Page 20 of 93 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I am surprised why all the bookie sites have PSG as the favourite (along with City). Sure, the summer transfer window was good considering the names, but there is nothing that says that this team will perform to its standard.

The defense on paper is good but defensively not close to world class. Hakimi is an offensive fullback, Kimpembe is a hit or miss, Ramos while one of the best leaders in football he has been injured a lot and is getting old. Marquinhos is quality.

The midfield leaves a lot of questions aswell. Verratti is for sure world class but then the rest? Herrera is average at most, Gueye okay denfesively but I don't see him as a starter in a team like PSG. Has Danilo ever been useful on a football pitch, I have never seen him done everything of significance, if we don't count in his dramatic rolling around with eyes open at the Euros (he got punched yes, but the reaction looked so stupid).

The front three needs no introduction and they will for sure score goals, but I don't think it's enough. Bayern's tactic 2020 was to outscore opponents, but they had a world class midfield and the whole team worked their arse off. I can't see this PSG team putting in the same amount of physical work you need if you want to overload your opponents, I see them trying to win with skill/talent instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Regarding Barca Bayern (we need some other talk than all this United talk! ):

Bayern played in first or second gear. They were sluggish with their final passes and finishing, could/should have been more goals. It also seemed too easy for Bayern to control the game. I would have understood this type of dominance if Bayern would have had one of their best days but now it looked like a walk in the park.

This is of course alarming for Barca. They didn't lose 3-0 to a Bayern team that was very good. They lost 3-0 to a Bayern team that just did what they had to do. I was expecting a tougher battle in the midfield, because their midfield is of good quality with De Jong, Pedri and Busquets. I also thought that Depay would be a bigger issue. Remember saying that Bayern played through Barca's press way too easily. Well I am satisfied, will be interesting to see what Bayern can do when they hit full gear!

Some of the Bayern players, especially the midfield, need rest. After the international break there were two big games, Leipzig and Barca, but now the schedule will follow with Bochum and Gruether Furth, two newly promoted teams. Hopefully these games will allow Bayern to rest the key players so they can charge their batteries.

I think with Champions League it comes down more to who has the best form during the spring. Chelsea hit that sweet spot with getting Tuchel in and becoming a machine. It's hard to predict who will look the strongest at the end of the season so it's easy to just go based on who has spent the most and so on. I get why City and PSG are viewed as favorites but if we're being honest they're both loser clubs in the context of CL and I think there's a couple of other clubs that have shown more of a winning mentality in CL that are probably more likely to win.

Guardiola is a strange one. He's not stupid. He knew what he said would annoy the City fans.
    Now offering to step aside?

The romantic in me, thinks he'll go back to Barca at the next opportunity and help them rebuild.

City will be fine without him.
    Last edited by Tommy T; 2021-09-17 at 04:33 PM.

Sad to see Jimmy Greaves died today, the word legend gets used a lot to describe players, but this guy certainly earned the that tag. Spurs all time leading goal scorer, and club ambassador. Put in some performances for Chelsea and West Ham too as well as England, the imost goals scored in the English top flight that may never be surpassed. He was a fun pundit too, really modernized how that was done.

He was also my Grandads favorite player, I mentioned this to him as I walked past him collecting a medal at some under 11s event with about 100 other kids back in the day and he paused and asked if my granddad was here, when I pointed him out in the crowd they smiled and waved to each other, one of the best 15 seconds of my life!

I hope the fans at todays game will recognize and pay their respects to his brilliance as a player and a man, RIP Greavsie!
    Last edited by Marleycat; 2021-09-19 at 02:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still robbed of a World Cup winner's medal, one of the best strikers of all time. RIP Greavsie.

Meanwhile, De Gea just saved a penalty.. what alternative dimension did I just step into?
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Bringing players on to take pens...

Never been a fan.
    Fuck off Moyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn’t jinx Lingard this time

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Jesse Lingard getting the arm around the shoulder from Ronaldo for delivering a winner, what a world.

Still....All the potential of the squad up front and even defensively now with Varane and at the heart of the team in midfield is Mctominay and Fred.

That is so disappointing. And for all the gloss up front its not gonna matter in the big games when you need to be able to just hold the ball and see out a win.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Jesse Lingard getting the arm around the shoulder from Ronaldo for delivering a winner, what a world.

Still....All the potential of the squad up front and even defensively now with Varane and at the heart of the team in midfield is Mctominay and Fred.

