Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Hmm. I played this game since it was in early development. Not as a random player either; Amazon was a client of the marketing firm I work for. I played this when it was an internal test essentially. I can not recall any mandatory PVP except for those early intro quests.

I suspected the poster was using some language I think is ruinous.
    Then you must have played different game because first close beta anyone with opposing faction could attack you in open word and there was nothing you could do besides staying in town or changing factions. This or you played when/where nobody else played.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Then you must have played different game because first close beta anyone with opposing faction could attack you in open word and there was nothing you could do besides staying in town or changing factions. This or you played when/where nobody else played.
    I played before there was even an alpha. I played through all alpha and beta builds of the game, I have seen almost every step of this game. There was an early build where world PVP had no toggle but it was only mandatory by lack of the feature, not by design intent. All the stuff the public got to play did not have mandatory PVP.

I played before there was even an alpha. I played through all alpha and beta builds of the game, I have seen almost every step of this game. There was an early build where world PVP had no toggle but it was only mandatory by lack of the feature, not by design intent. All the stuff the public got to play did not have mandatory PVP.
    I would call any game that has PvP enabled by default with no way to turn it off as having mandatory PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by SimithDAEN View Post
    Well, if compare New World with WoW, I think the combat styles between the games are very different. It’s hard to say, with absolution, which one is better or worse. It comes down to personal preference. If you are a player who prefers tab-targeting, then World of Warcraft is your game. If you don’t like tab-targeting, then choose New World.
    It's honestly not that hard, and the comparison shouldn't be tab-targeting and not. It's "do you like essentially no buttons versus like 20 or so buttons" and for an mmo, the former is incredibly bare bones.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Started playing the beta and oh boy is this disappointing, boring and bland. If it stays like this it will lose >50% of it's players over the first six months.

Performace is abysmal as well, 15 fps on a 1070 on medium? Doesn't even look good...
    Really? Something must be wrong with your machine, as I was getting 60+ on 2k with a 1070 ti.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I would call any game that has PvP enabled by default with no way to turn it off as having mandatory PvP.
    I mean yeah that's what he said, just that it wasn't by design.

Are you serious? So it wasn't mandatory but you had no way to opt out LOL. Yeah... right
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm. I played this game since it was in early development. Not as a random player either; Amazon was a client of the marketing firm I work for. I played this when it was an internal test essentially. I can not recall any mandatory PVP except for those early intro quests.
    Yeah, I don't know what to tell you except that we obviously played at different phases of development. This was also an internal test; I was an Amazon employee as someone working for Twitch, and AGS used to invite employees over regularly to their office for testing in their studio. AGS was just down the street from the Twitch offices.

In any case, at a point in the game's lifecycle, PvP wasn't an option that could be turned on or off, it was just the standard state. Other players could kill you whenever they wanted to to take your resources. It was essentially a pvp survival mmo at that stage of development. It's obviously a very different animal now, but I also am pretty sure Amazon had allowed streamers to do so under the watchful eye of the studio while they were there, so it wasn't exactly a secret that it was a pvpcentric game at that time. But maybe I'm wrong and that's not what the guy meant. It kinda doesn't matter at this point since that's not what the game is about anymore, I was just trying to clarify what someone was probably talking about when they said the game used to be pvp heavy.

Edit: based on their own blog on it, it looks like they changed the design in late 2018/early 2019 during the closed alpha in response to player feedback to make pvp "opt in" instead of baseline. My own sneakpeak at the game was before the closed alpha, probably in early 2018 or maybe 2017.
    It was clear that there were concerns in the community about the impact of PvP (Player versus Player) on the overall gameplay experience. While PvP did change over the course of Alpha, generally, it was full loot and open world with only Outposts acting as sanctuaries. Everyone was vulnerable to attack, at any time, from other players in the rest of the world
    In the current design, players in New World experience PvP by opting into Faction conflicts and Wars for territory ownership. Opting into these PvP experiences will be extremely rewarding, often granting you exclusive in-game bonuses and rewards for your efforts.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2021-09-14 at 06:06 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

You don't have to do it though. Or didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Are you serious? So it wasn't mandatory but you had no way to opt out LOL. Yeah... right
    Yea, that's not mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Yeah, I don't know what to tell you except that we obviously played at different phases of development. This was also an internal test; I was an Amazon employee as someone working for Twitch, and AGS used to invite employees over regularly to their office for testing in their studio. AGS was just down the street from the Twitch offices.

In any case, at a point in the game's lifecycle, PvP wasn't an option that could be turned on or off, it was just the standard state. Other players could kill you whenever they wanted to to take your resources. It was essentially a pvp survival mmo at that stage of development. It's obviously a very different animal now, but I also am pretty sure Amazon had allowed streamers to do so under the watchful eye of the studio while they were there, so it wasn't exactly a secret that it was a pvpcentric game at that time. But maybe I'm wrong and that's not what the guy meant. It kinda doesn't matter at this point since that's not what the game is about anymore, I was just trying to clarify what someone was probably talking about when they said the game used to be pvp heavy.

