Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Texas Gov. Abbott sends miles of cars along border to deter migrants

**facepalm**

"We'll throw everything including the kitchen sink to stop people trying to escape hardships but how DARE you insist we wear a piece of cloth over our mouth and nose to prevent the spread of a deadly virus!"

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty confident this week will show a decrease, but it will mostly depend on how many deaths Florida adds as one of the top states in terms of deaths. I believe their cases started decreasing a couple weeks ago (along with California and possibly Texas), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    ...does he think that you can't climb over a fuckin car? Jesus christ, I'm used to the performative stupidity to a point but like...literally what the fuckin fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Turning the border into a car park is slightly less dumb than playing Planet of the Apes with immigrants.

It's not racist, because the monkeys were on the horses.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty confident this week will show a decrease, but it will mostly depend on how many deaths Florida adds as one of the top states in terms of deaths. I believe their cases started decreasing a couple weeks ago (along with California and possibly Texas), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Yeah, this week or at the very least next week. Obviously deaths lag behind infections by a few weeks, and the report of those deaths as COVID deaths lags behind that a bit more.

My big worry is still the timing. Last year, the summer wave hit its high mark in late July and cases started rising again for the winter wave by early September. Deaths were behind that a bit, but started declining at the beginning of August and rising again in mid-October.

Here we are in late September and we maybe have just reached the top of the death curve for summer. It doesn't really bode well for winter if we go into it with positivity rates still sky-high. Let's hope that enough kids get the hopefully-soon-to-be-authorized vaccine to blunt that inevitable winter spike.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    My big worry is still the timing. Last year, the summer wave hit its high mark in late July and cases started rising again for the winter wave by early September. Deaths were behind that a bit, but started declining at the beginning of August and rising again in mid-October.

Here we are in late September and we maybe have just reached the top of the death curve for summer. It doesn't really bode well for winter if we go into it with positivity rates still sky-high. Let's hope that enough kids get the hopefully-soon-to-be-authorized vaccine to blunt that inevitable winter spike.
    This has been my fear as well and why I've been hoping the approval for under-12's to be vaccinated will come through sooner rather than later--at least for emergency use. Last year we didn't have the Delta variant and we're starting the school year with more than double the number of cases.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    ...does he think that you can't climb over a fuckin car? Jesus christ, I'm used to the performative stupidity to a point but like...literally what the fuckin fuck.
    I would have thought, being from the South, he would have seen Dukes of Hazzard enough times to know you can just butt slide over the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    EDIT: Oh, did you mean "campaign" donations? Like "send your money to TrumpIsBroke.rus and it will totes be campaign donations I promise lolz"? Yeah he could try that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It is illegal, but Trump is a famous scam artist, so he will have no problem skirting the law in order to get money from suckers and losers.
    I don't know if you remember, but I mentioned this earlier. He hasn't officially declared his candidacy yet. He can take direct contributions as far as I'm aware until he does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    I don't know if you remember, but I mentioned this earlier. He hasn't officially declared his candidacy yet. He can take direct contributions as far as I'm aware until he does.
    I honestly have very little knowledge on election and campaign laws when it comes to donations. I'll take your word for it.

