Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    The system that will basically control the universe is actually called quanta, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8VFw1F-olQ, the last 30 mins shows the system more in action, i would say its one of star citizens most important systems.
    Is it in the game yet, though? I'm trying to find out if he's gone live and it doesn't appear to be live yet. I'm not sold by marketing videos or live-demos in controlled environments, since we've seen that taking tech from a controlled environment to production (Server Meshing) is the biggest hurdle in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Is it in the game yet, though?
    No. There are no NPC ships that trade. The only NPC ships flying around are 1. police that patrol around space stations, 2. bandits that spawn around asteroid belts, and 3. navy ships that spawn when you become a rank 5 criminal and try hunting you down. Otherwise the only other ships flying around are players.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    You're praising someone for running a scam. You may as well shout praises for whoever invented the "Nigerian Prince" email.
    Dude, the "Nigerian Prince" email is fucking art. God bless him.

Look, all I’m saying is that you can't deny his ability to print fucking money out of thin air. Now, would I brag about throwing thousands of my hard owned dollars at some millionaire fat cat sitting on a yatch with delusions of grandeur and a list of failures at meeting self-set deadlines, every couple of pages in random internet forums? Nha dude, I might not be the sanest person out there, but fucking hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    No. There are no NPC ships that trade. The only NPC ships flying around are 1. police that patrol around space stations, 2. bandits that spawn around asteroid belts, and 3. navy ships that spawn when you become a rank 5 criminal and try hunting you down. Otherwise the only other ships flying around are players.
    Cool, thought so. It's impressive as hell the way it's described and shown, but getting it into the game and working is an entirely separate matter and likely more challenging. I'll be sold on the feature being as impressive as it sounds once that's done and players can see it in-action.

Is it in the game yet, though? I'm trying to find out if he's gone live and it doesn't appear to be live yet. I'm not sold by marketing videos or live-demos in controlled environments, since we've seen that taking tech from a controlled environment to production (Server Meshing) is the biggest hurdle in the process.
    They were working on increasing its capabilities by i think ten times back in some of the videos so it will be some time before we see it in play, its the system that will make the universe actually be a living one with thousands of npcs doing jobs and physically actually being there if a player is close enough, basically anything not near a player will not even need to be loaded into the server so that should be another system to increase performance.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

They were working on increasing its capabilities by i think ten times back in some of the videos so it will be some time before we see it in play, its the system that will make the universe actually be a living one with thousands of npcs doing jobs and physically actually being there if a player is close enough, basically anything not near a player will not even need to be loaded into the server so that should be another system to increase performance.
    I'm aware of what it's supposed to be, but until we see that in action, meh.

basically anything not near a player will not even need to be loaded into the server so that should be another system to increase performance.
    Woah, trully innovating stuff.

Thank you for the information.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The original pitch was for a Freelancer 2.0. Basically a singleplayer arcadey space sim game with an optional multiplayer with custom servers run by the community. Easy. Should have been delivered within a couple years. But then Chris Roberts kept piling on stretchgoal after stretch goal, like walking on planets and FPS combat, among other things. Then the project started being recentered around the multiplayer, to the point that it practically became it's own game and the center of the project. Also private servers and mods that were promised were removed. Official servers (the only way to play the game) went up in December 2015. It's currently limited to just one star system right now. The game is legit impressive for your first 20-40 hours but it doesn't have staying power. Servers are capped at 50 people. The game looks good but then you quickly realize how surface level it is and all of the annoying limitations like armistice zones (aka safe zones where you can't PvP), and gameplay amounts to shallow grinds that lead to nowhere. Also the servers crash after 2 hours. Game is currently limited to just one star system and 50 players and there is no way to expand beyond that until magic server tech is invented, which they said they had a working prototype of way back in Spring 2019 but then they literally never talked about it again, so it looks like the game will never really be more than it is right now. I would recommend checking it out for free during a free flight event without having to drop any money.

