Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    This is mildly amusing. The current requirements are because of a pandemic that’s likely to become endemic. If there was a big outbreak of measles I’d agree. But since measles isn’t killing people by the thousands daily…
    Only because most folks get it, should the day come that changes it could resurge, better to include all vaccines in such requirements imo.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    as a Vet we basically are told that and ordered to get vaccines already, ordering COVID is no different. Anthrax was highly controversial at the time but we were forced to get it rather we wanted to or not if we were going to area where it was threat (also the most painful shot I've ever got X.X) We also lose some rights, namely we have to watch we say on or off duty, in or out of uniform.
    Yeah...when I worked for a couple weeks at a military base I recall a one-way conversation I had with the boss who instructed me to keep my mouth shut regarding politics. He mentioned as well that the serviceman who was shooting his mouth off claiming "free speech" was about to find out how wrong he was and that military law was significantly different from civil law. ("Once he signs that contract he becomes an asset, an investment...) My boss held the rank of Lt Colonel so I took him at his word.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Alright, R number went down, great victory - time to do a huge youth festival and a huge religious gathering... owait R number spiking, how could it be, I thought we won...
    Sounds like the US too. In the US, Mu is just biding its time playing second fiddle to Delta. Phaelix is mostly correct - Delta has defeated Mu. But Mu is not completely dead, and once humans defeat Delta, we'll party likes its Virus Days OVER.

And then I think there is a good chance that we'll take Mu out for a test drive. Delta will be weakened at that time due to so many people being vaccinated either by shot, or by having gotten the virus. But Mu (or a variant of Mu) will be alone in being able to bypass all of this.

Now it is becoming clear why these kinds of viruses take 3 years to defeat. It takes that long for enough of the anti-vax I REFUSE TO SOCIAL DISTANCE I HAVE MY MENTAL HEALTH TO DEAL WITH people to get the vaccine and start social distancing. At that point, whatever is after Mu will get defeated by not having enough target humans to infect, at the cost of much different rules for partying and public events.

Take care of yourself and your family as best you can. Find some way to not get too depressed over the way things are going.

Edit: For the record, I hope that Phaellix is correct and that Delta defeats Mu, humans defeat Delta, and the virus is part of history. I just don't think we'll maintain social distancing long enough to make his forecast correct.
    Last edited by Omega10; 2021-09-12 at 04:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Sounds like the US too. In the US, Mu is just biding its time playing second fiddle to Delta. Phaelix is mostly correct - Delta has defeated Mu. But Mu is not completely dead, and once humans defeat Delta, we'll party likes its Virus Days OVER.
    Again, no.

Delta isn't going to be "defeated" by humans. The only thing that could defeat delta is an even more competitive variant. And that's demonstrably not mu or lambda or anything we're tracking so far.

I don't know where you get this weird idea that a single variant can be "defeated" by humans. If mu still exists, then delta perforce must still exist, too, because delta is more competitive than mu.

And then I think there is a good chance that we'll take Mu out for a test drive. Delta will be weakened at that time due to so many people being vaccinated either by shot, or by having gotten the virus. But Mu (or a variant of Mu) will be alone in being able to bypass all of this.
    Just no.

Mu isn't going to just bypass the vaccine completely, and even if it could, it would be ripping through the vaccinated population already.

Edit: For the record, I hope that Phaellix is correct and that Delta defeats Mu, humans defeat Delta, and the virus is part of history. I just don't think we'll maintain social distancing long enough to make his forecast correct.
    Ultimately, it's not going to matter; this virus will eventually move on from the pandemic phase to become endemic regardless. Vaccinations, of course, will help greatly reduce the number of deaths still to be faced. Social distancing will help less than increased vaccination, but will still help keep the health care industry from being overwhelmed.

But even if we didn't vaccinate another person, even if we didn't social distance, this would still become endemic; it would just hurt a lot more.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    This is mildly amusing. The current requirements are because of a pandemic that’s likely to become endemic. If there was a big outbreak of measles I’d agree. But since measles isn’t killing people by the thousands daily…
    Well, in related news there was a minor outbreak of measles and now vaccination is required for some traveling to the US:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...cases-n1278953

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Alright, R number went down, great victory - time to do a huge youth festival and a huge religious gathering... owait R number spiking, how could it be, I thought we won...
    Video from Bottlerock last weekend. Forty thousand attendees over 3 days. 96% fully vaccinated and 4% negative. No masks in sight. Lots of boobs flashing. Especially during Miley Cyrus performance. My wife, who was on my shoulders, had her hands over my eyes pretty much over the entire performance. My wife was bouncing when they let her in the first day. She was not bouncing by the third day.

Anyway, one week in from labor day, cases and hospitalizations in San Francisco are still dropping rapidly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    For the US, it's 73% of 12+, which is all that's approved. So yeah, it's not as high as 50%, though it's still way, way too high.
    I mean, this is twisting the numbers.

The figures from other nations include the unvaccinated children too. The USA really is that far behind on vaccination; it isn't an unfair comparison.

