Poll: Will they pull a [Lore] ripcord in hope to save the expansion?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is there a [Lore] ripcord to be pulled?

Taking into account all recent events and how Blizzard were forced to "cave-in" to the players' gameplay demands, do you think it's possible for them to have a Lore related ripcord ready to be pulled for 9.2 and beyond?

After all, many players criticized and are unhappy with the Shadowlands lore. The way Blizzard are handling Sylvanas, the Night Warrior, Elune, all the controversies surrounding the Jailer, his involvement with the Lich King, the Nathrezim and so on.

Gameplay, customization and QoL changes were expected by most people and they come as no surprise. Do you think however, that they might go a step further and make some drastic lore changes to what they previously envisioned earlier in Shadowlands development? Maybe even go as far as retcon some very recent lore from this expansion?

No.

Best you can hope for is that they phase out characters we are sick and tired of, like Thrall after cata and hopefully Sylvanas after we are done with SL.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Just because you don't enjoy the lore doesn't mean Blizzard should backtrack on it. If they'd listen to people like you back in MoP then I likely would've quit back then.

Edit: Wtf are these poll choices?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

You mean... like pretending the last 5 years were a bad dream during the Yashaarj fight in Orgrimmar? xD

I am afraid story issues are not as easy to solve as design ones.

There really is no point, cause the same team is still working in the game. They will just spoil the pooch again.

There has to be a completely different approach to storytelling in WoW for it to be good. In honesty, it was never very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    You mean... like pretending the last 5 years were a bad dream during the Yashaarj fight in Orgrimmar? xD

I am afraid story issues are not as easy to solve as design ones.
    It worked for Dallas... Anduin wakes up, runs into the other room and finds daddy in the shower.

It's probably low on the list of their priorities to begin with, but also they simply don't NEED to pull a "ripcord" - they're already really good at making dramatic turns in the lore anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Just because you don't enjoy the lore doesn't mean Blizzard should backtrack on it. If they'd listen to people like you back in MoP then I likely would've quit back then.

Edit: Wtf are these poll choices?
    So you quit back in MoP? I'd guess they'd rather listen to me, because I payed them till much recently than you. And it's not only me, if you bothered to read the Lore subforum, you'd know that there are many people unhappy with some aspects of the current lore.

The writing began turning to trash at the end of MoP with Garrosh. (Although I can see the argument for that Thrall bit in Cataclysm)

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I've always felt people would cut the current lore and the direction of the story some slack if there weren't so many issues the player base has with in-game systems and direction of balancing/tuning of things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UndedoKoleda View Post
    Taking into account all recent events and how Blizzard were forced to "cave-in" to the players' gameplay demands, do you think it's possible for them to have a Lore related ripcord ready to be pulled for 9.2 and beyond?

After all, many players criticized and are unhappy with the Shadowlands lore. The way Blizzard are handling Sylvanas, the Night Warrior, Elune, all the controversies surrounding the Jailer, his involvement with the Lich King, the Nathrezim and so on.

Gameplay, customization and QoL changes were expected by most people and they come as no surprise. Do you think however, that they might go a step further and make some drastic lore changes to what they previously envisioned earlier in Shadowlands development? Maybe even go as far as retcon some very recent lore from this expansion?
    Couldn't vote as my option was not available.

No, I do not believe in a "lore-ripcord" for that would just be called 'Retcon' in the end. And if they started changing the lore of a VERY new expansion, then there'll be demands of other changes too, most likely. Like, I'd rather Bolvar did not become the Lich King, I'd rather Tirion didn't die, or Varian for that matter.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

They did respond to players' dissatisfaction with certain lore elements in the past.

See how they shelved Med'an, how they stopped using Knaak and killed off pretty much all his (main) characters.

If they do anything, I would expect similar to that. Characters stepping back and not appearing, or being killed off. Nothing as drastic as "it was all a dream" or retcons.

So you quit back in MoP? I'd guess they'd rather listen to me, because I payed them till much recently than you. And it's not only me, if you bothered to read the Lore subforum, you'd know that there are many people unhappy with some aspects of the current lore.
    I said I would have quit if they listen to you for MoP, which they obviously did not. Plenty of people constantly cried back then about the Pandaren stories, the same exact thing is happening in SL. The only problems I have in the lore currently is Sylvanus and Elune, both of which have next to nothing to do with most of the storylines. Why should I listen to jaded individuals wanting to get rid of the lore I like?
    Last edited by Pebrocks The Warlock; 2021-09-28 at 04:34 PM.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I said I would have quit if they listen to you for MoP, which they obviously did not. Plenty of people constantly cried back then about the Pandaren stories, the same exact thing is happening in SL. The only problems I have in the lore currently is Sylvanus and Elune, both of which have next to nothing to do with most of the storylines. Why should I listen to jades individuals wanting to get rid of the lore I like?
    You like the current lore, fair enough. Fact is, there are people who are unhappy about it one way or another. Same way as people were unhappy about the way the Covenants work(ed), the Legendaries acquisition and many others, you can clearly see it on the forums. Blizzard are clearly acting on it, hence 9.1.5. I'm asking if people think that they'll go as far as to change the Lore they originally envisioned, just to score some more "here you go, we listened!" points.

