I think the casting of almost everyone was pretty on point, maybe except for the bad guy chasing ciri, the dude felt completely flat and harmless. Yenefer took a bit for me to like but I saw it in the end. Triss was just a complete misfire and I can't comprehend that casting choice. She was completely uninteresting, though she didn't get much of a chance to be interesting and looked nothing like the character.

10+ Year Old Account
    So Nightmare of the Wolf was expectedly disappointing .. good animation, but I cannot look at this Vesemir Belmont as Vesemir. Seriously it's trying so hard to be Castlevania. Also it has a wannabe Yennefer of Vengerberg, and Vesemir Belmont in a hot tub, because 'remember that scene from the video game that became a meme, and remember they put it in the TV show too, now we got it here, look look look, memes, you love memes'. I swear to god that was this movie, and I hated it.

also that animie flying may have worked in Castlevania, but I hate it in the Witcher, not every western cartoon needs to try and be a Japanese anime with people flipping around like they are made of bed springs... stop doing this damn shit.

I dunno what this movie is even trying to be. Its a mess.

Me no like.. me feel very dirty, maybe I'll go bath in a tub like Geralt did. These Netflix shows love scene for some reason.
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-08-23 at 01:09 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Story was... acceptable though predictable. But as above, too much 'Castlevania' style fighting with ridiculous feats coming even from a witcher or a sorceress.... the action scenes are not very grounded.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2021-08-24 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorshen View Post
    Story was... acceptable though predictable. But as above, too much 'Castlevania' style fighting with ridiculous feats coming even from a witcher or a sorceress.... the action scenes are not very grounded.
    It was an acceptable style IMO. If you want it to appear like the game we all liked so much, sure you'll be disappointed. Similar to how the Star Wars animated works have completely different fighting styles to the movies, I still liked them and the same went for this flic.

My main issue, the intro was very questionable. Vesimir is just too different to the one we know but as a character, he was a standard lavish asshole that matured toward the end. It's not new or original but it worked.

I give it a 7/10. Decent animation and music. As a standalone film, it worked but nothing amazing.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    My main issue, the intro was very questionable. Vesimir is just too different to the one we know but as a character, he was a standard lavish asshole that matured toward the end. It's not new or original but it worked.
    The way I saw it, it explained why Vessimir is so strict now. What he lived through molded him into the man he eventually became. I assume they put this out as the next season may bring it up.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I'm a little surprised it got a second season, but on the other hand, people in my office who would never read a fantasy book or play a fantasy video game liked it because it was "like a lower budget game of thrones."

Quote Originally Posted by Sorshen View Post
    The Witcher saga gets pretty wild with what a Sorceress can do. A certain male sorcerer that is the main antagonist does some incredibly powerful shit that any Witcher would sell half their lifespan to be able to do.

He EFFORTLESSLY kills a Higher Vampire, something Geralt wouldn't fight for all the money in the world if he could he lp it

Yennefer also has a few crazy feats. They're really strong.

Geralt's best feat is taking on 4 master assassins that ambush him, and even though he ends up half-dead, the guy won a 1v4 fight against REALLY STRONG human enemies.

I liked the ''Anime'' film, I think there was some good stuff in though there's also a bunch of things I didn't like ( spoilers ahead ):

- Vesemir being a fuccboi even after the time skip. Just doesn't fit a being that's 70 years old.
    - Not a fan of the reasons for the Keep attack. A Witcher making monsters to stay relevant makes perfect sense to me, but humans teaming up with monsters is nonsense. Gilcrest would probably be the first to die, killed by her own mob.
    - Vesemir not running/looking for Illiyana ( spelling ) for 60 years is kind of a dick move. Wasn't he saying he was going to take care of her? Then he just... gave up on finding h er? Bruh.
    - That swamp scene where kids are mowed down seems stupid and done for shock value. 6 out of 10 already die from the Alchemical Mutations, why would you send kids to fight monsters bare handed? You lost most of them before you even get to the dangerous part.
    - Timeline wise, Geralt/Lambert/Eskel did not ALL come at the same time to the school
    - If Remus ( The Witcher the Striga killed, he is the fourth of Geralt's clutch I expected more emotion from Geralt when he found him dead. He sees Vesemir as his dad canonically so Remus would be a brother.

The good:

- Music is great
    - Animation is great
    - That last scene is beautiful and nearly got me to tear up
    - First time we see a Witcher cry!

8/10 all in all.
    Last edited by starstationprofm; 2021-08-25 at 10:09 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    The Witcher season 3 has been confirmed.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...153200853.html
    Tue, September 28, 2021, 4:18 PM

While we all patiently wait for The Witcher season two to drop this December, we also have some very exciting news about The Witcher season three. Here's everything we know about the third instalment of the much-loved fantasy show.

When was The Witcher season 3 confirmed?

Netflix *officially* confirmed the show was happening on 25 September 2021. "Toss a coin to our growing Witcher universe!" they wrote. "We can officially announce The Witcher Season 3, along with a second anime feature film, and a new Kids and Family series set in the world of The Witcher."

new clips

That's good news and I do hope the S2 will do at least as good as the first one.
    P.S.
    Still waiting for that W3 DLC

A shame the trailer was just season 1 clips for the most part
    Well...maybe is better that way. No spoilers.

Season 1 was one of my favorite series of all time.
    I only found the dragon episode weird with the voice acting and effects

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    That's good news and I do hope the S2 will do at least as good as the first one.
    P.S.
    Still waiting for that W3 DLC
    Haven't tried the games, but can't escape that w3 is super popular, will they do a w4 ??

