Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I've provided you multiple sources backing up my arguments, bruh.

As with strawmen, I don't think you understand the meaning of hypocrisy either.
    All you've done is attack strawmen. Run along (5th time).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    If you want a living wage (to some), stop working at McDonalds thinking you deserve one that people busting their behinds in factories make. It's ridiculous.
    What makes you think I work at McDonalds?

Also, no, thanks, I think everyone should be able to live in a basic modest level of comfort and security, no matter what jobs they're working. I don't want to foster a level of human suffering to make me feel better about slightly reduced suffering, and convincing myself that means I'm okay.

Which is what you're arguing, even though you try and dress it up differently.

10+ Year Old Account
    All you've done is attack strawmen. Run along (5th time).
    Wasn't a strawman, you've been repeatedly claiming poverty is a result of people engaging in wasteful financial decisions and providing no evidence for it besides your feels, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    What makes you think I work at McDonalds?

Also, no, thanks, I think everyone should be able to live in a basic modest level of comfort and security, no matter what jobs they're working. I don't want to foster a level of human suffering to make me feel better about slightly reduced suffering, and convincing myself that means I'm okay.

Which is what you're arguing, even though you try and dress it up differently.
    I'm not saying "you". Just like $20 an hour in my place of employment isn't "me".

I read the news articles all the time. Fast food workers wanting to make what factory workers make, etc.

We can disagree about who should make a livable wage. Next thing we know, people delivering newspapers will start demanding factory wages.

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn't a strawman, you've been repeatedly claiming poverty is a result of people engaging in wasteful financial decisions and providing no evidence for it besides your feels, so...
    Man, you're like Mr. Strawman.

*yawn*

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not saying "you". Just like $20 an hour in my place of employment isn't "me".

I read the news articles all the time. Fast food workers wanting to make what factory workers make, etc.

We can disagree about who should make a livable wage. Next thing we know, people delivering newspapers will start demanding factory wages.
    What makes you think factory worker wages won't increase as well?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

They have. Were you not paying attention to my comments or were you just too self-involved in making strawmans to actually read them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, you're like Mr. Strawman.

*yawn*
    *gestures*

There are plenty of people who made the decision not to do something with their life and work at minimum wage places then complain because they can't afford to live yet they try living out of their means.
    Good to know this was just idle lying on your part, I guess.

*gestures*
    Yeah because that's the exact same thing.

No wonder you're so confused!

10+ Year Old Account
    They have.
    Not what I asked.

I'm asking why you think "but factory workers" is even remotely relevant when the issue is not being able to make a living wage, as opposed to people desiring other people's wages like you're claiming.

If it is full time employment, it deserves a living wage. Period.

Don't have to do that. It's a 5 minute drive from the apartments in town to my place of employment
    We're not talking about you, I thought?

Or are you just projecting your own experiences onto everyone else?

Man, add Necromantic to the ever-growing list of posters who won't discuss honestly like Machismo, dribbles, and many others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Man, add Necromantic to the ever-growing list of posters who won't discuss honestly like Machismo, dribbles, and many others.
    People really seem to have a problem internalizing their own insignificance.

Like I get that it's kind of grating for the data not to reflect one's lived experience, but most of us have actually grown up and accepted that humanity is a social species rather than persisting in childish beliefs like the Just World wherein the only people in poverty are the people that "deserve it".

Not what I asked.

I'm asking why you think "but factory workers" is even remotely relevant when the issue is not being able to make a living wage, as opposed to people desiring other people's wages like you're claiming.

If it is full time employment, it deserves a living wage. Period.
    No, that's exactly what you asked.

Here, I'll show you

Just because you work somewhere 40 hours does not mean you deserve a livable wage. We can agree to disagree on that because it's very sad people believe this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    We're not talking about you, I thought?

Or are you just projecting your own experiences onto everyone else?
    I never said that was me personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because you work somewhere 40 hours does not mean you deserve a livable wage.
    And as Endus said, this is just a poor man's version of misanthropy.

And that... is a poor way to concede a discussion.

*yawn*

*gesture*

I never said that was me personally.
    Weird, it sounded that way given the odd specificity of it. It's also totally pointless since that's an experience that a scant few might actually enjoy.

I guess when your hypotheticals are all as rosy and positive as possible, they always look good.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, it's just you admitting that you're fine with people being exploited and being left to suffer said exploitation because you have it pretty good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not as poor as just ignoring evidence that's inconvenient to your argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because you work somewhere 40 hours does not mean you deserve a livable wage. We can agree to disagree on that because it's very sad people believe this.
    "Very sad" that people don't want to see others suffer?

Who knew that basic human empathy was something to mock and deride.

10+ Year Old Account
    You beat me to it. Now he's just onto that nonsense that the 40 hour work week is a "part-time gig" and people should just work harder to survive. Kind of takes away from the people are in financial straits due to their own decisions.

Pretty good self own on his part.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Weird, it sounded that way given the odd specificity of it. It's also totally pointless since that's an experience that a scant few might actually enjoy.

I guess when your hypotheticals are all as rosy and positive as possible, they always look good.
    Then you didn't get the point.

People make their own choices. I live in a state where people complain often about things that are entirely their own fault. I know this cannot be exclusive to my state. It would be absurd to think so.

I mean, it's just you admitting that you're fine with people being exploited and being left to suffer said exploitation because you have it pretty good.
    That's a position I never held. I never said how well I have it. I purposefully did that because silly people LOVE to jump on the bandwagon and insinuate that you do just because you feel that if people want livable wages, they should stop flipping burgers. I also wouldn't go as far as saying people are exploited.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    "Very sad" that people don't want to see others suffer?

Who knew that basic human empathy was something to mock and deride.
    People choosing to work at Burger King instead of all the other places they could work that pay a lot more is not them suffering. They made their choices. I have no empathy for people who choose to do this then pretend they're the victim.

This isn't to say everyone does this, but I see more of this than I care to.