Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    But a private company is a trusted entity lol
    Why wouldn't I trust a corporation that let its users curate ads so they don't have to rent to Black people? /s
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Once again, that's still not the free market, in either case. At best, you. An say it's a government-forced market reset.
    Because a "free" market really isn't free. It's free for abuse and exploitation which inherently makes it no longer free.

Jesus christ, this is like, centuries-old economic theory and policy. We're not treading new ground here.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    It already is not a determining factor as evidenced by the fact you can still be prosecuted for saying things that are untrue but are still believable by a reasonable person.

Nobody believes that Jerry Falwell fucks his granny in the toolshed or that Donald Trump is a literal bastard, but the reasonable layperson is entirely capable of thinking that medical sounding terms like "spike proteins" are legit when they're being used to spread antivaccination propaganda. That is the yardstick for separating free speech from misinformation.
    Once again, I cited the California law that says slander and libel must be false statements.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Because a "free" market really isn't free. It's free for abuse and exploitation which inherently makes it no longer free.

Jesus christ, this is like, centuries-old economic theory and policy. We're not treading new ground here.
    Then, don't use that term.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once again, that's still not the free market, in either case. At best, you. An say it's a government-forced market reset.
    No one cares what it's called, honestly.

The important thing is whether or not the market services the needs of the public. A more dynamic and competitive market does that better than one controlled by a Greyhound bus of monopolies and oligarchies like the one you're advocating.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

GOPers and libertarians should be free to take dewormers, bleach, and anything they think will help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once again, I cited the California law that says slander and libel must be false statements.
    Cool, we're talking about federal legislation. Sit down.

So, let's go back 1 year. We have a social media site, and it is run by the Trump administration. They have moderation powers, as well as censorship authority to restrict misinformation and fake news.

I don't see many liberals wanting to be on such a site.
    omfg with this Trump nonsense again, does the president have any authority over NPR? no? then why would a public video platform be any different? other than that being literally the only excuse you have to justify why it shouldn't exist? some absurd situation you have to make up in order to have any argument against a public good? no seriously this is the same argument that can be made against NPR and it doesn't work that way, so your argument doesn't work, at all!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    omfg with this Trump nonsense again, does the president have any authority over NPR? no? then why would a public video platform be any different? other than that being literally the only excuse you have to justify why it shouldn't exist? some absurd situation you have to make up in order to have any argument against a public good?
    Yeah I remember that time Sesame Street was being used to prop up the Bush administration because PBS. /s

Yeah I remember that time Sesame Street was being used to prop up the Bush administration because PBS. /s
    Hey, we should probably do away with that national emergency text alert system too. I bet Trump could have used that for bad things if he wanted to.

WE MUST GET RID OF LITERALLY EVERYTHING THAT CAN POTENTIALLY BE USED IN BAD FAITH BY A BAD ACTOR! Apparently.

exactly, just ignore reality and substitute your own...

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, we should probably do away with that national emergency text alert system too. I bet Trump could have used that for bad things if he wanted to.
    Thanks, Cricket Wireless.

Those "Amber alerts" would take a different context if run by a company led by the likes of Matt Gaetz.

1) Facebook is not a person and should not have rights. I don't believe in corporate personhood.
    2) You do not have a right to have your voice artificially amplified by technology, point in fact. Freedom of speech is not entitlement to reach.
    Companies still have rights, because they are led by people.

Business owners also deserve rights.

The issue is that it's their private property, and their megaphone. You want to take over that megaphone, so their rights would be impacted.

- - - Updated - - -

No one cares what it's called, honestly.

The important thing is whether or not the market services the needs of the public. A more dynamic and competitive market does that better than one controlled by a Greyhound bus of monopolies and oligarchies like the one you're advocating.
    It is servicing the needs of the public, and more than a hundred million Americans agree, because they use it.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool, we're talking about federal legislation. Sit down.
    So, cite the legislation.

It's your argument, so let's see it.

Or, is this another case of you wanting to ignore evidence, whilst providing none of your own?

- - - Updated - - -

omfg with this Trump nonsense again, does the president have any authority over NPR? no? then why would a public video platform be any different? other than that being literally the only excuse you have to justify why it shouldn't exist? some absurd situation you have to make up in order to have any argument against a public good? no seriously this is the same argument that can be made against NPR and it doesn't work that way, so your argument doesn't work, at all!
    You said you wanted the government to nationalize all of them. So, this isn't like NPR, because you have specifically said you want the government to control speech.

It's not an absurd situation, it's going by the timeline of this article, and your argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Pravda would like to have a chat.

- - - Updated - - -

WE MUST GET RID OF LITERALLY EVERYTHING THAT CAN POTENTIALLY BE USED IN BAD FAITH BY A BAD ACTOR! Apparently.
    Except, he literally called for the government to restrict the speech on those platforms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Companies still have rights, because they are led by people.
    The owners might have rights; the company itself should not be regarded as a person.

Pravda would like to have a chat.
    I talked to it and it said it wanted you to stop using in shitty talking points like insinuating that anything that has a potential for abuse needs to be gotten rid of. Rofl.

Except, he literally called for the government to restrict the speech on those platforms.
    Except, you've yet to demonstrate how this actually prevents people from exercising their speech.

