Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Empower View Post
    Yeah it really is... classic dealt with war crimes and children being tortured and went into detail about...hell they lobotomized people to permanently make them living slaves never mind naxx lore.

I admit my memories of tbc are dodgy but you can see them changing it right now.

I always find it weird for something to happen then immediately people claim it wont happen...
    Because you cant really claim "its getting lighter in tone" -- when those same things appear in multiple expansion past Cata. Like are you casually ignoring the themes in later expacs or do you just actually not know? I find it just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Being old and resenting change is normal, but an MMO has to keep changing or it'll stop being interesting.
    But Changing things just to change them is mostly bad. Im sick of Spec Reworks with almost every new addon, loosing all cool mechanics/skills that we got thru borrowed powers and seeing Shit System A got replaced with Shitsystem B and Shitsystem A get implemented with lower focus on it.

And its not fun to be forced to grind shit you dont wanna do so you can do the things you wanna do. "You dont wanna grind PvE Daylies, Raids and M+? To bad, so u will stuck on 1,6 forever in PvP!" "You dont wanna grind PvP? To bad, no BiS SHITSYSTEM-SKILL-NAME and perform much worse then people with bis"

Quote Originally Posted by TidalConflux View Post
    Because you cant really claim "its getting lighter in tone" -- when those same things appear in multiple expansion past Cata. Like are you casually ignoring the themes in later expacs or do you just actually not know? I find it just silly.
    They haven't and you have no examples. You can stop now or keep trying to talk around it.

They haven't and you have no examples. You can stop now or keep trying to talk around it.
    To be fair, we have an expansion now where the leader of a genocided race is told to "suck it up," and forgive the perpetrator.

Pretty dark if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    To be fair, we have an expansion now where the leader of a genocided race is told to "suck it up," and forgive the perpetrator.

I find it more a comedy the best kind an unintended one. I suppose it is dark if only I believed wows writers capable of meaning it to come off that way.

Except literally Mists had stories of the brutal nature of war on a civilian populace, slavery, war crimes, people being impaled visuals, torture, etc. Or are those not dark tones? Im also not including the Purge of Dalaran either since that is not clear in lore.

Except literally Mists had stories of the brutal nature of war on a civilian populace, slavery, war crimes, people being impaled visuals, torture, etc. Or are those not dark tones?
    It is how they are portrayed and displayed in game. Classic told stories of how and who it happened to. MoP was a bug moving on a spear unless you are counting the what if patch cutscene?

It is how they are portrayed and displayed in game. Classic told stories of how and who it happened to.
    Mists did that too. The slavery perspective is literally an overarching story about the Pandaren and the Zandalari, and isnt exactly shown in the game and told as a historical reference through quest text and side lore in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Ironically, for an expansion about death -- it aint exactly dark or eerie.
    Last edited by TidalConflux; 2021-10-03 at 03:06 PM.

Mists did that too. The slavery perspective is literally an overarching story about the Pandaren and the Zandalari, and isnt exactly shown in the game and told as a historical reference through quest text and side lore in the game.
    And none of it shows or goes into it... changes happen slowly and cumulatively speeding up slowly. They went through dozens of rewrites in the past month and I can't imagine it wont affect the future tone of the game. I always hate people who just passively accept things until it hits the point of no recovery.

And none of it shows or goes into it... changes happen slowly and cumulatively speeding up slowly. They went through dozens of rewrites in the past month and I can't imagine it wont affect the future tone of the game. I always hate people who just passively accept things until it hits the point of no recovery.
    Thats really a moot point, because the slavery is a historical point of reference and references to multiple times in the conflicts against the Zandalari, the Mogu, and Lei Shen. Its made to be important and is considered the breaking point of the Pandaren history. You probably could find some visual aspects of it somewhere (I believe the Horde did some form of slavery/prisoner abuse in the quests of Jade Forest from the perspective of Alliance).

But I dont understand the necessity of both sharing and telling, its kind of what makes the point so dark is because of the history of it. I feel like showing it would be too much in your face to the point of nonsensicalness to me. Sometimes stories do benefit off the theme of "tell, not show" when dealing with themes as it makes them too on the nose and makes them lose meaning.
    Last edited by TidalConflux; 2021-10-03 at 03:19 PM.

