Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Your most Hated M+ Affix combos?

M+ players have their opinions on what are the worst M+ affixes and the worst/scariest combinations of those affixes.

Not going into what the general consensus is of the absolute worst possible combination is (because everybody isn't the top 5% M+ players in the world and we all have different opinions) but what are your most hated combinations of affixes for M+?

To start off: I absolute hate any week that pairs off Tyrannical with Bolstering... like this week. Now that I'm in the +20 through +22 range I can definitely see the difference in time spent killing trash packs in Fortified weeks and bosses in Tyrannical weeks. That distinction becomes very clear. The fact that a "boss week" is up and strategies for bigger pulls of trash packs become available, all of a sudden you can't just funnel damage and kill ASAP. Now more time needs to be taken to ensure certain mobs don't become too bolstered, and the higher key you go the more HP enemies overall have, that extra minute or so could be end up doing you in at the end.

And this is my personal take. It's not because I think it's too hard to do; it's too annoying to worry about. I strongly dislike this combo. Actually, hate it.

To me, Bolstering on a Tyrannical week usually is a hard pass for me.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    M+ players have their opinions on what are the worst M+ affixes and the worst/scariest combinations of those affixes.

Not going into what the general consensus is of the absolute worst possible combination is (because everybody isn't the top 5% M+ players in the world and we all have different opinions) but what are your most hated combinations of affixes for M+?

To start off: I absolute hate any week that pairs off Tyrannical with Bolstering... like this week. Now that I'm in the +20 through +22 range I can definitely see the difference in time spent killing trash packs in Fortified weeks and bosses in Tyrannical weeks. That distinction becomes very clear. The fact that a "boss week" is up and strategies for bigger pulls of trash packs become available, all of a sudden you can't just funnel damage and kill ASAP. Now more time needs to be taken to ensure certain mobs don't become too bolstered, and the higher key you go the more HP enemies overall have, that extra minute or so could be end up doing you in at the end.

And this is my personal take. It's not because I think it's too hard to do; it's too annoying to worry about. I strongly dislike this combo. Actually, hate it.

To me, Bolstering on a Tyrannical week usually is a hard pass for me.
    As a holy Priest pushing for KSM (at 1956 currently), I've found the last week (necrotic/sanguine) the hardest so far this season. Maybe there is some trick I'm missing but I can't find a good way to deal with 30-40 Necrotic stacks and am literally pumping all cooldowns a lot just to keep a tank at 25% health. 30k serenity crits giving like 2k healing. Tanks don't seem to enjoy it much either.

Also, and not so much the actual healing, but getting into groups. Because it seems most groups look at https://mplus.subcreation.net/ and see that HP is the lowest rated healer for this affix combo. So I've found it hard just to get into PUGs. Hope to get over the 2k mark next week.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickb View Post
    As a holy Priest pushing for KSM (at 1956 currently), I've found the last week (necrotic/sanguine) the hardest so far this season. Maybe there is some trick I'm missing but I can't find a good way to deal with 30-40 Necrotic stacks and am literally pumping all cooldowns a lot just to keep a tank at 25% health. 30k serenity crits giving like 2k healing. Tanks don't seem to enjoy it much either.
    In more open dungeons like HoA, you can help out with LoFing the tank out of melee range.
    There's also Shining Force/Psychic scream to clear some of the load, but SF can be very very risky and PS is better utilized as a quasi-interrupt or defensive cooldown.

Other than that, all we can really do is pop fairy guardians (if NF) and hope the tank knows how to kite.
    It's not our job to deal with that anyway.

OT:
    Fortified + anything really.
    I just really hate fortified.

I wish they'd just remove Fort/Tyrannical and just rework dungeon scaling a little, or replace those with something else.
    Last edited by Raetary; 2021-09-14 at 07:29 PM.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account

Also, and not so much the actual healing, but getting into groups. Because it seems most groups look at https://mplus.subcreation.net/ and see that HP is the lowest rated healer for this affix combo. So I've found it hard just to get into PUGs. Hope to get over the 2k mark next week.

There's really nothing you can do with Necrotic stacks that high... depending on class/spec of course. I'm Holy Paladin and I feel you about last week; luckily the tank I ran with had a WA that tells him when I BoP him (removes Necrotic stacks but drops aggro table) so when he got around 35-40 stacks I would BoP him and he would instantly click it off.

Different tanks have ways to remove stacks too. But no matter what, Necrotic sucks for healers when you have tanks who don't manage them well.

Necrotic+Bolstering+Tyranical is plain evilness. I might be confusing and its Fortified instead but thats just about as awful.

I hate necrotic on its own with a passion, i hate kiting as tank and i hate not being able to help as healer. Bolstering heavily discourages big pulls and pulling off a tough big pull and being ahead on the timer, especially with a pug, is a big part of the fun of m+.

