Wednesday's report:

164,509 new cases; about 25k fewer than two weeks ago.

Top 10:

Fuck Florida.
    Texas: 22,407 new cases; 420 deaths
    California: 9,406 new cases; 221 deaths
    Ohio: 7,747 new cases; deaths not reported
    North Carolina: 7,277 new cases; 100 deaths
    Tennessee: 7,235 new cases; 87 deaths
    Georgia: 6,167 new cases; 235 deaths
    New York: 5,456 new cases; 41 deaths
    Kentucky: 5,389 new cases; 49 deaths
    Pennsylvania: 4,812 new cases; 50 deaths

If Florida is to be believed they've dropped down to just under 11k cases. Of course they also say they only had 3 deaths on the day so take that as you will. Texas' cases may be slightly down, but they're still over 20k which is appalling and means the healthcare services will likely remain strained a while longer. California, meanwhile, has dropped below 10k again--they've come through this wave pretty well when you consider their population, density and amount of Trump voters. Other states such as Ohio, Idaho and North Carolina are not faring as well, however, as their cases continue to climb. The current wave may be declining nationally but it remains a real issue in several states.

2,282 deaths is well over 500 more than two weeks ago and brings the total to 685,023. Can't sugarcoat this one; that's pretty terrible. Texas led with another day over 400 deaths, I'm sure Florida was again in the 300 range and Georgia jumped up to the 200+ range just edging out California. Both of the Carolinas also had 100+ days. Some of this is likely to be corrections at play again, but not all of it. We're around a week or so from the peak of the national wave so hopefully we won't be seeing these death totals climb further.

Related news:

Alaska records most daily COVID cases amid healthcare strain--Alaska's not on my list purely by virtue of their lower population, but they're still setting records, jumping over 1k for the first time ever.

Can kids be harmed wearing masks to protect against COVID?--The short answer is "No". The long answer is "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" so stop using it as an excuse to push your bullshit political agenda on your children you Trumper fucks.

Hospitals in West struggle to find beds for critically ill amid Covid surge--*Gasp* Blue states are having trouble too!--in that they're trying to help out neighboring states like Idaho by making beds available for their sick but need to make sure they have some in reserve for themselves.

Stay safe, folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    2,282 deaths
    ...yeah...I am glad to see cases are dropping. In theory, the deaths will follow. I just, you know, wish it was sooner. Or had always been lower to begin with.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it's time again for Guess the Speaker! The context is the increasingly overhyped "Justice for J6" (eyeroll) rally.

They need to take a firm line, buddy. If anybody gets out of line, they need to whack ’em.
    "That sounds like them no-good Antifa!"

Actually, that's Sen. Graham. The NYTimes and also his wife say that Graham's public opposition to the murderous insurrection was no act and no joke. The NYTimes talked to other GOP officials, most of whom were there when Trump's murderous insurrection attacked. None of them seem to want to touch this thing. None of them said they'd be there.

- - - Updated - - -

So...I love this headline.

Roger Stone was giving an interview on 93.3 St. Louis discussing, at the time, if Trump would run in 2024. During the interview he was served with a lawsuit about his claims that the election was fraudulent.

During which, live and on the air, he said it was a fraud. Again.

Oh, and there's only one 93.3 and it's in Philly. Screw you St. Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Oh, and there's only one 93.3 and it's in Philly. Screw you St. Louis.

WMMR REPRESENT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Wednesday's report:
    Southern Illinois is out of ICU beds.

Some zip codes in southern Illinois have single digit vaccination percentages.

Single. Digits.

Southern Illinois is deep red.

None of these are coincidences.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/s...03498690154497

Newsmax host interviews veteran helping evacuate folks from Afghanistan about the topic.

Veteran gets a few words in gently criticizing Trump.

Newsmax host proceeds to angrily cut him off and scream about how this is all Biden's fault and Trump was perfect.

The party that ostensibly celebrates and supports our troops and veterans, y'all. I hope the host wakes up one day to a next of spider eggs hatching in his ear.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the ongoing effort to prove he was guilty of inciting the Jan 6th riot, Trump proclaims they are innocent and that the election was still rigged.

Wow that host.
    I can't.
    He didn't even really directly blame the chimp, he said multiple admins.
    Stuff like that makes me feel there is no hope for unity ever.
    They don't want it.
    More and more he is their Kim Jong Un.
    I would not be surprised if someone tries to pass a law saying it's illegal to disparage him.

I'm sure it's been discussed before but I'd love to see an alternate timeline where they get their own country to run.
    Would love to see how it turns out.

We need a political What if show.
    Cause my brain can't do that thought experiment lol.
    I feel like it'd be the Purge tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Le fucking sigh.

Fuck Florida is adding 1554 deaths today. Expect a huge jump in the 7-day average.

If my quick math is correct, the current 7-day average for newly-reported deaths will jump to 363 and the peak recent 7-day average for deaths according to the CDC data (by date of the actual death) will jump to 335 back on 8/25.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/s...03498690154497

Newsmax host interviews veteran helping evacuate folks from Afghanistan about the topic.

Veteran gets a few words in gently criticizing Trump.

Newsmax host proceeds to angrily cut him off and scream about how this is all Biden's fault and Trump was perfect.

