Poll: You decide: New class, Class skins, 4th specs, or New combos

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Honestly, I'd love to have all of those options except class skins, simply because not every class would be as well represented, I don't think.

A new class is always welcome to me. Tinker, Spellbreaker, Dark Ranger, Bard, whatever. I like to see how different classes play, how fun they are compared to others, or see what flashy stuff they have. In all honesty, it's about time we had another class that uses ranged weapons, so Tinker would be perfect for it.

4th/an additional spec for other classes outside of the Druid would be neat. You could use it to give classes an extra role or a different playstyle Something along the lines of:
    Death Knight - Flame - Fire-based, Bolvar-inspired sped that is a DoT/Burst hybrid (kinda like fire mages, I guess)
    Demon Hunter - Sacrifice - Ranged spec that uses Legion Inquisitors for inspiration with good CC
    Hunter - Beastmaster - Undo Survival back into a ranged spec and give it all to the new Beastmaster spec like Rexxar
    Mage - Time - Chronomancy spec inspired by the Bronze Dragonflight. Ranged DPS that also has some offheal capability in a similar vein to ret paladins
    Monk - Skydancer - Take fistweaving and put it into its own spec, similar to Holy/Disc Priests
    Paladin - Inquisition - Ranged holy spec, basically.
    Priest - Twilight - A mix of holy and shadow magic, similar to a boomkin
    Rogue - No idea, actually. Got the archtypical Assassin, Pirate and Ninja specs covered.
    Shaman - Earthwarden - 2H tanking spec that makes use of Earth Shield and some other stuff.
    Warlock - Also have no idea. Demons don't have much to go on besides possible Necromancy, but then that'd probably just end up being a reskinned Demonology.
    Warrior - Blademaster - Fast-paced Samuro spec that can turn invisible, create mirror images, walk on water, and other Anime stuff.

New class combos might as well be a thing. Ever since Pandaren and Monks arrived, it has canonized the fact that an outside race can teach another race an outside class. Why wouldn't the Dwarves teach the Gnomes to be paladins? Or the Tauren teaching Blood Elves about druidism? It always seemed stupid to me that races inside a faction still have class limitations when there's class trainers of different races everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    I loved that game - it was very flawed, but it was also just a victim of its times - it came out at peak MMO fever when others (wow) had such a tight grasp on the genre, it was near impossible to make a dent.
    Yea, it's too bad! It was a fun game, but WoW was peaking right when it came out. It was during the Wrath era I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I always thought they were the parallel of the High Elf White Lion.

Man, fond memories of that game. I loved the physical blocking in PVP, it made it so much more dynamic being an Tank that actually blocks the enemy front line from charging past you.
    The PVP was great in Warhammer! I forgot about the physical blocking. WoW should do something like that, at least in battlegrounds (probably too much griefing for everywhere).

Quote Originally Posted by Guyviroth View Post
    Honestly, I'd love to have all of those options except class skins, simply because not every class would be as well represented, I don't think.

A new class is always welcome to me. Tinker, Spellbreaker, Dark Ranger, Bard, whatever. I like to see how different classes play, how fun they are compared to others, or see what flashy stuff they have. In all honesty, it's about time we had another class that uses ranged weapons, so Tinker would be perfect for it.

4th/an additional spec for other classes outside of the Druid would be neat. You could use it to give classes an extra role or a different playstyle Something along the lines of:
    Death Knight - Flame - Fire-based, Bolvar-inspired sped that is a DoT/Burst hybrid (kinda like fire mages, I guess)
    Demon Hunter - Sacrifice - Ranged spec that uses Legion Inquisitors for inspiration with good CC
    Hunter - Beastmaster - Undo Survival back into a ranged spec and give it all to the new Beastmaster spec like Rexxar
    Mage - Time - Chronomancy spec inspired by the Bronze Dragonflight. Ranged DPS that also has some offheal capability in a similar vein to ret paladins
    Monk - Skydancer - Take fistweaving and put it into its own spec, similar to Holy/Disc Priests
    Paladin - Inquisition - Ranged holy spec, basically.
    Priest - Twilight - A mix of holy and shadow magic, similar to a boomkin
    Rogue - No idea, actually. Got the archtypical Assassin, Pirate and Ninja specs covered.
    Shaman - Earthwarden - 2H tanking spec that makes use of Earth Shield and some other stuff.
    Warlock - Also have no idea. Demons don't have much to go on besides possible Necromancy, but then that'd probably just end up being a reskinned Demonology.
    Warrior - Blademaster - Fast-paced Samuro spec that can turn invisible, create mirror images, walk on water, and other Anime stuff.

New class combos might as well be a thing. Ever since Pandaren and Monks arrived, it has canonized the fact that an outside race can teach another race an outside class. Why wouldn't the Dwarves teach the Gnomes to be paladins? Or the Tauren teaching Blood Elves about druidism? It always seemed stupid to me that races inside a faction still have class limitations when there's class trainers of different races everywhere.
    Except tinkers aren't a ranged, they're primarily melee minus the cluster rocket ability. At least they were in Warcraft III. If we're going to get another class at all it should be range and use a bow. Only two specs in one class use bows and guns. Tinkers are all tech. They tank and fight with their mechs. Guess the gnomes and goblins got tired of being mocked for being short by the other races and decide to one up them with robotic suits. No one dares mock them to their faces wearing one of those.

I disagree with changing beastmaster to be like survival. As someone who likes and plays the hunter class, I like it the way it is. If Dark Rangers never become a class, make them a 4th hunter spec or class skin.

I agree that Blood Elves could learn more about druidism from Tauren, but they already had something similar in the form of botanists (not exactly the same thing) and have elements of nature veneration in their past, Thas'alah the Mother Tree and Farstriders for example. Blood Elf druids wouldn't be that much of a stretch. I don't think Blizzard will do it because Belfs would almost have access to every class and a certain group of people would whine (no, not high elf fans). But I think that races should have access to classes that make sense with their lore (not that any cares about it as much anymore).
    On silken ebony wings the harbinger of death arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by The Banshee View Post
    Except tinkers aren't a ranged, they're primarily melee minus the cluster rocket ability. At least they were in Warcraft III. If we're going to get another class at all it should be range and use a bow.
    To be honest, Tinker (and any class for that matter) could be anything Blizzard wants it to be.

Brewmaster was a melee tanky hero, and it ended up being added as the Monk, which has a healer spec, even though Brewmasters had zero healing or even a healer theme in it. Tinker using guns/bows or ranged could easily be adapted as a spec, since Engineering profession is already known for making Guns and there's a technology connection between the weapon and the class.

To be honest, Tinker (and any class for that matter) could be anything Blizzard wants it to be.

Brewmaster was a melee tanky hero, and it ended up being added as the Monk, which has a healer spec, even though Brewmasters had zero healing or even a healer theme in it. Tinker using guns/bows or ranged could easily be adapted as a spec, since Engineering profession is already known for making Guns and there's a technology connection between the weapon and the class.
    That's very true. I was just parroting what little I know of them from Warcraft III. I guess I really don't like Tinkers that much as I find everything about the class boring, plus almost every Tinker fan I've known has been rude to me and critical (not in the mature way either) about the class I want. I hope we get something else if another class is added. I still think that Tinkers, while I don't like them, Necromancers, and Dark Rangers are the most likely three to become classes. All three of them share many characteristics with the past two hero classes.

The Tinker class has Gazlowe and Mekkatorque as its class Archetype much like Arthas was to Death Knights as Illidan was to the Demon Hunters. I did some reading and discovered that NPCs of the Tinker class have unique spells that were demonstrated on the Island Expeditions (I didn't do them because I hated them.) Both factions have at least one race that can be tinkers (Gnomes and Goblins.) They're from Warcraft III much like Death Knights and Demon Hunters are.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's very true. I was just parroting what little I know of them from Warcraft III. I guess I really don't like Tinkers that much as I find everything about the class boring, plus almost every Tinker fan I've known has been rude to me and critical (not in the mature way either) about the class I want. I hope we get something else if another class is added. I still think that Tinkers, while I don't like them, Necromancers, and Dark Rangers are the most likely three to become classes. All three of them share many characteristics with the past two hero classes.
    That's a rather solid assessment. I would also say that we should keep an eye on Heroes of the Storm, because Blizzard has been consistently pulling abilities and concepts from that game and placing them into WoW, much like they did with WC3 abilities since Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    That's a rather solid assessment. I would also say that we should keep an eye on Heroes of the Storm, because Blizzard has been consistently pulling abilities and concepts from that game and placing them into WoW, much like they did with WC3 abilities since Vanilla.
    Yeah, I noticed they gave Dark Ranger NPCs Wailing Arrow and Withering Fire (even before Sylvanas' bow) abilities that came from HotS Sylvanas and for some reason something called Shadowburn shot. I remember being ruthlessly murdered by Dark Ranger Clea as Alliance in BFA. My mistake was trying to solo her and she killed me in one hit, sometimes two. They also took Black Arrow, an ability from WCIII, gave it to hunters and then took it away. As far as I know, only Dark Ranger NPCs use Black Arrow now. Black Arrow didn't really match Hunters anyway.

As for Tinkers, I'm waiting to see Mekkatorque's HotS abilities. I've seen HotS Gazlowe and he's a melee bruiser type character. Maybe the former of the two will be ranged? He could also be a tank though. I looked Kel'thuzad's HotS abilities, but none of them seem to focus on necromancy (except Death and Decay) but instead on frost even though he was the poster boy for Necromancers. Or was that Ner'zhul?