The singleplayer campaign I originally backed for 8 years ago is nowhere in sight. The game's development has apparently been scrapped and rebooted and scrapped again multiple times. Last time the roadmap was updated in 2019, not even half of the levels had been greyboxed. All communication about the state of the singleplayer campaign ceased after 2019. After a tremendous amount of uproar on the official forums resulted in media outlets picking up on it, Chris came out of hiding to promise us quarterly update videos on the project. He gave us one video in October of last year in which he dodged answering questions about the state of the project and just had an artist show us a tour of a space station environment. We have gotten literally no info on the campaign since then. Also they dumped a ton of money on getting Gary Oldman and John Rhys Davies and Mark Hamil and Liam Cunningham and other big name actors. SC's community manager keeps tagging those actors trying to get them to retweet Star Citizen, which they used to do years ago and it just makes the CM look embarrassing, but now they don't do it anymore as it is blatantly obvious the game is never coming out.
    Thank you for the info. It appears to be one of those games who over promised i suppose. Maybe trying to add too much to it.

Quite a shame it's stuck in this endless development loop because i was looking forward to it ( years ago ), but there's only so much time i can wait for a game before losing interest, especially in today's market when there are a lot of other options out there.

I respect the developers for trying a very ambitious title but i will agree with you that it has taken way too much time to deliver it and it may indeed never come out.

Didn't we establish that MrAnderson spend a good bit of money because he is part of some special test group or something?
    Probably slight influences his opinion on whales.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

This is pretty normal stuff.
    Indeed it is, haters just like to make drama out of it because it's Star Citizen. Bless them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Didn't we establish that MrAnderson spend a good bit of money because he is part of some special test group or something?
    Probably slight influences his opinion on whales.
    Oh Did you? Funny, How so?

After all since I pledged for a basic package back in 2013 I've only reached ~200$ total pledge after almost 9 years. That's less than 30$ per year which is still more than what I've spent in my steam collection and about the same spent on a good weekend.

For the record, everyone selected to the very first evocati group was because of their commitment to play-testing the game and reporting bugs not because of the money. Concierge backers (1k+ pledged) and Subscribers only get access to later stages.

Which is why I'm off to test the new patch now while they will have to wait for later stages:

Cya

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Yeah, he's practically inner circle, spent actual time chatting to devs (pretty sure he called them friends at some point) in person and whatnot.
    https://starcitizen.tools/Concierge

+1,000$ entry big boi's club It would sure explain a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by banmebaby View Post
    https://starcitizen.tools/Concierge

+1,000$ entry big boi's club It would sure explain a lot.
    Concierge doesnt give you access to Evocati testing, only players with proven track records of bug finding and properly reporting even get a slight chance at becoming one, so all concierge gets you is better customer support and a few fancy cosmetics.

Concierge doesnt give you access to Evocati testing, only players with proven track records of bug finding and properly reporting even get a slight chance at becoming one, so all concierge gets you is better customer support and a few fancy cosmetics.
    Yeah, seems so, how many testing phases are there?

If you buy the base game you can play one.

If you are a Concierge or a Subscriber you can play another?

and if you are an avocado you can play yet another?

Fucking hell, that's sure a lot of dollar signs.

Quote Originally Posted by banmebaby View Post
    Yeah, seems so, how many testing phases are there?

If you buy the base game you can play one.

If you are a Concierge or a Subscriber you can play another?

and if you are an avocado you can play yet another?

Fucking hell, that's sure a lot of dollar signs.
    There are 3 versions of the game, PTR, Live PU and Evocati, as far as im aware, subs/concierge get early access on some things and thats it really, a starter package gives you equal access to all versions of the game, you just have to work hard if you want a chance at evocati.

Spending more money does not give you any more access to the game than other players.

you just have to work hard if you want a chance at evocati.
    I get this is more like oldschool betas were lists of quality testers were guarded and you had to prove yourself before getting invites but like...it's just weird when you step back and look at this in the context of SC.

