• Battle for Azeroth was the most enjoyable of the 3

135 24.02%
  • Shadowlands was/is still the most enjoyable of the 3

127 22.60%
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Forgot about that twitter shit.
    Oh! And the camera for selfies... WoD seemed to epitomize "wasted resources."
    That stuff is usually trivial to implement. At the end of the day it's a more a sign of that they didn't have anything else to show for it.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felis igneus View Post
    I think the issue is more that alot of people have forgotten how bad WoD was. Because even if the leveling was decent (so was BfA imho), the 21 months that followed were not. People underestimate how bad it is to play an expansion with no content, even though they are currently experiencing it in SL again. While this was always going to be a difficult descision, the langslide win for WoD right now is certainly not free of rose-tinted goggles. I've seen Ashran being mentioned positively alot as well, which iirc is not how it was received back then at all, since people were constantly complaining how it was neither rewarding nor fun.
    The lack of content outside of raiding was a pro, not a con, of WoD for me and quite a few others. The lack of content is precisely why I liked WoD the best out of those 3, because I fucking hate most of the content in SL and BfA. I don't like WQs, I don't like M+, and I absolutely hate having to spend over a dozen hours just getting a freshly max level character up to being viable for even a normal raid.

I hate M+ with a passion; it is repeating content that I've never enjoyed in a way that does nothing to make it remotely more enjoyable. I hate WQs with a passion, I preferred daily hubs where you only needed to spend a maximum of 20-30 minutes per day for a couple of weeks to be entirely finished with a faction. I hate being rooted to the ground, the loss of flying in current content only serves to further annoy me when grinding content that is trivial in difficulty.

The lack of proper PvE gear vendors to allow you to target and plan upgrades, instead of being 100% at the mercy of RNG every lockout. I like some of the content in SL, but I absolutely hate the implementation of the systems side of it. Covenants being tied power is something I strongly dislike; I would've enjoyed them had they provided purely cosmetic rewards and had no ties to player power. The Great Vault is just a worse version of bonus rolls, because you have zero control over boss's loot table it pulls from.

My short rant for BfA: Essences, Corruptions, Azerite traits, WQs, the lack of flying, and M+ being the most efficient way to gear up all sucked (in particular because I can't stand M+, it just turns something mildly tedious into something more tedious without adding any fun for me).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kixxenn View Post
    See everyone has different tastes. I don't share that same sentiment. The raids were not bad by any means. Still I kinda dragged myself through those raids. Compared to all the raids ever released in this franchise. Personally for me,[I] I enjoyed Highmaul the most from that expansion.
    I most enjoyed HFC, at least until it got the end of expansion blues. As usual, it palled because there was nothing else to do for months. I don't actually think the raids were that great. They were not very visually interesting, and for every cool boss there was one that was frustrating or dull. That said, they beat BfA's (I've not raided at all in SL, so I can't speak to them). Again WoD wins because the two competitors are so weak. I did like a lot of the WoD 5-mans though.

Compared to other expansions, WoD's raids were better than Emerald Nightmare, but worse than the rest of Legion. They were better than some of MoP's early raids, but ToT beat them easily. SoO was about the same level as SoO, perhaps the little better. Compared to Cataclysm, WoD beat Dragon Soul (which has to be the worst final-tier raid ever), but Firelands was superior to any of WoD's raids. All in my opinion, of course.

And nothing beats Ulduar.

As for Ashran, it was the second failed attempt to replicate Wintergrasp, and like Tol Barad they managed to miss the things that made Wintergrasp work (just like they've never managed to get their Timeless Isle repeats to work).

Wintergrasp had a strong incentive to win (as did Tol Barad, at least) in the world boss(es). Wintergrasp and TB were on fixed timers, so you'd get grouped up and hyped up for the match. WG was uninstanced and thus just your server, so you got to recognise opponents, and build a history with certain guilds and players on both sides. WG gave a reason to be there outside of the battles - the best gathering was in WG (but you could still get the stuff outside it, so carebears didn't have to risk dirty PvP if they didn't want to), so there was a reason to risk getting ganked. This meant that there were likely people there, so world PvPers could go there with a reasonable chance of seeing some action. No flight in WG actually worked, and because it was a limited and optional area, it didn't affect the game at large.

Ashran had pretty much none of these things, and had obnoxious mobs all over the place as well, so even if the other faction wasn't present it was useless outside a group environment.

