Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account

If the buck is passed to FFXIV...

Not that I have any doubts about the game's quality or the developers' integrity, but that doesn't change the fact that the same gamers who complained about WoW are going to complain about Final Fantasy, right?

SquareEnix certainly has my confidence, but so did Blizzard for a very long time. The pressure of being top dog is substantial and indeed "the grass is always greener" on the other side.

(inb4 a slow decay of FFXIV optimism breaks down the community over the years)

But what do you think? Is FFXIV, for whatever reason, going to avoid trending downwards for an incredible amount of time like WoW? Bonus points if you explain what trajectory you see the MMO genre going in as a whole, considering the current landscape.

7+ Year Old Account
    No king rules forever
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

FF is doing a numbers squish with 6.0, I'm worried it's the start the of the downfall :S

"The grass is always greener" is probably more accurate than you know.

Same daily grinds
    Same 0 zero world content
    Less raids
    No m+

If you could create an alternate universe and transplant 100% of wow players to FF, the game would shut down a second time from drowning in the tears of complaints.

In a few months people are as bored with FF as they were with WoW, and at latest with 10.0 they'll all return and the circle starts anew.

FF14 is a great game, but I think a fair amount of the people that have fled to it are going to see that once the honeymoon period is over, there isn't much to do. It's a tremendous amount of content to do while you're catching up, but day to day play for the people that have kept up patch to patch is a bit light.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    FF14 is a great game, but I think a fair amount of the people that have fled to it are going to see that once the honeymoon period is over, there isn't much to do. It's a tremendous amount of content to do while you're catching up, but day to day play for the people that have kept up patch to patch is a bit light.
    And we're getting less content each expansion in FF :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    FF is doing a numbers squish with 6.0, I'm worried it's the start the of the downfall :S
    I assume it's the same WoW has done, couple of times now? Why would that be a start to any kind of downfall?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I assume it's the same WoW has done, couple of times now? Why would that be a start to any kind of downfall?
    After the first squish we've gotten what, 3 bad expansions and one decent one? Plus squishes are anti-mmorpg progression, when they start doing that it shows they stopped caring about your character growing from expansion to expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    No king rules forever
    TWITCH:
    41.3k views World of Warcraft
    12,7k views FF

I know which king is gonna rule over which

Even tho pple say FF is busier then WOW, it show doesnt show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

There's some things that FFXIV does better than WoW and some things that WoW does better than FFXIV. Both games could stand to learn lessons from one another and the MMO market is in dire need of some healthy competition at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    There's some things that FFXIV does better than WoW and some things that WoW does better than FFXIV. Both games could stand to learn lessons from one another and the MMO market is in dire need of some healthy competition at the moment.
    MMORPG market is just like the RTS market on its way out

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    TWITCH:
    12,7k views FF

FF is boring to watch, even moreso than wow, they likely have close to equal playerbases, but we'll never know.

10+ Year Old Account
    After the first squish we've gotten what, 3 bad expansions and one decent one? Plus squishes are anti-mmorpg progression, when they start doing that it shows they stopped caring about your character growing from expansion to expansion.
    Now that's just a ridiculous connection to make. Might as well as point to the Pandas, that brought the downfall. Or the fact that this game is freaking ancient by now.

The squishes in WoW has been necessary. Do you even remember the kind of items we had in MoP, when the first squish was introduced? Do you have any idea what kind of stats we'd be seeing, and the kind of stupid numbers we'd have, without the squishes? Besides, the whole world was squished. Our relative power didn't change.

This argument has always been bunch of bollocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Now that's just a ridiculous connection to make. Might as well as point to the Pandas, that brought the downfall. Or the fact that this game is freaking ancient by now.

The squishes in WoW has been necessary. Do you even remember the kind of items we had in MoP, when the first squish was introduced? Do you have any idea what kind of stats we'd be seeing, and the kind of stupid numbers we'd have, without the squishes? Besides, the whole world was squished. Our relative power didn't change.

This argument has always been bunch of bollocks.
    Only the mop squish was required because of coding, they should have stopped after, who cares if we're doing 1 billion dps, you can make it like 1.4m and it's easy to read if you want. And the level squish is worst of all, no reason for it.

Squishes ruin the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenod View Post
    Not that I have any doubts about the game's quality or the developers' integrity, but that doesn't change the fact that the same gamers who complained about WoW are going to complain about Final Fantasy, right?

SquareEnix certainly has my confidence, but so did Blizzard for a very long time. The pressure of being top dog is substantial and indeed "the grass is always greener" on the other side.

(inb4 a slow decay of FFXIV optimism breaks down the community over the years)

But what do you think? Is FFXIV, for whatever reason, going to avoid trending downwards for an incredible amount of time like WoW? Bonus points if you explain what trajectory you see the MMO genre going in as a whole, considering the current landscape.
    FFXIV is a different game - it already has a playerbase the devs there have a goal which is to get players to jump into the game during an expansion.. check out the new content sign up for a few months for that then take a break afterwards and come back when content comes out.
    Wow is trying to make it so you have something to do for the entire time you are online, FFXIV just has options you can do.

So if the devs keep going down this track and there is no sign that it'll stop.. because they are already keeping communication open much better than the Warcraft devs ever did.
    Now if discord/streaming etc was around when vanila/tbc/wrath came out we'd have had as much if not more talking than the FFXIV devs do now.
    But Blizzard will never correct to offer what the FFXIV devs do now, i'd be SHOCKED- Shocked.. If the wow devs keep up dev blogs for more than six months before they lapse again.
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    TWITCH:
    12,7k views FF

It's funny how you pretend to care.

10+ Year Old Account
    What buck? Just play what you want. It doesn't matter to me which MMORPG has the most subs. I just about which one is the most fun to me.

IDK, it's like some people are looking for permission from others to play a game.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    FF is boring to watch, even moreso than wow, they likely have close to equal playerbases, but we'll never know.
    I doubt that. WoW has always dominated any MMORPG when it comes to viewership and activity. it is just easy standard to see how popular it is to other games.
    WoW is as much fun to watch as FF is. So both are boring.

WoW still has triple its viewership. and when it launches a new expansion it surpasses 1.000.000 views. while FF cant even get to 100k .

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, actually it shows that their systems can't handle the absolutely massive numbers that were being thrown about. They explained this already. The squish is because they were getting number errors(think the nuclear ghandi error in civ) not "fuck your progression!" that's just in your head.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening