Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    That's not really the same. Like, at all.

Obsidian made the games, themselves. Using other people's IP, yes, but they were still responsible in building the games. Aspyr, on the other hand, has not really made games at all. Just ported already 100% completed games by other people (including Obsidian), onto other platforms. A good cause, to be sure, as they were responsible for over 50% of the games on MacOS, at some point. But that's basically all they've done. That, and published some as well. I'm sure some of the games they've ported needed more work than others, but in the end, they've only really dealt with games that someone else had already finished. And when you hear this remake is being made from ground-up (whatever that means), it worries a little bit.

Now, as I previously said, there's a good chance that they will still do just fine. Maybe they've acquired some good talent? Who knows.
    Using existing IP already placed a major border on what Obsidion could do with there own project.
    Obisidion had to work on what was previously released for example, Dungeon Siege 3 needed to be a Dungeon Siege game and not suddenly a FPS or a more traditional RPG game like KOTOR.

The same with Aspyr, there is a pre defined story that the KOTOR remake needs to include and a pre defined way of making of how the game needs to look. KOTOR can't suddenly be a top down RPG for example and because of FF7 Remake I feel they have a good blueprint in how they should handle combat.

So I'm assuming they're going to re-hire the VOs? Will they get everyone back or will some character have new VOs?

And while I get that the combat in KOTOR is a bit stale, I'm a bit concerned about what they will change it into.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Using existing IP already placed a major border on what Obsidion could do with there own project.
    Obisidion had to work on what was previously released for example, Dungeon Siege 3 needed to be a Dungeon Siege game and not suddenly a FPS or a more traditional RPG game like KOTOR.
    Funny that you would mention Dungeon Siege 3, which was panned for straying too far from the Dungeon Siege-formula (amongst other issues).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account

The same with Aspyr, there is a pre defined story that the KOTOR remake needs to include and a pre defined way of making of how the game needs to look. KOTOR can't suddenly be a top down RPG for example and because of FF7 Remake I feel they have a good blueprint in how they should handle combat.
    Yes, but Obsidian still built the games themselves. This shouldn't be difficult to understand. The certain guidelines they may have, do (depends on the deal they make, I believe) restrict what they can do, yes, but they still have to do all the coding and create the assets and shit. And depending on what kind of deal you have, possibly the story as well.

To use a somewhat clumsy analogy, Obsidian built a house (game) using an existing template (IP). They had an idea what the finished product should look like, but they still had to start from an empty plot, that would eventually become a building. Aspyr then re-arranged the furniture, or did some renovation, but was never part in constructing the building. Aspyr worked with an existing building that was already fully livable, and functional. They just refurbished it suit other needs (platforms).

So, yeah. You can't compare the two.

Also, Dungeon Siege 3 is not a good example.

Dungeon Siege III was announced in June 2010 as the first main entry in the series not to be developed by Gas Powered Games following a purchase of the rights to the series by Square Enix earlier that year. The game was instead developed by Obsidian Entertainment with Chris Taylor, the inventor of the Dungeon Siege franchise, serving as an adviser. The game received mixed reviews by critics who praised the game's mechanics and graphics, especially the character models. Opinions about the story, replay value and multiplayer system were mixed on the other hand.

So yeah. In this example, they certainly could have turned Dungeon Siege 3 into an FPS. They had the the rights to it (or rather, Square Enix did, as they now owned the IP, but they could have made the decision to turn the game into whatever). The original inventor was brought as an advisor, but they could have just ignored him and tell him to get bent.
    Last edited by Santti; 2021-09-13 at 06:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

I really hope they add more companions to KOTOR 1 and options like in SWTOR to kill your companions.. except earlier in the game like Juhani
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

This for sure will be a game I'll have to take a wait and see approach. One of the writers not being a fan of Kotor definitely gives me pause, and liking the sequel trilogy is a huge red flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    This for sure will be a game I'll have to take a wait and see approach. One of the writers not being a fan of Kotor definitely gives me pause, and liking the sequel trilogy is a huge red flag.
    Based on what I'm seeing is that mostly right-wingers, the defenders of "freedom of speech", who kind of hate women are hating on one of the writers.
    https://cosmicbook.news/star-wars-wo...epublic-remake

KOTOR unless you played it when it was first released hasn't really aged well.