This has been my fear as well and why I've been hoping the approval for under-12's to be vaccinated will come through sooner rather than later--at least for emergency use. Last year we didn't have the Delta variant and we're starting the school year with more than double the number of cases.
    Pfizer said it cleared their testing for 5-12 and they'll be submitting for emergency approval by the end of the month, so hopefully the FDA moves quickly once they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Shouldn't those get slapped with gift taxes or something? How is it one can keep grifting without even being candidate for political position?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Shouldn't those get slapped with gift taxes or something? How is it one can keep grifting without even being candidate for political position?
    I think it's because he's running it as a Political Action Committee (PAC) or Super PAC instead of a campaign, and PACs don't have nearly as many limitations on what you can spend the money on as campaigns do.
    *edit, yeah he's creating a superPac (possibly done already since this is from Feb:
    Former President Donald Trump told political advisers Thursday that he’s chosen longtime ally Corey Lewandowski to run a yet-to-be-formed super PAC as part of his expanding post-presidential political apparatus, according to multiple people familiar with the discussion.
    SuperPacs are really loosey goosey with their money:
    A new type of PAC was created after the U.S. Court of Appeals decision in Speechnow v. FEC in 2010. These PACs make no contributions to candidates or parties. They do, however make independent expenditures in federal races - running ads or sending mail or communicating in other ways with messages that specifically advocate the election or defeat of a specific candidate. There are no limits or restrictions on the sources of funds that may be used for these expenditures.
    So it makes sense for him to put off officially declaring himself as long as he can.
    Last edited by solinari6; 2021-09-22 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    I think it's because he's running it as a Political Action Committee (PAC) or Super PAC instead of a campaign, and PACs don't have nearly as many limitations on what you can spend the money on as campaigns do.
    This. Mixture of PAC's and non-profits are raking in the dollars - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...tiny-criticism

10+ Year Old Account
    Countdown to the migrants realizing exactly how easy it is to bring along a slim jim or the like and some basic hand tools to hotwire a vehicle?

Hell, they could bring a can of gas if they're leaving those vehicles there dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Countdown to the migrants realizing exactly how easy it is to bring along a slim jim or the like and some basic hand tools to hotwire a vehicle?

Hell, they could bring a can of gas if they're leaving those vehicles there dry.
    I imagine they've got emergency kits in them as well.

I feel like this is where we insert the Tom Hardy, "This is bait" meme, if memes were allowed. Because those sure seem like pointless bait vehicles.

I imagine they've got emergency kits in them as well.

I feel like this is where we insert the Tom Hardy, "This is bait" meme, if memes were allowed. Because those sure seem like pointless bait vehicles.
    According to the article, it's miles of "Texas Department of Safety" vehicles. I mean, these aren't needed for safety reasons elsewhere? There's really an excess of MILES of safety vehicles in Texas?

10+ Year Old Account
    According to the article, it's miles of "Texas Department of Safety" vehicles. I mean, these aren't needed for safety reasons elsewhere? There's really an excess of MILES of safety vehicles in Texas?
    You're talking about a state that went into a deep freeze due to its reliance on fossil fuels and then immediately proceeded to identify renewables as the problem.

Good or sensible administration is not a thing in Texas. Hence why their legislators get paid near to minimum wage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Good or sensible administration is not a thing in Texas.
    Abbott and Cawthorn are unfortunately making a compelling argument that being a paraplegic somehow also makes you mentally handicapped somehow.

Which is weird, because I haven't seen anyone else with no/limited use of their legs have these kinds of problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    "There are no limits or restrictions on the sources of funds that may be used for these expenditures."
    But there are limits on what it can be spent on. Trump cannot use the PAC money to, say, pay off his loans on his businesses directly. He needs to arrange a political get-together that happens to be in his hotel that happens to charge bigly.

Speaking of Mary.
    I know everyone knows, but I'd still like to remind you that:
    We got Al Capone on taxes.

There is always hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    Speaking of Mary.
    I know everyone knows, but I'd still like to remind you that:
    We got Al Capone on taxes.

There is always hope.
    In 2021 he would not since the IRS has been gutted.

10+ Year Old Account
    They touch the car, they can be shot if the owner feels threatened.
    It's effectively a can license.
    You can hunt MexiCANs, Puerto riCANs, and all sorts of brown people who speak taco gibberish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

https://www.mlive.com/news/flint/202...int-crash.html

"Trump Unity Bridge" pulled by the Trump Ambulance gets into accident at an intersection. Apparently someone ran a red and they were in the wrong, not the Trump folks. Nobody seriously injured or anything.

Man, is there anything Trump's name is involved with that isn't a dumpster fire/car crash?