For instance, if they originally intended for Sylvanas to be redeemed, or become the new Jailer, or Arbiter, or whatever, after all the outcry about her, will they turn around and kill her instead, just to please the playerbase in the current situation.

The damage to world building and lore is irrevocable at this point

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you think however, that they might go a step further and make some drastic lore changes to what they previously envisioned earlier in Shadowlands development? Maybe even go as far as retcon some very recent lore from this expansion?
    They will do both of these things, but not because of the people who dislike the story. Remember, the writers believe that if players are upset with the story then they're doing a good job, it doesn't matter to them why those players are upset. No, when they inevitably change/retcon the Shadowlands lore, it will be because it has become an inconvenience trying to write around it while crafting the hare-brained plot of their next expansion/patch.

Only in the sense of building on the story later, like what happened with post-WOD with the mag'har scenario and Jaina's shift between MOP and BFA. Done right, they can not only salvage what was there but make it seem like it was all their genius plan all along.

For me, everything in SL and BFA still hinges on what ultimately happens to Sylvanas. The Jailer may be the Bigger Bad, but she is the personal villain to us the player these last two (or one, for loyalists) expansions.

You act like Blizzard can just go "IT WAS ALL A DREEAAAM" and you'd be happy? Don't make me laugh.

Right now, regarding Sylvanas, what needs addressed:
    -she betrayed the Horde
    -she betrayed the Forsaken specifically
    -she rejected Anduin's efforts to push her towards redemption while imprisoned, death knighting him instead.
    -the night elves and everyone else she wronged need justice for what happened.
    -Thrall promised Syvlanas's head as proof the Horde changes from BFA would stick.

I don't know how much of that they can address in a satisfying way, but as of 9.1 the answer is "none of the above." So between now and the end of the expansion, as many of those as possible.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2021-09-28 at 04:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post
    See how they shelved Med'an, how they stopped using Knaak
    And now we have Anduin and Golden instead...

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Done right, they can not only salvage what was there but make it seem like it was all their genius plan all along.
    Only copium addicts can possibly believe that.

I wish. I'd scrap the entirety of WoW lore post Frozen Throne and start from there. It won't happen though. The new writers want to make their own shitty mark at the franchise's expense, and it will continue to get worse and worse. Most of the player base doesn't seem to give a shit about lore anyway.

Good writing can be summed up in one sentence. Make interesting characters and torture them for 300 pages.

Blizzard fails at making new INTERESTING characters. 1-2 are good but its not enough. Almost all of them act constipated. It makes me wonder if the design goal is to avoid making heroes and villains that might be in any way offensive so that its easier to sell the brand to Disney when the time comes. So you get this endless array of milquetoast heroes and villains in SL.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Only in the sense of building on the story later, like what happened with post-WOD with the mag'har scenario and Jaina's shift between MOP and BFA. Done right, they can not only salvage what was there but make it seem like it was all their genius plan all along.

For me, everything in SL and BFA still hinges on what ultimately happens to Sylvanas. The Jailer may be the Bigger Bad, but she is the personal villain to us the player these last two (or one, for loyalists) expansions.

You act like Blizzard can just go "IT WAS ALL A DREEAAAM" and you'd be happy? Don't make me laugh.

Right now, regarding Sylvanas, what needs addressed:
    -she betrayed the Horde
    -she betrayed the Forsaken specifically
    -she rejected Anduin's efforts to push her towards redemption while imprisoned, death knighting him instead.
    -the night elves and everyone else she wronged need justice for what happened.
    -Thrall promised Syvlanas's head as proof the Horde changes from BFA would stick.

I don't know how much of that they can address in a satisfying way, but as of 9.1 the answer is "none of the above." So between now and the end of the expansion, as many of those as possible.
    That Sylvanas no longer exists. Her soul has been fully merged with her good side now. Now she will probably become much more stoic, constipated, and a hero. its in her blue eyes.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    And now we have Anduin and Golden instead...

Personally, I'd still happily take Anduin and Golden over Rhonin and Knaak. Knaak was good for fleshing out the dragonflights but then his OCs became way too much.