Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    My hope is that a lot of the game's limitations can be overcome with time. We've already seen it happen with some aspects of the game - we never used to be able to have our chocobo out if we were in a party, nor could we queue for duties with a chocobo summoned. After a while, that changed.

Other, older MMO's have overcome their limitations and accomplished impressive feats. I expect the same from FFXIV.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    I gave up about a month ago in Stormblood. The Doma storyline was so boring and I was way more invested in Ala Mhigo than The Far East sections. Also the not-Vashji'r zone ended up being a massive dissapointment compared to Vashji'r which is probably still my favourite zone in wow. Combat was still equal parts boring and frustrating (SAM the best of what I've played but heavily carried by great animations) with every melee dps feeling quite samey because of the combo system. Generally speaking boss trials were fun, although the story surrounding them became increasingly tiring as as soon as I met a beast tribe I knew what was coming. Outside of combat I have to complain about the zones too. Outside of cities the world is so flat and drab compared to WoW or even other MMOs like swtor. Just a miasma of low-res textures reminscent of the ps2 era. Unfortunately the dungeons suffer from bland areas aswell. A shame because the MSQ had some really great moments and the characterisation was improving drastically up to Stormblood. I'll probably come back and play some more because Shadowbringers has such a great reputation but wow the middle of Stormblood blows. Still think my favourite thing in the whole game is the bard instruments, they do such an amazing job of making cities feel alive with other players.
    I dunno where you are exactly in the MSQ (im assuming the red sea because thats far and away the least interesting zone outside of the one that came directly before it). From Yanxia the story slowly starts picking up steam again (though it too can be a bit of a drag - the music at least makes it easier to get through). Its when you hit the steppes (the next, but one zone) it really starts getting going. And honestly, its been awesome from that point right the way through to the end of 5.0. If you hate it though, you hate it. But i did see a glimmer of hope in the point on the story highlights.

- - - Updated - - -

Im really starting to feel the pain of the trust system. I'm assuming its less painful on a tank (except paladin i assume) or dps, because at least you have some control over your AOEs. In the earliest 2 dungeons my holy/assize was slow but decent. But now holy really does little more than a stun. And when youve got 6 mobs slowly going down one by one its a kind of torture. I think they need to just give healers a 100% dps buff as compensation. I know its supposed to suck more than with an actual group (by design), but the suckage feels particularly punishing on my poor whm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro123 View Post
    Oh come on....You havent seen the code, you dont work for SQUARE ENIX. None of us do.

There is no way for you to see that code...
    Yoshi-P and the rest of the team are very open and honest that the original 1.0 game was a nightmare of coding, and that for ARR they had to ghetto-rig a lot of things to get it out in time, which has caused a lot of the equivalent of TF2's Coconut.jpg where altering something can cause catastrophic failures in unrelated systems. It's the same reason they have to be extremely careful about housing updates. Large-scale coding and engine improvements are on their radar but they need a clear-enough plate to take care of it.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Trusts are just bad in general. They're not only slow, they're predictably slow. If that makes sense. They're just so painfully boring.
    They're coded so the dungeon takes about 30 minutes per run, with the NPCs doing more or less depending on your individual performance, as a tradeoff for the instant queue and not needing to deal with other players (the other parts of said tradeoff being less loot and slightly less xp).

If you're running a tank or healer, unless you want to see the unique interactions certain characters have in certain dungeons (for example, how the various Scions navigate or bypass the tightrope puzzle in the final boss of the fey dungeon, or Alphinaud and Alisaie's reactions in Holminster's Switch), you're almost always better off doing a regular dungeon (maybe do Trusts to learn the fights, but otherwise...). DPS players it's generally recommended to do Trusts unless you have a reliable four-man group to run with.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I ultimately did unsub, but not because the game was in any way unplayable.

Personally I am a huge huge fan of the profession system in 14, that was the most fun I had playing it, but the actual PvE play wasn't quite enough to keep me hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    I wonder if they ever drop PS3 support.

My honest wish for this game would to have a sequel but like with everything that XIV has, literally everything BUT written for newer platforms and with some code rewritten. Mostly UI and net code.
    It's not playable anymore for the PS3 but there seem to be remnants in the game the feel catered to that system. I still see some terribly low textures in NPC clothes/armor during cutscenes and such.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Trusts are just bad in general. They're not only slow, they're predictably slow. If that makes sense. They're just so painfully boring.

I know a lot of people love them, and they are handy for getting through MSQ stuff without breaking up the flow of the story by waiting in a queue for 20 minutes, but honestly they're just pretty awful outside of that.

Even with DPS jobs, you're probably better off just queueing for dungeons normally and doing other XP-gaining activities while waiting in the queue.
    As a DPS just chugging through the story and wanting to experience it, there's really nothing more stride breaking and annoying than having to it and wait and twiddle your thumbs or whatever until the queue pops so Trusts are amazing with that. Trials still require the queue, so...meh.

