Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhyroth View Post
    Do people not have like an emergency fund or something? Couple of thousands aside for emergencies like dentist, doctor, car breaking down etc ?
    Reading this topic worries me at how people will handle future setbacks (even smaller ones).
    The credit industry is worth billions mate, chances are most people don't.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do people not have like an emergency fund or something? Couple of thousands aside for emergencies like dentist, doctor, car breaking down etc ?
    Reading this topic worries me at how people will handle future setbacks (even smaller ones).
    Yea, that's my biggest pet peeve economically with my friends. I always have $10K in a NO TOUCH bank account for exactly those reasons. It's only used for emergencies.

I do. As a homeowner, I keep a few grand in an account that I do not touch for anything but emergency house needs. Furnace breaks, etc.

However, from reading that thread about minimum wage, most of the people in there seem horrible with their money so it's a good assumption that most others do not. "Get money, spend money" is an apparent norm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't get an 8k TV, you're paying way more than you'll get out of it, especially if you're financing it rather than saving up and just buying it outright straight away. 4K has just barely these last couple of years taken over from 1080p, we're a solid decade out from 8K being a reasonable choice, at least, and by then there will be much more affordable and better TV sets available than the ones you can buy now in that resolution.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    Black Friday is technically the cheapest time to buy a tv, but it comes with a catch. Most Black Friday tv models nowadays are specifically built for Black Friday sales. So they do tend to use lower quality parts and take out some features to save on cost. It's a good time to buy a secondary tv for a bedroom, but maybe not the best time for a big living room 4k/8k primary tv.

The next cheapest time is January and early February in the US, for 2 reasons. In the US you'd be surprised how many people like to upgrade their tv's right before the Super Bowl. Many people have parties and want to have a new tv to show off, so there are always a lot of tv sales during January. The other reason stores run tv sales in January in addition to the Super Bowl, is that the new tv models are usually released in January as well. So on the upside you get a good deal, on the downside it's usually clearing out inventory of 'last year's' model.

Although the new tv models are announced early in the year, they tend to not be available in stores until at least mid-year. So if price isn't a concern and you just want the latest model and features, mid-year is the time.

As for the question on financing, you really already know the answer to that. If a person had no tv and little money and needed to finance a $300 tv that could be paid off fairly quickly, I could see a case for that. A tv isn't completely a life need, but it's close especially in emergency times for weather, etc. But an expensive 8k tv is something that's brand new tech where you are paying a big premium to have the latest. CD Players were over $2000 when they came out, and were $150 in no time. So that's never a good move to finance. That's more of a luxury that if you have to finance you really can't afford. Those will be big payments over a longer term where all kinds of other higher priority expenses can come up. Additionally, it's never a good move to finance high-end tech because it is one of the worst items in the world to hold it's value, like the $2000 cd players. The quick value loss is another issue because if something happens to the tv when it is partially paid off, you are stuck with the bill.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am going to be buying a brand new 75 inch 4k very soon. Why? Because there is content for it and I can see the improvement. You will not see much improvement with 8k for many many years. And by the time there is enough content for it, it will be outdated and the warranty expiration will cause your TV to suicide itself.

I waited on 4k for several years, you can too.

Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    Black Friday is technically the cheapest time to buy a tv, but it comes with a catch. Most Black Friday tv models nowadays are specifically built for Black Friday sales. So they do tend to use lower quality parts and take out some features to save on cost. It's a good time to buy a secondary tv for a bedroom, but maybe not the best time for a big living room 4k/8k primary tv.
    Those Black Friday TVs were great for Christmas gifts to my little kids and parents-in-law who still used a tube TV in 2015.

5+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully, any of this helped, but this is closed. Keep in mind that GenOT isn't really an advice forum.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."