Like, here's Canada's official figures; https://health-infobase.canada.ca/co...tion-coverage/

73.77% general pop (same as the figures there), but 84.13% for ages 12 and up. That's for single-dose coverage. We're still pushing second doses, but we're at 68% fully vaccinated (77.5% 12+)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I mean, this is twisting the numbers.
    No, it's not. Try reading the rest of the conversation. The point that I was rebutting was the idea that 50% of the US was anti-vax. That's objectively wrong, as 75% of adults have received at least one dose.

The response had nothing to do with comparisons to other countries, hence the reference to the 50% in the last quote.

The exchange:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    There is a nearly 50% chunk of the population that is anti-vaxxer in the USA...
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    And for people in the Americas the number who have received at least one shot are in order: Uruguay (77%), Chile (75%), Canada (74%), Brazil (65.7%), Panama (64.7%), Argentina (62.6%), US (61.9%), ...
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    For the US, it's 73% of 12+, which is all that's approved. So yeah, it's not as high as 50%, though it's still way, way too high.
    You'll note that I didn't say anything about comparisons to other countries; I specified exactly what the count was, and then linked it back to the 50%.

Don't go reading things into it that aren't there.
    Last edited by PhaelixWW; 2021-09-12 at 09:40 PM.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Netherlands going full idiot mode once again. Rising numbers, but almost all checks in place are loosened. im sick of that countries goverment

Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    Netherlands going full idiot mode once again. Rising numbers, but almost all checks in place are loosened. im sick of that countries goverment
    we got a 1000 people dying a week and that seems to have become acceptable in the UK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Only 2k cases and 1 death today(12 sept).

Study finds vaccinated people who are infected with COVID-19 and get a so-called breakthrough case that leads to severe illness are more likely to be older and have preexisting health.

Chun and his Yale colleagues identified 969 patient who were admitted to hospitals in the Yale New Haven Health System and who tested positive for COVID across a 14-day period from March 23 to July 1, according to commentary posted on the Lancet Infectious Disease website on Sept. 7. All patients were required to get tested when they were admitted and may have come to the hospital for illness other than COVID.

Roughly 18% of the patients who tested positive received at least one vaccine dose and a third of these were fully vaccinated, records showed.

The team focused on those fully vaccinated people and found a quarter of them (14 people) had severe or critical disease and required supplementary oxygen support. Four were in the intensive care unit, one on a mechanical ventilator and three died.

The patients with severe disease ranged in age from 65 to 95 years old and had a median age of 80.5, the researchers said. They had preexisting comorbidities including cardiovascular disease, lung disease, obesity and Type 2 diabetes. Some patients were on immunosuppressive drugs that may impact vaccine efficacy.

In line with all the other data sets that we have seen before. Still bear repeating.

I've seen talk that given Delta is just that much more transmissible, it is going to take a 90% vaccination rate to combat, not 80%. 80% would have worked for older strains, but not Delta. So thanks for that anti-vaxxers, you've made it just that much harder for the rest of us. Again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    I've seen talk that given Delta is just that much more transmissible, it is going to take a 90% vaccination rate to combat, not 80%. 80% would have worked for older strains, but not Delta. So thanks for that anti-vaxxers, you've made it just that much harder for the rest of us. Again.
    You're talking about the herd immunity threshold, but that's been somewhat unimportant for a while. Even 80% was relatively unattainable.

But the herd immunity threshold is only important if the goal is to try and block transmission completely, like with measles. That ship has sailed, so instead we'll expect the virus to become endemic once it's no longer novel, meaning that everyone's immune system has been exposed to either the virus or the vaccine.

Which isn't to say that anti-vaxxers aren't still making things worse for everyone.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    The anti Vaxers know no bounds...

Literally there is so much about this video that infuriates me... first these parents come to this meeting to 'let out kids smile' all the while mocking this kid who opens his heart up about his first hand experience of COVID and the death of his grandmother to it while being heckled and booed. These parents, don;t pretend you are there for the kids, you are there for yourselves you selfish cunts, if you cared one bit about the kids you would have taken some sympathy towards this child who you booed for losing their mother.

Also I heard the women behind him who heckled him got doxxed and lost her job... GOOD. I have no patience for these people anymore.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    snip.
    those 'protesters' are just random cunts who turned up not even parents right? like Qanon people, CRT people etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    those 'protesters' are just random cunts who turned up not even parents right? like Qanon people, CRT people etc.
    I hope you are right and for the childs sake they don't have kids then lol
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Yeah, I had heard about that yesterday I believe... It blows my mind how callous some people can be.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Yeah, I had heard about that yesterday I believe... It blows my mind how callous some people can be.
    I'm starting to wonder if the way republican states/counties are handling this is more a "we didn't kill off enough of those minorities with this last year"...so lets just not do anything and maybe we'll get more of them this time around!!!!

loosened? they are jumping on the prove you are vaccinated to get into anything bandwagon. sure they want to get rid of 1.5 meter rule but when was the last time you saw someone follow that one? my local supermarket stopped enforcing carts a while a go and now they also removed the keep distance markers on the floor.