Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I have been getting really strong reboot vibes from this movie and it might be for the best. Which might not be bad. The only problem is a lot of times in hollywood these days it kinda does.

I am kind of curious if this movie will get the "Top Gun 2 treatment" where it just keeps getting kicked down the road for years and years until COVID "doesn't exist anymore" and they can release it in the theaters and get the billions and billions dream.
    Let's be honest though. The Matrix is the only good product that the Wachowski's ever created. All their other films have been flops. Speed Racer was an OK adaptation of the anime but was still mediocre and performed terribly. This is probably their last kick at the can and they'll disappear into the sunset as creators who only had one creative hit that spawned 3 good Hollywood films and an animated film (which was crap). Either way, I expect this movie is going to be crap for so many reasons because creatively broke and insane Hollywood weirdos can't come up with something that doesn't have some bullshit sociopolitical agenda behind it.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    V for Vendetta was written and produced by them.
    A cult film at best, not a box office smash like The Matrix was, even though it made its money back on the budget. The Matrix eclipsed 450 million just on the first film with a budget of 63 million, V for Vendetta did 132 million with a 54 million dollar budget. Not exactly an amazing performance in that regard and I think only real hardcore film geeks really appreciated that movie, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Let's be honest though. The Matrix is the only good product that the Wachowski's ever created. All their other films have been flops. Speed Racer was an OK adaptation of the anime but was still mediocre and performed terribly. This is probably their last kick at the can and they'll disappear into the sunset as creators who only had one creative hit that spawned 3 good Hollywood films and an animated film (which was crap). Either way, I expect this movie is going to be crap for so many reasons because creatively broke and insane Hollywood weirdos can't come up with something that doesn't have some bullshit sociopolitical agenda behind it.
    I didn't say it was going to make billions and billions. I was more implying I wouldn't be surprised if delays happen so it was even possible. I know movies opening around where I am at aren't getting a lot traction. As for all the other political weird stuff you said.. cool I guess.. sometimes the people agendaing against the agenda are just as bad though.

A cult film at best, not a box office smash like The Matrix was, even though it made its money back on the budget. The Matrix eclipsed 450 million just on the first film with a budget of 63 million, V for Vendetta did 132 million with a 54 million dollar budget. Not exactly an amazing performance in that regard and I think only real hardcore film geeks really appreciated that movie, unfortunately.
    You said good product though, not financially successful. Albeit to be fair to you Jupiter Ascending was so terrible it may be worth two bad movies by its lonesome.

Then again, Ninja Assassin was really dumb but I enjoyed it for what it was, t'was exactly what it said on the tin.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Trailer just relies on nostalgia like it's a soft reboot. Unless this picks up from the last one, I'm not really interested. Besides, the original Matrix was told perfectly in a trilogy. Reloaded was great, the third was a good conclusion, and the first is classic. Is this really necessary? There was peace between the humans and the machines after Neo sacrificed himself to help defeat Agent Smith.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Trailer just relies on nostalgia like it's a soft reboot. Unless this picks up from the last one, I'm not really interested. Besides, the original Matrix was told perfectly in a trilogy. Reloaded was great, the third was a good conclusion, and the first is classic. Is this really necessary? There was peace between the humans and the machines after Neo sacrificed himself to help defeat Agent Smith.
    I have to agree with this, as much as a like the "warm-fuzzies" of nostalgia. It does look like a "fine" product of "hey, remember this? Remember when we had somewhat original ideas in Hollywood? (gib moneez pls?)"

Quote Originally Posted by vincink View Post
    I have to agree with this, as much as a like the "warm-fuzzies" of nostalgia. It does look like a "fine" product of "hey, remember this? Remember when we had somewhat original ideas in Hollywood? (gib moneez pls?)"
    The way I would have imagined it working is they could have revisited the other "the one" stories since apparently it happened many times before right. But then it would be weird for all the same people to be there.. probably.. but I guess we REALLY don't know exactly what is going on with this movie. But all the arrows are point in the direction being discussed.

