10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by formerShandalay View Post
    I think in a scenario where Strange and Chavez are on the hunt through different universes and they come across the one where Xavier exists, he could show up. Not that he would somehow find his way to the MCU-universe and from then on be their Professor Xavier. I really hope they find a good actor to play MCU Xavier (and other mutants) who wants to stay around for a long time, if they choose to have mutants in a bigger capacity.
    I'm just not sure why the MCU would bother. If they don't produce a "better" version than the Fox films (good luck), fans won't be satisfied with the portrayal. While that won't ruin a movie, when the MCU is basically hitting everything out of the park no matter how wonky the pitch, why take a risk with a bunt like the X-men?

I just don't see that they bring anything meaningful to the series that wouldn't amount to a retread. The Fox films repurposed the "allegory for racism" angle of the comics into "allegory for LGBT hate" in their films, but the MCU has taken a stance of "fuck allegory, let's stop beating around the bush and talk about actual racism", both in Black Panther and particularly in Falcon and the Winter Soldier. While I'm not particularly happy with their representation on other fronts, I'd rather they actually introduce LGBT characters and tell those stories directly rather than using an inevitably clumsy allegory (since, with mutants, it's not just "I love who I love and why can't you accept that", it's "when I get angry, I make things explode" or "I accidentally kill everything in a 100-meter radius of me", which is obviously harder to swallow for completely legitimate reasons).

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'm just not sure why the MCU would bother. If they don't produce a "better" version than the Fox films (good luck), fans won't be satisfied with the portrayal. While that won't ruin a movie, when the MCU is basically hitting everything out of the park no matter how wonky the pitch, why take a risk with a bunt like the X-men?

I just don't see that they bring anything meaningful to the series that wouldn't amount to a retread. The Fox films repurposed the "allegory for racism" angle of the comics into "allegory for LGBT hate" in their films, but the MCU has taken a stance of "fuck allegory, let's stop beating around the bush and talk about actual racism", both in Black Panther and particularly in Falcon and the Winter Soldier. While I'm not particularly happy with their representation on other fronts, I'd rather they actually introduce LGBT characters and tell those stories directly rather than using an inevitably clumsy allegory (since, with mutants, it's not just "I love who I love and why can't you accept that", it's "when I get angry, I make things explode" or "I accidentally kill everything in a 100-meter radius of me", which is obviously harder to swallow for completely legitimate reasons).
    I agree they should totally not push all 'representation' onto mutants and otherwise pretend their world is fine. Although I do think that having mutants is just another layer of having superheroes and we already have people hating them, fearing them and wanting to lock them away, to only use when a threat comes around and/or for their own agendas in the MCU, I don't think mutants would turn people's attention away from the real life-like issues too much. I mean, you have Hayward hating 'enhanced' and still have racial profiling in FatWS (just as an example). If they go more for the 'freedom vs security' route they could use mutants better. Not that I think they can find actual real life solutions from a comic book universe, but it could make people talk and think about it and ways to handle it, seeing both the legitimate concerns of people fearing for their lives and looking for control and people not wanting to control every aspect of life just so nothing bad ever happens. As the two extremes I mean, there is of course obviously an area between, but these things often get weighed against each other and there's a lot to learn and talk about in this regard. The mutants could serve as an anchor for stories about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The Fox films were alright, but they weren’t even mid-tier Marvel overall. Not sure why you think Marvel will screw it up.
    It's not that I think they'll "screw it up", it's that I don't see that they have much to gain, particularly not by trying to "save" the casts from the Fox films by re-using them.

Their motivation, btw, is profits. Spider-Man and the X-Men have been massively popular for Marvel. Leaving them on the table isn’t an option. Especially since Deadpool 3 is in production already. Thus ensuring they introduce X-Men done by Disney. And it’s supposed to be R-rated even. *gasp*
    The standard here is going to be "compared to any other MCU film". Is an MCU X-series film going to top a billion dollars at the box office reliably, outperforming most other MCU properties?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...revenue-x-men/
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ffice-revenue/

While there's some inflation going on there (in both lists, and between lists), I think it's pretty clear that the top-end X-men films only did as well as the middling-level MCU films. A total of three films topping $700 mil globally, and showing a clear decline if you look at the newer entries (Dark Phoenix and New Mutants bottoming the chart), where the MCU films, generally, show a growth over time in terms of revenue (ignoring post-Endgame somewhat, since the pandemic has screwed direct comparisons there).

If the X-men brand isn't expected to kick it over the billion-dollar mark, I'm not sure there's much to gain in producing one for the MCU, over basically any other Marvel property they care to bother with. I'm sure an MCU X-men film could top the $700 mil mark, but so is basically everything (again, ignoring the pandemic's effects) these days. And bringing back the old casts is gonna be costly, too; they're all pretty high-end talents, price-wise, and you need the lot of them if you're doing an X-men movie (cue Deadpool recurring gag).

