Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Will New World become more popular then WoW?

With the new Amazon MMO here and a very clear sign of people trying it out, now the question goes do you think the game will last? or will it fall like any other MMORPG out there? A big spike of activity just to fall into their shadow later?

I noticed steam user review scored like an average 44% score, mainly due the 10 hours queue time.

What is your thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    With the new Amazon MMO here and a very clear sign of people trying it out, now the question goes do you think the game will last? or will it fall like any other MMORPG out there? A big spike of activity just to fall into their shadow later?

I noticed steam user review scored like an average 44% score, mainly due the 10 hours queue time.

What is your thoughts?
    no, it wont come close to wow and will likely be dead right around a month from now.

10+ Year Old Account

What is your thoughts?
    Wrong section and it is a game vs. game topic technically.

And, yeah, no hopes for it honestly, and if people are grumpy about what is going on with Blizzard, then Amazon should also outrage you.

I hold my doubts it'll beat WoW in existence, players, it may spike but we don't know.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

If New World becomes more popular it’s more because of WoW killing itself rather than the game being that good. I think the game will do fine, but nothing groundbreaking with the numbers. It also heavily depends on how much Amazon will continue to support the game.

This is the game where settlements get actual mayors and stuff?

Yeah no thanks, who the heck wants to deal with that nonsense in their video game life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Wrong section and it is a game vs. game topic technically.

And, yeah, no hopes for it honestly, and if people are grumpy about what is going on with Blizzard, then Amazon should also outrage you.

I hold my doubts it'll beat WoW in existence, players, it may spike but we don't know.
    Pretty sure WoW is gonna bounce back in activity after a good solid expansion release and a big marketing hype.
    We must remember that WoW is in its worst state since release and still is holding strongest of them all.

But if the Amazon game does not impact wow at all due the fact it's not that popular then WoW might remain king for another few years.

10+ Year Old Account
    in 1 month it will be dead
    ...Le Poète est semblable au prince des nuées
    Qui hante la tempête e se rit de l'archer;
    Exilé sul le sol au milieu des huées,
    Ses ailes de géant l'empêchent de marcher.

Charles Baudelaire

New World will tie everyone over til Final Fantasy releases their new expansion. An by the time Wow decides to drop 9.2 Endwalker will have its first patch..

Wow's in trouble..

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure WoW is gonna bounce back in activity after a good solid expansion release and a big marketing hype.
    We must remember that WoW is in its worst state since release and still is holding strongest of them all.

But if the Amazon game does not impact wow at all due the fact it's not that popular then WoW might remain king for another few years.
    Currently, no game is able to take the throne, or even close. The closest one has already lost points by having to be remade after having to be killed off.

As well, their window for players on a server is currently very small compared to other MMORPGs.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by darklogrus View Post
    New World will tie everyone over til Final Fantasy releases their new expansion. An by the time Wow decides to drop 9.2 Endwalker will have its first patch..

Wow's in trouble..
    WoW would have to really screw it up to not have the next expansion end up with a lot of hype. If WoD couldnt kill WoW, and indeed was followed by Legion then I fail to see how the same cannot happen now.
    It isnt really even a case of Blizzard needing to "redeem" themselves. All they need to do is release an expansion that has stuff players want to do and not have it crash and burn like what Shadowlands did with Covid.

The only scenarios in which WoW doesnt get a huge upsurge is honestly if something even more catastrophic than Covid+Lawsuit kills it off, or Blizzard itself shuts it down. They could release the most middling of expansions and still rake in the hype from players that just want something new.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Honestly i had totally forgot new world was even a thing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darklogrus View Post

Wow's in trouble..
    Final Fantasy seems to got a big hit in activity when New World released, WoW activitiy seems by the looks of it, rather stable like usual.
    Means that FF14 gonna have bigger isues with New World then WoW.

Also WoW has a big ass player base even those who dont play. Each expansion got days long 1M+ viewers on twitch alone.
    Even though WoW is no longer as big as oldskool days. When something new happens, everyone wants to be there.

I doubt WoW is in real trouble but they gotta release content faster then they do now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akta View Post
    in 1 month it will be dead
    Nah, I give it 3 months.

The most it can hope for is to be another Eve.

Very few games have staying power anymore. Twitch fans are locusts, look at games like Fall Guys and Among Us and even Valheim to an extent. New World has a trash combat system and an awful art style, it'll be popular for a few weeks and then die like every other "big thing" that has released lately.

Hmf...if it were a contest then I'd say it's WoW's to lose.

10+ Year Old Account
    When something new happens, everyone wants to be there.
    Disagree, more people see new WoW events by watching streamers or just watching the cinematics on Youtube. That has a vastly wider audience than those who actually play the game.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Eh, depends on how solid the game is. Fun, engaging, replayable, accessible, etc. They don't have the brand name to carry their success like Warcraft and Final Fantasy do, but it is an Amazon product, so there is plenty of money to throw at advertising.

WoW is in such a shit state that now would be the time to try. I think the odds of it happening are slim to none, but just like WoW's sub numbers: you never really know.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only upcoming MMO that will give WoW and FFXIV a run for its money is Riot's upcoming League of Legends MMO.

That's it and that's all.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

What is your thoughts?
    WoW and New World aren't really the same type of game. New world has more sand box elements where WoW is almost solely a theme park. While they may compete against each other for a niche group of players, and while it may momentarily draw some players away from WoW, if you like WoW's model you'll be back because New World doesn't deliver that model.

No it wont
    There's also nothing stopping Blizzard from resurrecting both Arthas and Archimonde and turning them into super saiyans so that they can fuse and fight Sargeras