Trailer just relies on nostalgia like it's a soft reboot. Unless this picks up from the last one, I'm not really interested.
    From what it sounds like, it's supposed to pick up from the first movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    So it ignores Reloaded and Revolutions?

I don't know whether it would or not, but at least I have. They are dogshit.

The original Matrix is best viewed as a standalone movie.

Switch, in the first movie, was trans. That's why her name was Switch. Their original plan was for her to be a man in the real world but a woman in the Matrix, but WB nixed it because it was 1999. Their social commentary has been there since the 90s, bro.

Also, Speed Racer was great, V for Vendetta was great, and their TV show (Sense8) was fucking great as well.

Quote Originally Posted by vincink View Post
    I honestly dismissed this trailer too, as being completely unimaginative and just rehashing stuff from the first movie. But then I thought about it for a minute, and thought that seemed like an extremely obvious point to make...which made me wonder if that wasn't the intent. OBVIOUSLY if it was just the first movie all over again but with different actors, it would be an absolutely insane thing to do and would be guaranteed to kill the careers of everybody involved. Nobody would be that dumb...so I went browsing around various places to see what people were saying about it, and I came across a theory that I think New Rockstars put forth best in their easter eggs video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSwqTxdOGsQ.

That theory basically being that the events of the trilogy actually happened, AND are also an in-universe set of movies that Neo made, and he's the main star of those movies. A couple of shots showing the original Matrix playing on a screen in the background of a firefight, along with some leaked info from a while ago on like 4chan or somewhere, help to show that that might actually be what's going on. Neo wakes up after the events of the third movie as "someone famous, like an actor" who occasionally has these odd dreams...dreams that he's taken and turned into movies to show everybody else. So now the machines are trying to trick Neo into thinking that everything he experienced really was just a part of his dreams and didn't actually happen, by making them happen again but with subtle differences this time around. Fighting against someone who looks like Morpheus...but he's younger, looks a little different, and was approached differently. The fight between them takes place in a dojo, but it's a different looking dojo than he was originally in and his opponent fights differently.

Basically, try to take the feeling of "oh god this is just a rehash of the first movie" and try to turn that into a plot point. Which makes you wonder, then, why they're doing it. What point could there be in trying to make the main character relive similar experiences that he did the first time around? And when you start thinking about that, the weird possibilities kinda just open up and get you intrigued.

Or at least, that's what happened to me. Was a huge fan of the first movie, disappointed in the two sequels but thought they were fun to watch, and now I'm going back to this trailer every now and then to try to think of why things are the way they are. I'm actually intrigued by this movie, even though it's been YEARS since I've actually been interested in a movie this far before it came out. Not even all the Avengers shit got me wondering what was going to happen like this movie has. (I've never read anything in the Marvel comics, so everything going on in the Infinity War stuff was all brand new to me)

I don't think it does, I have seen images that show Neo blinded being "tended to" by machines, seemingly after his death. I can't remember if thoese were in the trailer or from the other promotional material on the homepage. Watched a breakdown from New Rockstars and they showed those.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    No, it picks up after the third movie. Did you not see the couple of frames of video in the flashback early on (when he's sitting in Doogie Howser's office going through flashbacks that ends when someone snaps their fingers) showing Neo with his eyes all blasted/burned/destroyed laying on the ground with machines working on him? That happened in the third movie, and the machines are very clearly working on him to try to plug him back into the Matrix.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by formerShandalay View Post
    I don't think it does, I have seen images that show Neo blinded being "tended to" by machines, seemingly after his death. I can't remember if thoese were in the trailer or from the other promotional material on the homepage. Watched a breakdown from New Rockstars and they showed those.
    Was in the trailer. There were a couple of shots from the matrix website that show some differing scenes, but the one with him being tended to by machines happened in the flashback early on in the trailer itself.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    this is the most prominent scene when thinking about that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-VPKuKvOvc

here Neo asked directly why he can do all that things even when not plugged into the matrix. the oracle gives him a very loosly coupled, unspecific and lousy answer. but it MAY point at that theory, that the „reality“ (zyon, outer world, etc) is a second layer of the matrix. we never got any real explanations for Neos abilities (like „seeing the source“ when he becames blind, stopping machines, etc) in the real world, beyond that talk between him and the oracle.