7+ Year Old Account
    That stuff is usually trivial to implement. At the end of the day it's a more a sign of that they didn't have anything else to show for it.
    Definitely agree here - the Selfie Camera feels a lot like someone's fun weekend project that got put into the game, rather than something that was planned and allocated resources for.

i havent played SL yet so i cant say much on that but between BFA and WoD. i rather played WoD again. i was one of the rare ones that actually enjoyed Ashran a lot.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

SL is literally ripcord away from being good.
    WoD was great for alts and BfA sucked until 8.2
    9.1.5 addresses alt problem and if 9.2.0 is any good, it's on the same ground as BfA, and if there is no fuck up like 8.3 corruption RNG fest it will be the best out of 3

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Council View Post
    I rather played WoD again. i was one of the rare ones that actually enjoyed Ashran a lot.
    I hated Trashran with a burning passion, and still do until this day. However, I would very much replay the entirety of WoD rather than logging in to Borelands even once.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    I find it fascinating how players just suddenly one day switched on a dime from Legion being a horrible bug-ridden expansion filled with grind and pointless busywork to declaring it truly great.

Legiondaries were a plague on the game, and it took most of its lifespan until it got even close to being fixed. Alts were probably about as bad as they were ever going to be, only held up by the promise of 12 different campaigns and a unique mount.
    The grind was immense, and was further something which hamstrung not just alts, but off-specs. The only reason we don't say it is what truly killed off-specs as a concept in Legion is that the issue of Legiondaries was infinitely worse.
    Spreading content out on every single individual class meant that most of the campaigns ended up being filler, and not to mention heavily reliant on mission table timegates.
    7.2 was probably one of the most pitiful excuses for a patch we have had other than 6.1. The epic questline leading up to killing Kil'jaeden was comprised of a grand total of 2 unique quests per class, and a whole bunch of weekly quests amounting to busywork like finding 10 chests or killing 100 demons.

You wouldnt believe how full of vitriol the playerbase was towards Legion while it was current. It's saving grace was really only it's patch cadence being pretty close to perfect, as well as the story leaning heavily into just being cool rather than being deep, and even that led to some awful grinding of gears when you got to stuff like Illidan never meeting with Malfurion of Tyrande despite being literally on the same island fighting the same enemies.

Legion is the example I will always give of why an expansion will never be judged fairly while it is current. Because noone seemed interested in considering how Suramar was a wonder of a zone, all they wanted to discuss was how shit the experience was to play.

No expansion will ever be given a fair shake while it is current. It takes at least being able to judge it in its entirety to compare and contrast it to other expansions.
    This is a late reply, but the reason is content. For all the specific complaints people have about x y or z, content makes it all better. It's cynical, but I honestly think that many players would be much happier if the game spat out very mediocre content as long as it was quick.

I mean, this is basically how network television, youtube, and the publishing industry work, too. Content is king.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

15+ Year Old Account
    I did not get to vote on the poll, but I would have voted for WoD. It was one of my favorite expansions because it was the only expansion outside of Legion that I was subbed for the entire expansion. I was enjoying my time playing thru the grindy things for my main, I liked raiding even if my work schedule made it difficult on my main to raid with my guild on any sort of a consistent basis, but I could play alts and not feel like I was missing out by not grinding artifact power or azerite or getting power from a necklace. The Diabloification of WoW is real though. Everything is a random loot bag that could give you an upgrade, most likely not, but it COULD and that is the draw to do content on my main outside of raiding and I really do not like that, at all. It's the worst type of content. It started in Legion and is continuing in SL (although to be fair, I have not played for close to 3 years due to having a family, but I still talk to a couple of the very few friends remaining in the game and keep up to date with happenings in my guild as best as I can in discord. I stopped playing TBC because every guild I joined could not get 25 consistently enough to get past kara and I did not have a work schedule to allow me to raid the certain days that any guild higher did. WotLK was kind of the same, but i did finally get into a guild and got to raid at the start of the expansion before work changed again. At the beginning of Cata I joined the guild I was in at the time of me quitting and I raided when my work schedule allowed it, and I never really hated not being able to raid (I still played a lot) until Legion when I would "finish" the mandatory stuff on my main and I would not want to play my alt because of the artifacts, even if doing the class quests was fun, everything else on alts was mostly not. BFA I ended up leveling up 1 character to max level which was the least characters I leveled to max after having 11 or 12 in WoD (2 hunters, no Mage or monk whichever number that makes minus DHs obv) I got 10 to max in Legion for quests and never touched any of them because of Azerite and the horrendously large zones I could not fly in. Not having flying in WoD did not seem bad at all and the perception is we got it much quicker. Not having flying in Legion, BFA seemed so super awful.

