Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

[TV] The Last Man (spoliers)

New show on FX/Hulu. The trailer:

Saw the trailer when it first aired...SO looking forward to it. Discuss.

Heyyy, someone finally made a thread about it.

I love this series honestly, I haven't got to watch it yet but back in late High School/College, my library had a Comic Book meeting start that was supposed to basically be like book clubs, they gave you comics to read and you'd discuss them once a month.

Feels so weird that the first one I went to they gave us book one of Y:The Last Man and The Walking Dead in hindsight honestly. Ended up chain reading all of Y:The Last Man instead.

I always, ALWAYS wanted this to finally get a TV adaptation. Gonna get around to watching it this week hopefully, I found the story to this far more interesting honestly.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Heyyy, someone finally made a thread about it.

I love this series honestly, I haven't got to watch it yet but back in late High School/College, my library had a Comic Book meeting start that was supposed to basically be like book clubs, they gave you comics to read and you'd discuss them once a month.

Feels so weird that the first one I went to they gave us book one of Y:The Last Man and The Walking Dead in hindsight honestly. Ended up chain reading all of Y:The Last Man instead.

I always, ALWAYS wanted this to finally get a TV adaptation. Gonna get around to watching it this week hopefully, I found the story to this far more interesting honestly.
    I just finished the first three released episodes; four words - get ready for disappointment. I never read the Graphic Novels, but the script and plot aren't great. The main characters are all over the place, which could have been interesting, but turns out to be silly and uninteresting. The plot skips most of the interesting parts of a societal collapse, moving right into the personal dilemmas of the main characters, and those issues are just...fucking stupid, really.

It barely covered how the President ascended after the crisis. It skips days/weeks with little explanation. It seems like there are plot points the producers want to get to and don't care about what they pass over to arrive.

Maybe it will get better...we'll see.

- - - Updated - - -

And I was so looking forward to this series. A legit show with female only leads (outside the one guy), post-apocalyptic genre (which I love) and they seemed to have fucked it fours ways to Sunday.
    @Jester Joe - do you recall the details of the Graphic Novel? What did they do in the original?

Like the guy above me said, they are clearly cheaping out on the "apocalypse" part and just making it a boring drama in some political offices. It literally goes from "all the men die" at the end of episode 1 to "30 days later" in the first 10 minutes of episode 2.

They found the one man by episode 3. Oh, and he just happens to be the new President's kid. It's like....ok, show's over. The Government has the dude. Obviously they'll pad it out with stupid scenarios, but so far this is the least apocalyptic apocalypse show I've ever seen.

That being said, the actors are fine. What little they show of the apocalypse is fine. It's just clear as day that they are trying to save money at every turn.

I haven't watched the episodes yet but they did skip ahead a few weeks after the event in the comic. There wasn't much about how the president ascended, just that she was the highest ranking person left alive. The comic also does focus mainly on Yorick.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I just finished the first three released episodes; four words - get ready for disappointment. I never read the Graphic Novels, but the script and plot aren't great. The main characters are all over the place, which could have been interesting, but turns out to be silly and uninteresting. The plot skips most of the interesting parts of a societal collapse, moving right into the personal dilemmas of the main characters, and those issues are just...fucking stupid, really.

It barely covered how the President ascended after the crisis. It skips days/weeks with little explanation. It seems like there are plot points the producers want to get to and don't care about what they pass over to arrive.

Maybe it will get better...we'll see.

- - - Updated - - -

And I was so looking forward to this series. A legit show with female only leads (outside the one guy), post-apocalyptic genre (which I love) and they seemed to have fucked it fours ways to Sunday.
    @Jester Joe - do you recall the details of the Graphic Novel? What did they do in the original?
    From what I recall, as Jotaux said, they do skip ahead to Yorick basically hiding out trying to sneak across the US, realizing that he needs to stay hidden.

Ultimately the story isn't just about the apocalypse part, it's more about Yorick and his decisions and coming to terms with what the situation is for him.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I haven't watched the episodes yet but they did skip ahead a few weeks after the event in the comic. There wasn't much about how the president ascended, just that she was the highest ranking person left alive. The comic also does focus mainly on Yorick.
    I guess that's what I get from not knowing about the comic it's based on. It just seemed like such a fantastic premise, strong female lead potential, women running things, etc - I was so psyched. And then it turned out to be about some fuckwad with a pet monkey.

- - - Updated - - -

From what I recall, as Jotaux said, they do skip ahead to Yorick basically hiding out trying to sneak across the US, realizing that he needs to stay hidden.

Ultimately the story isn't just about the apocalypse part, it's more about Yorick and his decisions and coming to terms with what the situation is for him.
    I can see how that's going to develop. Damn - was looking forward to something else, not that my perspective was ever justified, lol.

I guess that's what I get from not knowing about the comic it's based on. It just seemed like such a fantastic premise, strong female lead potential, women running things, etc - I was so psyched. And then it turned out to be about some fuckwad with a pet monkey.
    This Yorick guy is so dumb too. A bunch of escaped prisoners and the secret agent chick are probably the only competent people left in the world.

