Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    In and of itself? No.
    But, it could allow more combat styles to be introduced later (I don't see it happening), but this combat style update could do a ton for the life of the game.
    You're right it could add more combat styles. If they were to add a new class they would have had to add a new class story (very expensive), but now they can do it without having to add so much more than just animations.

The class stories were by far the best part of this game. They are so ambitious, but by the same token very hard to expand upon.

I loved this game and will gladly dive in again with the new stuff to see if it can grab me again.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Deln View Post
    You're right it could add more combat styles. If they were to add a new class they would have had to add a new class story (very expensive), but now they can do it without having to add so much more than just animations.

The class stories were by far the best part of this game. They are so ambitious, but by the same token very hard to expand upon.

I loved this game and will gladly dive in again with the new stuff to see if it can grab me again.
    I would love Blaster Jedi or a Tech Melee combat style (given the number of NPC that are tech melee).
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    I definitely think there is a major untapped opportunity for a space mmorpg. SWTOR was ok, had some good points, but never came close to the magic of wow. Overwatch was originally supposed to be a space mmorpg before it was redesigned into what Overwatch became. But I think the ship has sailed on a SWTOR relaunch. EA saw the money Blizzard was making with wow and hoped to replicate it. They made some money back and I think eventually a modest profit, but from a studio standpoint putting up a ton of money and work to do a little better than breaking even is still a failure. It's why so many studios play it safe nowadays and pump out endless games in a successful series vs. taking chances with new IP. They'll budget for Assassin's Creed 26 before a new IP.

FF14 kind of lucked out in that it came at the tail end of the chase for the mmo gold rush so it's engine was current, and they put out a nice game timed well with some poor expansions from wow, then Blizzard-gate, and it's allowed them to take advantage.

Amazon has the money to blow with New World, kind of like Netflix throwing money at new series until they find one that works. They can afford to pump almost unlimited dev money into it until it's either a success, or like most Google/Amazon/Microsoft projects they pull the plug out of nowhere. A clueless manager will see a chance to save 10 cents and will unceremoniously pull the plug on the whole game and fire the entire staff shutting down the servers, with ~3 days notice and zero concern for who it affects, like Stadia or Mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    I definitely think there is a major untapped opportunity for a space mmorpg. SWTOR was ok, had some good points, but never came close to the magic of wow. Overwatch was originally supposed to be a space mmorpg before it was redesigned into what Overwatch became. But I think the ship has sailed on a SWTOR relaunch. EA saw the money Blizzard was making with wow and hoped to replicate it. They made some money back and I think eventually a modest profit, but from a studio standpoint putting up a ton of money and work to do a little better than breaking even is still a failure. It's why so many studios play it safe nowadays and pump out endless games in a successful series vs. taking chances with new IP. They'll budget for Assassin's Creed 26 before a new IP.

FF14 kind of lucked out in that it came at the tail end of the chase for the mmo gold rush so it's engine was current, and they put out a nice game timed well with some poor expansions from wow, then Blizzard-gate, and it's allowed them to take advantage.

Amazon has the money to blow with New World, kind of like Netflix throwing money at new series until they find one that works. They can afford to pump almost unlimited dev money into it until it's either a success, or like most Google/Amazon/Microsoft projects they pull the plug out of nowhere. A clueless manager will see a chance to save 10 cents and will unceremoniously pull the plug on the whole game and fire the entire staff shutting down the servers, with ~3 days notice and zero concern for who it affects, like Stadia or Mixer.
    From what I have seen of New World I don't think any company in the MMO market is scared of Amazon for now. And if they want to 'rescue' it your probably better of starting over and making a better game from scratch then try to salvage something out of New World.

