15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I see this is going to get off topic, but needless to say that Avatar was well regarded for the spectacle and technology on display, not so much for basically being the big-budget version of Pocahontas thinking it was really clever.
    Doesn't that just show that "different" is possible to make it acceptable? Amazon could have certainly created a story where a native group of people could have been the enemies or at least a faction in the game. Instead the world is a little hollow with no real conflict and the big 3 factions kind of existing outside of that story. They certainly took the easy route and there is nothing wrong with that.

The Angry earth seems pretty much to be the evolution of that "native people" idea from what I can tell and watching a dev video about it.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Doesn't that just show that "different" is possible to make it acceptable?
    No. Again, the spectacle and technology sold the film, not the story.

Amazon could have certainly created a story where a native group of people could have been the enemies or at least a faction in the game.
    Then it would have been a completely different game and not the game the started out making, nor the game they ended up making. New World was never, and is still not, a story-focused MMO or an MMO trying to deliver any kind of message or anything. It's a product, simple as that. That's not a bad thing mind you, but you need to be more than a product if you're going to start making games around historical/social issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    any spearbros here? i play dex, and pairing it with musket, but i prefer opening with spears skewer than muskets powder burn. what other weapon would make the most sense to pair it with spear?
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    any spearbros here? i play dex, and pairing it with musket, but i prefer opening with spears skewer than muskets powder burn. what other weapon would make the most sense to pair it with spear?
    I'm rocking spear/bow but still considering swapping spear to something else so I'm not double thrusting damage. I'm in the zoner tree mostly and it's working well, lots of ways to lower cooldowns and a few knockdowns so it makes most combat fairly simple. Bow is good for getting a bit of damage in before they get to me, plus has a nice little jump back skill.

15+ Year Old Account
    Then it would have been a completely different game and not the game the started out making, nor the game they ended up making. New World was never, and is still not, a story-focused MMO or an MMO trying to deliver any kind of message or anything. It's a product, simple as that. That's not a bad thing mind you, but you need to be more than a product if you're going to start making games around historical/social issues.
    And yet there is story and lore that they created, weird right? They did release lore videos about the enemies. You don't have to be story focused in order to have a story. Lol. Every game is a product. The reason why you keep dismissing the story of Avatar is because it had other high points but they even released books (or planned to do so to grow the story). Calling New World, and Avatar, products is ignoring and dismissing their story when convenient.

The story is a minor part of the game but it still exists.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

i'm a musket/hatchet guy i love it. but i need to start leveling up something more appropriate for dungeons if more of them will be part of the mainstory. ice gauntlet is pretty nice and i've played it paired with rapier and that's a nice combo but melee sucks ass in dungeons. so thinking maybe fire staff?
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

And yet there is story and lore that they created, weird right? They did release lore videos about the enemies. You don't have to be story focused in order to have a story. Lol. Every game is a product. The reason why you keep dismissing the story of Avatar is because it had other high points but they even released books (or planned to do so to grow the story). Calling New World, and Avatar, products is ignoring and dismissing their story when convenient.

The story is a minor part of the game but it still exists.
    It's insulting to even call that a story when Avatar's pitch can be summed up by "natives=good; military forces=bad". It's a placeholder at best.
    Last edited by Barzotti; 2021-10-06 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    That's a good thing? says who? when did society collectively morph into those early 2000's suburban housewives that believe evil things in video games encourage evil things in real life?

this game had a chance to depict something genuinely challenging and interesting
    It's a mass market MMO made by friggin Amazon where the story is insignificant compared to the crafting and PvP. Go play Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire or something if you want something that tackles heavy topics such as colonization seriously.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

I'm 10 hours in and I'm starting to get bored. I see streamers at 50 doing the same things I'm doing at 20. I understand this is just launch content but it's incredibly repetitive. In WoW there are a couple caves that get reused a lot, but I feel like that's basically this whole game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratt View Post
    I'm 10 hours in and I'm starting to get bored. I see streamers at 50 doing the same things I'm doing at 20. I understand this is just launch content but it's incredibly repetitive. In WoW there are a couple caves that get reused a lot, but I feel like that's basically this whole game.
    it pretty much is. its like getting thrown into adventure mode from diablo 3 or retails WoW WQs from the very beginning of the game, repeating the same shit over and over again.

its like, the single main story quest chain that takes u all over the world, then there are side quests for each zone upon which town board and faction NPC repeatable quests are based on. its literally all just that.

these are the things i give this game 2/10 for, but then theres stuff like gathering and crafting that i give 8/10. combat compared to WoW is just different, its neither better or worse. its just fine. overall i give this game 6/10, or maybe 7/10, for being b2p without subscription business model

15+ Year Old Account
    That is the design of the game. You don't even need to change zones if you don't want to. Crafting, Town Board, and Faction quests can offer XP. Repetitiveness is part of the design though it would be nice if things had a little more variety. I wish we could track chests as some locations seem to make them more difficult to find and at least one asked for 5 when I'm pretty sure it only had 1.

