Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    I simply won't get fooled by games that try to hide the lack of content with lengthy "journeys". It's not exploration game like even Satisfactory where in order to progress advancement you have to explore and find new resource nodes. Its a simple grind combined with shopping list.

What point is to even explore? If you think about instead of telling no-arguments like "its not for everyone" you will realize how shallow it is. The only thing in NW that actually has some value is furniture.

Trying to compared it to ancient games is also nonsense. Times changed. Funny thing is XIV does this aspect better.

I am not saying NW is bad, I am saying its mediocre in those aspects (travel and crafting).
    In this case, exploration is a big part of content. You gather resources and advance your crafts so you can actually craft very good armours, weapons, jewellery, consumables etc, so you don't have to run dungeons or group content if you don't want to; not to mention that you get XP out of gathering and crafting. By doing this, you can be self-sufficient (because you are not limited to how many crafts you can have), make potentially loads of money at the trading post, buy yourself a nice house, furnish it... etc, if that's what you're into. It's supposed to be a player driven economy but we'll have to wait and see how that turns out.

Also housing is done a bit different than in FF for example. Here you don't have to wait for a house to become available, you only need to have the money to buy it. The player housing is instanced but the nicest house in that particular town will be the one being displayed and everyone can see it.

"The only thing in NW that actually has some value is furniture." - this is your point of view, ofc course.

FFXIV does many things right, I don't think anyone can argue against that but you can't really compare it with NW, they are very different games.

From my POV, if you replace all the characters in FFXIV with western-type ones, rename everything in game to something non-ridiculous like most of it is, it's an amazing game!
    I grew up with a different mentality, in a society where catgirls, bunny-boys and lallafel were/are a definite no-no. But again, that's just me and I'm sure millions of other people, especially the younger generation don't feel the same way... and that's completely fine.
    “There is no right or wrong, only consequences.”
    -------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Veya30 View Post
    Doubt it, they should have several content patches planned over the next 3 months. Those should open up the first 3 or more raids and half a dozen dungeons; also adding more pvp content. Game will begin to rival FF14 in popularity soon.
    Agreed this has huge potential, and no reason to not be excited af, i am, just be excited and enjoy, f peeps if they can't let themselves enjoy something for what it is.

Its been over decade since anything dared enter this genre, backed by the deepest pockets on the planet, all the drama this game endured and so far i'm overly impressed and is probably becasue i didn't board any hype train went in with no expectations and I'm so blown away at how well this turned out for launch.

Rival xiv soon? hey never know it may very well, at the minimum it's in the top list of major mmorpg's already, wow, xiv, eso, list goes on... and now New World!!! The thing is that list of games are all over a decade old. Ouch! That's how much damage wow caused the genre.
    looking out of my lonely room day after day

Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    Jesus why are people condemning the game so much? Its as if they are actively trying to make it a ghost-town or hope that it becomes one which is very bizarre to me.

- - - Updated - - -

This however is the other side of things where people also overexaggerate and hype the shit out of it. Rivaling XIV is a very hot take atm and I doubt it will.
    What new world needs is to find a core audience and build from there. And I have good hopes for that.
    Despite everyone here thinking XIV is the new FOTM that just recently sparked in popularity because of streamers, the game was doing fantastically well and growing even before and they way it did that is by establishing a core audience and finding an identity to stick to.
    Should new world follow a similar trajectory I think it will succeed. And it wont need millions of players to do this. XIV was doing just as find when it had a couple hundread thousand of players in ARR as it did when it reached the early millions in SB and ShB.
    I understand it’s a hot take, but New World has a lot going for it. Once they get more end game dungeons and raids added in; it will rival FF14 and ESO. Those are the top two MMO’s on the market right now. New World has already surpassed WoW in numbers.

Jesus why are people condemning the game so much? Its as if they are actively trying to make it a ghost-town or hope that it becomes one which is very bizarre to me.
    Thanks, that made me laugh so hard. I'm like "Welcome to the weird, odd, strange, heavily opinionated and peculiarly bizarre wonderment world of mmorpg players." You'll never find a more wretched hive of trolls and doomsayers.

