Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    But what if I watch that talk on my cell phone?
    That works...about as well as thinking masturbation is the same as making love to a real person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    At least you are honest about not giving a shit about facts or reality.
    When facts are not on your side, you need a framework where facts are not important.

Didn't expect any of them to outright admit it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    That is where you are wrong. I refer you to my signature.

The data and academic theories which are flaunted as being the 'absolute truth' only serve to let people experience a warped view of reality.
    The only alternative to data and analysis is wild flights of imagination and hallucination that you expect us to treat seriously. If you can't explain your position through reason, data, and/or analysis, then not only is it a bunch of nonsense you're making up, but even you don't properly understand any of it.

You're arguing against reality, in favor of deliberate self-delusion. Because you find the delusions more comfortable.

The data and academic theories which are flaunted as being the 'absolute truth' only serve to let people experience a warped view of reality.
    When will you ever see this in yourself?

That is where you are wrong. I refer you to my signature.

Theories and proven facts are very different if you cannot tell the difference then it shows why you would assume that science and religion are the same. If you have proof that certain truths are lies you can disprove them by publishing the facts, science doesn't rely on faith.

The only alternative to data and analysis is wild flights of imagination and hallucination that you expect us to treat seriously. If you can't explain your position through reason, data, and/or analysis, then not only is it a bunch of nonsense you're making up, but even you don't properly understand any of it.

You're arguing against reality, in favor of deliberate self-delusion. Because you find the delusions more comfortable.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giorgi...ts_on_COVID-19

Considering the dude in her signature is an apparent covid denier and decided that, as a non-medical expert he'd make medical predictions for a virus we were still learning about at that time, I think it's fairly safe to completely ignore it.

I mean sure, this was just before Italy started getting absolutely slapped around by covid, but his certainty sure makes him seem like...well...a bit of a fuckin dumbass who's probably not worth listening to.

I wouldn't be too certain about that...
    Again I commend you outright saying you don't care to prove your points in any way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Literally the only element of "faith" in science is the "faith" that what we can observe is a consistent representation of reality. It's always possible we're a brain in a jar being fed electrical signals to simulate a fake reality with fake rules, but there's no way to gather evidence to support that, and it doesn't bear thinking about since there's nothing we can do about it even if it's true.

Once you're past "maybe we're just a brain in a jar and living in a simulation", you're past any element of faith in the scientific process.

Kindly elaborate. What do we need to have "faith" in for science? Give examples.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but as you stated earlier...

Truth is, I don't care what data or academically proven theories you have
    ...you don't seem to actually care about the concept of reality or facts either. Since you've made it clear your opinion isn't based upon any evidence beyond your own feelings, I fail to see why anyone should believe a word you say about anything. Telling other people to doubt facts just because you doubt them is some pretty basic fearmongering, and I question why you're engaging in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Yes, but as you stated earlier...

...you don't seem to actually care about the concept of reality or facts either. Since you've made it clear your opinion isn't based upon any evidence beyond your own feelings, I fail to see why anyone should believe a word you say about anything. Telling other people to doubt facts just because you doubt them is some pretty basic fearmongering, and I question why you're engaging in it.
    the ends justify the means and the means in this case is eerily similar to right wing reactions to society progressing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Same reason conservatives like talking about "traditional views"; because their real views are so obviously objectionable they aren't going to be honest about them.

It's very simple:

The acknowledgement that there might be more wisdom in centuries old traditions than there is in under-developed modern day ideas.
    We have after all clearly seen what modern technocratic theories and data has brought us in Afghanistan: complete failure of achieving any lasting or meaningful goals. Which seems to sum up the overall performance of liberalism in the long-term too. A lot of freedom sure, but less and less the ability to make any meaningful use from it as mental illness, wealth inequality and infertility goes through the roof and the only way to keep sustaining the system is by importing a sub-class of wage slaves, whom in many cases are disconnected from the local culture or show an affinity to ideologies such as the Taliban etc.

Sometimes the best way forward isn't the one where everything is sunshine and rainbows, but where there is more sacrifice and hardship.
    I would not go that far. I do not miss slavery.