It's not impossible. I'm not gonna be shocked if they do one. I just don't personally think it's the slam-dunk obviously-happening thing some fans seem to think it is.

On a barely-related note, we have Monica Rambeau now. I dearly hope someone at Marvel is considering a Nextwave film at some point. It'd actually be a pretty unique twist on the usual cycle of MCU films, given that Nextwave does not take itself remotely seriously.

7+ Year Old Account
    There is a leak and an article on one of those Hollywood magazines about a character from the X-men showing up and that it is Professor X. Some even said Wolverine too, because of a few Hugh Jackman tweets (was sometime a few months back, can't remember off the top of my head what exactly it was). And last year there was the interview with Patrick Steward, where he said he had met with Kevin Feige, but he wasn't actually coming back (which was, of course, questioned, because they all say that until they are officially announced ^^). But so far those are all leaks and rumors and nothing has actually been confirmed by Marvel.

America Chavez had been announced when the movie was announced. Thing is, I think she makes former X-men characters more likely, because hopping through the multiverse is kind of her thing. But that is just my take on it, of course.
    i rly would not want hugh jackman to come back, i think tis the perferct oportuntiy to start fresh with the x-man in the MCU

they can recast some actors from FOX, for sure(like using the old actor for Xavier), but i think a new actor, more close to the comics(small/hairy) for Wolwerine would be better for the long run

10+ Year Old Account
    It’s a multiverse where they’re shouting out previous incarnations of their characters, see No Way Home… there’s a lot to indicate we could see similar shit in Multiverse of Madness. See Wandavision.
    No Way Home is a Sony property, so there's other considerations. While Marvel's on-board with what Sony's doing, No Way Home is very much Sony trying to establish their "Spider-verse" by backdooring all their earlier Spider-man properties into the MCU on a technicality.

Which is neat, don't get me wrong. I'm not against it. There's just a very specific corporate objective being played out, there, which makes it a unique situation as compared to a "normal" MCU property.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    they can recast some actors from FOX, for sure(like using the old actor for Xavier), but i think a new actor, more close to the comics(small/hairy) for Wolwerine would be better for the long run
    Seriously, Logan should be cast more like "a young Danny Devito" than "a heartthrob leading man".

10+ Year Old Account
    Devito is a good 5 inches shorter than Logan. And at those heights that’s massive. Just stop.
    "More like". Not "exactly that in every way". I was talking about kicking it further towards "Danny Devito" on a sliding scale, not ramping it all the way there.

7+ Year Old Account
    Again, start with officially announced news before diving into “leaks”.

In actual news, word is Agatha is getting her own spin-off.
    i start with what i want, i was reading something and the doctor strange leak was together with then, and wanted to share, im not looking close to news about yet.

And about Aghata, i fail to see how (and why) they can do a show for her after that final, but im intrigued of what the purpose is.

7+ Year Old Account
    Perfect opportunity to start fresh yet let’s dig deep for bringing back Prof X so hard we confuse a common last name for a mashup of Charles and Xavier. From Chavez… you’re so funny.
    He is a good actor, he did a good job in the character, they already explained there is multiverse and different variants can look the same, why not?

and why are you so triggered about that simple mistake? this is actually funny

Seriously, Logan should be cast more like "a young Danny Devito" than "a heartthrob leading man".
    for sure, it would be fun to see the public reaction when they bring a small logan into the scene, there is a lot of people who think he is like in the movies, tall and slender.

I did like Hugh jackman movies, to an extend, but he never gave me the feels of wolverine.

- - - Updated - - -

You can’t see a prequel? Really? Yet you thought the name Chavez was a mashup of Charles and Xavier. Fascinating.

As to why… she’s massively popular. I know, hard to imagine with her being a woman and all.
    im not a fan of prequels that much no, but i was more expecting continuation, that i wanted to see with i dunno interaction with other heroes..

Ah, now you are showing your true colors, you are hurt because i was disappointed with Xaiver, and think i hate women, and now you are trying those weak jabs, grow up man

"More like". Not "exactly that in every way". I was talking about kicking it further towards "Danny Devito" on a sliding scale, not ramping it all the way there.
    I think the amusing part of it is how many leading men are short and they make them look taller for their roles. So casting a short wolverine probably wouldn't be as hard as getting one of the actors to play his own height.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

A series about Agatha sounds cool to me. Maybe they show a bit more about how she grew up in that coven, what happened to them and of course how Agatha came into possession of 'forbidden power'. And of course all of her exploits through the centuries.
    The best thing in this case is, she isn't even dead, so after they did her prequel she can still have a place in the MCU moving forward.