Speech =/= reach. You've no right to the latter, or else banning people from forums wouldn't be permissible.

Or, is this another case of you wanting to ignore evidence, whilst providing none of your own?
    So, were you high or drunk during the several pages wherein Falwell v. Hustler and the corpus of law surrounding free speech at the federal level was brought up?

You've been provided the evidence. Not our fault you can't anything argue without moving the goalposts constantly, like switching between "government run websites" and "government run social media/video sharing" depending on which is more convenient.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-09-24 at 01:55 AM.

The owners might have rights; the company itself should not be regarded as a person.

I talked to it and it said it wanted you to stop using in shitty talking points like insinuating that anything that has a potential for abuse needs to be gotten rid of. Rofl.

Except, you've yet to demonstrate how this actually prevents people from exercising their speech.

Speech =/= reach. You've no right to the latter, or else banning people from forums wouldn't be permissible.

So, were you high or drunk during the several pages wherein Falwell v. Hustler and the corpus of law surrounding free speech at the federal level was brought up?

You've been provided the evidence. Not our fault you can't anything argue without moving the goalposts constantly, like switching between "government run websites" and "government run social media/video sharing" depending on which is more convenient.
    They have rights, the Supreme Court has ruled on this, and that's not going to change. They have rights, because business owners have rights.

You want the government to restrict speech, this has been made clear. So, it's not an issue of NPR, because you want the government to control the speech.

I have literally pointed it out, numerous times. The goal is to punish people for telling the literal and objective truth.

I never did get that federal law from you. Have you found it, yet? You bitched that I provided the California law, saying it's federal, so what law, exactly?

If you cannot provide the law, I'll assume you have no idea, and we can move past it.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2021-09-24 at 02:01 AM.

because you have specifically said you want the government to control speech.
    so we're reduced to out right lying now? that's how you think you "win" this discussion? you're pathetic...

10+ Year Old Account
    They have rights
    Which they should not. Sorry you have problems with is versus ought arguments.

You want the government to restrict speech, this has been made clear.
    Speech =/= reach. The restrictions are on the latter, not the former.

I never did get that federal law from you.
    Imagine not knowing what Common Law is.

so we're reduced to out right lying now? that's how you think you "win" this discussion? you're pathetic...
    It's actually really funny that he thinks what is effectively a spam filter is "controlling people's speech", truth be told. To say nothing of having to reach down to state level legislation in order to avoid being entirely full of shit.

I'm looking forward to more scintillating takes like "website moderation is prohibited by the First Amendment" or trying to claim common law isn't a thing not one post after claiming that business owners have rights because the judiciary said so.

Complete and utter lack of imagination.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-09-24 at 02:13 AM.

Which they should not. Sorry you have problems with is versus ought arguments.

Speech =/= reach. The restrictions are on the latter, not the former.

Imagine not knowing what Common Law is.

It's actually really funny that he thinks what is effectively a spam filter is "controlling people's speech", truth be told. To say nothing of having to reach down to state level legislation in order to avoid being entirely full of shit.

I'm looking forward to more scintillating takes like "website moderation is prohibited by the First Amendment" or trying to claim common law isn't a thing not one post after claiming that business owners have rights because the judiciary said so.

Complete and utter lack of imagination.
    Once again, you can say they should not, but not only should they, that's not going to change. We have SCOTUS precedent on that, and I know you're a fan of such things.

the restrictions are not just on the latter, because people are calling on silencing and banning misinformation. It's their property, and it's their speech. If they want reach, and the government is trying to stop it, that is an infringement on their speech.

The precedent is on my side. Literally both of your rulings were in favor of protecting speech...

So, Citizens United, among others would disagree with your "common law" argument. You don't get to whine about precedent, when that is your argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once again, you can say they should not, but not only should they, that's not going to change. We have SCOTUS precedent on that, and I know you're a fan of such things.
    Then why on Earth are you whinging about a lack of evidence.

the restrictions are not just on the latter, because people are calling on silencing and banning misinformation.
    Oh, so you admit you were lying when you said I was asking the government to "control speech", huh? Lol.

It's their property, and it's their speech.
    Okay, and?

If they want reach, and the government is trying to stop it, that is an infringement on their speech.
    Nah, it's not, or else website moderation or filtering spam wouldn't be legally permissible. You're not asking for speech, you're asking to be entitled to an audience.

The precedent is on my side. Literally both of your rulings were in favor of protecting speech...
    Thus admitting that cutting down on misinformation is not incompatible with free speech, as the Hustler v. Falwell ruling was fairly explicit about.

So, Citizens United, among others would disagree with your "common law" argument.
    Citizens United existing does not make common law not a thing, so not sure why you're saying this.

You asked me what the law is, that does not mean it ought not to be changed.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-09-24 at 02:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You want the government to restrict speech, this has been made clear. So, it's not an issue of NPR, because you want the government to control the speech.
    The government already restricts plenty of forms of speech.

Again, see child pornography for an example that nobody but pedophiles thinks should be uncensored and free to express.

I have literally pointed it out, numerous times. The goal is to punish people for telling the literal and objective truth.
    No, the goal is to penalize/remove misinformation projects.

If you can't tell the difference, that's a you problem.