As a tank or healer, I don't see much reason to do Trusts since the queue would be nigh instantaneous. Doing them as a tank or DPS doesn't feel TOO terrible because you're actively participating but it's still slow. As a healer I imagine it's torturously slow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    It's not playable anymore for the PS3 but there seem to be remnants in the game the feel catered to that system. I still see some terribly low textures in NPC clothes/armor during cutscenes and such.
    Those are probably holdover textures from when PS3 support was there and they haven't gone back and redone them.

I agree, that the texturing on most of the armors is horrendous. Maybe that's intentional, as increasing the number of polygons or whatever on a piece would exponentially affect processing time and with the number of other stuff going on in a group, it's a design decision to design textures that look fine from normal camera distance in the outside world, but upon closer inspection look pixelated AF.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Those are probably holdover textures from when PS3 support was there and they haven't gone back and redone them.

I agree, that the texturing on most of the armors is horrendous. Maybe that's intentional, as increasing the number of polygons or whatever on a piece would exponentially affect processing time and with the number of other stuff going on in a group, it's a design decision to design textures that look fine from normal camera distance in the outside world, but upon closer inspection look pixelated AF.
    There is no way it's a deliberate artistic choice. PS3 support was dropped with the release of Stormblood and you still get pixelated clothing like Hien or the Exarch. More than likely they have some sort of stupid hardcoded limitation as to the size of the textures.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    There is no way it's a deliberate artistic choice. PS3 support was dropped with the release of Stormblood and you still get pixelated clothing like Hien or the Exarch. More than likely they have some sort of stupid hardcoded limitation as to the size of the textures.
    This would mean the same thing I just said; that it's a deliberate design choice. That's not the same thing as an artistic choice. Maybe I'm not using the right term, but I mean the developers intentionally use lower res textures regardless of what the artists create.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watching a streamer, he bought something off of the Marketboard and went to go find a mail-moogle to get it - WoW reflex, as you have to go to a mailbox to get items you buy off the AH.
    He explained it to the audience who seems to largely FFXIV players, and they called it bad/garbage/trash design.

Meanwhile, he wanted to post something on the Market and went into the Marketboard, and his audience were telling him that you have to go into the retainer to post on the Market.

Like- that's some ass-backwards design there.
    WoW having AH management in the AH, but picking up from a Mailbox = bad.
    FFXIV having items from the Market going into your bag, but having to manage the Market from a separate NPC in a separate menu = acceptable.
    wut
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    Watching a streamer, he bought something off of the Marketboard and went to go find a mail-moogle to get it - WoW reflex, as you have to go to a mailbox to get items you buy off the AH.
    He explained it to the audience who seems to largely FFXIV players, and they called it bad/garbage/trash design.

Meanwhile, he wanted to post something on the Market and went into the Marketboard, and his audience were telling him that you have to go into the retainer to post on the Market.

FFXIV having items from the Market going into your bag, but having to manage the Market from a separate NPC in a separate menu = acceptable.
    wut
    Im absolutely sure that...

If you mono game, every single apparent inconvenience comes from your experience as a mono-gamer. I struggle to empathise with you. Jusy play disco elysium and lets discuss it.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-09-18 at 01:29 PM.

wut
    Yeah that is some bad design here but on the side note, having to go thru retainer means you dont need to keep shit in your bags, at all. It's not as bad as it sounds because of benefits you get with proxy trading.

Both systems are not perfect but I would say XIV is just SLIGHTLY better. Nothing groundbreaking or anything. If we take into consideration addons tho. WoW would win for "entrepreneurs".
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    This game does a lot of things better than WoW, but how it goes about inventory in general is downright awful. WoW is literally just buy bags and put stuff in your bank or bags for later use. It's pretty straight forward and requires literally zero thinking and I don't even use bag addons for WoW at all.

Final Fantasy has a default inventory systems with two additional parts for key items and crystal (general crafting materials in the other). These two don't really matter because one just fills as you pick up crystals while the key item interface would never actually be filled. Your gear goes in an armory chest which the game draws on (can equip from). It causes frustration if you're new and don't clear out your armory chest because the game won't recognize new items you can equip if you go over the armory limit, and instead plants it in your actual bags. Meanwhile additional storage options come in the form of your chocobo saddle (which the game won't draw on), a storage container in the inn, a glamour thing (with limited amounts per slot, granted it's a lot), and the ability to hire retainers which is how you sell items to players in addition to holding even more items.

Cleaning out my bags in FF and going through the hassle of selling, listing, or depositing things for glamour is really annoying. Even worse was fucking around with your armory chest when it inevitably gets full and gear starts leaking into your inventory, then going through the games UI to sell things to vendors which takes far longer than WoW even with WoWs base UI settings.

But yeah, I like this game a lot but inventory and how the game catalogues things is not one of those highlights. WoW is straight forward in regards to inventory and using the auction house, and everything you collect from a gear perspective is automatically catalogued in pet, mount or gear tabs so you know instantly whether you need it or not. There's nothing that tells you that the red items in your inventory or gear you potentially pick up is something that you already have in FF.