They Be like: omg a new mmorpg???? it's been well over a decade since i needed to protect my "insert mmorpg here, usually wow" from doom, the place I've spent my whole life, the place i'm superior to all casual scum, i'm a big person there and i'm the most entitled pos in that game, without that i'm nothing. NEW WORLD SUCKS!!! lmao

I understand it’s a hot take, but New World has a lot going for it. Once they get more end game dungeons and raids added in; it will rival FF14 and ESO. Those are the top two MMO’s on the market right now. New World has already surpassed WoW in numbers.
    Let me state one thing first before I address this post. I actually really like NW so far and hope it does great.

With that being said there are some factual things here that need clarification.

1.) FF14 and ESO are the top two MMOs on the market: Not entirely true. We have no way of knowing sub numbers. What I can tell you from reliable enough metrics is that FF14 has PROBABLY (not definitely) surpassed WoW but I do not think TESO is there yet. Its a nice and polished game and has a very healthy playerbase though so it does not need to rival WoWs numbers tbh.
    2.) New World has surpassed WoW in numbers: I really doubt this is the case. And even if it was we are talking about day 1 players. An accurate representation of the games playerbase will come much further down the line when it has had time to cultivate an audience that stays long term. Advertised MMOs from big name companies always have a lot of players at launch. Its all about retention.

I really hope new world does well as I think there is a place for it in this market.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xpsync View Post
    Thanks, that made me laugh so hard. I'm like "Welcome to the weird, odd, strange, heavily opinionated and peculiarly bizarre wonderment world of mmorpg players." You'll never find a more wretched hive of trolls and doomsayers.

They Be like: omg a new mmorpg???? it's been well over a decade since i needed to protect my "insert mmorpg here, usually wow" from doom, the place I've spent my whole life, the place i'm superior to all casual scum, i'm a big person there and i'm the most entitled pos in that game, without that i'm nothing. NEW WORLD SUCKS!!! lmao
    Sadly it really do be like that. But we are in a WoW fan forum so... it is to be expected.

Sadly it really do be like that. But we are in a WoW fan forum so... it is to be expected.
    All part of the fun of being in the "mmorpg family" more less, wouldn't have it any other way.

So far, fairly middling. What little time I could get in and do anything was...average I guess? With the exception of SWTOR, I've never gone into any MMO with HYPE to save disappointment. If I had hyped this, I would be fairly disappointed. I hope it gets a little more interesting.

What are you smoking. Even at this stage wow has a large player base and i doubt new world and eso has surpassed it.

Yeah i guess wow players be worried af Veya30, it's as Delever mentioned, "to be expected". We are in a wow forum, bet all those peeps are heavily into wow like very deep, so they are going in to protect my life mode, anything threatening to their superior existence in wow the place they spent their whole life is going to met with major blow back, sadly.

I mean it's like swimming to a beach bbq through shark infested water with a juicy steak, you're going to be met with resistance.

Same vibes as Tabula Rasa, Rift and Warhammer.

Vision is big territorial world pvp fights but in reality these kinds of games die of pretty quickly after everyone gets bored of it. I was watching a twitch stream today and asked the guy what the point of the game was and why he was just killing things.

His answer "err.. to control territory, dunno".

Well.. and then what? Are you going to control it tomorrow.. or the day after what about next week? how many times are you going to pointlessly play until you realize there's no lore or story to keep you playing.

Quote Originally Posted by xpsync View Post
    Yeah i guess wow players be worried af Veya30, it's as Delever mentioned, "to be expected". We are in a wow forum, bet all those peeps are heavily into wow like very deep, so they are going in to protect my life mode, anything threatening to their superior existence in wow the place they spent their whole life is going to met with major blow back, sadly.

I mean it's like swimming to a beach bbq through shark infested water with a juicy steak, you're going to be met with resistance.
    I’m not sure why people are afraid of FF14 and WoW going down in numbers. New World being successful is good for us all. It’ll generate great content in FF14 and WoW.

I was able to play for ~2 hours yesterday right after work, with a queue of ~150 that took about 20 minutes, but then had some things to do and had to sign off. Then tried to play again at ~8 PM PST and the queue was ~900 so I signed off...I didn't have 2+ hours to even play, let alone wait to play. I'll hopefully be able to get on today right after work again and be able to play for longer.

