Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Everyone on here being all cocky, while they are playing cold sorc lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    Everyone on here being all cocky, while they are playing cold sorc lol.
    Please elaborate?

I see neither cocky, nor a reason to mock the sorceress? or the player...

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Please elaborate?

I see neither cocky, nor a reason to mock the sorceress? or the player...
    I think he means people go across threads like this going, GAME EASY KEKW, when new players says the game is kinda hard. But all they spam is hammerdin, blizz sorc and trapsin. No shit if you know the OP builds that can solo the game near naked, IT MIGHT BE EASY, BECAUSE YOU KNOW.

Playing a zeal+aoe aura specced paladin, definitely felt way easier. I absolutely overgeared/overleveled Andariel and Duriel, first issues appeared with the little goblin things in the jungle (every other mob melted), Mephisto was harder but was still facetanked, then Hell's firebreathing demons almost killed me few times, still easish.
    Now Diablo.. urgh. Had to play the town portal game repeatedly until he finally died. Now let's see what Act 5 will bring.
    This is, of course, on normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    I think he means people go across threads like this going, GAME EASY KEKW, when new players says the game is kinda hard. But all they spam is hammerdin, blizz sorc and trapsin. No shit if you know the OP builds that can solo the game near naked, IT MIGHT BE EASY, BECAUSE YOU KNOW.
    I would probably technically disagree with the notion that any class is OP when just starting. A sorceress is extremely weak when caught by surprise and no one has any OP gear yet. I guess a Paladin could be the easiest to get max res in hell, but apart from that, not a single serious person in this thread has made a comment about the game being easy, one or two individuals ignored, because we all know the game isn't actually easy. So the general reaction in here is not mocking the OP at all. Now, this might just be me, playing a sorceress on HC and having been very close to death at least a few times and having that recollection of 18 years ago as well. I'm not looking forward to super fast cold immunes on Hell mode

The OP asked whether the game is harder now, compared to before and the answer is, no it's not. But it makes sense that you feel weaker, because you don't have the gear and probably, just like me, forgot certain things even existed.

So, again. None here underestimate the difficulty. It's just not harder compared to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    The game is way easier than when I played back in the day just due to having respecs, 1.10+ runewords, and just having better knowledge of the game.

Spirit has been amazing for leveling and I actually didn't know it existed back when I played. Stealth was really good and even after I replaced it I wonder if I should have kept it. My pally is running double spirit, capped on resists in hell. I'm working on Act 4 now.
    How are you capped on resists in hell? I have plenty of damage level 72 and hammers are at like 4k flat, but I'm not sure where to get more resists. I have about 1200hp and 1600 def in HS right now, and have like 15% resist all, except fire which is like -35%. I get obliterated pretty quickly if I get hit. I have dual spirit, lore helm, a stealth 200 def chest, a decent all res ammy with +2 offensive auras, but my rings/belt, gloves, and boots are just MF fodder at this point. Not sure what to do, but I'd love it if my merc didn't die the first second we step foot anywhere, despite having a good insight polearm, a 1300 def chest piece, and 50% resists.

I'd love some ideas on what I should be doing right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's very much possible to screw yourself over if your build is bad, even in normal. That being said D2 is in general harder than games these days so if you're not familiar with D2 i can understand if you're having trouble.

Just killed Duriel. Walk in the park as Firepaws Werebear druid so far. I only died 3 times due to greediness and unlucky unshaping during huge packs. I will miss the horadric staff though. The AS on it with paws was insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    a stealth 200 def chest
    That seems like a weak choice by the time you reach hell. If you're struggling on res try something like Smoke.

Your gear overall seems starter level - which is entirely fine, but don't just expect to be able to do everything. Find something that works particularly well, and farm farm farm. D2 is all about being efficient with your farming; since there's very little fractional progression, all you can do is pump numbers to get the significant drop events faster/more. It sounds stupid, but if you want to get the best value out of your time then sometimes you just have to clear Pits 1,000 times or whatever. That's the core gameplay loop of D2.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    Walk in the park
    OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    I only died 3 times
    I feel a contradiction

your rant makes no sense.

No build works without gear. You think hammerdin just starts with an enigma runeword?

Get a clue if you are gonna spew toxicity

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    That seems like a weak choice by the time you reach hell. If you're struggling on res try something like Smoke.

Your gear overall seems starter level - which is entirely fine, but don't just expect to be able to do everything. Find something that works particularly well, and farm farm farm. D2 is all about being efficient with your farming; since there's very little fractional progression, all you can do is pump numbers to get the significant drop events faster/more. It sounds stupid, but if you want to get the best value out of your time then sometimes you just have to clear Pits 1,000 times or whatever. That's the core gameplay loop of D2.
    I needed someone to basically cheese me through act 2 (I could kill Duriel easily, but fuck the maggot lair.). I made it through act 3 pretty trivially. I'd love to craft Smoke, but Lum rune doesn't exist so I'm beat there. I did find a dwarf star ring which helped my fire res issue a good bit.

We'll see how Act 4 goes.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    your rant makes no sense.

No build works without gear. You think hammerdin just starts with an enigma runeword?

Get a clue if you are gonna spew toxicity
    You need enigma to farm efficiently, not to make d2 hell easy as a hammerdin, it is, theres a handful of magic immune in the game that youd need to teleport around or you can just smite them.

I know this because i played d2 for a good decade lol. Yes if you laugh at people saying the game is pretty hard, but play the season start meta: hammerdin, blizz sorc, trap ass. Its easy, because you have that knowledge a new player doesent.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I'd love to craft Smoke, but Lum rune doesn't exist so I'm beat there.
    Farm Hell Countess. That's a good way to start out when you're fresh.

Im playing a summoner focused necro and was doing fine till I got to Diablo on normal. He would just melt my army in 2 seconds and I was left without any offensive options.

Thats when I rerolled my abilities slightly and focused on rolling 3 different curses and using the buff merc from act 2. It was still tough and took a bunch of resummons but I got diablo down eventually.
    I think I was level 27ish

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    OK.

I feel a contradiction
    Hehe indeed. It was my own fault / greediness though

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Im playing a summoner focused necro and was doing fine till I got to Diablo on normal. He would just melt my army in 2 seconds and I was left without any offensive options.

Thats when I rerolled my abilities slightly and focused on rolling 3 different curses and using the buff merc from act 2. It was still tough and took a bunch of resummons but I got diablo down eventually.
    I've always found summon necro tough in solo, if you don't have corpses you get screwed. But I'm also bad at the game so there's that :P

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Been playing solo, SMN necro, laziest most laid back build in the game (imo). Got through normal, once skele mastery was up high enough they tanked everything fine. Even duriel didn't give me much trouble when I got to him on normal.

Just hit NM and my buddy was on, we're both around the same level, so we jumped into a games together. He's an ice orb sorc.

He proceeded to kill everything long before I could get there, as well as port to and loot every rune before I even noticed it dropped, not like I could have run there in time anyway.

10/10 working just as I remember it.

rerolling sorc now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post

I had this issue when i first hit diablo too. I had forgotten to stick a point into summon resist. If you haven't done that, either reroll with Akara or grind out one more level in tal rashas tomb and drop a point in there (or instead of tomb just keep repeating the champ packs in diablos sanctuary, I prefer tomb, much lazier =P)

My skeleton was maxed I think and my mastery was somewhere around 10, with 1 pt in resist, 1 pt in teeth and into amp damage. 1 pt in clay golem.

I would jump in with my act 2 merc, clay golem, and skeles. use myself as bait until diablo went after the clay golem, and just kept recasting him and doding his aoe while the skeles did a bit of damage before being wiped out by his aoe.

Then I'd port out, restock and repeat. took a long while at 27 with pretty low resist, but eventually, Diablo would derp long enough and not aoe my skeles instantly for them to get him down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

You need enigma to farm efficiently, not to make d2 hell easy as a hammerdin, it is, theres a handful of magic immune in the game that youd need to teleport around or you can just smite them.

I know this because i played d2 for a good decade lol. Yes if you laugh at people saying the game is pretty hard, but play the season start meta: hammerdin, blizz sorc, trap ass. Its easy, because you have that knowledge a new player doesent.
    But the OP is not a new player. I think so far only one person said he was a new player, in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by seta-san View Post
    so i've been playing diablo 2 off and on since it first came out and a lot in the last couple months...then i got resurrected last night and it kind of shocked me. not because of any of the graphics or anything like that..

i'm getting my ass kicked in act 1 normal mode and i can't figure it out.

it seems like there are boss and champion packs everywhere and they can seem to have limitless hp...

i thought.. maybe it's just my gear or something. i finally got to andarial at the end of act 1 and it's totally the normal difficulty i would have expected..

anyone else experiencing this stuff or know what's up?
    Not read the rest of the thread. But in Diablo the key is to just over prepare for the task at hand by staying ahead of the curve on levels, and play with others if possible. So at the start of the game it doesn't hurt to stick around in early act 1 and farm Tristram for a few levels (this is super quick if you do it in a public game with others). Then you could progress to the Black Marsh and farm the Forgotten tower, now overprepared from Tristram you can kill the elites for XP and the Countess for Runes, which you can then use to make cheap runewords like Leaf, Stealth, Steel, Malice, Nadir, Zephyr etc, even just one of these will make a big difference and then you're ready to face Andariel without getting crushed.

If you're new to the game and playing solo in a linear progression you're going to find times where progress may be difficult (like in Maggots lair, viper temple, arcane sanctuary, tal rasha tombs, duriel, travincal, plains of despair, chaos sanctuary, frozen river and worldstone, and the key is to overprepare by not progressing linearly and even more to play with others if at all possible.

and i'm even getting my ass kicked by imp packs.. there seems to be more of them in a pack and the shamen seem to be resurrecting the imps at rates that are incredibly hard to keep up with and even more packs with multiple shamen. also it feels like the shamen are resurrecting from half way across the map.
    With these packs and the skele summoner guys in act 2 you have to kill the shaman/summoner first and ignore the imps/skeles, if you can't do that you should just skip them if at all possible. If you can't skip or kill them you simply need to go get stronger by farming items/xp or playing with others. There may be differences from the old game tho, the Travincal Council and also the Chaos Sanctuary Knights seem to be insta healing each other to full health constantly, such that unless you have the brute force damage to overwhelm them you need to separate them and kill them alone, thats something I've never had to do in D2, I don't remember them full healing and when I tested it I didn't see it happening either.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4