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Haven't tried the games, but can't escape that w3 is super popular, will they do a w4 ??
    No one knows but realistically yes, they will. W3 was their great success. In any case it is not gonna be released within next few years. Especially after CP2077...
    Last edited by Easo; 2021-09-29 at 06:08 PM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't usually mind (or care) about spinoffs from popular tv shows and 'Kid friendly' versions of fantasy and scifi worlds. Far as I'm concerned, its all good.

But I'm really struggling with the idea of a "kid friendly" witcher-world tv show. Because this world is NOT AT ALL, in ANY WAY, Kid friendly =D - without changing the entire 'witcher world'. Or maybe perhaps, without 'gutting' the witcher world down into just "Good Guy with Magic Kills Monsters."

And that's fine. Tons of kids shows have that same trope. Just makes me twitch to think about it being "Witcher" instead of just "Any Label you want show about Guy with Magic Killing Monsters." But I get it. Its $$ On that label.

Cuz I mean if they make it MORE than that, and make it more 'true' to the canon of this world - its no longer "for kids." The brutal, harsh, and dark reality that is Witcher Land (From the books even more than the game and the game is darker than the tv show) - kids are often orphaned, often abandoned, often abused, regularly seen as 'acceptable sacrifices' for everyone else - its just not Kid Friendly. Give me the same head-turn/HUH? reaction as if someone said they wanted to make a kid-friendly version of "Handmaiden's Tale' or "Schlindler's List." =D

But good luck Netflix! Kid shows about good guys killing monsters with magic are still fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    No one knows but realistically yes, they will. W3 was their great success. In any case it is not gonna be released withing next few years. Especially after CP2077...
    Yea, first they are releasing the new, updated, enhanced Witcher 3 version (next month? this year anyway) with "netflix" related content.

I *believe* I read somewhere they (CD Project Red) are getting the ground work going for Witcher 4, so I believe it is in the plans right now - but I wouldn't expect anything in less than 5 years. Or well, let me correct that, anything comparable to Witcher 3 and 'worth playing' vs. a game they pushed out 'fast' to capitalize on the show. (And therefore having the great risk of only being the same in name and nothing else.)
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

W3 is on sale pretty often, put in on your wishlist to get it for a tenner. However, well worth even full price. Console versions get a remaster later this or probably more next year. PC version has HD texture mods already.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Yea, first they are releasing the new, updated, enhanced Witcher 3 version (next month? this year anyway) with "netflix" related content.

I *believe* I read somewhere they (CD Project Red) are getting the ground work going for Witcher 4, so I believe it is in the plans right now - but I wouldn't expect anything in less than 5 years. Or well, let me correct that, anything comparable to Witcher 3 and 'worth playing' vs. a game they pushed out 'fast' to capitalize on the show. (And therefore having the great risk of only being the same in name and nothing else.)
    The official deadline has not changed and is still "until the end of 2021", with the show related DLC released together with the enhanced edition (seems obvious that they will go together, realistically it should not be anything else than armor/weapons/maybe character looks from the show, so a small one). Practically and rumours wise - pushed to next year, thanks to CP2077 and pandemic.
    As for W4 - I am sure they have done at least some initial ground work, 5 years have passed after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Give me the same head-turn/HUH? reaction as if someone said they wanted to make a kid-friendly version of "Handmaiden's Tale' or "Schlindler's List." =D

But good luck Netflix! Kid shows about good guys killing monsters with magic are still fun.
    So the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas? Kids media can touch on some super dark stuff, it covers a large range of ages and development stages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Apparently CDP started recruitment for "open world RPG" recently, but the setting is unknown. Could be a big DLC for Cyberpunk, could be a new IP, could be W4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    W3 is on sale pretty often, put in on your wishlist to get it for a tenner. However, well worth even full price. Console versions get a remaster later this or probably more next year. PC version has HD texture mods already.
    Oh, it seems I have it, all 3 even, I'm a bit of a completionist sometimes, in odd ways (I have loads of books n bookshelves, I might have read as much as 5%, if that)...must have gotten them really cheap on one of those pre-christmas sales, i see the command n conquer rts is on 50% now, hopefully lower before xmas

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    So the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas? Kids media can touch on some super dark stuff, it covers a large range of ages and development stages.
    I'd comment except I have no idea what you are referencing - sorry. Never heard of it.

But while I agree on the rest of what you said (kids media can be dark - large range of ages etc) - I'm just balancing the odds of what Netflix is going to want to make (something least offensive/most watchable to widest range of ages) vs. how 'dark' that /usually/ ends up being for 'family friendly' fare.

But as a child who watched the animated "Watership Down" an unknown number of times before the age of 7 - I do get that kids can enjoy and be mature enough for dark things. I was all into the dark things (still am). (Ending of the 80s My Little Pony Movie anyone? =D) But I also get that isn't usually what Hollywood Types are thinking of/going for when they are making 'kid friendly' tv shows.

Not saying it won't be good or even awesome. Just struck me as a...more difficult/complicated IP to do this with successfully - thus a more 'huh well that's an interesting idea to pursue' when it comes to tv writing. (We shall see if they pull it off with any success or not.)
    Last edited by Koriani; 2021-10-06 at 05:27 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

5+ Year Old Account
    "gentlemen, it's been an honor" awww...

Sorry about the god-awful trailer music from hell...you should go listen to something good to detox that shit..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-10-29 at 07:07 PM.