BFA would have to be the worst expansion for me followed by TBC just on my experience even though when I played TBC it was super fun and I enjoyed it a lot, I just could not get a guild for the life of me to get me out of Kara. Without playing SL, and it having much of the same issues with repeatable grinding or you start to miss out, I would probably like it less than BFA and I liked some of the zone stories in there (Just not the overarching one). Based on how much time I was subscribed, for me it would go WotLK, WoD, Legion, Cata, MoP, TBC, BFA.
    -----Marzix-----
    ---Hellscream---

Quote Originally Posted by OneSoulLegion View Post
    Definitely agree here - the Selfie Camera feels a lot like someone's fun weekend project that got put into the game, rather than something that was planned and allocated resources for.
    That's exactly what it was.

Shadowlands > BfA >>>>>> WoD

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

How do allied races help with the monotony of leveling? They are just new races (most of them made on the cheap) that do the same leveling...
    Because before BFA, the last new race we received was in MoP which was over 6 years prior. I'll grant that most of them were cheap and low-effort (though to be fair, this is Blizzard we're talking about and that has been their modus operandi for years at this point) but some of them (Vulpera, Kul Tirans) could have been introduced on their own and would have been received well.

But it broke the monotony for me because it gave me something new to look at and motivated me to level new classes. Some people, like myself, enjoy the aesthetic of things.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticDreamer View Post
    Because before BFA, the last new race we received was in MoP which was over 6 years prior. I'll grant that most of them were cheap and low-effort (though to be fair, this is Blizzard we're talking about and that has been their modus operandi for years at this point) but some of them (Vulpera, Kul Tirans) could have been introduced on their own and would have been received well.

But it broke the monotony for me because it gave me something new to look at and motivated me to level new classes. Some people, like myself, enjoy the aesthetic of things.
    I agree about Kul Tirans, they are one of the very few things that Blizz did well in BfA. Gotta love dem fatties
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

It's hilarious how many people are picking WoD as the "most enjoyable", considering it's the worst expansion ever, scrapped mid way through, half-assed content or lack there of (you literally had -one- apex crystal daily to do besides raiding and challenge modes). Oh, and Ashran lol.

Don't forget the best .1 patch EVER in the history of WoW with the S.E.L.F.I.E. cam and TWITTER integration and, erm, NO NEW CONTENT WHATSOEVER! The best aspect about WoD was getting axed and having them focus resources to make an amazing Legion expansion!

Yep, WoD was definitely the most enjoyable. Let's all join in the wod-redtinted-extravaganza!

Shadowlands = BFA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WOD

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD for sure. It had beautiful zones that while cluttered and often tricky to traverse for the first time weren't nearly as over-cluttered as what would come in the following three expansions. Seriously, Draenor was gorgeous. MoP-era skills had yet to be thorougly gutted, so while Arcane wasn't as fun as throughout MoP, it was still more fun to play than in Legion or the current crap. The quests and lore that we got before Blizz decided to abandon the expansion was great, as I was never bothered by the time shenanigans. It was pretty nice seeing classic characters outside of different versions of Hell.

It featured some of the best dungeons and raids. I didn't dislike a single raid, and before quitting at the start of SL still frequently soloed them for fun and transmog. The Everbloom is still my favourite outdoor dungeon. It introduced bonus objectives, which were mostly fun unlike now and the end of BfA. Tier sets were still a thing and were actually good looking for the classes I played. It ushered in the first wave of updated charactert models. The Ogre models were fantastic, although not giving the Horde a playable clan or letting us visit the so-called "ogre continent" were tragically missed opportunities. Garrisons should've been better, but were still neat and laid the groundwork for the phenomenal class halls in Legion.

So yeah, WoD delivered great content before getting abandoned and had better class design than any of the expansions after it. Plus it featured prettier assets that are still being used. Getting a toy camera is still better than grinding AP or having emotes gutted, right?
    Last edited by saintminya; 2021-10-05 at 06:02 AM.

WoD is still funding my sub fees and that allows me to never have to pay for a Blizzard product ever again

Raids were fucking amazing too

Wheres the none-of-the-above option? Honestly they were all shite shows for one reason or another.

If I genuinley had to pick the LEAST evil of the three, probably WoD, but only BECAUSE it had SOME good ideas.

honestly probably WoD because they hadn't destroyed the classes yet.

BFA, it had the least amount of garbage systems and cow clicker shit out of the three.