- - - Updated - - -

I can see how that's going to develop. Damn - was looking forward to something else, not that my perspective was ever justified, lol.
    Whoa dont talk bad about poor Ampersand.

But yes Yorick is not the brightest guy, it's part of what makes it great going forward in my opinion overall.

It's basically Agent 355 the show really for now I imagine. There's more going forward though.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Whoa dont talk bad about poor Ampersand.

But yes Yorick is not the brightest guy, it's part of what makes it great going forward in my opinion overall.

It's basically Agent 355 the show really for now I imagine. There's more going forward though.
    But it's all going to be about the idiot with the monkey, rather than a kick-ass women rule the post-apocalyptic world, right?

But it's all going to be about the idiot with the monkey, rather than a kick-ass women rule the post-apocalyptic world, right?
    It's both really, but a lot revolves around him in the end yes. Minor spoilers that's probably obvious after 3 episodes I would think, I only watched 1 so far but, it's quite a bit of him being impulsive and idealistic while Agent 355 keeps having to either try to bail him out, or keep him safe as far as I recall. He does slowly come to terms along the way though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just watched all 4 episodes currently available and I think it’s pretty good but the writing is questionable at times like with the blatant republican vs democrat shite in the third episode, I mean if something literally killed every single man on the face of the earth in an instant id imagine petty political party shit would be the last of peoples’ concerns?

The first episode was definitely the best so far it set the whole thing up well, the rest of it so far feels very similar to the walking dead and I worry that that’s gonna just be what this show is trying to be

Also yorik is a little cringey like why is he written to be such a douchebag? I don’t think they should have made the main character a comedy relief, that’s a weird writing decision

Also this show uses wayyyyy too much fisheye lens, it gets to be really distracting during some scenes

Other than that i think it’s pretty good, not great but not terrible. Looking forward to the rest of th season
    Last edited by Ladey Gags; 2021-09-21 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladey Gags View Post
    I just watched all 4 episodes currently available and I think it’s pretty good but the writing is questionable at times like with the blatant republican vs democrat shite in the third episode, I mean if something literally killed every single man on the face of the earth in an instant id imagine petty political party shit would be the last of peoples’ concerns?
    Didn't we just have a pandemic where wearing a mask became a huge political issue? I think the one thing we can all count on is republican vs democrat shite...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Didn't we just have a pandemic where wearing a mask became a huge political issue? I think the one thing we can all count on is republican vs democrat shite...
    Well yeah but for the vast majority of people the coronavirus pandemic wasn’t really visible beyond what they saw on TV so there was a lot of skepticism, I don’t think it can be compared to half of every species of mammal dying off in an instant

Quote Originally Posted by phattsao View Post
    Like the guy above me said, they are clearly cheaping out on the "apocalypse" part and just making it a boring drama in some political offices. It literally goes from "all the men die" at the end of episode 1 to "30 days later" in the first 10 minutes of episode 2.

They found the one man by episode 3. Oh, and he just happens to be the new President's kid. It's like....ok, show's over. The Government has the dude. Obviously they'll pad it out with stupid scenarios, but so far this is the least apocalyptic apocalypse show I've ever seen.

That being said, the actors are fine. What little they show of the apocalypse is fine. It's just clear as day that they are trying to save money at every turn.
    The source material is obviously better but was written so many years ago that current political climate was not even remotely what is in the comics. I have not watched the show, nor will I based on what the producers have said they are including. Yorick's mom is a congresswoman in the comics before the event and it seems like they just bypassed everything just to jump start the series. The comic is Yorick trying to find his girlfriend, sister, and mom. It's basically a long walking story of Yorick. Not going to spoil it but the ending of the comics is dumb.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goliad View Post
    The source material is obviously better but was written so many years ago that current political climate was not even remotely what is in the comics. I have not watched the show, nor will I based on what the producers have said they are including. Yorick's mom is a congresswoman in the comics before the event and it seems like they just bypassed everything just to jump start the series. The comic is Yorick trying to find his girlfriend, sister, and mom. It's basically a long walking story of Yorick. Not going to spoil it but the ending of the comics is dumb.
    Then that seals me ever coming back to finish it. I was hoping for so much more, and it seems this disappoints those that knew what to expect.

Then that seals me ever coming back to finish it. I was hoping for so much more, and it seems this disappoints those that knew what to expect.
    I would give it a try. I liked it back in the day for the most part except the ending. I think I have been spoiled by so much good writing that when stuff ends poorly I tend to be harsh. I would never discourage anyone from trying something as everyone has different tastes. Just don't read the graphic novels first.

7+ Year Old Account
    What a disappointing show. Great premise to start then just transformed into a vehicle for yet another vanilla drama. Fucking waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Goliad View Post
    The source material is obviously better but was written so many years ago that current political climate was not even remotely what is in the comics.
    The comic was written during the Bush years. Partisan idiocy is nothing new. For some people, asshole behaviour is all they have left.

I haven't seen the show yet. One of my customers was raving about it. I'll probably check it out at some point but I was never a huge fan of the comic.