Oh man they are still at it lol!
    It's weird how much time people will spend bitching about something they don't like.
    Or rather, upset by someone else liking something they don't.
    Making accusations that others don't realize they aren't having fun BUT THEY WILL.
    Prophets I guess huh.
    Weird how for being psychic you're wasting such wonderful powers on a game forum for something you hate.

ITT:
    People who gather to talk about a game they like are "wanting an echo chamber".
    So any forum anywhere discussing something people like is the same.

So I recommend:
    Start heading to every forum here first, then the rest of the internet and likewise show everyone the truth.
    I mean why waste your time just here when the whole net exists for you to do this.
    Start with Reddit.
    Go to every forum where people are enjoying something you don't and have at it.
    Best head to Mumsnet and explain what kids are really like to moms!
    Right?
    It's the same right?
    Go and tell people not to enjoy the things they like cause your reasons.
    Sounds good right?
    Best use of your time and energy right?

You know how many games are on this very forum and I've never even visited the thread because..
    YOU GUESSED IT!
    I don't care for the game.
    Maybe I should rethink that, start heading into them and telling them what an echo chamber it is and explain to them that they don't in fact enjoy it and are:
    Honeymooning!
    Sounds good right?
    I mean sounds sane right?
    Not totally insane right?
    See the relevance?
    See how IT IS.
    Yet you persist.
    You have lots of work to do heading off to EVERYWHERE so I expect progress soon.
    I want to hear all about your time spent on FB in some rando thread about model planes you don't like doing the same altruistic justice you've done here.
    If not, I'll be disappointed.
    The world needs heroes.
    Why stop here!?
    With just this one game?
    With just this one thread?

Because people can't figure out what they like until they are told by some rando old dude on the net right?
    Whew, I'm glad you're here.
    Saved us.

P.S.
    Man these posts are way more fun to write then yours are to read.

The game is not linearly driven. You just kinda hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by xpsync View Post
    Yeah i get it, i mean every day i just fall more in love with it, which is surprising, normally i'm finding much i don't like by now, instead i'm finding more and more that i love.

Perfect???? HELL NO!!! But the pro's far outweigh the cons.

I mean i bugged out last night with the dead no respawn, and it hit me even more how hooked i am on this game, and thought about activating the second slot, but persisted on trying to get my main back in game also made me realize how attached i am to my character.

I mean go through my posts, the excitement level increases every day, i knew in my gut first hour this was all that, but from years of let downs i tried to not let happen or let myself get that way, but even last night combat is starting to click and am like omg this game is so f'ing good.

I kinda thought it was hack in slash, but nope skill required, or not, as due to no kindergarten level scaling you could out level and come back, or git gud, which i am, i was thrilled af last night when it all started to come together and kicking multiple higher level npc's ass, pvp not so much yet, i mean i won a couple duels but usually getting my ass handed to me there most of the time (for now), but pvp in team, oh hell yeah, omg so fun.

Well it's not much of stretch to understand why this forum is going to die, and no sub forum will ever be created, no reason bothering anymore, so, peace out all, pleasure to meet you all, been fun, and it's a shame so many don't know the meaning of that word anymore.

Bookmarking this for your inevitable return.

P.S. Your signature is apt and speaks volumes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is there any idea when server transfers will be coming? I followed a friend and now he doesn't seem to be interested in playing anymore -_- And while I'm not high level, I feel I've done too much on my char to start over fresh on another server.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Is there any idea when server transfers will be coming? I followed a friend and now he doesn't seem to be interested in playing anymore -_- And while I'm not high level, I feel I've done too much on my char to start over fresh on another server.
    Apparently today's patch started laying the foundation for it, so likely in the coming weeks. I imagine things will get kinda messy, but IIRC they should be free for a bit. Hopefully they'll do another round of free transfers whenever they start closing/merging servers too. Otherwise it sounds like a paid feature.

15+ Year Old Account
    Apparently today's patch started laying the foundation for it, so likely in the coming weeks. I imagine things will get kinda messy, but IIRC they should be free for a bit. Hopefully they'll do another round of free transfers whenever they start closing/merging servers too. Otherwise it sounds like a paid feature.
    Darn. Well I guess I have 3 options: Start fresh on a new server now (not like the stuff I've done on my current char is time lost, I've learnt a lot about the game), stay on current server and try finding an English speaking company (seems most are Danish >_<), or wait for those (free) server transfers...

Given the mystery surounding the trailers, It's possible that they can start building quality lore for future content. Nothing is really set in stone, things are cryptic, there is a powerful magic and a lot of exploration which can be used to unravel new mysteries.

10+ Year Old Account
    which CRAFTING professions use the least mats, preferably none, from each other, so i can max them out before anything else? name 3, hell even 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    which CRAFTING professions use the least mats, preferably none, from each other, so i can max them out before anything else? name 3, hell even 2
    woodcutting and stone cutting, it will be mind numbingly boring and tedious but you could conceivably lvl up both of those professions from just mining stone and logging wood from outside a settlement > refine inside > sell/store to empty bags > repeat process over ad nauseum.