Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Welcome to Machismo. Where one post will be dragged out over as many posts as possible. Posts that all really say the exact same thing, with the same general words, just in different ways.

"Debating"!
    Well, he can always retract it, or he can define it.

If people are going to push nonsense, they should be called out for it.

I've offered my view, and explained exactly why, and even supported it with evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I've offered my view, and explained exactly why, and even supported it with evidence.
    This is a lie and can be summarily dismissed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nationalization is cool. But a break-up of Facebook is an acceptable compromise.

WHAT IF .... Gore had won and followed thru with the breakup of Microsoft? Then we would way more precedent to go after Google, Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    This is a lie and can be summarily dismissed.
    My stance was made clear, I oppose the direct attacks to the First Amendment, as well as am hesitant to allow the full nationalization of all social media companies.

There you go, proof you are objectively wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KuerbisgeschmackShake View Post
    Nationalization is cool. But a break-up of Facebook is an acceptable compromise.

WHAT IF .... Gore had won and followed thru with the breakup of Microsoft? Then we would way more precedent to go after Google, Facebook.
    How do you break up Facebook?

Do people have to only be friends with others in their area? The only thing that would happen, is that people would all migrate to a single platform, where they are around the most possible people. It's size is a feature, not a bug.

yeah, I mean any sort of regulation is better than the free for all we have going on now.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    yeah, I mean any sort of regulation is better than the free for all we have going on now.
    So, what would that regulation look like? I gave examples of misinformation that are claims that are objectively true. Are we supposed to censor the truth?

10+ Year Old Account
    My stance was made clear, I oppose the direct attacks to the First Amendment, as well as am hesitant to allow the full nationalization of all social media companies.

There you go, proof you are objectively wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you break up Facebook?

Do people have to only be friends with others in their area? The only thing that would happen, is that people would all migrate to a single platform, where they are around the most possible people. It's size is a feature, not a bug.
    There's lots of ways to break it up.
    But your obstinance and lack of imagination don't make it worthwhile to explain.

But your obstinance and lack of imagination don't make it worthwhile to explain.
    So, how would you do it?

If there's "lots of ways," define it.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, how would you do it?

Hm.

your obstinance and lack of imagination don't make it worthwhile to explain.
    Reading comprehension is hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

"truth" is not a qualifier much less a quantifier of anything objective beyond personal opinions.

"truth" is not a qualifier much less a quantifier of anything objective beyond personal opinions.
    I posted anti-vaxxer claims that are objectively true. Even then, it is still misinformation. So, do we censor that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Like with Youtube, there really aren't. Any attempt to break it up destroys the main draw of the platform. Now, I might find that acceptable in the case of Facebook (seriously, folks, privacy is lovely), but Youtube only exists largely as it does because that's what consumers want. Any breaking up of that model isn't just an action against Youtube, it's an action against those users. Against all the Youtubers who make a living off the site, as it is, for instance, and likely won't survive if they have to pick one subsidiary and a fraction of their old audience.

There's ways to reform Youtube, but I'd frankly support nationalization to institute a non-profit model over any kind of breakup.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Hm.

Reading comprehension is hard.
    It's his thread, his claim. Once again, looks like people cannot even form their own arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    I posted anti-vaxxer claims that are objectively true. Even then, it is still misinformation. So, do we censor that?
    You were capable of recognizing they were misinformation.

So you've answered your own question, it seems.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's his thread, his claim. Once again, looks like people cannot even form their own arguments.
    Imagine being so self-important that you think people refusing to engage in any seriousness with a bad faith poster isn't a commentary on yourself rather than their point.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Like with Youtube, there really aren't. Any attempt to break it up destroys the main draw of the platform. Now, I might find that acceptable in the case of Facebook (seriously, folks, privacy is lovely), but Youtube only exists largely as it does because that's what consumers want. Any breaking up of that model isn't just an action against Youtube, it's an action against those users. Against all the Youtubers who make a living off the site, as it is, for instance, and likely won't survive if they have to pick one subsidiary and a fraction of their old audience.

There's ways to reform Youtube, but I'd frankly support nationalization to institute a non-profit model over any kind of breakup.
    exactly, YouTube needs to be treated the same way public libraries are treated.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You were capable of recognizing they were misinformation.

So you've answered your own question, it seems.
    Once again, that sets a very dangerous precedent, of censoring verifiably true information.

We're well past "fire in a crowded theater" territory.

- - - Updated - - -

exactly, YouTube needs to be treated the same way public libraries are treated.
    People would just make a different one, one that is privately-owned, and switch to that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once again, that sets a very dangerous precedent, of censoring verifiably true information.
    Not really.

It sets the precedent that it's not acceptable to use true things to tell false stories. Most of us are capable of making that distinction rather than engaging in silly absolutist bullshit, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Imagine being so self-important that you think people refusing to engage in any seriousness with a bad faith poster isn't a commentary on yourself rather than their point.
    People making claims, then running away.

That's troll farm tactics. Luckily, this is the right thread for it. I mean, the level of irony is getting a bit overwhelming right now.

So, how would you do it?

I mean, force them to sell off competitors they purchased despite having their own services offering similar things. Like WhatsApp and Instagram.

That's like, the least imaginative step to take and it's a hugely obvious first step. Facebook is absolutely part of an oligopoly of social media companies, and is by far the biggest and most aggressive when it comes to buying out potential competitors early and either killing off the brand and integrating them into their services or simply keeping the brand that's already popular and profiting off of it.

When I keep talking about a failure of imagination, it's shit like this.