The party that ostensibly celebrates and supports our troops and veterans, y'all. I hope the host wakes up one day to a next of spider eggs hatching in his ear.
    Wow, that was 100% sincere rage too, not faux rage like you see from Faux News so often. If Trump told that guy to drink some cyanide-laced Koolaid, he would do it with absolutely no hesitation or questions asked.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

You too can find out who owns what far right website due to a massive hack on the hosting provider Epik.

In a press release on the hack, dubbed Operation EPIK FAIL, Anonymous claimed that it was able to obtain “a decade’s worth" of information, including domain registrations and transfers, account credentials, and emails from an Epik employee.
    Any my personal favorite:

A Linux engineer tasked with conducting an impact assessment on behalf of a client who uses Epik's services told the Daily Dot that the breach was one of the worst he had ever seen. The engineer did not have permission to speak about the breach by his employer and was granted anonymity by the Daily Dot.

"They are fully compromised end-to-end," they said. "Maybe the worst I've ever seen in my 20-year career."

The engineer pointed the Daily Dot to what they described as Epik's "entire primary database," which contains hosting account usernames and passwords, SSH keys, and even some credit card numbers—all stored in plaintext.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...cid=uxbndlbing

DURHAM GOT ANOTHER ONE!!!

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/r...th-ties-to-dnc

Well kinda...sorta. He nabbed a private lawyer for many Democrats for perjury as part of his investigation into the FBI that was totes gonna uncover the "DEEP STATE". Thus far he's nabbed a low level FBI lawyer for "process crimes", and now a private attorney also for..."process crimes".

Lucky him though, he had 3 days left to prosecute Michael Sussman before the statute of limitations expired.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    In related news, the Republican Governors Association was hacked to shit.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/16/polit...ked/index.html

You hate to see it.
    Now now, your schadenfreude is showing!

Hafnium- The state sponsored hackers from China is the group.
    Waiting for RGA to blame "China Joe".
    They'll claim it's proof of election interference by the dems instead of having luddites in charge of their tech.
    But I'm guessing that even though the white house put out a warning, it came from a dem so it can't be true!
    That or exchange server updates really are out of their depth.

10+ Year Old Account
    So how bad is it in Fuck Florida right now?

Well, I'd be willing to bet real money that the current summer wave of COVID in Florida will exceed the death counts of the waves last summer and last winter... combined.

From 7/1/20 to 3/31/21, Florida registered 30.5k COVID deaths (34,341 - 3,788). From 7/1/21 to now, the state of Flaccida has already registered over 12.5k deaths (50,811 - 38,262). Now, that doesn't include the likely 3-5k additional deaths that have already occurred, but just have not yet been reported to the CDC. (see: the previous graphics of Florida fuckery)

Since Florida is only maybe just now reaching the peak of this wave, and because the tailing end of the infection curve usually declines slower than the leading edge rises (you know, exponential infection rates and all), that means the current summer wave will likely account for a larger total of lost DeSantis constituents than the 30.5k from the combined summer/winter waves last year.

About the only thing that will prevent that from happening at this point is an early start to this year's winter wave.

And folks, I wouldn't consider that a "win".

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    An Ohio Republican Rep will not seek re-election, avoiding (amongst other things) the "toxic dynamics inside our own party".

Yeah, if I was a Republican and voted to impeach Trump, I would also flee. Not that I'd be worried about losing (although I would probably expect to lose) but because I'd be afraid of being murdered by Trump supporters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    Now now, your schadenfreude is showing!

Hafnium- The state sponsored hackers from China is the group.
    Waiting for RGA to blame "China Joe".
    They'll claim it's proof of election interference by the dems instead of having luddites in charge of their tech.
    But I'm guessing that even though the white house put out a warning, it came from a dem so it can't be true!
    That or exchange server updates really are out of their depth.
    Seeing the GOP taken down a peg is always fun, but I'm hesitant to laud a hostile nation accessing the records of those involved in US governance, even if the involved parties in question are a bunch of feckless stooges.

Whatever China's motives are, they're to help China, not the U.S. And what's good for the Chinese government generally runs antithetical to what's good for lots of people in lots of places.

I don't want to be as naive and short-sighted as the republicans were when they cheered as Russia hacked the DNC because they thought it gave them "political points" when it's quite clear the whole thing was done with aims to denigrate the United States.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

You know that little rally that is coming Sept 18 to DC in support of the insurrectionists? Trump thinks it is a setup to make him look bad. I find it funny that now unless he hosts it, he wants no part of it.

Trump thinks the Sept. 18 rally in support of Capitol riot suspects is a setup designed to make him look bad, report says
    https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...-report-2021-9

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Trump thinks it is a setup to make him look bad
    He probably shouldn't have supported it then, huh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    He probably shouldn't have supported it then, huh?
    A wild stab in the dark, this is Trump being vindictive, for being booed by his own supporters in Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    A wild stab in the dark, this is Trump being vindictive, for being booed by his own supporters in Alabama.
    Good, and hopefully it causes him some support because every little bit that he loses, whether it's these unvaccinated mouth-breathing village idiots dying of covid or supports who get miffed because he calls them out, increases the likelihood that he loses in 2024.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I mean, it could be revenge for the rally saying "you can't wear Trump clothing, it's not about Trump". But we all knew it was about Trump, the reason given was a lie. The Alabamer thing was about vaccines.