You pay to fund the game and get access to the testing. Not that surprising, paid early access has long been a thing. But then on top of that, you have to bust butt so that you can...do more free work for the company whose product you've paid to fund part of the development for.

Seriously, if they weren't constantly showing progress and work they were doing (even if it's slow), I'd argue this would be the best designed racket around.

Seriously, if they weren't constantly showing progress and work they were doing (even if it's slow), I'd argue this would be the best designed racket around.
    Still could argue some of it being a racket with how SQ42 is coming along and the refusal to talk about certain aspects of the game any longer. All I know is that some people involved with making this game have been enjoy the cash flow. Keeping this game being delayed sure is a nice constant stream of money for them, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Still could argue some of it being a racket with how SQ42 is coming along and the refusal to talk about certain aspects of the game any longer. All I know is that some people involved with making this game have been enjoy the cash flow. Keeping this game being delayed sure is a nice constant stream of money for them, isn't it?
    I guess, but I don't think you'd have much weight. It's clear that they're spending money on development and not just pocketing it and running, and they're showing off the messy part of development that folks rarely see and think is an anomaly. It is in the sense that they're not making cuts and are trying to brute force their way to the results they want with money, but these kinds of issues, delays, setbacks, and complications are normal for game development. The result is just usually that they look for cheaper/easier ways to do something or scrap/alter a feature that they won't be able to do, since they have actual budgets and deadlines to deal with and can't afford to spend months/years throwing people at a feature.

The argument that it's intentionally being "delayed" is fairly silly too and I'd be hard-pressed to find literally any info supporting that. They can keep the money going after the game releases, and they won't need a massive team of developers any longer so if they don't transition to moving to a new project to work on they'll get let go (sadly routine for game development) while the live-ops team remains.

I guess, but I don't think you'd have much weight. It's clear that they're spending money on development and not just pocketing it and running, and they're showing off the messy part of development that folks rarely see and think is an anomaly. It is in the sense that they're not making cuts and are trying to brute force their way to the results they want with money, but these kinds of issues, delays, setbacks, and complications are normal for game development. The result is just usually that they look for cheaper/easier ways to do something or scrap/alter a feature that they won't be able to do, since they have actual budgets and deadlines to deal with and can't afford to spend months/years throwing people at a feature.

The argument that it's intentionally being "delayed" is fairly silly too and I'd be hard-pressed to find literally any info supporting that. They can keep the money going after the game releases, and they won't need a massive team of developers any longer so if they don't transition to moving to a new project to work on they'll get let go (sadly routine for game development) while the live-ops team remains.
    My point is they have had things greyboxed that are removed and not talked about again, server meshing was on the radar and then poof it's gone not to be talked about. SQ42 is a prime example of something not being really 'shown' anymore and now just talked about. It does make me wonder the progress of things. But they are always happy to feature even more new ships to siphon money off of whales I guess.

Sure they are spending money on development, but AI taking dumps in the bathroom isn't exactly the right direction I'd want a game to be taking at this point, but hey they are good at hyping shit up to keep getting money tossed at them, so good on them I guess.

The fact that they are still years away from releasing this game is just crazy. They better hope they keep this money train going for years. You'd think eventually people would get tired of waiting, guess we'll see.

I get this is more like oldschool betas were lists of quality testers were guarded and you had to prove yourself before getting invites but like...it's just weird when you step back and look at this in the context of SC.

You pay to fund the game and get access to the testing. Not that surprising, paid early access has long been a thing. But then on top of that, you have to bust butt so that you can...do more free work for the company whose product you've paid to fund part of the development for.

Some players might like putting in the extra effort to help the games development, Evocati is a place only for actual testers who provide useful information to improve the game, im not 100% sure but there is an evocati org with 1780 members and there is an anderson in it so that might be the total number of testers including CiG staff.

I was impressed at this sort of stuff in Ultima 7 in what, 1992? We're 30 years later now, it's not exactly anything special at this point.