Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Resheph View Post
    So you're saying a for-profit company is using strategies to maximize profits? Amazing.

In other news - water still wet.
    I actually laughed out loud with this one. Great comment!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Might be thinking of the MoP timed dungeon transmogs. If you didn’t get them then, it’s too late.
    I'd actually like if they did something like this again in the future. Keep the m+ system, but also have a challenge mode system that scales your gear to a certain ilvl and is really hard to do. It was fun searching for the best possible gear loadout to do those dungeons back then. And the Draenor ones were similar except it was only weapon transmogs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Content, please, it helps with a discussion.

If people feel lured by "FOMO" then that is their issue, and not really the company.
    Whats wierd to me is when people say things like "oh shit, now I have to subscribe for a month or two to get these exclusive things... i hate this game, why do they make me do this" or something to that effect.

If someone really didn't like the game, then why would they care if there was time limited exclusive rewards? Really really strange.

i haven't felt fomo about anything since legion. granted, i'm not against time limited, exclusive items. it happened with the black scarab mount, no one complained, it happened with the tcg cards, no one complained, it happened with general quest items removed from the game, no one complained, it happened with the mop challenge mode armor and wod challenge mode weapons, no one complained.

why is it suddenly that any kind of incentive to try harder is bad? if the super casuals want a single player experience, fine. but that shouldn't get rid of content meant for me. this game is for the both of us, not just you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    I can’t think of a good reason to not keep timewalking up all of the time, rotating weekly versus monthly. Not for any gameplay reason at least. Or did something change that I missed?
    I absolutely agree. It's not so much that there's a lack of content so to speak, but that rotating it monthly feels like there's 3 weeks of 'downtime' for people who perhaps aren't all the interested in the raiding or PVP scene. Nostalgia is a strong force, and I've no doubt that plenty of people would like to revisit older content more often than timewalking allows.

I know I personally prefer Wrath content over just about anything that's ever been released (I've always loved the aesthetics and music scores that they used), but limiting it to once every 6 months if you want it to present some semblance of challenge means I'm just less likely to bother at all. That's not to say timewalking is a challenge in itself, but it's more challenging than revisiting the non-timewalking versions.

I don't know what I'll be doing in 6 months time. Missing out on a timewalking reward for a specific expansion is frustrating because by the time it rolls around next, my interest in the game might have waned.

I'd say the same about the PVP events. I can't think of a reason they couldn't run 2 or 3 every week. They switched them to weekly in 9.1 apparently, but there's still ~12 events, so it's 3 months between full cycle rotations. Making it so that you can play each event for an entire week each month would be better. I know there were only a few PVP events I was interested in, and the last time I was excited to try out Tarren Mill vs Southshore, they moved back by a month or 2 because of technical issues.

FOMO wouldn't be enough to get me to resub. I've no real interest in investing huge chunks of time into something I can only do once every half a year. There's certainly things I have gone FOMO on, but WoW is not one of them, not these days.

TLDR: Higher frequency of 'limited time' content = more variety for people to invest their time in.

If you think abusing FOMO is exclusive to Blizzard, i got newsfor you, thats all every game is about nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    If you think abusing FOMO is exclusive to Blizzard, i got newsfor you, thats all every game is about nowadays.
    Every THING nowadays...even fast food and Walmart do it..it's a mental thing. Shit the lottery pushes "well you lose every ticket you don't play"

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Every THING nowadays...even fast food and Walmart do it..it's a mental thing. Shit the lottery pushes "well you lose every ticket you don't play"
    yeah we are in a fomo economy as we watch teh world burn to ash, its a good time.

Fomo is good. Either you do it and gain the rewards which is cool, or you don't. Easy concept.

yeah we are in a fomo economy as we watch teh world burn to ash, its a good time.
    Hell JC Penny admitted to doing it, STOPPED doing it, turns out people preferred they DID do it, crashed and burned, went back to doing the FOMO everythings always on sale bullshit

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Might be thinking of the MoP timed dungeon transmogs. If you didn’t get them then, it’s too late.
    Post was clearly about timewalking. No timewalking reward was ever taken away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Hell JC Penny admitted to doing it, STOPPED doing it, turns out people preferred they DID do it, crashed and burned, went back to doing the FOMO everythings always on sale bullshit
    it's not even that people wanted them to do it. it's basic psychology. if a person sees that something is on sale for a limited time, they are more likely to buy it. it's also true that places like walmart have been swapping to bigger and bigger shopping carts because the more room to fill makes a person likely to spend more money.

Oh wow, rehashed solo content - definitely worth the re-sub for this MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE rpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Fomo is good. Either you do it and gain the rewards which is cool, or you don't. Easy concept.
    you are the reason trump was elected.