But on the other side, 6 weeks for abortion is too damn short, most women do not know they are pregnant at that stage. There is got to be a middle ground between progressive and conservative values. Obviously, we won't find that in MMo-C, because there are too many kids or immature adults around here, but just you know, middle ground exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    I would not go that far. I do not miss slavery.

But on the other side, 6 weeks for abortion is too damn short, most women do not know they are pregnant at that stage. There is got to be a middle ground between progressive and conservative values. Obviously, we won't find that in MMo-C, because there are too many kids or immature adults around here, but just you know, middle ground exists.
    It's not just the 6 weeks.

- $10,000 bounties on the heads of anyone helping an abortion and pregnant women.
    - Zero exceptions including for rape, incest and others.
    - Zero punishments for false accusations.

This is as bad as it gets when it comes to right wing extremism yet people are defending it.

I'm sure you have some amazing data and totes rational and sound academic theories to back that all up.
    Truth is, I don't care what data or academically proven theories you have, they're worthless and shit and a danger to western society and they will remain that way until they can actually achieve something meaningful beyond imposing new regulations on toilets and rationalizing why we should all own less and be happy about it.

No, it's to avoid the pitfalls of liberalism and the abject failure it has become. You can wave around your rainbow flags all you want, it's meaningless if you keep ignoring actual real issues in the world people need to suffer through because of your academic worthless shit.
    So all the rest of your fever dream nonsense aside, if data and evidence are bad, exactly how do you define "meaningful" success? Your own personal feels and that's it?

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" is a mockery of your behavior, not a guiding principle one should follow by the way.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    It's not just the 6 weeks.

- $10,000 bounties on the heads of anyone helping an abortion and pregnant women.
    - Zero exceptions including for rape, incest and others.
    - Zero punishments for false accusations.

This is as bad as it gets when it comes to right wing extremism yet people are defending it.
    As I saw in one response; why isn't there a $10,000 bounty for those who expose a rapist? Is it because that would generate a lot of false positives and lead to vigilantism and abuse? Because understanding that just makes it clear the vigilantism and abuse is the point of the bounty law.

10+ Year Old Account
    Same reason conservatives like talking about "traditional views"; because their real views are so obviously objectionable they aren't going to be honest about them.
    Yeah... It's just another euphemism.

Gay marriage?

"State's Rights!"

State makes it legal.

"Wait, you can't do that. Ummm... Protect traditional marriage!"

Just so they can say tell others and themselves, that they are not homophobes.

We are not racists! We kick the Mexicans out, because we are protecting jobs!

And on and on it goes.
    Last edited by Santti; 2021-09-15 at 06:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Literally the only element of "faith" in science is the "faith" that what we can observe is a consistent representation of reality. It's always possible we're a brain in a jar being fed electrical signals to simulate a fake reality with fake rules, but there's no way to gather evidence to support that, and it doesn't bear thinking about since there's nothing we can do about it even if it's true.

Once you're past "maybe we're just a brain in a jar and living in a simulation", you're past any element of faith in the scientific process.
    And even in such a scenario it would still make sense to try and figure out what the rules are for the simulation.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

It's very simple:

The acknowledgement that there might be more wisdom in centuries old traditions than there is in under-developed modern day ideas.
    Gonna ignore the rest of your post, @Edge already answered you well enough I feel.

What kind of wisdom are we talking about here? Is it the wisdom of stoning gays or burning witches on pyres? Or is the wisdom to treat the plague with cow dung and bleeding? Or is it the wisdom that teenagers born into the wrong gender shouldn't be allowed to feel different and we shouldn't allow them to practice the "centuries old tradition of field hockey"? Wait...what about the wisdom of not allowing women to play any sport at all anyway? I mean centuries old traditions say women belong in the kitchen after all, what is this underdeveloped idea of "sports"?

As I saw in one response; why isn't there a $10,000 bounty for those who expose a rapist? Is it because that would generate a lot of false positives and lead to vigilantism and abuse? Because understanding that just makes it clear the vigilantism and abuse is the point of the bounty law.
    Most Americans cannot afford the lawyer fees to even fight this, the law is basically a get rich quick scheme for religious crazies.