Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I think the logical thing to do at this point is to pass a federal law authorizing any citizen to sue those involved with or connected to the January 6th insurrection, in the same way that the Texas anti-abortion law allows.

Perhaps then the penny will drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    I think the logical thing to do at this point is to pass a federal law authorizing any citizen to sue those involved with or connected to the January 6th insurrection, in the same way that the Texas anti-abortion law allows.

Make it legal for anyone in the United States to sue anyone who spanks their kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    sue anyone that puts ketchup on steak
    as long as we're going to let people sue others over things that don't cause them harm, they just don't like someone else does it.
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    Finally, we can address the pressing issues of our day. Shit should straight up be illegal.

(Though real, eat steak however you want. I'll still judge you, but you do you, fam.)

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    I know you're joking but this is America and things just as stupid do happen.
    Anyone remember the lawsuit with Redbull being sued over not actually giving us wings?
    Oyus.
    It happened.
    And they settled.

AKA they were pissed that someone else sued for the bounties, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Finally, we can address the pressing issues of our day. Shit should straight up be illegal.

(Though real, eat steak however you want. I'll still judge you, but you do you, fam.)
    Eh, not as bad as having it so well done you might as well as wear the steak as footwear. With ketchup.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post

I’ll say it again: California, ny, and Illinois (especially) should pass a copy paste of the abortion law but with replace abortion with gun sales and see what happens.

Remember, this doesn’t criminalize abortion, so this law wouldn’t criminalize gun sales.

All hypocrisy needs to be exposed on the right and the Supreme Court.
    Last edited by Noxx79; 2021-09-22 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    AKA they were pissed that someone else sued for the bounties, probably.
    I would guess they wanted to wait strategically so that the law would not be tested so close to election, I think their plan would be to reverse Roe. V. Wade after the 2022 election. These lawsuits may speed up their timeline though at this point it's not a question of if but when the supreme court will reverse Roe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I would guess they wanted to wait strategically so that the law would not be tested so close to election, I think their plan would be to reverse Roe. V. Wade after the 2022 election. These lawsuits may speed up their timeline though at this point it's not a question of if but when the supreme court will reverse Roe.
    Before this lawsuit, the threat of it and long drawn out and costly court battles were the point. Selective enforcement is key. Unless you were fabulously wealthy and/or well connected you effectively lost your right to an abortion. If I recall, the defendants in this are unable to get attorneys fees and shit even if found not guilty. So even if you "win" in court, you're out the money to your lawyers. Draw it out over time, costs a fortune, and still lose all your money when you win. You're fucked.

Don't recall if this was mentioned earlier, but this is fucking hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...suits-1230248/

What do these three people have in common: a disbarred Arkansas attorney under federal house arrest for tax evasion; another disbarred attorney, this one from Illinois, who lost his license for harassing and threatening other lawyers; and an attempted fire bomber from Kansas who served time in federal prison for conspiracy? Here’s the answer: All three of them have heeded Texas’s call for legal anarchy and filed complaints against a San Antonio abortion provider for violating SB8, the state’s ban on post-6 week abortions.
    Man, two disbarred attorneys and a guy who attempted to fire bomb a building.

These are great banner carriers for the Texas law. I hope Greg Abbott meets with them personal, in front of cameras, to thank them.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Looks like Florida is following Texas…

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-lawma...180900844.html
    I'm 110% here for Democratic states pushing similar legislation. Get Republicans trying to overturn them through the courts so that it doesn't matter which side "Wins" in the courts, the end-result is all these blatantly bad-faith laws getting struck down.

FL has to bring its population back up after it's been getting people needlessly killed somehow though, so if that means they force women to act as unwilling baby factories then so be it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get Republicans trying to overturn them through the courts so that it doesn't matter which side "Wins" in the courts, the end-result is all these blatantly bad-faith laws getting struck down.
    Stop making the mistake of presuming that Republicans have any intellectual consistancy.

They will cheerfully strike down the Democratic states' laws while upholding the Republican ones using the most tortured legal logic available.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Stop making the mistake of presuming that Republicans have any intellectual consistancy.

They will cheerfully strike down the Democratic states' laws while upholding the Republican ones using the most tortured legal logic available.
    which only further undermines and delegitimizes the courts. which I would say is the point but weather that succeeds or not is up in the air.

They don't need any. They just need to be dumb enough to take the bait and get precedent set to undermine their own legislation.

10+ Year Old Account
    They just need to be dumb enough to take the bait and get precedent set to undermine their own legislation.
    Precedent doesn't mean anything when they will simply ignore it.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

They don't need any. They just need to be dumb enough to take the bait and get precedent set to undermine their own legislation.
    You're giving them too much credit. It doesn't matter if there's a double standard, because the people setting it up (the supreme court) would be the ones tasked with ruling on it. And there's literally nothing that requires them to rule consistently. Human rights in this country are fucked as long as these people have this much power and Dems are unwilling/unable to legislate around this at a federal level.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2021-09-23 at 01:39 AM.

Precedent doesn't mean anything when they will simply ignore it.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Abortion rights are about to die in the United States. We're seeing TX passing a sweeping ban on abortions as well as putting bounty's on anyone involved in the abortion. Doesn't matter if parts of it will be overturned by SCOTUS, the abortion ban itself won't.

And more states are currently working to pass TX-style abortion ban laws.

Looking to 2022/2023, we'll probably lose the House and the Senate. We'll then see national bills attempting to ban abortion. Biden won't sign them, but they'll be circulating. And we'll Abortion on the ballot for the Presidential election in 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Biden won't sign them, but they'll be circulating.
    "Alright, Jack, here's the deal: you put the For the People Act on my desk, and we'll talk about signing this for you, ok?"

At the very least he should offer the GOP a trade that they won't take so their base can feel their joy turn to ash in their mouth
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis