Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Unlock Glyphs for Character ProgressionIinstead of Locked Behind a Profession

Glyphs have become an intrinsic part of how we play our classes, too essential to be locked behind any arbitrary profession.

Instead of Glyphs, Scribes should become liek Alchemists in the sense of creating only temporary buffs like potions do.

Updates:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    More glyphs are welcome as well.

Doesn't change the fact that an entire customization system is locked behind an arbitrary profession.

It's just as idiotic as locking the entire transmog system behind enchanting for example. Yes, scrolls should be the main reason people play Scribes just as potions are the main reason people play alchemists.

Thank God that isn't the case, but I'm sure some less mentally savy people would argue in favor of it anyways.
    like how they are incapable of seeing it would be far better for them if they could progress in this system seperately from their professions a.k.a it would be something new to do ingame, like hunting for transmogs currently is an entirely different activity.

The Glyph System should become way more front and center just like the previously mentioned Transmog system is now.

It deserves way more attention, than it currently gets.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Looks/Feels and Effect together affect how we play the game, so Yes, Glyphs/Character Design/Transmogs/Toys/Mounts etc. affect our overall gameplay experience while playing. That's the quintessential reason to play any RPG.

The fact that this system is still underdeveloped and used way less efficientely than how it should be used, despite the concept with Path of the Titans being more than a decade old, is a discussion in another matter.

For now, it is enough to decouple it from an unnecessary profession lock, and then we can iterate on it from there, to allow way more customization for players.

Not exactly, but I agree druid is certainly one of the more obvious ones. They are as much an integral part of the game as trasmog, but sadly not many peopel use it to their full potential.

I'd argue for permannetly unlocking them though class quests, and then they wuold become like the toy system/transmogrification system integrated to your character

Even the ethereals can be utilized to allow for switching glyhs like the other ethereal for switching transmogs
    Last edited by Yehaw; 2021-10-06 at 12:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehaw View Post
    Glyphs have become an intrinsic part of how we play our classes, too essential to be locked behind any arbitrary profession.

Instead of Glyphs, Scribes should become liek Alchemists in the sense of creating only temporary buffs like potions do.
    Eh, not needed. There's no general benefits in the glyphs for the fight, just flavour, so it is fair to permit people to create that flavour. Would love more of them, though.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

No they have not, I cannot remember the last time I checked what cosmetic Glyphs I was using, and there are not Glyphs with any real impact on the game. So what are you talking about?

That said, they are the whole point of the inscription profession, so removing them from that would be quite stupid. If you want something / need something in a profession you need top level it on your main or an alt. That's the whole concept of the game.

or, you know, just buy what you need with the thousands of gold you get every hour of playing....

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Eh, not needed. There's no general benefits in the glyphs for the fight, just flavour, so it is fair to permit people to create that flavour. Would love more of them, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Resheph View Post
    No they have not, I cannot remember the last time I checked what cosmetic Glyphs I was using, and there are not Glyphs with any real impact on the game. So what are you talking about?

That said, they are the whole point of the inscription profession, so removing them from that would be quite stupid. If you want something / need something in a profession you need top level it on your main or an alt. That's the whole concept of the game.

or, you know, just buy what you need with the thousands of gold you get every hour of playing....
    at resheph and gehco:

It doesn't have an impact on the game? Do you belong to those "who has the highest dps numbah" idiots?
    This is an RPG, it is the most fundamental part of the entire game.

It is far better to unlock them from quests/vendors/organically by reaching a certain level/achievement etc., literally anythign is better than the current shit.

Or,despite your asinine sugegstion to keep the old faulty system, instead of making one profession mandatory to have for at least one of your chars,
    just don't make any profession have an entire system locked behind it.
    No other prof does either.
    Suggesting otherwise is just plain stupid.
    Last edited by Yehaw; 2021-10-04 at 09:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    at resheph and gehco:

It doesn't have an impact on the game? Do you belong to those "who has the highest dps numbah" idiots?

It is far better to unlock them from quests/vendors/organically by reaching a certain level/achievement etc., literally anythign is better than the current shit.
    As a roleplayer, no, it does not impact the game.

It is flavor items that people may seek to tailor their character to fit their story, development, or vision of how to play their story.

Or,despite your asinine sugegstion to keep the old faulty system, instead of making one profession mandatory to have for at least one of your chars,
    just don't make any profession have permanent cosmetic stuff.
    So, with this attempt at a panic argument. Does this mean you want all transmog options from professions removed as well? They are as well mostly flavor for the game. It is sadly rare that low-level professions earn much, except for selling for transmogging.

As well, professions aren't mandatory to have to obtain what you may seek, mostly? There are other things, like crafting communities, friends, guild members, raid alliance, or even the auction house where you can purchase what you seek.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

at resheph and gehco:

So anyone who plays the game for different reasons than you is an "idiot" and only your personal opinion should be considered, and all others instantly dismissed. Yeah, thats a GREAT way to build a good game - listen to ONE person and ignore everyone else. You have left no room at all for any discussion and have shown already that you consider anyone who disagrees with you to be wrong, and an "idiot", so im really not sure where you think this thread will go.

at resheph and gehco:

Sorry for assuming you could be reasoned with. No sense in name calling.

Your arguments are silly. I have 30 characters I play, I am all about achievements, old dungeons, role playing.
    And I have not even looked at glyphs for 4 years. They are not necessary, and if they are I have two or three scribes.

That's called playing the game as intended. Not whining on the forums because a minimum of effort is required for some cosmetic tweaks...
    Seriously. You are what's wrong with WOW and these forums.

Only class where they are integral is balance druid.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

I'd like to see more glyphs that give customization options overall. Having more customization options is never a bad thing.

You mention temporary buffs. Do you mean like how they use to create scrolls?

When I first read your title I thought you meant something like once you hit a certain point on something, say Revered with a faction you could get a glyph that is crafted and unlocks 2x Rep on an alt. So you could do something where a Scribe creates X item and then you go to that faction and buy a separate item and then you combine the two items that create a special glyph (that is BoA) that you send to an alt and goes in a tab that unlocks things.

That would give Scribes something extra to craft similar to missives and would allow herbs to be used more. After that you buy an item that could costs 100g, 500g item or heck even 1,000g (can make it back in a calling) thus doing some slow removals of gold too. Nothing insane, but small constant things are better long term than just doing huge dumps and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    I'd like to see more glyphs that give customization options overall. Having more customization options is never a bad thing.

You mention temporary buffs. Do you mean like how they use to create scrolls?

When I first read your title I thought you meant something like once you hit a certain point on something, say Revered with a faction you could get a glyph that is crafted and unlocks 2x Rep on an alt. So you could do something where a Scribe creates X item and then you go to that faction and buy a separate item and then you combine the two items that create a special glyph (that is BoA) that you send to an alt and goes in a tab that unlocks things.

That would give Scribes something extra to craft similar to missives and would allow herbs to be used more. After that you buy an item that could costs 100g, 500g item or heck even 1,000g (can make it back in a calling) thus doing some slow removals of gold too. Nothing insane, but small constant things are better long term than just doing huge dumps and that's it.
    Exactly, more glyphs are welcome as well.

Doesn't change the fact that an entire customization system is locked behind an arbitrary profession.

It's just as idiotic as locking the entire transmog system behind enchanting for example. Yes, scrolls should be the main reason people play Scribes just as potions are the main reason people play alchemists.

Thank God that isn't the case, but I'm sure some less mentally savy people would argue in favor of it anyways.
    like how they are incapable of seeing it would be far better for them if they could progress in this system seperately from their professions a.k.a it would be something new to do ingame, like hunting for transmogs currently is an entirely different activity.

The Glyph System should become way more front and center just like the previously mentioned Transmog system is now.

It deserves way more attention, than it currently gets.
    Last edited by Yehaw; 2021-10-04 at 09:01 AM.

Glyphs have become an intrinsic part of how we play our classes
    No they haven't. They've become a part of how our characters look (and not a particularly big one), not how they play. They used to affect gameplay and it's sad that they removed that, but that's a different discussion entirely.

Keeping them behind Inscription is fine. Blizz just needs to you know...just let Inscription focus on it and make more. Ever since they got rid of DPS glyphs they had no idea on what the fuck they wanna do with Inscription. Are we the profession that makes lotto tickets now? Or the parasitic "oh this is for crafted gear....that everyone outgears by the time they hit max level...oh its for legendaries!"

