Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Babylon 5 is being rebooted - and JMS is involved

I never thought I'd see this - but Babylon5 is being rebooted, and the creator of it, JMS, is running the show.

There is little detail so far beyond the initial description;

In a from-the-ground-up reboot of the original series, John Sheridan, an Earthforce officer with a mysterious background, is assigned to Babylon 5, a five-mile-long space station in neutral space, a port of call for travelers, smugglers, corporate explorers and alien diplomats at a time of uneasy peace and the constant threat of war. His arrival triggers a destiny beyond anything he could have imagined, as an exploratory Earth company accidentally triggers a conflict with a civilization a million years ahead of us, putting Sheridan and the rest of the B5 crew in the line of fire as the last, best hope for the survival of the human race.

Uhuhuhu this is going to be awesome.

1. Because i love babylon 5 but it did not age well... (lookswise)

2. JMS created one of the most inclusive shows EVER in Sense8. So we can be prepared for tons and tons of bitching from the anti-sjw crowd and is going to be hilarious.

Having enjoyed all of Babylon 5 quite recently, I'm not sure what to think of this.
    On one hand the show deserves it, on the other hand it really should be left untouched.

I have mixed feelings on this. Its good JMS is in control, and I have faith in him, though it's questionable that it'll end up on the CW.

I also don't know why they are doing a ground up reboot, as opposed to exploring something new like the Earth-Dilgar war.

Quote Originally Posted by deepr View Post
    Having enjoyed all of Babylon 5 quite recently, I'm not sure what to think of this.
    On one hand the show deserves it, on the other hand it really should be left untouched.
    The great thing about good shows is that if they make bad versions of them the original doesn't change and you can keep enjoying that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

10+ Year Old Account
    just keep alex kurtzman far far away from it lol

Oh god its airing on the CW.... that does not bode well at all

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Yeah B5 is one of my all time favourites but CW is a big yikes. Supernatural aside they make utter trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Yeah B5 is one of my all time favourites but CW is a big yikes. Supernatural aside they make utter trash.
    iZombie was superior so you're off base a bit there buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by deepr View Post
    It will be untouched.

This new series isn't going to be the same storyline as the original.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Phayde View Post
    I have mixed feelings on this. Its good JMS is in control, and I have faith in him, though it's questionable that it'll end up on the CW.
    Considering the original series aired on PTEN...the CW is a giant step up...

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Absolutely not.

Leave B5 alone. I don't care who is involved. Do not do this.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Absolutely not.

Leave B5 alone. I don't care who is involved. Do not do this.
    It's already being done.

But hey, you're in luck because nobody is going to force you to watch it.

My kneejerk reaction is "why?" The CGI in the original Babylon 5 looks like hot garbage these days, but the show itself still holds up.

I can see why a continuation would be difficult, given how pivotal the main characters were to the world and events around them. But I'd really rather see them do something different set in that world, rather than go back over those events again.

Seems like it would have been more beneficial to put that money into updating the effects from the original show and leaving it as the masterpiece it is. But there were things in the original show that got changed because they never knew if they were going to be back the next year, so maybe this will be closer to the original plan? Who knows.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    Seems like it would have been more beneficial to put that money into updating the effects from the original show and leaving it as the masterpiece it is.
    A remastered version was released earlier this year. It has updated CGI and other visual and sound improvements. I never watched it during its original run but the remaster looks decent considering it’s still a show from the 90’s.

Maybe they did the remaster in preparation to do new things with the property.

Been pondering a re-watch of the whole thing for a while now but to be honest the dvd version didn't age that well. I don't really want to buy everything a second time on bluray, maybe if it were 4K.

I loved that show.

really excited for this - love B5!

Will it have a terrible first season like the original?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt it will be better, even with JMS, because he is older and not the same person. I expect lots of wokeness in line with the times, especially for reboots.
    If it can surprise me to be a good show like the original or better - great, if it can't - no biggy, the original is on my hard drive.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side