Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Thinking about trying to build a PC, leaning towards a 3080 ti, any help appreciated!

My current PC is about on its last legs anyways, and since I'm planning to start streaming and video-editing, it feels like the 3080 ti might be a worthwhile upgrade.

First off, what would constitute a "reasonable" price for GPU's right now? I'm not dead-set on the 3080 ti by any means.

I also plan to use air-cooling, and will probably go with the Fractal Torrent case (assuming it isn't also price-hiked). For the CPU, last I had heard (maybe Feb?) was that Ryzen was way more bang-for-your-buck than any of the Intels, but I could be mistaken.

Beyond that, I would like to aim for 2 SSD's; one solely for Windows, and another for gaming/streaming/video editing. At least, that FEELS like it would make the most sense?

As far as "budget" goes, I'm treating this more as an investment in being able to do some side-work, so I'm really more interested in "how much a good machine will cost" than "staying under a set number". With GPU prices as they are, I can't even imagine but a budget SHOULD look like, anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    My current PC is about on its last legs anyways, and since I'm planning to start streaming and video-editing, it feels like the 3080 ti might be a worthwhile upgrade.

First off, what would constitute a "reasonable" price for GPU's right now? I'm not dead-set on the 3080 ti by any means.
    There are no reasonable prices for GPUs right now. There's "how much are you willing to pay"? Thats the only relevant metric.

I also plan to use air-cooling, and will probably go with the Fractal Torrent case (assuming it isn't also price-hiked). For the CPU, last I had heard (maybe Feb?) was that Ryzen was way more bang-for-your-buck than any of the Intels, but I could be mistaken.

Beyond that, I would like to aim for 2 SSD's; one solely for Windows, and another for gaming/streaming/video editing. At least, that FEELS like it would make the most sense?

As far as "budget" goes, I'm treating this more as an investment in being able to do some side-work, so I'm really more interested in "how much a good machine will cost" than "staying under a set number". With GPU prices as they are, I can't even imagine but a budget SHOULD look like, anyways.
    You can get a very powerful system sans the GPU for basically MSRP.

The GPU is what will screw you.

How high-end do you want to go on editing? (That is quite a bit more CPU heavy than GPU heavy unless you're doing 3D rendering).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    There are no reasonable prices for GPUs right now. There's "how much are you willing to pay"? Thats the only relevant metric.
    And even if you could get a GPU for MSRP, I'm not sure a 3080ti would fall under "reasonable" for most people

10+ Year Old Account
    I paid only ~2k USD for 3080Ti locally and it was a bargain.

The GPU situation will persist for another half a year to a year at least from what I hear.

nVidia is reportedly putting 2060s back into production again because that node isn't booked solid. This time with 12GB VRAM, to try to shore up SOME availability.

Just keep in mind with any TI GPU, that you pay a hefty premium for a very small performance gain. Price/performance wise they are terrible deals.
    Tbh, the cheapest way to go about it would be to buy a pre-built with a solid gpu and cpu, and then strip the usable parts from that machine and build the one you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    nVidia is reportedly putting 2060s back into production again because that node isn't booked solid. This time with 12GB VRAM, to try to shore up SOME availability.
    Those will just be bought up by bots and scalped as well lol
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    You'd rather they didn't at least try to help with the shortage?

10+ Year Old Account
    So what, more GPUs = good. Period.

2060 is ok mainstream GPU, it will help to have these around, even if they too will be sold at higher prices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    You'd rather they didn't at least try to help with the shortage?
    It won't be helping, there needs to be another solution. Most likely tied to identification and limits on how much one consumer can purchase. Otherwise it's just more money for scalpers.

Regardless, it doesn't bother me too much. I have my bot set up so I have been able to get my 30xx cards at MSRP and I'll do the same for the 40xx series. Just pointing out that until law catches up (which will take years), it is indeed pointless since these will be almost as expensive as the 30xx cards within a few hours after they are bought up and relisted.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    It won't be helping,
    Ah yes, more stock won't help solving the problem of too little stock..

10+ Year Old Account
    Just one bit of advice. Get at least 850w power supply. I had a really good Seasonic Prime Titanium 750w PSU, but it could not handle 3080Ti. The version I got is decently factory overclocked (1770Mhz) and has 3x power inputs. With 750w power supply I had some edge cases where PC would shut down. It was somewhat rare, but happened. Got 1kw PSU, that fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Just one bit of advice. Get at least 850w power supply. I had a really good Seasonic Prime Titanium 750w PSU, but it could not handle 3080Ti. The version I got is decently factory overclocked (1770Mhz) and has 3x power inputs. With 750w power supply I had some edge cases where PC would shut down. It was somewhat rare, but happened. Got 1kw PSU, that fixed it.
    What the fuck is the rest of your system?

10+ Year Old Account
    This does not matter, I am telling you my personal experience with my personal Gigabyte 3080Ti Master. The moment that 3080Ti flavor has 3x PCIE power inputs - you can bet your sweet ass 750w won't fly anymore.

And yes, naturally if I have factory OC 3080Ti, I don't run it with some i3 dogshit rig or some such. In the end powerful systems nowadays need a tad more than just 750w.

Now this 750w is almost enough, seeing I had that issue only in very edge cases. But if someone wants to build a new rig, I think it's a good tip to at least bring 850w PSU, just to not be disappointed, especially seeing the rumors that next gen will be even more power hungry - a trend I don't expect to change.

- - - Updated - - -

Now sure if you have some derp coming up with top crop 3080Ti and underpowered dogshit everything else - 750w would be fine. But that's just a dumbass way to build really.

Peak power of the 30 series is nuts. There are multiple reports on them triggering PSU over current protections on what would be considered a sensible PSU(750W) for it's TDP.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you care about price to performance then a 3080ti isn't a wise choice

Happy i got my 3070ti for 600 bucks a couple of months ago, GPU prices are nuts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Peak power of the 30 series is nuts. There are multiple reports on them triggering PSU over current protections on what would be considered a sensible PSU(750W) for it's TDP.
    Yep, seen exactly that with my own eyes. PC simply shuts off immediately. It is rare, but happened to me. Never was the case with same system but 1080Ti.

1kw PSU handled it fine, so like really my recommendation is 850w at least for that thing just so you have tiny bit more headroom... or 1kw all the way, because I hear next gen going to be even crazier.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Just keep in mind with any TI GPU, that you pay a hefty premium for a very small performance gain. Price/performance wise they are terrible deals.
    Tbh, the cheapest way to go about it would be to buy a pre-built with a solid gpu and cpu, and then strip the usable parts from that machine and build the one you want.
    I totally agree with you that the 3080ti is a very small performance gain over the 3080 but I am building a system with a 3080 right now that is replacing my old system with a 980ti. The 980ti was a big jump over the 980 and it still runs pretty much anything I want to run but with gaming computer bans starting in my state and Windows 11 requiring newer system to run new security I felt the need to upgrade. I also agree that using a premade like one from Newegg is a good idea although painful to do considering the total cost will still be ridiculous over what we used to need to build a system just 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I paid only ~2k USD for 3080Ti locally and it was a bargain.
    $2000 for a GPU a bargain? I guess if you make $3000+ week it could be considered one?
    People paying that much to scalpers for GPUs are also another reason why we're in this GPU "crisis". It enables these people who use bots to keep buying up GPUs to make massive amounts of money and the cycle will continue.
    Last edited by Rolow; 2021-09-20 at 01:54 AM.