7+ Year Old Account
    A series about Agatha sounds cool to me. Maybe they show a bit more about how she grew up in that coven, what happened to them and of course how Agatha came into possession of 'forbidden power'. And of course all of her exploits through the centuries.
    The best thing in this case is, she isn't even dead, so after they did her prequel she can still have a place in the MCU moving forward.
    the thing with me is how that does not feel very MCU-like, like the other series so far

but i guess its a good way to start bringing those themes to the MCU, like they can slowly introduce vampires and werewolves as well with the witches and covens.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    the thing with me is how that does not feel very MCU-like, like the other series so far

but i guess its a good way to start bringing those themes to the MCU, like they can slowly introduce vampires and werewolves as well with the witches and covens.
    Oh, good point, they could maybe start along some 'darker' MCU paths with the medieval times and show how those creatures and maybe some darker witch covens were hiding after being hunted for so long. They could even show some Black Knight stuff too, with the ancestors of Kid Harington's Black Knight, who is going to show up in Eternals.
    If they do it that way, they can maybe maintain it as a 'secret society' working in the shadows, the 'good' as well as the 'evil' to avoid having to throw them into all movies and other series.

Agatha wasn’t alive during medieval times.
    Yea, you're right, it was later.

Still, I think at least with coven histories they could be going back to medieval, showing how the superstitions grew and resulted in witch hunts. In this case mixing actual monsters and witches with the absurdity of killing just about everybody that was perceived as 'strange' or witch-hunting people that were simply in your way of gaining more power/wealth. And, of course, how the real monsters mostly got away. Might make for some very candid commentary.
    But they can also keep that in the late 16hundreds and going forward, there's still enough to explore even without Black Knight origins.

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh, good point, they could maybe start along some 'darker' MCU paths with the medieval times and show how those creatures and maybe some darker witch covens were hiding after being hunted for so long. They could even show some Black Knight stuff too, with the ancestors of Kid Harington's Black Knight, who is going to show up in Eternals.
    If they do it that way, they can maybe maintain it as a 'secret society' working in the shadows, the 'good' as well as the 'evil' to avoid having to throw them into all movies and other series.
    yeah, this is what i though as well. they are slowly grinding the gears together, with thunderbolts, secret wars, and now this. Its a good way to prepare people so they don't get the "what the fuck is this?"

I for one, am rly hyped for the new Blade by example, but i know a lot of people don't know he is part of marvel universe, this could hlep to put things together for the general public, same for Ghost rider.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thunderbolts and YA. Secret War isn’t a factor right now.
    how secret wars isn't a factor? they are slowly going for that putting the aliens here and there

Or they could move forward after the repercussions of Multiverse of Madness. We really don’t know what’s coming there with regards to Wanda, and tangentially Agatha.
    I don't recall where I read this recently but there is a major leak/summary that is out(whether true or not idk) that says

Wanda's desire to find her children turns her into the primary villain and the voices she heard at the end of WandaVision were from her kids in an alternative universe where an alt Wanda also exists. She is able to send herself there astrally but is searching for a way to get to them physically because she thinks they are in danger. Dr. Strange is called in to deal with the problem by powerful beings from this other universe because its putting their universe at risk due to Wanda summoning demons with the book of Shadows. This includes a secretive group there on the alt earth with comic ties.

7+ Year Old Account
    It’s far less of a factor than YA and Thunderbolts, both of which have have very up front intros to multiple characters. Secret Wars has had CM and a minor callout or two in What If…?
    it is minor but they are definetly setting up for that

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Time travel and Multiple universes are the quickest way to make any level of continuity and engagement in the story disappear completely for me - and MCU is doing both it seems.

I can't fathom caring about these movies after Endgame
    i don't like time travel that much either, but i can get behind multiverse, if its done right i think its cool.

They are doing that for spider man and im hyped as fuck by example

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I seriously think people need to drop the idea that the X-men are ever gonna show up, particularly as a continuation from the Fox films. At best, they'll cast new people in the roles and start their stories fresh. There's a lot of baggage with the Fox films, and most of that baggage is . . . not really worth bringing in.

"But Hugh Jackman!" People should recall when that casting was first announced. "The 6' tall rom-com song-and-dance guy? As Wolverine? GTFO!" He made it work, because he's a good actor and threw himself into the role, but that casting wasn't the kind of perfect fit that RDJ or Chris Evans were for their respective roles in the MCU. You're just used to Jackman in the role, by now.

And he had a perfect sendoff. In his best film in the role. In Logan.

Other than Jackman, there's Stewart and McKellen as Xavier and Magneto, and they're both old. Like, super old. I can't see them reprising those roles at this stage. Hell, two of Stewart's latest reprisals of his classic characters (Logan, and ST: Picard) were both framed from a "he's so old" perspective. The actors the MCU would be most likely to poach for those roles are the First Class cast, and they were fine. But they aren't the ones people rave about in the roles, in the first place.

Narratively, you can make pretty much anything work. But in practical terms, I just don't see that cast resurfacing in the MCU, the way some fans seem to think is inevitable.
    Actors aside, they’re going to have to edit the backstory for Magneto - if he is a teenager in WW2 then that puts him at about 90 years old now.