That is so disappointing. And for all the gloss up front its not gonna matter in the big games when you need to be able to just hold the ball and see out a win.
    To be fair I thought mctominay had a good game, wasn't overly defensive it was Fred again, I would bet we had more attacks created by varane bypassing him and running 20 yards than he created.

I realise I've only see him in one or two games but is his name noorgard at Brentford looks like a cheap one we could get. If you watch motd from Saturday ( I'd been out and was watching drunk at like 3am because I'd decided that wasn't late enough so it might not be him) they highlighted him. No idea of his consistency but that's what Fred should be doing

Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    To be fair I thought mctominay had a good game, wasn't overly defensive it was Fred again, I would bet we had more attacks created by varane bypassing him and running 20 yards than he created.

I realise I've only see him in one or two games but is his name noorgard at Brentford looks like a cheap one we could get. If you watch motd from Saturday ( I'd been out and was watching drunk at like 3am because I'd decided that wasn't late enough so it might not be him) they highlighted him. No idea of his consistency but that's what Fred should be doing
    I have no idea what kind of role Fred is supposed to have in the Manchester United team. He is not a defensive player, he is not used as an offensive player. He aint a good passer except from doing "safe" passes. He doesnt find the offensive passes. He cleary dont fit in anymore. I prefer Matic much more, cause he can find space in between the lines and make decent passes.

This is quite possibly the best Chelsea side I've ever seen.

A defence in their prime, with a captain who has won it all at club level.
    A world class midfield who are press resistant, creative & resilient.
    An attack brimming with potential, lead by a world class striker.

and then there's the manager who has impressed me the most. What a man. What a mind for tactics. Our best asset.
    Looking forward to every minute seeing this team at the moment.

Chelsea 0 - Aston Villa 1

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B View Post
    This is quite possibly the best Chelsea side I've ever seen.

A defence in their prime, with a captain who has won it all at club level.
    A world class midfield who are press resistant, creative & resilient.
    An attack brimming with potential, lead by a world class striker.

and then there's the manager who has impressed me the most. What a man. What a mind for tactics. Our best asset.
    Looking forward to every minute seeing this team at the moment.

Chelsea 0 - Aston Villa 1
    Nah, Werner will do his assist and miss a few 100% chances.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    liverpool just ticking away getting dem points.

That is not good.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Man United looking very much the same as last season
    They don't look convincing at all.

Just hope we're the ones to end their away record on 28th November.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    liverpool just ticking away getting dem points.

That is not good.
    For a team who hasn't spent much, they're doing well.
    Will be interesting to see how they handle the AFCON.

15+ Year Old Account
    <Insert EFL Cup isn't important statement here>

Nah but really, I wasn't able to watch the match tonight so I don't know how bad Man United played, but you'd expect Man United to beat West Ham...

Oh well, one less cup competition to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    <Insert EFL Cup isn't important statement here>

Nah but really, I wasn't able to watch the match tonight so I don't know how bad Man United played, but you'd expect Man United to beat West Ham...

Oh well, one less cup competition to worry about.
    You say one less cup to worry about but realistically I'd say this was one out of 2 we had a decent shot at winning this season.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    You say one less cup to worry about but realistically I'd say this was one out of 2 we had a decent shot at winning this season.
    Oh, I agree with you completely. I just meant that now United are out more focus can be put on other things. But the chance of any silverware is again looking very slim.

10+ Year Old Account
    I expected a stronger team than that, disappointing but for all the 'shots', we never really looked like scoring. Same old can't do anything against 11 players behind the ball shit. They missed like 3 absolute open goals in the last 10 minutes, while their goal came from a massive individual error from Van De Beek. Was hardly a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I expected a stronger team than that, disappointing but for all the 'shots', we never really looked like scoring. Same old can't do anything against 11 players behind the ball shit. They missed like 3 absolute open goals in the last 10 minutes, while their goal came from a massive individual error from Van De Beek. Was hardly a classic.
    United have gone from being reliant on Bruno to being reliant on Bruno and Ronaldo. Solskjaer's biggest issue is he's so reliant on individual moments of brilliance, that when that doesn't happen, the team ends up looking pretty toothless. It's not for a lack of talent, just a lack of cohesion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    United have gone from being reliant on Bruno to being reliant on Bruno and Ronaldo. Solskjaer's biggest issue is he's so reliant on individual moments of brilliance, that when that doesn't happen, the team ends up looking pretty toothless. It's not for a lack of talent, just a lack of cohesion.
    Mata and Greenwood had their moments, even Matic looked really good, but lack of cohesion is kind of inevitable when you play an 11 with barely 90 minutes between them.