Thread: Tales of Arise

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Got 2 questions;

1) How do you change your character in the field (exploring)? Seen plenty of videos of that, can't for the life of me figure out how... and no, I'm not talking about leader character you control during fights.

2) How do you select regions for Fast Travel? Currently I'm having to go through entrances/exits, or L1/R1, of zones to scroll to where I want to go... or Quest map view, which is an incredibly round about way tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Got 2 questions;

1) How do you change your character in the field (exploring)? Seen plenty of videos of that, can't for the life of me figure out how... and no, I'm not talking about leader character you control during fights.

2) How do you select regions for Fast Travel? Currently I'm having to go through entrances/exits, or L1/R1, of zones to scroll to where I want to go... or Quest map view, which is an incredibly round about way tbh.
    When you are in the menu, you have a hotkey for that (the change leader thing not in the edit menu). You can switch map when you display the map list when you open map. I am on steam with a xbox controller so it could be different for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Got 2 questions;

1) Maybe this helps, but no sure how your UI looks like:

2) You gota press the map button and on down right (on pc) is a button you need to press to get this menu out:

Then you just select a map and teleport to location (note that sometimes in story you cant use teleport).
    Don't sweat the details!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Still not sold on the ost. Couple good songs but symphonia is still the best in the series.

Abyss is still my favorite overall but Arise is really good. I've dropped nearly 15 hours into it already (that's quite the feat for me with my family/job schedule).

I like the style being a little less cutesy and a little more bleakness in the story. Annoyed that it still follows some old tropes (amnesia...zzZzZZzzzz) but it's been enjoyable so far for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Still not sold on the ost. Couple good songs but symphonia is still the best in the series.
    While I agree the ost isn't the best we've had from a tales game nothing comes close to xillia 2 for me, never the less having finished the game and starting my chaos run I can say in my opinion this is one of it the best overall game in the series.

One thing so far i could live without, is Rinwells constant "oh Law is so dumb" attitude towards him, but gotta say that the story REALLY ramps up at some point, but luckily wasn't boring beforehand and even 35h later, i still love to see the combo attacks. Especially the ones with Law just seem like pure raw power that you do NOT wanna get hit by, probably due to the REALLY powerful sounding hits they end with.

But one thing i really, REALLY wish it had, was a photomode or way to hide the UI. There are so many gorgeous looking places, yet you gotta make screenshots in cutscenes or live them having the UI in the picture. They went with a... was it pastel? kinda look (not sure what it was called, uncultered art swine), yet no way to actually make screenshots of the scenery without the UI.

played the intro until you get to your first camp, and i do not like the characters. at all.
    i know, i know its just the beginning, and i didnt like velvet at the start as well, but its just ..... makes me not want to boot up the game.

please someone confirm that it gets better please.

Quote Originally Posted by lagiacrux View Post
    played the intro until you get to your first camp, and i do not like the characters. at all.
    i know, i know its just the beginning, and i didnt like velvet at the start as well, but its just ..... makes me not want to boot up the game.

Honestly, I was lukewarm on the game and I couldn't figure out why. Some thing just happened like 20 hours in and now I'm really curious to see what happens next.

Sounds like you might just be burnt out on JRPGs in general since the characters are the same tropes in 9/10 JRPGs. Nothing significant story wise is even revealed until halfway into the game, so it just sounds like you're not liking the typical JRPG tropes this game, like most of them have.

Quote Originally Posted by xmirrors View Post
    Abyss is still my favorite overall but Arise is really good. I've dropped nearly 15 hours into it already (that's quite the feat for me with my family/job schedule).

I like the style being a little less cutesy and a little more bleakness in the story. Annoyed that it still follows some old tropes (amnesia...zzZzZZzzzz) but it's been enjoyable so far for sure.
    I'll always wonder why people like Abyss so much. To me, it's the FF7 of Tales of games (and not in the 'my favorite' way). Even worse, the midway point in the game was totally ridiculous with everyone turning on you-know-who despite finding out they were a clone and still new to the world . It was frustrating to watch their interactions cuz it made no dang sense- they had zero empathy.

Even gameplay wise, it didn't do much for me personally. Anise shines through and the song parts for Tear, but overall.. IDK. Regal was more fun than any character in TotA; heck, Grune was more enjoyable (as a character story and a character) than most things in TotA, though just the other day I was thinking about 'remember when you had to spin the C sticks to increase cast speed' lol.