People are passing judgment on something based on a announcement and the fact that one of the writers is a women. THis is kind of pathetic.

Based on what I'm seeing is that mostly right-wingers, the defenders of "freedom of speech", who kind of hate women are hating on one of the writers.
    https://cosmicbook.news/star-wars-wo...epublic-remake

KOTOR unless you played it when it was first released hasn't really aged well.

People are passing judgment on something based on a announcement and the fact that one of the writers is a women. THis is kind of pathetic.
    Yeah, I tried looking this up the other day. I couldn't find any more information other than her being a part of the team - no mention of her being a head writer. Some reddit posts bemoaned how she liked the new trilogy (therefore she must have bad taste /s) as proof of her "evils". But it's most likely as you said, the fact that she is a woman (and an outspoken one) that created this narrative.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Yeah, I tried looking this up the other day. I couldn't find any more information other than her being a part of the team - no mention of her being a head writer. Some reddit posts bemoaned how she liked the new trilogy (therefore she must have bad taste /s) as proof of her "evils". But it's most likely as you said, the fact that she is a woman (and an outspoken one) that created this narrative.
    Not even sure she is saying that she liked the new trilogie (I didn't).
    But at the very least what she is saying that if anything, the new star wars trilogy isn't a bad movie because the main character is a bloody women.

It's mostly the moral justice warriors finding something to be bitching about really, we have no idea what kind of assignment the developer got from Disney in how to handle this remake and what we have seen is a bloody cartoon with the voice over.
    We have no idea of the history of this developer (outside there ports) so you can't really judge based on there history.

But then again, I fully expect that the moral justice warriors will find any and all reasons to bitch about anything really.

I didn’t know anything about the writer but a quick google search brought up the info. She’s just on the writing team, not really in a position of authority. She definitely hates kotor, loves the sequels and cries misogyny if anyone says anything bad about the sequels. This is a case of if you dislike this one woman you must hate all women.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I didn’t know anything about the writer but a quick google search brought up the info. She’s just on the writing team, not really in a position of authority. She definitely hates kotor, loves the sequels and cries misogyny if anyone says anything bad about the sequels. This is a case of if you dislike this one woman you must hate all women.
    I found a tweet that asked her what her favorite Star Wars game was and her response was "not KOTOR". Is that hate? I guess to some. I also saw that she was a head writer on the Ratchet & Clank game from 2021, which scored pretty well on in reviews. I'm not trying to defend her, some of her tweets are a mess and hyperbolic, but it does seem like she can write. I'm not expecting people to like her or not be sceptical, but some of the posts we've seen go way too far (which I think you'll agree on).

I'm more concerned about what they'll do to the gameplay. Sure, the original gameplay wasn't great but it worked well for it's time I think. I'm hoping it doesn't turn into anything to action-oriented.

I found a tweet that asked her what her favorite Star Wars game was and her response was "not KOTOR". Is that hate? I guess to some. I also saw that she was a head writer on the Ratchet & Clank game from 2021, which scored pretty well on in reviews. I'm not trying to defend her, some of her tweets are a mess and hyperbolic, but it does seem like she can write. I'm not expecting people to like her or not be sceptical, but some of the posts we've seen go way too far (which I think you'll agree on).

