8 6.35%
  • ★★★☆ [3/4]

22 17.46%
  • ★★★★ [4/4]

90 71.43%
Page 16 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    There's plenty of ways of holding him. Spider-Man has beaten Sandman by using a shop vac.
    No. (That old jokey stuff reminds me of Molecule Man, and how powerful he really was.)
    Last edited by Shadowferal; 2021-09-20 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    No. And Sandman powered his way. (That old jokey stuff reminds me of Molecule Man, and how powerful he really was.)
    "no" what?

He got sucked into a vaccuum cleaner and Spidey handed him to the police. "jokey" or not....that's canon.

Spider-Man has beaten Sandman dozens of times now. And so have others.

Like Doc Ock:

He's powerful...but he's not unbeatable.

"no" what? He got sucked into a vaccuum cleaner and Spidey handed him to the police. "jokey" or not....that's canon.
    The pic above is canon too.
    But applying logic to comics is probably a bad idea. I mean Spidey beat Firelord too. But "we" know the behind the scene talk, and a combination of luck and Pyreus' arrogance is what really beat him.

The pic above is canon too.
    But applying logic to comics is probably a bad idea. I mean Spidey beat Firelord too. But "we" know the behind the scene talk, and a combination of luck and Pyreus' arrogance is what really beat him.
    Sure. But Spidey's got a proven track record of beating people above his weight class. Rhino, Juggernaut, etc.

And yeah, while Firelord's arrogance played a role... Spidey just was not holding back at all in that fight. Spider-Man hardly ever uses his full strength when he's fighting. And Spider-Man gets really fucking strong when he needs to. He's like the Hulk....only it isn't really anger that makes him stronger...it's desperation.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2021-09-20 at 05:09 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    It's not a "hypothetical situation"...it's literally how he thinks.

I'm not saying he should beat Marko to death. I'm saying he should convince him to turn himself in.

Yeah, Peter believes in second chances... what did Marko do to earn one?
    ... I give up. You have officially broken my desire to continue a discussion with you because it is clear you do not understand you are arguing a hypothetical situation.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It’s fiction. Having the hero defeat seemingly insurmountable odds is how you build tension while delivering a happy ending.
    Marvel actually began poking fun at itself. Beginning with "Wolverine vs Galactus." - - - Updated - - -
    Sure. But Spidey's got a proven track record of beating people above his weight class. Rhino, Juggernaut, etc. And yeah, while Firelord's arrogance played a role. Spidey just was not holding back at all in that fight. Spider-Man hardly ever uses his full strength when he's fighting. And Spider-Man gets really fucking strong when he needs to.
    That's just the writers...had they let Firelord cut loose ... Nyc would have been ashes.

You seem to really want Spidey to be unbeatable. But that's not the case. His strength level at 10 tons with a spidey sense enhancing his reflexes (fastest reflexes under nirmal conditions) combined with his agility make him the most powerful in his class. But that class doesn't go very far.
    Last edited by Shadowferal; 2021-09-20 at 05:12 PM.

Was it? Are you an expert on the symbiote now? Tell me, how many Spider-Man comics have you read where Peter had the symbiote? Because I've read them all...and I don't recall the symbiote ever telling Peter he needed to learn how to dance to humilate his ex.

Forgiving someone does not mean letting them go free. He doesn't have to kill Sandman...but he's still a dangerous criminal...as shown by him trying to kill him and Harry a few moments earlier.
    You're definitely not up to date on the symbiotes then. Hell they LITERALLY just had a huge event in the comics. They are sentient.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    ... I give up. You have officially broken my desire to continue a discussion with you because it is clear you do not understand you are arguing a hypothetical situation.
    A hypothetical situation that the character would have considered himself before letting Sandman go.

But I agree...we are obviously never going to see eye to eye here...best to stop now.

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    You're definitely not up to date on the symbiotes then. Hell they LITERALLY just had a huge event in the comics. They are sentient.
    I thought they were supposed to be an entire race... (Not sure...this was after I quit comics. And I never liked Venom to begin with anyway)

Marvel actually began poking fun at itself. Beginning with "Wolverine vs Galactus." - - - Updated - - - That's just the writers...had they let Firelord cut loose ... Nyc would have been ashes.
    It's ALWAYS the writers.

The great Stan Lee:

- - - Updated - - -

I never said they weren't sentient. They've always been sentient in the comics. Differing levels of sentience depending on which origin the writers were going with at the time... but the symbiote has always had it's own agency. When Peter first rejected it...it wanted him back. When Peter tried to kill it...it wanted vengeance...but it also still wanted Peter back. Peter's even used his sexy body to trick the symbiote:

And yeah, I've read King in Black. Also a couple of other times they've retconned the Symbiotes origins.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought they were supposed to be an entire race... (Not sure...this was after I quit comics. And I never liked Venom to begin with anyway)
    THey've had a few different origins....I don't think any of them really directly contradict the others...they just push back farther in time with every origin. So it's kind of like one writer said "They're like this" and the next writer is like "But before that they were this" and so on.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2021-09-20 at 05:29 PM.

It's ALWAYS the writers.