Edit: based on their own blog on it, it looks like they changed the design in late 2018/early 2019 during the closed alpha in response to player feedback to make pvp "opt in" instead of baseline. My own sneakpeak at the game was before the closed alpha, probably in early 2018 or maybe 2017.
    That's exactly what I am saying and around the time I was invited to test the game as well. There just was not a toggle for it in the early builds. But you didn't have to do any PVP necessarily. It wasn't mandatory at the time. It just was the default state that you could not toggle it off. There was barely anything in the game at that point too.

All that development time and still the jump is too low!

Also, glad you liked it Xpsync!
    Will be a fun launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    All that development time and still the jump is too low!
    It's a more realistic jumping height, a few feet vs. everyone being an NBA player with 5 feet of height to their bloody jump. It's a bit odd given that high jumps are common in games, but that's more a result of that being necessary to clear various vertical hurdles. Since New World has ledges and contextual climbing/vaulting a lot of that is addressed when you're trying to climb things.

Hell, if anything the system seems fairly abusable/exploitable from my time tinkering around over the weekend. A lot of mountainsides that very much appear to be intended as natural barriers with roadways around them are surprisingly climbable without even that much effort.

Oh true, good point.
    I didn't explore as much as you cause I was trying to save it.
    I did notice that sliding/vaulting and I liked it.
    You're probs right too about me being used to other games standard jump plus things like double jump for DH and glide etc.
    Also been playing Ori again and that doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    You're probs right too about me being used to other games standard jump plus things like double jump for DH and glide etc.
    I miss the double jump from WildStar : (

I get where you're coming from though, it stood out as odd to me initially (since it's largely different than jumping in almost every other MMO out there right now) but it makes sense in the context of the game itself once you start putting together how the mechanic actually works.

I don't disagree with the idea, but....yes you would.

When WoW used to have PvP servers I played on one because that's where my friends were, but never actively went searching for or participated in PvP but at least once a day (usually more) I ended up in it because I was a valid target out in the world.

Just because you don't actively look for it doesn't mean you're not an unwilling participant.

That's what I mean when I hear the term "mandatory" PvP, is that you're going to be a part of it whether you want to be or not.

I disagree.

Especially in a game like New World where players from every faction are always close to each other. You'd ALWAYS be someone's target. You'd never get away from it.

Hell, even in this last Beta I was a target for idiots or newbs or whatever, trying to hit me even though I had my PvP flag turned off. They obviously gave up after noticing I wasn't affected and was ignoring them, but still....

I don't disagree with the idea, but....yes you would.

When WoW used to have PvP servers I played on one because that's where my friends were, but never actively went searching for or participated in PvP but at least once a day (usually more) I ended up in it because I was a valid target out in the world.

Just because you don't actively look for it doesn't mean you're not an unwilling participant.

That's what I mean when I hear the term "mandatory" PvP, is that you're going to be a part of it whether you want to be or not.

I disagree.

Especially in a game like New World where players from every faction are always close to each other. You'd ALWAYS be someone's target. You'd never get away from it.

Hell, even in this last Beta I was a target for idiots or newbs or whatever, trying to hit me even though I had my PvP flag turned off. They obviously gave up after noticing I wasn't affected and was ignoring them, but still....
    you have to flag yourself for pvp. its not forced at all

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearPenetration View Post
    you have to flag yourself for pvp. its not forced at all
    I know it is NOW. That's not what the context of the conversation was. You didn't used to be able toggle PvP on or off, it was on by default with no way to unflag yourself.

I know it is NOW. That's not what the context of the conversation was. You didn't used to be able toggle PvP on or off, it was on by default with no way to unflag yourself.
    shiiit im dumb, my bad

That's exactly what I am saying and around the time I was invited to test the game as well. There just was not a toggle for it in the early builds. But you didn't have to do any PVP necessarily. It wasn't mandatory at the time. It just was the default state that you could not toggle it off. There was barely anything in the game at that point too.

Duuuuuuuude, so LoL pvp isn't mandatory either, you dont have to attack anyone, neither is CS:GO simply because you can not shot a single bullet.

Thus by this simple conclusion using your logic, there isn't a single game in entire universe where pvp is mandatory. Clap.

Thats one of the wrongest options I've heard in a while.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

7+ Year Old Account
    After trying the beta I decided to give this a chance

Theres no subscription so thats a plus for having a side game to play

That said, the game really needs a minimap and resource tracking

Trying to find hemp without knowing where or what to look for was silly
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    After trying the beta I decided to give this a chance

Theres no subscription so thats a plus for having a side game to play

That said, the game really needs a minimap and resource tracking

Trying to find hemp without knowing where or what to look for was silly
    There is tracking, its just not as easy as in wow. There are some videos on youtube.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tracking resources really isn't a problem once you get your leveling up and you naturally begin to know what kind of tileset to look for when seeking x resource. Not like that map is that big or varies a whole lot.

Resident Cosplay Progressive