Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Oh noes, Twitter stuff!
    Twitter is totally a 100% accurate reflection of reality and isn't just a tiny minority of people, with an even tinier hyperminority of Twitter users driving the overwhelming majority of political Twitter.

1% of 1% of 1% is a big number, I think!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Twitter is totally a 100% accurate reflection of reality and isn't just a tiny minority of people, with an even tinier hyperminority of Twitter users driving the overwhelming majority of political Twitter.

1% of 1% of 1% is a big number, I think!
    It's also entirely possible that @tehdang's browsing habits mean the algorithm is simply vastly more likely to present him with anti-Israel content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    there's no anti-muslim parties in any position of power, there are racists however and they don't like foreigners even if they're white... as can be seen here with how people react to me being russian lol...
    Them being in power is not relevant to how popular they are.

there's pretty much no people from indonesia here... so kind of stupid to try to portray racism against southeast asians(who are mostly thai and vietnamese here) because they're muslims lol... and bangladesh isn't in southeast asia...
    Are you confused that your own country is not the only European country or what are you even trying to say?

- - - Updated - - -

"insulting Islam is allowed under the guise of freedom of expression."

lol... i won't bother reading any further if that's what goes for islamophobia these days.... we don't live in a theocracy where insulting a religion is punishable...
    You also don't seem to understand the difference between attacking a religion and attacking members of that religion.

Kicking out all jews would be anti-Semitic.
    ..So wanting to make anti-muslim laws is...?
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2021-09-26 at 09:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes there is... hate speech laws aren't blasphemy laws...
    That's nice dear, we aren't talking about blasphemy and never were.

You claimed there hasn't been a spike in Islamophobia in Europe and then insisted the unequal application of hate speech laws between semitic groups isn't indicative of that. That has been proven manifestly false through the multiple sources you've been provided with.

Pony up with some evidence of your own, or sit your ass down.

- - - Updated - - -

if you can't understand the difference between a religion and people belonging to a religion then this is pointless
    Mainly because it's a stupid distinction designed to save face after having made a silly assertion.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    It's also entirely possible that @tehdang's browsing habits mean the algorithm is simply vastly more likely to present him with anti-Israel content.
    more likely he follows accounts whose sole purpose is to QRT other accounts with canned responses like: "this is what they really mean!" they don't want to just free Palestine! they want to destroy Judaism as we know it!"

10+ Year Old Account
    i'm not the one struggling to understand that difference...
    You should probably stop denying the Islamophobia that is going in Europe while you deflect to "But you're allowed to critize religion!!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    more likely he follows accounts whose sole purpose is to QRT other accounts saying "this is what they really mean!" they don't want to just free Palestine! they want to destroy Judaism as we know it!"
    It's well known that a lot of social media algorithms like to promote content that their users will find controversial and outrageous in order to stoke engagement.

So "I see a lot of X on social media" should be taken with a massive grain of salt.

10+ Year Old Account
    you posted the article...

" insulting Islam is allowed under the guise of freedom of expression."

outlawing insults against a religion is blasphemy law...
    The article was not talking about blasphemy laws as evidenced by the context of protections other religious groups enjoy.

Try again. You're interpreting "insulting" incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    It's well known that a lot of social media algorithms like to promote content that their users will find controversial and outrageous in order to stoke engagement.

So "I see a lot of X on social media" should be taken with a massive grain of salt.
    of course, why he even assumes that counts for anything is probably the most laughable argument I've ever seen him make so far in this thread, and that's saying a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    "In European countries, while anti-Semitism is considered a crime, insulting Islam is allowed under the guise of freedom of expression."

insulting islam isn't islamophobia... it's just insulting a religion lol... people insult other religions on a daily basis... there should be no protection for islam specifically...
    We are not talking about insulting an religion but hate against Muslims. Try to keep up.

10+ Year Old Account
    what are you even talking about?

elegiac posted the article... it specifically mentions insults against islam lol...
    Im referring to the original comment about Islamophobia, jesus how hard can this be?

he posted an article saying insults against islam not being punished as being islamophobia... when that's what passes as islamophobia then i don't care because i don't want to live in a country with blasphemy laws...
    wow, maybe for one second consider this isn't about you...

for one second maybe you should think about what the impacts on society would be if we were to introduce blasphemy laws...
    how about no? that's not what this conversation is about. it's about the problem of islamophobia in Europe and you've done nothing to address it's existence beyond "I don't see it".

"In European countries, while anti-Semitism is considered a crime, insulting Islam is allowed under the guise of freedom of expression."

it is... they want blasphemy laws or it's islamophobia lol...
    you insisting on ignoring the double standard you inadvertently prove exists is a truly unique debate strategy.

there is no double standard... there is no protection against insults against judaism, christianity, buddhism or any other religion in countries that don't have blasphemy laws...
    YOU JUST SAID THAT IT'S A CRIME TO ESPOUSE ANTISEMENTIC REMARKS. why then, is it unacceptable to do the same for Islamophobia???

no, i quoted the article and do you even know what antisemitism is? you're free to insult judaism all you want... you won't be punished for that in any country that doesn't have blasphemy laws...
    "that you know of..."

10+ Year Old Account
    no, i quoted the article and do you even know what antisemitism is? you're free to insult judaism all you want... you won't be punished for that in any country that doesn't have blasphemy laws...
    Anti-semitism is the discrimination/oppression of what religious group again..?

if a country outlaws insults against religion they have blasphemy laws lol...
    and...? that doesn't mean they don't exist.

like, I'm looking at countries in Europe that have blasphemy laws so I'm really at a lose as to what fictional world sugarcube lives in...

i never said they don't exist lol...
    yes you did
    it's not illegal to insult any religion in any countries laws' that i know...

so stop lying and move on, stop embarrassing yourself.