Thats really a moot point, because the slavery is a historical point of reference and references to multiple times in the conflicts against the Zandalari, the Mogu, and Lei Shen. Its made to be important and is considered the breaking point of the Pandaren history. You probably could find some visual aspects of it somewhere (I believe the Horde did some form of slavery/prisoner abuse in the quests of Jade Forest from the perspective of Alliance).

But I dont understand the necessity of both sharing and telling, its kind of what makes the point so dark is because of the history of it. I feel like showing it would be too much in your face to the point of nonsensicalness to me. Sometimes stories do benefit off the theme of "tell, not show" when dealing with themes as it makes them too on the nose and makes them lose meaning.
    If you can't go into details or see it from a first person as it's happening perspective it loses a massive amount of its punch. Was annoyed when then censored naxx and ulduar.

If you can't go into details or see it from a first person as it's happening perspective it loses a massive amount of its punch. Was annoyed when then censored naxx and ulduar.
    They do go into details within quests and in side lore that is in the game. I dont think its something you necessarily have to see if first person -- as there is enough reference and tie in with the Mogu/Zandalari quests within that expansion.

I would agree that the game gets lighter after Legion -- as too much of the gory details get put into actually books for sale and doesnt really reflect into the story in game; but Mists has those same elements of previous expansions just tied underneath a story about Pandarens.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triginhil View Post
    The snowflake generation finally grew up and got jobs at blizzard is all. Gone are the days of a fantasy game being fantasy. Instead, political correctness has to infiltrate every aspect of our lives for the next 30 or so years. It's fine, if they wont change the game for the better and instead focus on brownie points, they'll go broke even quicker.
    there have been snowflakes in every generation, not just this one.

They do go into details within quests and in side lore that is in the game. I dont think its something you necessarily have to see if first person -- as there is enough reference and tie in with the Mogu/Zandalari quests within that expansion.

I would agree that the game gets lighter after Legion -- as too much of the gory details get put into actually books for sale and doesnt really reflect into the story in game; but Mists has those same elements of previous expansions just tied underneath a story about Pandarens.
    I think your missing the point myself... hearing about horrible things happening off screen isn't comparable with it being shown.

The game moved to become lighter and now its moving further to take any kind of interesting edge off it.

Maybe you can count the maw if you squint but to be frank I have no idea how soul fragments work or why.

I think your missing the point myself... hearing about horrible things happening off screen isn't comparable with it being shown.

The game moved to become lighter and now its moving further to take any kind of interesting edge off it.

Maybe you can count the maw if you squint but to be frank I have no idea how soul fragments work or why.
    I think my thing is -- I dont need to see it understand its supposed to be dark if its well told and explained. Unlike the Maw which isnt exactly done well and relies too much on visual details with very little backing to be counted as dark.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    there have been snowflakes in every generation, not just this one.
    There is truth. The problem is in validating them.

When your kid wants something at the supermarket and throws themselves on the floor kicking their arms and legs screaming when you tell them no, you don't then tell them yes. Too many people (and companies) are telling them yes.

There is truth. The problem is in validating them.

When your kid wants something at the supermarket and throws themselves on the floor kicking their arms and legs screaming when you tell them no, you don't then tell them yes. Too many people (and companies) are telling them yes.
    Or maybe the companies see the people screeching about SJW infiltration and secret ninja progressives as the kicking, screaming children and have no intention of going backwards just to avoid a tantrum.

I was feeling it! doing the quests for Pamela Redpath.kinda rips into you; a ghost of a little girl that wants you to find her doll..every step felt like a gut punch

and then there was "Alicia's poem" memorializing a player that died of leukemia. (In game memorials for those interested)

I laughed maniacally doing "Gnomebliteration," oh...wait..."
    Welcome to the Machine" an entire quest chain that is probably getting scrutiny today. And "Maximillian of Northshire" saving damsels in distress...which was Monty Python comedic...
    Last edited by Shadowferal; 2021-10-03 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Or maybe the companies see the people screeching about SJW infiltration and secret ninja progressives as the kicking, screaming children and have no intention of going backwards just to avoid a tantrum.
    >secret ninja progressives
    they're not particularly secretive now are they

or are you going to tell me it's actually conservatives getting upset enough about 13ish year old "your momma" jokes in the game to get them removed?

I think my thing is -- I dont need to see it understand its supposed to be dark if its well told and explained. Unlike the Maw which isnt exactly done well and relies too much on visual details with very little backing to be counted as dark.
    True but coming full circle I think I've shown my point on how things are changed.