given the fact, that a machine can not lie and the architect told the full truth, the matrix lacks by an unsolved mathematical term. both parts of that math term are Neo and Agent Smith. Neo just exists, as some „outside of Agents Smith control“ logic, to reboot the Matrix and therefore delete Smith. This can be just done from the „outside“ because Smith controls everything inside, after a while. so, if you are a machine and you have to eliminate that term/problem, you would do exactly that.

that said, 2 thoughts come up:

1)
    if Neos „outside“ is really the reality, how to control Neo and make sure he reboots the matrix ? also if the outside is the real reality, what are Neos abilities then ?

2)
    if Neos „outside“ is not the real reality, but a second layer of the matrix, it solves all questions in point1. but it raises 2 new questions:
    - how you make sure, Smith is not also controling of, or gaining access to, layer2 ?
    - why you need Neo, when you can just reboot Layer1 from Layer2 ?

the second answer is solved, when Neo just IS exactly that mechanic. a program that think it breaks out (from layer1) and reset layer1 from layer2. a layer2 (and Neo as a program), that cant be reached by Smith. but above first question (how make sure Smith cant control Neo or reach Layer2) still exists.

so, i am not sure here. but its somewhat a possibility.
    Nice explanations here, i was not thinking that far in some points but that make sense, also, ti would explain why agent smith was able to control other people, other humans, by entering their minds, because everything in zion and the outer world was also another layer in the matrix that smith could with a limit, access.

But yeah, wild theories all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittahsmash View Post
    I honestly dismissed this trailer too, as being completely unimaginative and just rehashing stuff from the first movie. But then I thought about it for a minute, and thought that seemed like an extremely obvious point to make...which made me wonder if that wasn't the intent. OBVIOUSLY if it was just the first movie all over again but with different actors, it would be an absolutely insane thing to do and would be guaranteed to kill the careers of everybody involved. Nobody would be that dumb...so I went browsing around various places to see what people were saying about it, and I came across a theory that I think New Rockstars put forth best in their easter eggs video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSwqTxdOGsQ.
    Wow, this breakdown makes too much sense. It almost seems to be spoiling the movie because the trailer was so jam-packed with all these frames. It sounds like an interesting concept, but if the whole movie was laid bare in a trailer to be broken down by a YouTube channel known for over-consuming and over-analyzing media of fake worlds and stuff.......well, that might just be fucking perfect, lol.

Maybe Lana hasn't been that meta-narrativey, and there's more stuff in the movie and a deeper subtext than just looking at how we've become plugged into our own Matrix of a sort, but maybe not.

Oh yes, waiting

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    Wasn't it revealed that Morpheus was either abducted or murdered during the events of The Matrix Online? Or is that non-canon? If so, that may be the reason why he wasn't asked to return, his character no longer exists?
    That doesn't seem to be the case according to IMDB, I don't know how accurate it is though

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    That doesn't seem to be the case according to IMDB, I don't know how accurate it is though

I think that is "Morpheus" in the trailer.

I'm going with the theory that after the third movie the matrix was once again rebuilt by the architect as the what 7th? 8th? version. Seeing how the machines have Neo they replug him back in so the "one" doesn't spawn in the new matrix as what happened with every other version. They control him with NPH giving him the blue pills.

Even in the trailer "morpheus" gives him a red pill that in a mirror? looks to be a blue pill.

Calling it now, everything is fake, morpheus, trinity, the young oracle and even the people that "save" him to set him "free". It's all a simulation of memories that are "close enough" for Neo to believe it.

omg matric 2021 is so good, I can't wait