As for Tinkers, I'm waiting to see Mekkatorque's HotS abilities. I've seen HotS Gazlowe and he's a melee bruiser type character. Maybe the former of the two will be ranged? He could also be a tank though. I looked Kel'thuzad's HotS abilities, but none of them seem to focus on necromancy (except Death and Decay) but instead on frost even though he was the poster boy for Necromancers. Or was that Ner'zhul?
    funny enough, Mekkatorque was in the original Heroes of the Storm lineup since 2013 announcement. He was going to be a Gyrocopter pilot.

So they probably would have given him a bunch of abilities similar to Gyrocopter in DOTA/DOTA2

Always thought druids could be the ultimate shapeshifters. Essentially give them every skin and abilities of every hunter pet. The more exotic shapes would have to be learned in the wilderness.

Blizzard has been consistently pulling abilities and concepts from that game and placing them into WoW
    Enlighten me on that part please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    Enlighten me on that part please.
    1. Shaman got Crash Lightning and Sunder Earth from Thrall in HotS
    2. Demon Hunter class was largely based on the HotS incarnation of Illidan.
    3. Dark Ranger NPCs picked up Wailing Arrow from HotS. Later the Hunter class got Wailing Arrow and Withering Fire from Sylvanas' drops in 9.1.
    4. Sindragosa's Fury came from the HotS ability Summon Sindragosa.
    5. In BFA, the Goblin and Gnome fighters in the Island Expedition had abilities from Gazlowe in HotS.

Promoted classes, dual classes, or 4th specs might bring me back. Give pallies another ret tree called "pissed off". I liked faction specific classes in vanilla.
    Last edited by dextersmith; 2021-09-23 at 03:26 PM.

I wish they would do Elite Specs like Guild Wars 2, but this would require so much work as there are so many classes...
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

1. Shaman got Crash Lightning and Sunder Earth from Thrall in HotS
    2. Demon Hunter class was largely based on the HotS incarnation of Illidan.
    3. Dark Ranger NPCs picked up Wailing Arrow from HotS. Later the Hunter class got Wailing Arrow and Withering Fire from Sylvanas' drops in 9.1.
    4. Sindragosa's Fury came from the HotS ability Summon Sindragosa.
    5. In BFA, the Goblin and Gnome fighters in the Island Expedition had abilities from Gazlowe in HotS.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure half these spells predate hots, but I'm too lazy to check.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure half these spells predate hots, but I'm too lazy to check.
    The majority of those spells arrived in Legion, which came out in mid-late 2016. HotS came out in early 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    I wish they would do Elite Specs like Guild Wars 2, but this would require so much work as there are so many classes...
    This would only work if Blizzard shifted design away from Specs, and focused everything back on Classes.

But we're well past that point of no return.

To be very honest, I think if they ever considered a Classic +, that would be the way they could do something like Elite Specs.

Just keep adding new classes that fit one role for Raiding. Have it stick with the EQ roots, and have all content designed around broad mechanics rather than hitting specific damage timers and balancing around meters. Let Support roles be a thing again, let new classes bring unique buffs, let people play the class simply for the class flavour and not for any particular spec or playstyle. We don't need 3 viable specs per class all being balanced together. 1-2 is good enough.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-09-23 at 09:19 PM.

funny enough, Mekkatorque was in the original Heroes of the Storm lineup since 2013 announcement. He was going to be a Gyrocopter pilot.

So they probably would have given him a bunch of abilities similar to Gyrocopter in DOTA/DOTA2
    It's odd that they removed him from the initial lineup and still haven't put him in HotS properly.
    @DatToffer

Teriz is correct. Most of the spells were implemented during Legion.

It's odd that they removed him from the initial lineup and still haven't put him in HotS properly.
    @DatToffer

Teriz is correct. Most of the spells were implemented during Legion.
    Yeah, I found it very weird. I mean they already had him made, and AFAIK he is the only missing hero from the entire lineup. Practically every other hero they showed there made it straight into the game. Not quite sure why they left him out since Heroes of the Storm had no problem adding Gnome(like) characters; even Chromie made it in playable fashion.

I looked it up and it does seem like he's the only missing hero from the lineup. It's like why do all the work and then waste it by doing nothing with it?

While I would really dig new specs -and they would be my second choice- I really think class skins could add so much in terms of customization, which is an aspect WoW really needs to focus on to diversify their playerbase.

Yes, WoW needs gameplay updates, but it also needs to add more player agency when it comes to customization, there's just so much untapped potential -and retention- on those systems and each year it's more evident how WoW keeps missing out on a loyal playerbase.

Class skins could range from simple color swaps a la Green Fire Walock, or complete thematic Class Skins -like we see on HotS heroes- There's just so much potential to add more playable fantasies to the game without affecting the gameplay.

Also think that Class Skins could inherently open more class combos, feels like they could go hand in hand.