Heck I would consider New World already in salvage mode considering they slapped some PvE on last minute after realising there actually isn't a big enough market for a pure PvP MMO.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

They tried this, it was called knights of the fallen empire

It failed spectacularly
    An'u belore delen'na

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Cough View Post
    They tried this, it was called knights of the fallen empire

It failed spectacularly
    Knights of the Fallen Empire wasn't what the topic is about, as it didn't really relaunch anything. Just condensed the 8 storylines into 1.
    And it didn't really fail either. Knights of the Eternal Throne was by all measure worse as it took 3 years for a new expansion after KotET.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2021-09-19 at 07:21 PM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    How is that going to affect the PVP in the game? Mind you, it wasn't ever really renowned as supremely balanced. Was always janky.
    It shouldn't impact anything really, because the only thing they're doing is allowing all the Force users to use any Force user advanced class/ play style and any Tech user to use any Tech user advanced class/ play style. They're not adding any NEW play styles to the game with this update. You'll just have melee Inquisitors, ranged Warriors, Bounty Hunters with sniper rifles and Agents dual wielding pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    It shouldn't impact anything really, because the only thing they're doing is allowing all the Force users to use any Force user advanced class/ play style and any Tech user to use any Tech user advanced class/ play style. They're not adding any NEW play styles to the game with this update. You'll just have melee Inquisitors, ranged Warriors, Bounty Hunters with sniper rifles and Agents dual wielding pistols.
    So again I ask, is it just cosmetic? Where a Sniper can now be a force using Sith Juggernaut, but is really just a Juggernaut dressed as a Sniper who can do that Sniper storyline?

I wish for an new SW mmorpg - but i doubt it. MMORPGs are dead. They just go for Mobile & Ports/Remasters.

7+ Year Old Account
    So again I ask, is it just cosmetic? Where a Sniper can now be a force using Sith Juggernaut, but is really just a Juggernaut dressed as a Sniper who can do that Sniper storyline?
    No. The Combat Styles are divided between Tech and Force. The tech classes (Trooper, Agent, Hunter, and Smuggler) can be any of the 8 tech combat styles, but not any of the Force Combat Styles. So, you can be a Bounty Hunter using the Sniper loadout or an Agent dual wielding pistols like the Mercenary.

Example: If you are a trooper and you choose Sniper for Combat Style, you'll be a Trooper with the play style of a sniper. You can play as a Bounty Hunter with the Commando load out, so you do the Bounty Hunter story line, but with the assault cannon play style.

Force Users can be the Force Combat styles only. And you are faction locked unless you are a Light Sided Sith or a Dark Sided Jedi, where you can then choose the combat styles of the Sith as a Jedi or the Jedi as a Sith. Based on the wording, it is not 100% if you are a Light Sided Sith, if you must use the Jedi versions or if you can remain using Dark Side version.

So there are currently no plans for Blaster Jedi as playable. (However, this new system leaves it open.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    I wish for an new SW mmorpg - but i doubt it. MMORPGs are dead. They just go for Mobile & Ports/Remasters.
    "They are dead"
    "They just go mobile!"

Which is it? Are they dead or are they all going mobile? It cannot be both.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2021-09-20 at 03:52 PM.
    –The Sith Code

It's a little from column A and a bit from column B.

There are still some restrictions.

There are 4 Force using advanced classes (I'll use Imperial Classes): Juggernaut, Marauder, Sorcerer and Assassin and 4 "Tech" using advanced classes: Sniper, Operative, Mercenary and Powertech.

The two Force using jobs (Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor) can be any force using advanced class now. So a Sith Warrior, playng through the Sith Warrior story, can now be single saber wielding, ranged attacker or healer (Sorceror game play) and a Sith Inquisitor, playing through the Sith Inquisitor story, can be a dual wielding melee fighter (Marauder game play).

The two Tech jobs (Imperial Agent and Bounty Hunter) can be any tech using advanced class. So an Imperial Agent, playing through the Agent story, can dual wield pistols (Mercenary game play) and a Bounty Hunter can wield a Sniper rifle (Sniper game play).

There's no change to the game play of the advanced class you choose. A Bounty Hunter wielding a sniper rifle will play exactly like a Sniper does now, you'll just be doing it AS a Bounty Hunter, playing through the Bounty Hunter story.

Also @Darththeo covered it too.

It's a little from column A and a bit from column B.

There are still some restrictions.

There are 4 Force using advanced classes (I'll use Imperial Classes): Juggernaut, Marauder, Sorcerer and Assassin and 4 "Tech" using advanced classes: Sniper, Operative, Mercenary and Powertech.