Anywho, now that I think about it, Tales of Xillia (1, not the tragedy that was 2) is vastly under appreciated in comparison to TotA.

Game sales are great.

https://twitter.com/Tales_of_ARISE/s...69786510012417

I don't know what that says, but I'm told it says Tales has shipped 1 million copies already and is the fastest selling Tales of game so far:

https://n4g.com/news/2442243/tales-o...-the-franchise

The soft reboot appears to have worked. I wonder if "Arise" alludes not only to the game itself, but to the IP, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Game sales are great.

https://twitter.com/Tales_of_ARISE/s...69786510012417

I don't know what that says, but I'm told it says Tales has shipped 1 million copies already and is the fastest selling Tales of game so far:

https://n4g.com/news/2442243/tales-o...-the-franchise
    Fastest selling was already a guarantee, the first game in the series with a world wide launch. The test will be if it has legs or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    The soft reboot appears to have worked. I wonder if "Arise" alludes not only to the game itself, but to the IP, lol.
    How is Arise a soft reboot? Aren't most tales games in entirely separate universes?

As a game Arise seems to follow pretty much the usual Tales formula with a few small tweaks and gimmicks, as every tales game has had. The main difference being the change in graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    How is Arise a soft reboot? Aren't most tales games in entirely separate universes?

As a game Arise seems to follow pretty much the usual Tales formula with a few small tweaks and gimmicks, as every tales game has had. The main difference being the change in graphics.
    Yea it's not a reboot at all, they just ditched their ancient ass game engine for unreal and put 5 years of work and polish into the game instead of sticking to the rushed release schedule they where previously on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Sounds like you might just be burnt out on JRPGs in general since the characters are the same tropes in 9/10 JRPGs. Nothing significant story wise is even revealed until halfway into the game, so it just sounds like you're not liking the typical JRPG tropes this game, like most of them have.
    i think the main problem i have is, that i have a couple of games im really excited to play right now, and arise isnt one of them. doesnt help that i dont have that much time to spare right now, so the prospect of a 70+ hour jrpg is a turn off as well.
    i have a few weeks vacation in october, so ill give it another try then.

15+ Year Old Account
    i think the main problem i have is, that i have a couple of games im really excited to play right now, and arise isnt one of them. doesnt help that i dont have that much time to spare right now, so the prospect of a 70+ hour jrpg is a turn off as well.
    i have a few weeks vacation in october, so ill give it another try then.
    I mean, it's quite good with a pretty serious tone. But if it helps, alphen and shionne are just literally copies of fei and elly from xenogears so they're the most interesting mcs in the series yet

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post

According to Eurogamer it is generally referred to as a soft reboot.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...f-arise-review

"Despite the rampant release schedule though, Tales of Arise is the first new entry since 2016's Berseria, and is generally viewed as a soft reboot for the series at large, attempting to find footing with a bigger audience than ever before, especially in the west."

I'm not defending their wording, however, this is the material I read on the game beforehand which led me to use the term soft reboot.

After your question, I looked up the term soft reboot. From this website:

https://screenrant.com/movie-franchi...on-discussion/

The thing that's in now is the "soft" reboot: a movie that introduces a particular brand to a new generation of moviegoers, while still keeping the canon of previous films intact.

I assume this is similar to games.

I see why one wouldn't think it applied to the Tales of series, simply because there is little/no continuity there in the main narrative, basically every game is a "soft reboot."

I really have no opinion.

Then I found this article:

https://www.ign.com/articles/how-tal...sic-rpg-series

It says, "But while producer Yusuke Tomizawa says that a reboot is "correct description for this title," it's closer to the original games than you might think." so perhaps that is where eurogamer got that term? IGN actually goes on to say that it is more of a "refresh" than a reboot, but I wish they would expand on that. As yall say, how is this a refresh if it is just a new and really good tales game with good graphics?

I'll tell you what I thought when I posted it. I believed that the big difference was actually quality. I believed Tales of was a backburner series with limited budget before and they invested time and money this time to "refresh" the IP with a renewed quality, not just graphics, but in general quality, which seems to be reflected in the critical and user reviews. That said, this was just a flight of fancy in my mind. I had no idea I would be describing my thoughts in so much detail, but that was my "soft reboot" here, quality improvement.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-09-16 at 07:37 PM.