The way you can dye your gear in FF14 is amazing and adds a lot of options for customizing your gear. But you would be an absolute fucking liar to tell me that you like having to go deposit your gear to unlock that glamour appearance in your glam closet each and every time, as opposed to just going to a cosmetic tab in WoW and cycling through what everything looks at as soon as you get an item.

It's hilarious because if this game was solely a PC game a lot of the quirks and issues I have with the game would actually just go away. It's obvious the inventory is obtuse and awful for people who play PC games because it's also designed for people on the stupid Playstation, in addition to other UI elements in the game that are limited because of this (granted the base UI manipulation in FF is actually pretty good). It's pretty much like when you play a lot of new release games with inventory systems that are available on consoles and PCs where pretty much all of the work goes into making all it functional for consoles, while they put less work into having alternate or different systems for the PC version (which generally makes the PC port or version feel really clunky).

wut
    RP may have merit of needing your retainer to take the items to the actual market to be posted on the board. There is also the location tax depends on where the retainer is stationed and their capacity to only sell X amount of items.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Yeah that is some bad design here but on the side note, having to go thru retainer means you dont need to keep shit in your bags, at all. It's not as bad as it sounds because of benefits you get with proxy trading.

Both systems are not perfect but I would say XIV is just SLIGHTLY better. Nothing groundbreaking or anything. If we take into consideration addons tho. WoW would win for "entrepreneurs".
    WoW is far superior with the AH rework that FFXIV could desperately use. Too many random stacks of stuff in the market board because people can't be parsed to break up stacks to sell. Selling stuff in stacks is also very cumbersome. With WoW's current system, stack size wouldn't matter. I was a TSM user for a long time in WoW so seeing the UI for posting stuff in FFXIV had me facepalm for a bit. There are also no mods that I've seen to make it that much better (using PMB and Penny Pincher atm).
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    WoW is far superior with the AH rework that FFXIV could desperately use. Too many random stacks of stuff in the market board because people can't be parsed to break up stacks to sell. Selling stuff in stacks is also very cumbersome. With WoW's current system, stack size wouldn't matter. I was a TSM user for a long time in WoW so seeing the UI for posting stuff in FFXIV had me facepalm for a bit. There are also no mods that I've seen to make it that much better (using PMB and Penny Pincher atm).
    It isn't. For normal usage with default UI XIV wins. Thats the thing, I've spent maybe 10 minutes monthly in wow on AH just to sell some random shit from bags.
    Im doing same thing in XiV so its a vast improvement when i don't have to keep this shit in my bags if they don't sell. Dont have to run to mailbox, collect tons of garbage and resell it again once every two days.

Commodities? Who cares i dont use that lol, stacks, stack sizes, lol what is that? (that's a sarcasm, I fully well know how wow AH works inside out better than vast majority of players)

I made WoW AH addon called AuctionFaster for that purpose. To sell crap from bags.

If I would be playing AH then WoW would win but i just CBA so in terms of typical usage XIV is just better.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

I gotta tell ya, there's a lot of weird takes in this list.
    Why? they're right.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Why? they're right.
    The only one I don't agree with is the Transmog/Glamour system.

FFXIV Glamour Dresser is great as it allows for the creation of sets easily, but everything else, WoW does better.

Doesn't take up inventory space, allows for a significantly larger array of choices and doesn't require a reagent or storage space to put what you want to glamour in there.

Half of them aren't even factually correct, though. Or are weird comparisons.

Well yes, but WoW doesn't have the job system, so there's really not a need for an armory chest.

WoW has gear sets, too.

There is a good amount of storage space, that much is true. Granted, storage space really shouldn't be an issue in either game, you have a ton of options.

The saddlebag is a bit weird, though. I wish you could at least craft with materials in it.

WoW does this as well, although not consistently. XIV is better about it, but isn't 100% consistent with it either, in the case of quest items that are also normal items, or currency in the form of items. (Bozja coins, Eureka clusters, etc)

Yes, but they're really a currency more than anything, so eh.

"WoW doesn't limit you on glamour storage" is an extremely strange take. You're really, really stretching to find a "XIV is better!" angle here.

XIV does have an inventory search feature though. Both through a slash command and through the UI.
    WoW does NOT have gear sets that you can quickly equip. WoW does NOT have a bad just for quest items.

Uh...what? When's the last time you played WoW?

It's not a "bag" per se, but many quest items that don't have any other purpose have gone into their own little storage space for a long time.
    I don't recall ever having the option to create gear sets. Did I somehow miss this in 11 years of playing? And worthless quest items still hog bag space in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    WoW does NOT have gear sets that you can quickly equip. WoW does NOT have a bad just for quest items.
    There is an addon that allows you to create gear sets, been around since Vanilla.

Outfitter.