Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I think the idea of having a way for the citizens to remove someone from office like this is fine, but the implementation is godawful. People have said it before, but it should probably be a two-step process...or at the very least have "no" votes count towards the person who is being recalled on the 2nd question.
    Non-confidence votes are the kind of standard Democratic process that it's crazy the USA doesn't have more such systems in place as it is.

But yeah; the usual process is that a non-confidence vote passes, and then​ a new election happens. Combining the two is just . . . weird.

I think the idea of having a way for the citizens to remove someone from office like this is fine, but the implementation is godawful. People have said it before, but it should probably be a two-step process...or at the very least have "no" votes count towards the person who is being recalled on the 2nd question.
    Idea might be fine, but any implementation someone will game the system and abuse it. Just another way to kneecap governance.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Idea might be fine, but any implementation someone will game the system and abuse it. Just another way to kneecap governance.
    Maybe. But changing the requirements to trigger a recall in the first place would be the way to address something like that.

Maybe. But changing the requirements to trigger a recall in the first place would be the way to address something like that.
    I guess I just don't have any faith in anything like it, since we got one party trying to destroy democracy and turn the country into an autocracy. If we had two functioning parties...

If we had two functioning parties...
    If we had more than two, we might not have to deal with as much of this bullshit period. But we'd need to change a lot more about our elections than recalls for that to be the case.

It's not really shocking that a state like California wouldn't let their state go to a Trump backed libertarian. a used lawnmower would have had better chance. though even a blow out like this can't stop republicans from further undermining free elections even when they seem to be so inept they jump the trigger (a whole day????) before the counting even starts. but it sure seems to fire the base up, so no reason from their point of view to keep towing that line.

10+ Year Old Account
    It'd be pretty straightforward with having to hold another entire election should a recall pass wherein a candidate has to have 51% of the vote.

Also, the vote total required to initiate a recall should be like 25% of the votes cast in the previous election. 12% is ridiculously easy.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2021-09-15 at 04:36 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    It will be nice to put this expensive waste of time in the rear view mirror. Now hopefully Newsom can take unpopular but necessary actions without worrying about an imminent recall.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    At the very least, it needs to be heavily reformed so it has a higher threshold required to trigger a recall.
    I'm less worried about triggering the recall and more worried about the fact that it only requires a plurality to win if the recall goes through.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    I'm less worried about triggering the recall and more worried about the fact that it only requires a plurality to win if the recall goes through.
    Considering how much money they wasted on it, I'm all for reforming every aspect of recall elections.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    Make a successful recall put the Lt. Governor in charge. Done. Prevents both the circus of an election we had both this year and in 2003, and renders a recall ineffective as a tool for supplanting the governor with your own guy.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Make a successful recall put the Lt. Governor in charge. Done. Prevents both the circus of an election we had both this year and in 2003, and renders a recall ineffective as a tool for supplanting the governor with your own guy.
    I think that would defeat the purpose. If people have a problem with the policies of the current governor, chances are the Lt. is going to be following the same playbook.

Fraud! Stop the count!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xmirrors View Post
    Fraud! Stop the count!
    No, wait, Newsom is in the lead, keep counting, keep counting!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ongoing In: The media desperately wants the GOP to win.

"Sure Newsom won in a landslide, but in this Modoc diner Elder was the real winner."

Chris Cizzilla ussually offer the worst takes on CNN. Kasie Hunt, "hold my beer Christopher".

There is no reason to claim Elder did well in the recall, when the opposite is true. Further, there is *every* reason to treat his behavior as highly anti-democratic and dangerous. If his future *were* bright, the future of democracy would be dimmer.

Curious, when’s the last time a Trump-endorsed candidate for anything was actually elected?

Am I projecting or are these people simply reveling in being the Cleveland Browns of political ideology?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank god the recall election is over, now maybe the Trumpets will stop coming out waving their "FREEDOM!!!!" flags on the overpass on Fridays
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    Thank god the recall election is over, now maybe the Trumpets will stop coming out waving their "FREEDOM!!!!" flags on the overpass on Fridays
    My locals have been there every time I drive by since the election, and I don't expect them to stop any time soon. Usually it seems that the response from most motorists on the highway is just giving them the middle finger. Literally nobody likes them, which isn't surprising since I live in a fairly progressive/liberal area.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Ongoing In: The media desperately wants the GOP to win.
    Chris Cizzilla ussually offer the worst takes on CNN. Kasie Hunt, "hold my beer Christopher".

