Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is going to fail so hard. Another trash live action reboot of something that people love being used to push socio-political commentary. It amazes me that people continue to actually allow Netflix to reboot their IPs with their trash that completely disrespects the existing product.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    ...and I'm fucking pissed. Really fucking pissed.

Cowboy Bebop is one of, if not THE BEST anime of all time - Great characters, soundtrack, setting, and story. Aside from 1 or 2 weaker episodes, the entire show is freaking fantastic, with memorable moments and incredible direction. Also, it's a story with a very conclusive end.

And they're going to commit necromancy. In the form of a live action series.

They're bringing the original anime director to support the show, which is nice, but I still can't believe that we'll be getting another live action from NETFLIX - Full Metal Alchemist was bad, Death Note was fucking horrendous, and now...Bebop will suffer the same destiny.

What is even the point of a live action remake/retelling? FFS.

See you space cowboy...
    Being upset about this is the same as being upset they made a movie out of a book. It can be different, and still be great. It does not detract from the obvious greatness of the original anime. Even if it is bad, it can/will act as an advertisement for the old anime, and open it up to new readers to enjoy. How does making a live action version of the anime in any way, shape, or form interfere with your enjoyment of the original anime?

I can draw a parallel directly to the up-coming Wheel of Time series Amazon is putting out. Even if the show is not that great. It won't change my opinion of how great the books are. A positive example is the Lord of the Rings movies, and subsequent Hobbit movies. They were cinematically great much like the books are. So what did we net from that experience? We netted MORE Lord of the Rings, even if it was just objectively the same story being told on film with a different artists touch on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    This is going to fail so hard. Another trash live action reboot of something that people love being used to push socio-political commentary. It amazes me that people continue to actually allow Netflix to reboot their IPs with their trash that completely disrespects the existing product.
    If you're telling me Cowboy Bebop didn't have political undertones then IDK what show you watched. you can just ignore the live action show on top of it all...

like, there is an entire sub plot about the company that builds and maintains the hyper space gates blew up the moon (and ruined the earth in the process) due to their incompetence. this event directly affects one of the main protagonists and is directly referenced in several episodes that aren't even about Faye or her past. it's right there dude....
    Last edited by uuuhname; 2021-09-25 at 07:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Honestly, this opening is exactly what I'd expect from Bebop.
    I was honestly expecting it to be a more "real" take on things, but the scenes they've got included there are so cartoonishly stylized in a really positive way that I'm pretty hopeful, actually.

If it reminds me of anything, artistically, it's the 1990 Dick Tracy film. Which, sure, was kind of crap in a lot of ways, but we're just talking artistic stylings, and for that, Dick Tracy won the Academy Award that year.

Now that this'll be out soon, I want a Live Action version of Space Dandy...

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Now that this'll be out soon, I want a Live Action version of Space Dandy...
    I just want more Space Dandy period. The music, much like with Cowboy Bebop, was fantastic.

As far as this live action series goes, I'll watch it for the interesting stylistic choices...and Ein. I like Cho, but I'm still not convinced he's right for the part--hopefully he surprises me. I do wonder why they decided not to include Edward, though. At first I thought maybe this series just takes place before they joined the team, but then there's one shot in this trailer that's pretty much a scene right out of the last episode of the show.

have any live action remakes actually been good?

id bet good money this is going to be fucking shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    I haven't seen them personally, but several people whose opinion in these matters I value have told me the Rurouni Kenshin live action is really good.

Nopes .

Usually they're not, I'd be surprised this any different.

Live-action Death Note is a prime example of how I expect this to go to some degree. Hopefully not that bad, but I wouldn't hold my breath. That show was filled with superficial references given emphasis that any fan of the anime/manga would immediately know were not important to any aspect of the story, alongside a butchery of the general story and universe in general.

Someone linked the intro to the live-action Cowboy Bebop, and it's HEAVILY reliant on the anime base of the intro... as well as Tank!, the song is just great. If anything, almost all the live-action parts woven in are the worst parts of the intro itself. There's something that feels off about it all in general, but things that stuck out were Valentine's movements looking like she's acting instead of more natural (although a bunch of the live action parts do this, she just stood out the most), Ed not being there at all compounded with the absence's likely adjustments, and how the sets/clothing/props are way too clean (to where they don't look like they've ever been worn or used, aka fake). A lot of the YouTube comments kind of hit on various things, and they indicate most of the positive feedback is just the nostalgia hit from hearing Tank! with at most a cautious optimism... but generally a lot of skepticism. Even the Japanese are having similar reactions.

As usual, no fan wants it to be bad... but we've been burned by Netflix and other companies making live-action remakes in recent history. Doesn't help that behind-the-scenes info and actor social media are all pointing in a direction that does not indicate good things to come. Ultimately, the medium and format through which a story is presented can greatly impact the tone and efficacy of the narrative, and going live-action with Cowboy Bebop is already a huge uphill battle in comparison to the anime itself. Sometimes things are better left unchanged, and we'll see what's the case soon enough.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I haven't seen them personally, but several people whose opinion in these matters I value have told me the Rurouni Kenshin live action is really good.
    +1 on the Kenshin movies.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

10+ Year Old Account
    I have only just learned that this live action remake is a thing, and I think I am gonna stick with the anime, I am just not interested in a live action remake. Its like the Wheel of Time live action series, I have the perfect versions of both already, I don't need inferior copies trying to capture what it never will to me.

Good luck to those that will love it, but I think I have better ways to spend my time.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account

Alita: Battle Angel was surprisingly good and faithful. The biggest complaints by critics were that it was almost TOO faithful, and came off as a bit cliched or "weird" largely because​ of the source material. The Wachowski's Speed Racer won awards, too. I'd argue the Bumblebee movie is really solid, too, though it's definitely more of a "new story inspired by" than a straight adaptation from the Transformers cartoon; it fixed basically everything Michael Bay was shitting up with the franchise.

Yeah, I'm 100% on board for this.
    I'm still not convinced with Cho, but I think he's a decent actor so I'm willing to give him a chance. The overall feel of this trailer was nice, though.

I didn't think it was possible to use Green Bird incorrectly until I watched this.

Some of the editing was slick but... uh... this doesn't feel like Bebop to me.

Snip
    I'm torn. I hate to say it but this trailer/vignette looks more like a proof of concept, poorly edited and finished pilot to sell an idea to a studio... kind of like the Deadpool pilot from 10 or so years ago. I would expect a much higher quality finished product, but this just kind of looks like it.

I get the feeling the series is going to exist somewhere in the Cowboy Bebop from Wish range. They get the idea of what Bebop is, but they weren't given the budget, actors, or time to actual do it right.

10+ Year Old Account

So unbelievably cringe. I'm looking for reasons to give this a shot, and this isn't it.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

that trailer fucking sucked lmao this is going to be a car crash

This... kind of feels like a fan-made YouTube video, ngl.

I'm not getting any chemistry there. At all. Not a good sign.