Quote Originally Posted by diarx View Post
    Oh wow, rehashed solo content - definitely worth the re-sub for this MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE rpg.
    "Game is classified with these three letters - therefore they should make all content to fit with my idea of what those three letters mean!"

Dude, it's a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    there is definete FOMO atm with people being forced to sub now to gear their chars so they can do mage tower once it is releaed in 3-4months because onl ytiem they can do it wil lbe once every half of year.

its disgusting predatory tactics.

- - - Updated - - -

there is nothign that suggest this to be true

for al lwe know it may be 1 time thing that wont return for years and once again without original or sl version of transmogs .
    There is not a definite FOMO. People are not being forced to sub. Just this morning I continued to not be subbed to the game. Blizzard isn't forcing me to do anything.

This hysteria about Blizzard offering things that people want, whether it be for a limited time or not has to stop. In the end it just looks like people going REEEEEEEEEEE when ever blizzard tries to make money.

- - - Updated - - -

And what's the problem with that? Getting angry because someone used common sense is pathetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

15+ Year Old Account
    I see nothing wrong with using psychological tricks on adults to influence them to do things. All of media uses it, so does retail, and games. We simply need to be smarter consumers (Oh no, not personal responsibility!) to weed out the things we're not interested in supporting, and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    There is not a definite FOMO. People are not being forced to sub. Just this morning I continued to not be subbed to the game. Blizzard isn't forcing me to do anything.

This hysteria about Blizzard offering things that people want, whether it be for a limited time or not has to stop. In the end it just looks like people going REEEEEEEEEEE when ever blizzard tries to make money.

- - - Updated - - -

And what's the problem with that? Getting angry because someone used common sense is pathetic.
    While I don’t personally feel any desire to sub for timewalking dungeons, I don’t think it’s fair to say that a 6 month wait isn’t significant enough to make people feel pressured into acting now if they do care.

I remember years ago trying to finish the last of my seasonal achievements, one of which required me to log in on Christmas Day or something and this was impossible for me at the time.

I was stressing about it and trying to convince mates to log in on my account to get it done, I’d spent a lot of time that year getting all the achieves and to have to wait another year would have been very unfortunate.

I’m sure there are some people that will feel similar, and the real frustrating thing this time around is that, while it makes sense for seasonal achievements to exist at a certain time, it makes basically no sense to keep timewalking on a monthly versus a weekly rotation.

It’s just unnecessary, regardless of how relevant the emotions people feel towards it are.
    Last edited by DechCJC; 2021-09-18 at 06:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    there is definete FOMO atm with people being forced to sub now to gear their chars so they can do mage tower once it is releaed in 3-4months because onl ytiem they can do it wil lbe once every half of year.
    The Mage Tower is a part of Timewalking, which implies that your character's level and power are scaled back, rendering gearing up unnecessary.

There's no FOMO with the new Mage Tower as long as it's up at least during every Legion Timewalking. And currently we have no reason to believe it wouldn't be.
    "We don't care what people say, we know the truth. Enough is enough with this horse s***. I am not a freak, I was born with my free gun. Don't tell me I'm less than my freedom."

FOMO really only exists because some people have a strange mentality about things. To anyone else the whole concept seems a bit absurd, in this case especially. If you are not currently subscribed to WoW, then you really don't care about it or have a need to play it. So why would you care about any content you might miss out on if you won't in most likelihood keep playing the game after you obtain that armor/mount/achievement, etc? Because maybe one day in the distant future you might feel compelled to return to the game and you won't have that one armor set, mount or transmog that you saw that one person using? That's like a hoarders mentality. "I won't throw away that box of miscellaneous cables in the basement just in case one day I go to a garage sale and someone is selling a MiniDisc player without a data cable!". But why am I surprised people are whining about this crap, when it seems half the people don't even play the game anymore and just get their entertainment from sitting here thinking about random crap to whine about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Expansion and patch/event specific rewards are something that lots of games do. Take that as you will but it's not a Blizzard-specific thing.

Many games: "Buy this now in the shop because once it's gone it's gone forever."

Personally FOMO in video games doesn't affect me in any way at all. If you're any sort of a normal person eventually you'll no longer play those games and whether you acquired some "look" or weapon isn't going to matter.

Books go out of print. CD's/records used to go out of print all the time. It's the way of things. It seems you've discovered a very common marketing practice.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2021-09-18 at 06:43 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I voted Schmeebs though!

FOMO is nice because it gives a player something to show for, and have something to remember fondly from something he/she did when it was current.