and i really dont feel like the utility engineering offers makes up for how completely worthless everything else it can do is. in fact, most of the benefits from being an engineer is having access to stuff they added in 2009 that u also have to pay out the ass for to level up to use. engineering is the only profession like this. archaeology is totally dead and they removed first aid from the game because "nobody used it" but that could have been fixed by simply introducing new ranks of health pots and bandages every patch or so instead of just removing it.

something i'd personally like to see is the removal of all gathering professions and just letting u be able to gather materials associated with a crafting profession. it's absolutely ridiculous that skinning and leatherworking are still 2 separate professions while tailors and enchanters can generate/loot their own materials.
    Last edited by Djanco; 2021-09-13 at 02:38 AM.

Eh, professions are fine and all but a new class would be better, at this point i dont even care if it was a reskin version of other classes with different spell effects. xD honestly i'd take up all the tinker and necromancer wishboys hype if it meant we got to play something new.

eh? Legion was a pile of hot garbage for professions... Legion made me stop caring at all about professions and I haven't recovered since. Obnoxious quests to learn new professions, a dumb rank system... it was not a good time for me at all.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuroticaine View Post
    eh? Legion was a pile of hot garbage for professions... Legion made me stop caring at all about professions and I haven't recovered since. Obnoxious quests to learn new professions, a dumb rank system... it was not a good time for me at all.
    I actually enjoyed the quests and ranking up my skills. I liked that mining had different variants of ore like from killing mobs, deposits and seams. I think professions are very boring currently.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

I agree, something similar would be fun. I don't expect to be able to craft the best weapons in the game without having to put a lot of effort into getting it, but back in TBC when you finally made that rank 3 weapon, it felt like an accomplishment (to me at least). As long as there are options for both people who raid end game, and maybe a little less powerful stuff for people who don't, I can see it being a good thing to add back to the game.
    What made the TBC crafting really cool was it still required you to be raiding to get the unique raid mats to make the gear. Maybe LFR just gives a very small amount of mats to craft the item, so it takes longer to acquire compared to ppl who are mythic raiding.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    I actually enjoyed the quests and ranking up my skills. I liked that mining had different variants of ore like from killing mobs, deposits and seams. I think professions are very boring currently.
    I agree with you. The quests to make your ability to craft better was immersive. Its logical that in order to learn some new tricks to be more efficient in your profession, you have to do some quests or semi hard things. It really breathed needed life into professions during Legion. Its too bad they went away from that model.

15+ Year Old Account
    What made the TBC crafting really cool was it still required you to be raiding to get the unique raid mats to make the gear. Maybe LFR just gives a very small amount of mats to craft the item, so it takes longer to acquire compared to ppl who are mythic raiding.
    I definitely wouldn't mind that, I think that's actually a pretty good compromise. The only thing I can think might irk some people is that if you only PvP (as an example) and one of the BiS weapons comes from a profession, you'd be forced to do any sort of raiding in order to make it. But I'm sure they could implement other ways to get said mats other than solely raiding. Interested to hear other peoples ideas too.

only time professions were good/meaningful was in WoD. Being able to wear 3 pieces of heroic quality gear with the stats you wanted was the only time they've been relevant.

Outside of that the only 'relevant' situations have been (mandatory) stat gains, or engineering battle rez.

Nothing in this game needs to be locked behind raiding. Maybe some lenience can be made if they remove factions and lockouts for all content. Tier sets / azerite armor / dom sockets / etc are just useless power gates that impede gear progression.
    Last edited by Tehalbino; 2021-09-13 at 02:48 AM.

I definitely wouldn't mind that, I think that's actually a pretty good compromise. The only thing I can think might irk some people is that if you only PvP (as an example) and one of the BiS weapons comes from a profession, you'd be forced to do any sort of raiding in order to make it. But I'm sure they could implement other ways to get said mats other than solely raiding. Interested to hear other peoples ideas too.
    Well, PvP should also have a way to acquire a BIS or near BIS weapon as well. Maybe not to craft, but like the elite gear should have a weapon that closely matches the power of a raid weapon, or in the case of our discussion a crafted weapon. That way, PvPers could acquire a weapon of similar strength. If they want to craft a weapon, i think lorewise, it makes sense to gather some of the mats from raid zones.

100 percent should not add another profession, just like they should not add any more classes.

Make the stuff people have spent a dozen years of their life with better.

I do agree that professions, start to finish (not just shadowlands) have never been better than they are today, but step 1 is returning all the nonsense they removed from them over the years.

Its actually staggering how many patterns there are from the various expansions that are not in the game right now, and that needs to change.

Do that, and fix the relic of the pasts to actually work with every item, and then we can worry about another profession.

But even then, no clue how they could considering it would only have patterns relevant to 10.0.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

revamp the entire system, and add woodworking that makes furniture for a new player housing system... that would be my dream
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

players would go berserk if they were forced to do an old raid for mats...even if it was just lfr,it worked in tbc because you could always justify going back a tier,these days,once a new raid is out the old one is dead,unless there is something extremly strong like lei shen trinket was in mop

I'd like to at least make professions worth something other than an AH gold machine.

I haven't bothered with any profession since WotLK and unironically felt like I haven't missed a damn thing.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    players would go berserk if they were forced to do an old raid for mats...even if it was just lfr,it worked in tbc because you could always justify going back a tier,these days,once a new raid is out the old one is dead,unless there is something extremly strong like lei shen trinket was in mop
    Forced? Crafting is optional. I didn't say it would be the absolute BIS. I said NEAR BIS. Also, it would be a good system for people who are actually playing the game and doing the raids as they come out. No need to add catch-up mechanics to crafting just to make some people feel good, of justified to not go back and do the actual content to earn the mats.

I agree with you. The quests to make your ability to craft better was immersive. Its logical that in order to learn some new tricks to be more efficient in your profession, you have to do some quests or semi hard things. It really breathed needed life into professions during Legion. Its too bad they went away from that model.
    "Immersive" does not inherently mean good. And I fail to see how any of Legion's profession design was immersive at all. It was dreadful and boring and a waste of time I could be spent doing a magnitude of other things. I guess if you REALLY want to identify as a Tailor, and that's it, sure, why not. Find a random NPC off in the middle of nowhere to teach you how to make some pants. And a completely different one to teach you how to make a shirt. But I really do not understand why that is something you would come to World of Warcraft for. To each their own, though.