There is no reason to claim Elder did well in the recall, when the opposite is true. Further, there is *every* reason to treat his behavior as highly anti-democratic and dangerous. If his future *were* bright, the future of democracy would be dimmer.
    We all know who Larry Elder is, now, though.

That's how he "won". Not by actual political gains, but by becoming a known name nationally, not just inside of his little circle.

Seven takeaways from California's recall election

1.) Newsom's margin was bigger than expected
    Newsom's final margin of victory is going to be somewhere around the widest that any poll projected in recent weeks. Both Emerson and the University of California, Berkeley's Institute of Governmental Studies found 60 percent of California voters rejecting the recall, results that their polling directors are going to be happy with.
    And Newsom has actually improved on his share in several important places - 53 percent of Orange County voters voted against the recall, higher than the 50.1 percent who backed Newsom there in 2018. Cox won Riverside County by about 2,300 votes in 2018, but voters there rejected the recall by a 5-point margin, too.
    ----
    2.) Donald Trump is hurting the GOP
    Republicans are starting to fear that Trump's ridiculous allegations are actually hurting their performance in elections. They are especially worried about the damage Trump is doing to mail-in ballot habits of base Republican voters, habits that GOP strategists have spent years building up. Registered Democrats made up a disproportionately high share of ballots returned by mail, while many Republicans appear to have waited for Election Day to vote - if they voted at all.
    "Has Trump killed mail ballots to the detriment of the party?" asked Rob Stutzman, a longtime Republican strategist who worked for Arnold Schwarzenegger during the 2003 recall. "If the votes don't come in, Republicans are really going to have to struggle with how to turn that around."
    ----
    3.) Vaccinated voters are pro-vaccines
    The grandest irony of the entire recall election is that the coronavirus lockdowns that Newsom imposed back in March 2020 got him into this mess, and they also got him out of it.
    Recall supporters who collected more than 2.1 million signatures did so on the strength of voter frustration at school closings, economic stagnation and the early wave of COVID-19 cases that disproportionately hit low-income and minority communities.
    As it turns out, those who are vaccinated are just fine with vaccine mandates. Just under one-third of voters told exit pollsters the the coronavirus was the most important issue facing California; Newsom won 4 in 5 of those voters. Just under two-thirds of voters said getting a vaccine is a public health responsibility, rather than a personal choice; Newsom won 83 percent of those voters. And 70 percent said they supported a school mask requirement; Newsom won 80 percent of those voters.
    ----
    4.) Mobilization works
    Newsom's team launched a massive get-out-the-vote effort, one that roped in the biggest names in the Democratic Party, from Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) to President Biden, Vice President Harris and Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.).
    The campaign outspent Republicans on television, but it also spent eight figures on turnout operations in conjunction with state labor unions, Hispanic and Asian American and Pacific Islander communities and other community groups.
    Newsom and his allies warned Democratic voters of the consequences of a Republican win - that a progressive, pro-vaccine climate change foe would be replaced by an opponent he painted as Trump's clone. It worked, and by late August as many as 80 percent of Democrats said they were enthusiastic about voting.
    ----
    5.) Polling averages are better than individual polls
    One poll, conducted by SurveyUSA for KABC News, even found the recall succeeding by a 51 percent to 40 percent margin - the only survey conducted since the beginning of the year that found Newsom poised to be recalled.
    Then Newsom hit the gas, Democrats got excited and the pro-recall share plummeted to the low 40s or high 30s.
    The lesson: Watch the trends, not the individual polls. There was a clear apathy among Democratic voters in the spring and summer, one that gave way to excitement and action by the early fall. If a poll, like the one conducted by SurveyUSA, looks like a massive outlier, it probably is.
    ----
    6.) Newsom is back in the national conversation
    California is a very Democratic state. Registered Democrats outnumber registered Republicans by an almost 2-to-1 margin. But Newsom's win was significant enough on Tuesday that he didn't just claim the right to finish his first term, he virtually guaranteed he will win a second term next year.
    "Gavin Newsom still has Washington, D.C., in his gaze," said Thad Kousser, chair of the political science department at the University of California, San Diego. "And this recall, rather than tripping up his national ambitions, has elevated his visibility across the country."
    ----
    7.) Democrats have cover to pursue recall reforms
    Legislative Democrats have been considering ways to reform California's century-old, Progressive-era recall law. Their first step, in a bill they sent to Newsom's desk last week: barring signature gatherers who are paid by the autograph.