I'm more concerned about what they'll do to the gameplay. Sure, the original gameplay wasn't great but it worked well for it's time I think. I'm hoping it doesn't turn into anything to action-oriented.
    Well I'm kind of hoping that it does turn more action oriented, hopefully a bit like FF7 Remake in terms of combat.
    We aren't facing the same limitations as when the game first got released so why hold back on the remake? Make the worlds bigger, give us more to do and deepen the story. Personally I always felt that Koriban was kind of "short" but a really interesting arc overal.
    Combat obv was always kind of action oriented, sure it was turn based but not in the traditional way but even for it's time it was a bit more action then the regular RPG's.

Well I'm kind of hoping that it does turn more action oriented, hopefully a bit like FF7 Remake in terms of combat.
    We aren't facing the same limitations as when the game first got released so why hold back on the remake? Make the worlds bigger, give us more to do and deepen the story. Personally I always felt that Koriban was kind of "short" but a really interesting arc overal.
    Combat obv was always kind of action oriented, sure it was turn based but not in the traditional way but even for it's time it was a bit more action then the regular RPG's.
    I haven't played FF7 Remake, but based on what I've seen in combat gameplay videos I don't know if I like it (e.g. dodge/rolling wouldn't fit in KOTOR I think). Not opposed against bigger worlds, more story, characters etc though - I'm not really a "puritan" in that sense.

I haven't played FF7 Remake, but based on what I've seen in combat gameplay videos I don't know if I like it (e.g. dodge/rolling wouldn't fit in KOTOR I think). Not opposed against bigger worlds, more story, characters etc though - I'm not really a "puritan" in that sense.
    It's a star wars game though, I mean parry, blocking blasters and moving faster then regular non jedi is kind of a jedi thing.
    If you judge KOTOR based on the merits of when it was first released the combat alone blew my mind because it looked like a action oriented even though it was a turn based system.
    Last edited by ati87; 2021-09-17 at 06:53 AM.

It's a star wars game though, I mean parry, blocking blasters and moving faster then regular non jedi is kind of a jedi thing.
    If you judge KOTOR based on the merits of when it was first released the combat alone blew my mind because it looked like a action oriented.
    Parry/block is fine. It's just specifically the dodge/roll that I think can look silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    When people use the word SJW and Woke in a serious manner, you know they’re on something strong. Who even walks around trying to identify what’s woke and what isn’t? Fuck me. Imagine walking around the world going ‘that’s right wing’ and ‘that’s toxic’. Go live life and stop complaining that things aren’t exactly the way you like them.
    What a sheep npc take. Just try not to notice how your favourite content from movies to games gets butchered by woketards. Close your eyes and pretend its not happening.

I very much doubt they're going to make a RTWP RPG based on a modified DnD ruleset for a triple-A starwars game in 2022. And that makes me sad, because what's even the point if its not KotOR anymore?
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    What a sheep npc take. Just try not to notice how your favourite content from movies to games gets butchered by woketards. Close your eyes and pretend its not happening.
    I'd say that's a clear mark of a CONSUMER.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    The lack of self-awareness required for someone on the right to call anyone else an npc, is just amazing. I thought you guys realized that some time a go, which was why it was quietly dropped. Guess not.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    The lack of self-awareness required for someone on the right to call anyone else an npc, is just amazing. I thought you guys realized that some time a go, which was why it was quietly dropped. Guess not.
    His response did crack me up tbh. Uses the phrases 'sheep npc' and 'woketards' unironically and expects to be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    His response did crack me up tbh. Uses the phrases 'sheep npc' and 'woketards' unironically and expects to be taken seriously.
    Because these right-wingers aren't consistent in what they don't like. It's all about being angry about something they don't like. Constituency is important which most "moral justice warriors" kind of lack.
    Having a white actor play a Egyptian god is fine because the gods are fictional characters.
    Having a black actor play hermione granger is not fine because this fictional characters should be "white".

Look at the current Bond discussion. James Bond can't be a women or a black actor because XYZ reason while I would argue that James Bond is a code name given to agent 007 and that any British person could technically be agent 007 James Bond. Is it for example that far fetched to introduce yourself as "Jamesina" but tell people but "call me James".