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    No they haven't. They've become a part of how our characters look (and not a particularly big one), not how they play. They used to affect gameplay and it's sad that they removed that, but that's a different discussion entirely.
    Looks/Feels and Effect together affect how we play the game, so Yes, Glyphs/Character Design/Transmogs/Toys/Mounts etc. affect our overall gameplay experience while playing. That's the quintessential reason to play any RPG.

The fact that this system is still underdeveloped and used way less efficientely than how it should be used, despite the concept with Path of the Titans being more than a decade old, is a discussion in another matter.

For now, it is enough to decouple it from an unnecessary profession lock, and then we can iterate on it from there, to allow way more customization for players.
    Last edited by Yehaw; 2021-10-04 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Keeping them behind Inscription is fine. Blizz just needs to you know...just let Inscription focus on it and make more. Ever since they got rid of DPS glyphs they had no idea on what the fuck they wanna do with Inscription. Are we the profession that makes lotto tickets now? Or the parasitic "oh this is for crafted gear....that everyone outgears by the time they hit max level...oh its for legendaries!"
    in all honesty, lotto tickets would be a very welcome addition

Oh look, another thread by a burner account where the OP doesn't answer anyone who doesn't go along with their outrage bait narrative.

I wish they'd put much stronger limits on being able to create threads.
    If I don't respond to something you tagged me in, assume one of two things.
    1) Your post was too stupid to acknowledge, or
    2) Your post is cringe and not worth replying to.

Alternatively, if it happens a lot I probably have you blocked due to one of the above things. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Felis igneus View Post
    Only class where they are integral is balance druid.
    Not exactly, but I agree druid is certainly one of the more obvious ones. They are as much an integral part of the game as trasmog, but sadly not many peopel use it to their full potential.

I'd argue for permannetly unlocking them though class quests, and then they wuold become like the toy system/transmogrification system integrated to your character

- - - Updated - - -

Even the ethereals can be utilized to allow for switching glyhs like the other ethereal for switching transmogs

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what's professions are for and frankly seeing it's almost all cosmetic only, not even sure why it shouldn't stay that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    That's what's professions are for and frankly seeing it's almost all cosmetic only, not even sure why it shouldn't stay that way.
    Well you could argue for the transmogrification system being cosmetic only, so why is it not only on enchanting etc. etc.

The main reason to decouple it would be for added flavor and options for non-scribes, in addition to being a new activity of hunting down glyphs precious to you, instead of your only option being to just buy them off AH, which could very well remain an option among others as well.
    Scribes and other professions could even create some, just as some trasmog items are created by certain profs.

Quests or challenges to transmog your abilties would be a cool feature to have, and could even be something along the lines of warlock green fire and the like. Over time, this system can be expanded upon, to allow a vast array of visual and sometimes functional abiltiy fine-tuning as well, which offers an entirely new layer of character customization altogether
    Last edited by Yehaw; 2021-10-06 at 01:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you could argue for the transmogrification system being cosmetic only, so why is it not only on enchanting etc. etc.
    That's a kind of argument that went out of style in kindergarten. Transmogrification never was a profession feature, while glyphs were all along. Don't see much reason to make professions even less useful than they are. You will live with paying that 500g in AH for a glyph once in a blue moon.

That's a kind of argument that went out of style in kindergarten. Transmogrification never was a profession feature, while glyphs were all along.
    Ignoring your obvious copium on the matter,

How a feature started out, and its evolution path to become better is entirely irrelevant.

What matters is how a given system can become more exciting, and offer more to players, than previous iterations.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't see much reason to make professions even less useful than they are. You will live with paying that 500g in AH for a glyph once in a blue moon.
    The question is why should I if there are way more engaging ways for me to play instead?

No profession would become less, as there are ways to boost up its usefulness - introducing new useful scrolls for example? Literally anything can be improved upon.

Following your "logic", WoW would never have made it past alpha, since there would have been no improvements made whatsoever.
    Last edited by Yehaw; 2021-10-06 at 01:18 PM.