The two Force using jobs (Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor) can be any force using advanced class now. So a Sith Warrior, playng through the Sith Warrior story, can now be single saber wielding, ranged attacker or healer (Sorceror game play) and a Sith Inquisitor, playing through the Sith Inquisitor story, can be a dual wielding melee fighter (Marauder game play).

The two Tech jobs (Imperial Agent and Bounty Hunter) can be any tech using advanced class. So an Imperial Agent, playing through the Agent story, can dual wield pistols (Mercenary game play) and a Bounty Hunter can wield a Sniper rifle (Sniper game play).

There's no change to the game play of the advanced class you choose. A Bounty Hunter wielding a sniper rifle will play exactly like a Sniper does now, you'll just be doing it AS a Bounty Hunter, playing through the Bounty Hunter story.

Also @Darththeo covered it too.
    No. The Combat Styles are divided between Tech and Force. The tech classes (Trooper, Agent, Hunter, and Smuggler) can be any of the 8 tech combat styles, but not any of the Force Combat Styles. So, you can be a Bounty Hunter using the Sniper loadout or an Agent dual wielding pistols like the Mercenary.

Example: If you are a trooper and you choose Sniper for Combat Style, you'll be a Trooper with the play style of a sniper. You can play as a Bounty Hunter with the Commando load out, so you do the Bounty Hunter story line, but with the assault cannon play style.

Force Users can be the Force Combat styles only. And you are faction locked unless you are a Light Sided Sith or a Dark Sided Jedi, where you can then choose the combat styles of the Sith as a Jedi or the Jedi as a Sith. Based on the wording, it is not 100% if you are a Light Sided Sith, if you must use the Jedi versions or if you can remain using Dark Side version.

So there are currently no plans for Blaster Jedi as playable. (However, this new system leaves it open.)

- - - Updated - - -

"They are dead"
    "They just go mobile!"

Gotcha. So Force Column A and Tech Column B. Everything in Column A/B can mix and match within their own columns.

Gotcha. So Force Column A and Tech Column B. Everything in Column A/B can mix and match within their own columns.
    Yup.

100% /10 char

10+ Year Old Account
    People point to FFXIV as proof games can relaunch with success, but outside of FFXIV, I cannot name another game that redid itself and ended up more successful.
    No Man's Sky Yes Woman's Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflakesz View Post
    Loved it back in the day, the main story campaign's we're nothing short of amazing.
    End game on release was pretty bad though.

But the problem with the game, was always the sluggish gameplay. Not sure how to best describe it, but it was slow, unresponsive and clunky...
    It's really the same reason why the Elder Scrolls MMO is hot garbage, playing the game feels awful, when you're used to WoW.
    its because of the animations,they want it to ''look cool'' like in the movies,the way blasters shoot multiple rounds but its only really hiting once,same with melee,you hit once but the animation makes it look like its doing more than just one hit,realisticaly it plays just like wow,but in wow the animations are made to look more...snapy and quick

Yup.

100% /10 char
    Well that’s silly. Would be way more fun if they went full KOTOR style RP that allows guns and sabers at the same time.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well that’s silly. Would be way more fun if they went full KOTOR style RP that allows guns and sabers at the same time.
    You couldn't do that in KotOR.
    –The Sith Code

Would be kind of fun for the Force using classes to be able to use tech alongside force powers or something, but it would be ridiculous for the Tech classes to be swinging lightsabers and using force powers.

There's no mixing and matching going on within a combat style, Combat Style = Advanced Class. So when someone chooses to play a Sith Warrior with the Lightning Sorcerer skill set, they are literally just playing a Sith Lightning Sorcerer but seeing the Sith Warrior story while doing it. There's no subtlety or minute changes, you're still playing exactly what you would be playing today as far as the advanced class game play is.

I'm honestly not that excited about the change, aside from maybe a cosmetic stand point allowing for the same play style but with a different weapon (for example, I hate the giant assault cannon of the Commando and for some reason, the single pistol of the Powertech) So now I'll be able to play dual p9istol wielding "Commando" and a Blaster Rifle wielding Powertech and get the same play style.

"They are dead"
    "They just go mobile!"

They are dead, thats why they go mobile. lol

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    They are dead, thats why they go mobile. lol
    So not dead, just changing.
    –The Sith Code