The great Stan Lee:

- - - Updated - - -

I never said they weren't sentient. They've always been sentient in the comics. Differing levels of sentience depending on which origin the writers were going with at the time... but the symbiote has always had it's own agency. When Peter first rejected it...it wanted him back. When Peter tried to kill it...it wanted vengeance...but it also still wanted Peter back. Peter's even used his sexy body to trick the symbiote:

And yeah, I've read King in Black. Also a couple of other times they've retconned the Symbiotes origins.

- - - Updated - - -

THey've had a few different origins....I don't think any of them really directly contradict the others...they just push back farther in time with every origin. So it's kind of like one writer said "They're like this" and the next writer is like "But before that they were this" and so on.
    You insinuated that the venom symbiote doesn't have wants and desires that influence the wearer. It's not strictly impacting the existing emotions. The symbiotes(except ones that bond at a cellular level like Carnage) are still separate entities.

If they wanted people to wait to be surprised they wouldn’t be letting Andrew talk about this shit on TV constantly. Especially with a show like Fallon that literally gets permission from Sony before they ever ask the question. People “waiting and being surprised” when these leaks are getting big talk show coverage is basically telling them to avoid the internet from last June to the release of the film.
    Your post still doesn't make any sense. In the first quote I responded to, the poster was telling Andrew to confirm the leak. If Sony didn't want anyone to be surprised, then they would have just let Andrew confirm the leak. Or Sony themselves would just come right out and confirm it.

Why would the poster ask for Sony to allow information to be provided if Sony is already allowing the information to be provided?

And even then, what you are saying still doesn't address my point. Folks, like the poster I responded to, are actively seeking spoilers. I suggested, regardless of whether or not Sony wants you to know, we could just to wait for the movie...then watch it...then everything you were wondering about the movie will be answered. Completely irrelevant if Sony wants you to know or not. You can still not actively seek spoilers, even if Sony is giving them. I know plenty of folks who avoid trailers and any other marketing information for just that reason.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    It's not a "hypothetical situation"...it's literally how he thinks.

I'm not saying he should beat Marko to death. I'm saying he should convince him to turn himself in.

Yeah, Peter believes in second chances... what did Marko do to earn one?
    It’s been a while since I’ve seen any of the original movies but does spidy ever actually try to get any of the villains to turn them selfs in?

Like isn’t he just going to leave Norman before he stabs him self and after he fights Harry for the first time he doesn’t try any cops involved just gets him to a hospital.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    It’s been a while since I’ve seen any of the original movies but does spidy ever actually try to get any of the villains to turn them selfs in?
    The difference being that Sandman was expressing regret for his actions. Norman wasn't.

He also tried to reason with Octavius

- - - Updated - - -

You insinuated that the venom symbiote doesn't have wants and desires that influence the wearer. It's not strictly impacting the existing emotions. The symbiotes(except ones that bond at a cellular level like Carnage) are still separate entities.
    No, you inferred that....I insinuated nothing of the kind. I was talking about how the venom symbiote was with Peter. When Peter had the symbiote...there wasn't a lot known about them. But it was apparent to the reader that it had some degree of sentience. It would take his body out for joyrides when he was sleeping.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2021-09-21 at 08:33 PM.

Sony is making it hard for people to avoid the Andrew stuff by having it discussed on a national talk show. And avoiding trailers is a lot easier than avoiding all the other shit. Saying, “just wait and be surprised,” isn’t much of an option. Here’s a thought. Why don’t YOU show us all how it’s done.
    I'm not arguing against any of that stuff. That's why I don't know why you keep quoting me. I agree with all the things you are saying.

I'm just saying, instead of "Actively Looking for and Specifically Requesting Spoiler Information", you can just don't. If you happen upon it, 'cause Sony keeps putting it out there, then that is what it is. But that's different from actively seeking it.

Now if you are suggesting we all should actively request spoiler information so we can know everything about a movie before it even hits the theater, then we can have a discussion about that, or just agree to disagree.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

7+ Year Old Account
    The difference being that Sandman was expressing regret for his actions. Norman wasn't.

He also tried to reason with Octavius
    Decided to look up some clips to refresh my memory's and boy do the effects not stand up.

Looks like Norman did try going for the regret/victim route though Peter wasn't really responsive.

For Oc he doesn't really seems like he cares about punishment/jail he just want's to stop the death ball, and he apparently doesn't go back to look for a body/see if he lived which seems odd.

All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Except that’s not exactly the issue here. You don’t have to actively search out shit right now. Hence me quoting you.
    You don't have to, but the guy I was responding to was doing exactly that. Hence my confusion about you quoting me.

~ Daryl Davis

Because not actively searching, as you suggested, wouldn’t stop people from being exposed to this stuff. Hence, your suggestion is worthless in this case. Even more so when they like spoilers and want more of them.
    Like I said we can agree to disagree. You think you should actively search and find everything out before the movie starts, while I find more enjoyment being surprised. To each his own.

~ Daryl Davis

It's ALWAYS the writers.

The great Stan Lee:

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

ive always been of the opinion that the symbiote is in love with peter. its like a metaphor for toxic partners
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    ive always been of the opinion that the symbiote is in love with peter. its like a metaphor for toxic partners
    There’s a fair bit of credence to that idea especially with the more recent venom comics with Eddie and venom more or less acting as a couple at times especially when there respective kids are involved.