I enjoyed it for what it is. There's clearly some stylistic choices going on, which I'm fine with. I do wish that you could dual wield (just looks funny with the hatchet only using one hand when a human is perfectly capable of holding something else in their other hand, like another hatchet or shield) but that's just a minor gripe. The game play is fine, nothing too spectacular, but it's pretty solid.

Definitely worth the price of entry IMO. It's not going to kill any existing MMO's out there, but I think it will do just fine and will end up being a game I play during lulls in my other MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostprotocol View Post
    Same vibes as Tabula Rasa, Rift and Warhammer.

Vision is big territorial world pvp fights but in reality these kinds of games die of pretty quickly after everyone gets bored of it. I was watching a twitch stream today and asked the guy what the point of the game was and why he was just killing things.

His answer "err.. to control territory, dunno".

Well.. and then what? Are you going to control it tomorrow.. or the day after what about next week? how many times are you going to pointlessly play until you realize there's no lore or story to keep you playing.
    The story in New World is really good. However, the streamers I saw yesterday were for, whatever reason, just clicking thru quests without reading them out loud to the audience.

Amazon is sponsoring you to play the game. You would think the devs that worked hard on the game would like their quests to be read. You’d think they wouldn’t sponsor streamers that were skipping content in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopsnacker View Post
    (I just bash on FF14 becasue it's really a aterrible weeb shit game for bad players )
    Dont forget to fill your copium tank.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Yes there is.
    Is it any good? Why do i see so few mentions of its content in promotional material or on here?
    It seems like a sandbox-y sort of thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Dont forget to fill your copium tank.
    One does not need to appreciate WoW to see that FF14 is indeed a "weeb shit" game that's mediocre at best.
    I mean i agree that WoW is shit at present, but that really doesn't mean that the other games suddenly become good.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostprotocol View Post
    I find it hard to believe you could possibly be from the same age as us, since you say shit that no real gamer would ever say.

Games don't need a shitty ass carrot on a stick, if the mechanics are fun we will play it forever.

Y'know, back when this philosophy didn't exist at all, what we considered as updates was custom maps and mods for our games, nobody gave a shit about sequels or chasing idiotic metas. Playing 5000 rounds of enemy territory was just as fun in the 5000th as it was in the first.

But alas, you're not that breed, you're the generic kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I’m not sure why people are afraid of FF14 and WoW going down in numbers. New World being successful is good for us all. It’ll generate great content in FF14 and WoW.
    Fear of reality, that their game isn't the end-all, of admitting being addicted to a game, etc.

This is somewhat similar to fanboyism's hostility towards others of different tastes in tv/film, music, whatever. I don't understand the abhorrence to novelty of ideas, instead of appreciating the good that other art brings. C'est la vie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopsnacker View Post
    Such a bad troll from a low poster again. Especially the mentioning of ESO made me laugh heavily while Final Fantasy is already down over 22% of players in steam as of now (which should be equal the players in every launcher via extrapolation -> one month hype is already over)
    Honestly, while the two posters frantically jerking off about NW are hilarious, using Steam as a metric for FFXIV players is extremely flawed, you can't just use a percentage from Steam and apply it to the standalone launcher without data to backup the idea that the ratio of players is remotely similar.

Lots of people bought FFXIV before it was on Steam and used the standalone launcher, many who quit and then came back recently will likely still use the standalone launcher without going through Steam (I know I did) and I'm sure plenty of genuinely new players didn't use Steam also. This means that the Steam metric ONLY counts new or returning players that decide to use Steam, it's not as simple as "X% of players using Steam quit, therefore X% of all players quit too."
    Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by KevyB View Post
    Games don't need a shitty ass carrot on a stick, if the mechanics are fun we will play it forever.
    But you won't, once those large multiplayer battles are gone so will you. I mentioned those other games because they also had all of those things at launch.. but they all left.

Speaking of mechanics it's actually one of the weak points of the game. The combat is clunky (it's actually quite terrible) and all I've seen so far is people just killing boars, cutting down trees and not much else. Someone mentioned the lore is good so I may be wrong but all the streams keep saying it's a sandbox mmo.

I'm not bashing the game, it's quite nice with hopefully some combat improvements but the vibes I got from playing it was.. 1 year from now it will mostly be empty unless they add some themepark content to it.

People are so desperate...that's the only reason new world can even pull high numbers atm. The game will be pretty dead in 1-2 years.