So you can't do big pulls, and healing and tanking just feel plain neutered. Easily the worst week.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a healer who does a lot of PuGing, the hardest for me on its own is grievous. It's one of those affixes that can be totally fine in some runs but an absolute nightmare in others depending on where you are the quality of your team. When you pair it with Spiteful where I have to fucking be kiting instead of standing still and healing, it is pretty miserable. It's also pretty much impossible to drink on Spiteful weeks! Spiteful on it's own is pretty much a nonaffix outside of specific scenarios but I really loathe the spiteful/grievous week this season.

The most annoying overall, regardless of role, and regardless what it is paired with is Bolstering. I'm not sure if pairing it with Fortified (trash is beyond miserable) or Tyrannical (everything is slow) is worse, though. At least both third affixes paired with bolstering this season (quaking and explosive) are pretty easy ones so... it has that going for it?

Maybe there is some trick I'm missing but I can't find a good way to deal with 30-40 Necrotic stacks and am literally pumping all cooldowns a lot just to keep a tank at 25% health.
    What you're missing is better tanks. Once necrotic gets to that point, it's pretty much on the tanks to kite because you can't do shit. This isn't a problem with you or your class.

Quote Originally Posted by Amariw View Post
    Necrotic+Bolstering+Tyranical is plain evilness. I might be confusing and its Fortified instead but thats just about as awful.

I hate necrotic on its own with a passion, i hate kiting as tank and i hate not being able to help as healer. Bolstering heavily discourages big pulls and pulling off a tough big pull and being ahead on the timer, especially with a pug, is a big part of the fun of m+.

So you can't do big pulls, and healing and tanking just feel plain neutered. Easily the worst week.
    That affix combo doesn't currently exist in season 2. Bolstering appears once with Fort and once with Tyrannical but it's not paired with Necrotic anymore.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2021-09-15 at 12:13 AM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

It isnt your job to manage 40 necrotic stacks, no healer can effectively heal with that, though holy palas can cleanse it. The tank has to cleanse himself or most commonly and simply, kite. And yes, its annoying

The last week with fort necro and guine is probably the worst. Just a miserably unfun combination to play.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe there is some trick I'm missing but I can't find a good way to deal with 30-40 Necrotic stacks and am literally pumping all cooldowns a lot just to keep a tank at 25% health.
    Kyrian Phials... And if the tank isn't kyrian, a non-tank kyrian with kleia soulbind and Hope Springs Eternal conduit (replicates the effect of phial on your lowest HP ally in a party).

But honestly, the others are correct. It's a tanking issue more than a healer one.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

these last 2 weeks are the worst and they're back to back which makes it triple worst

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the worst one universally would just be necrotic paired with fortified. It's just awful, and there's loads of mobs this expansion that are immune to snares or otherwise jump around like someone looking to get a fix of meth. In past expansions I don't think necrotic was ever paired with fortified (and for good reason), but at the same time they've been a lot better about removing adds from bosses applying necrotic.

The thing is necrotic isn't necessarily a bad affix in a world where you can swap covenants. Unfortunately you can't until 9.1.5. Once that becomes available you will have so many options as a tank even if that covenant isn't something you typically run.

Ultimately Blizzard should probably design M+ to be something where people don't take weeks off, or decide it's too annoying to play like they normally do on particular weeks. I think it's okay to have some slight difficulty differences between affixes, but last week was a week where pretty much everybody I know just didn't feel like doing keys. You just waste an enormous amount of time kiting, some keys are strictly off limits, and it further shoots you down the rabbit hole of looking for meta comps.

Explosive + anything else kills it for me, my class spec just has nothing useful to go after them with.
    Quaking + anything else makes it miserable.

Everything else is mostly fine.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bolstering, necrotic and bursting are by far and away the worst three. The only way to tackle dungeons at the higher levels is to plow multiple packs together and any one of those affixes makes it a much more difficult and annoying endeavor.

Not a fan of spiteful or explosive, since those affixes can either be very annoying or trivial depending on your comp.

Sanguine, quaking, inspiring, volcanic and storming are all basically free affixes 90% of the time.

Spiteful

It's totally anti-rogue affix. You cannot restealth and most of the time you have to run away from the melee. Hate it.

Fortified+raging. The last fortified+raging+explosive week was brutal (I recall leaving groups after 1 minute because I was already sure the group wouldn't deal with those affixes efficiently). I don't care about the vast majority of the affixes though, they are pretty unimpactful for my weeklies +15.

5+ Year Old Account
    Grievous + Bursting, from a mostly healer PoV. @#$& can hit the fan pretty fast, especially on mid tier keys (which are usually harder than high ones lol).
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

As a player that just plays for fun here and there and has done a few 14-17 each week on different chars this week's combo has been the worse from an enjoyability standpoint.

I'm not trying to push ksm or anything just playing whatever keys I have with friends and it's been hard to find people to do it with as they all hate it so I'm just glad it's a new week now and I can do some runs again

I just hate bolstering, explosive, storming and sanguine.

As a tank bolstering + tyrannical is up there, not only does the trash suck if not killed properly (LOL pug groups) but the bosses suck too. Necrotic is annoying but as a prot pally I have the tools to deal with it, but bolstering I can only control to a limited fashion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Last week was brutal. Fortified + Necrotic is always brutal unless you've got a really good tank and/or a bear, granted.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.